Author Topic: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with moment of betrayal!)  (Read 1197882 times)

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
Re: Dream Theater: The Astonishing
« Reply #1155 on: November 18, 2015, 11:12:32 PM »
So now we know, NOMAC = Noise Machine

Nice catch.

The "s" should still be lowercase, though!

I don't think so. Look, NOMACS is not an acronym, it's an abbreviation ;  with the other letters as capital letters, I don't see why the "s" shouldn't be a capital letter as well.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #1156 on: November 18, 2015, 11:41:47 PM »
Or, you know, it's just what the rebels call them since it fits...

Offline alexofsweden

« Reply #1157 on: November 19, 2015, 01:09:24 AM »
1. 2285 entr´acte

Except "2285 Entr'acte" doesn't have the NOMAC symbol..  ;)

Did you read the whole post?  ::)

Offline alexofsweden

« Reply #1158 on: November 19, 2015, 01:35:34 AM »
I´ll continue to speculate around my theories, that the nomacs are the actual songs and the rest are parts. Yes i know there´s no Nomac icon in the 2:nd act...but maybe they´ll show in the next update.

Btw, look at the Nomac...there´s 3 eyes on both sides...3 speakers...3 eyes= 2 discs with 3 songs on each disc. ACT 1is the "The Great Northern Empire" and disc 2 "The Ravenskill Rebel Militia"..."choose your side"

ACT I

1. Descent of the Nomacs

I. Dystophian Overture
II. The Gift of Music
III. The Answer
IV. A Better Life
V. Lord Nafaryus
VI. A Savior in the Square
VII. When Your Time Has Come
VIII. Act of Fayte
IX. Three Days

2. The Hovering Sojourn

I. Brother, Can You Hear Me
II. A Life Left Behind
III. Ravenskill
IV. Chosen
V. A Tempting Offer

3. Digital Discord

I. The X Aspect
II. A New Beginning
III. The Road To Revolution

ACT II

1. 2285 entr´acte

I. Moment Of Betrayal
II. Heaven´s Cove

NOMAC = Noise Machine...hm that makes my theory even more possible, right? They´ve written NOMACS, that would mean there´s not just one NOMAC but many NOMACS...Sooooo, a noise machine could indicate a song! We´ll see in the next update if they´ll include a NOMAC icon after "2285 entr´acte"
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 02:18:30 AM by alexofsweden »

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #1159 on: November 19, 2015, 01:45:13 AM »
In my first impression of the NOMACS I thought of the "Rovers" from the British TV series "The Prisoner," and I wonder if they serve the Northern Empire in a similar policing role.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1160 on: November 19, 2015, 02:06:19 AM »
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1161 on: November 19, 2015, 02:11:20 AM »
So, I'm getting emails from Commander Arhys now. Love it! Also, will there be full-scale NOMACS in the theater tour? That would be AWESOME!!
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline alexofsweden

« Reply #1162 on: November 19, 2015, 02:18:02 AM »

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1163 on: November 19, 2015, 02:26:45 AM »
But Alex, there are some problems with your theory... namely:

- The NOMAC icon is not there. It appeared immediately for all the other tracks that have it.
- The tracklist is presented with the number of the tracks, which very likely will be the tracks of the CD. If there were a different order, or sub-sections like with False Awakening Suite and Illumination Theory, why would they withold it?
- Entr'acte means a musical intermission between two acts. At the beginning you have the overture, in the middle you have an entr'acte. Imagine you would see a tentative tracklist for the second disc of Six Degrees, with track 1 Overture, track 2 About to Crash, track 3 War Inside My Head etc etc - you'd be assuming, because of a NOMAC icon next to the Overture, that Overture is the name to the entire piece and that the first real song is About to Crash.

There's no way a longer epic with many tracks is called Entr'acte just as there is no way that it would be called Overture. 2285 Entr'Acte will be an instrumental that starts up the second disc, that's all.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1164 on: November 19, 2015, 02:38:42 AM »

- everything
Fixed.

All the speculation in this thread is pretty silly (and fun of course), but Alex wins in that regard I think.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #1165 on: November 19, 2015, 02:44:27 AM »
My guess is that each act is divided into parts, like Transatlantic - The Whirlwind.
The difference is that The Whirlwind is ment to be one song divided into sections.
In the case of The Astonishing I think each act is more or less one large chunk of music that flows together. Some parts are short instrumental transitions, some parts longer pieces of music and some tracks are individual songs dedicated to one particular character and/or event.
It seems the shape of the album is ment to be like a musical (or rock opera in this case).
I really don't think one song, say "Digital Discord" (just an example) will be divided into:
Digital Discord:
I. The X Aspect
II. A New Beginning
III. The Road to Revolution

I'ts really interesting to see what the NOMACS-symbol behind some songs mean.
Maybe it's just noises from the NOMACS. Maybe instrumental transitions.
The whole thing is really exciting!

2285 Entr'acte is definitely intermission music. Probably an overture to the second act, or made as a piece of music that gets played over the speakers during the intermission of the live-show.

Offline alexofsweden

« Reply #1166 on: November 19, 2015, 02:44:41 AM »

- The NOMAC icon is not there. It appeared immediately for all the other tracks that have it.
- The tracklist is presented with the number of the tracks, which very likely will be the tracks of the CD. If there were a different order, or sub-sections like with False Awakening Suite and Illumination Theory, why would they withold it?
- Entr'acte means a musical intermission between two acts. At the beginning you have the overture, in the middle you have an entr'acte. Imagine you would see a tentative tracklist for the second disc of Six Degrees, with track 1 Overture, track 2 About to Crash, track 3 War Inside My Head etc etc - you'd be assuming, because of a NOMAC icon next to the Overture, that Overture is the name to the entire piece and that the first real song is About to Crash.

There's no way a longer epic with many tracks is called Entr'acte just as there is no way that it would be called Overture. 2285 Entr'Acte will be an instrumental that starts up the second disc, that's all.

You´re porblaby right  ;) But i´m kinda hoping they´re trolling us with tracklisting  :metal making us speculate

Offline alexofsweden

« Reply #1167 on: November 19, 2015, 02:47:04 AM »

- everything
Fixed.

All the speculation in this thread is pretty silly (and fun of course), but Alex wins in that regard I think.

:lol haha yeah my theory is silly, kinda fun though  :biggrin:

Offline Nefarius

• Named Nefarius since before it was cool.
« Reply #1168 on: November 19, 2015, 02:55:41 AM »
"...yield to the melodious siren call from distant Ravenskill..."

melodious

MELODIOUS

Greetings...
Nef

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #1169 on: November 19, 2015, 04:34:51 AM »
What if... When more tracks show up the NOMACS (NOise MACShine   ;D ) icon appears in Moment of Betrayal? It could really be a double act in a single CD, with the 2285 Entr'Acte dividing it, possibily being a 8/9 song album in the end.

BUTT nonetheless, I'm still intrigued with the abscence of roman numerals, so who knows...

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1170 on: November 19, 2015, 04:35:57 AM »
I don't think there's any way this isn't a double album.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #1171 on: November 19, 2015, 05:25:29 AM »
theres no way this album is shorter than 2 hours

Offline shredd

• Always Awake
  • ROCK ON!
« Reply #1172 on: November 19, 2015, 05:36:06 AM »
no

I was just speculating like everybody else is right now Kotowboy, but hey thanks for the warm welcome to DTF
We move in circles - Balanced all the while - On a gleaming razor's edge
A perfect sphere - Colliding with our fate - This story ends where it began

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1173 on: November 19, 2015, 05:38:20 AM »
People are really starting to bend the evidence towards what they want, rather than what the evidence actually suggests. That is, in my experience, one of the very best ways to end up disappointed.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1174 on: November 19, 2015, 05:41:44 AM »
no

I was just speculating like everybody else is right now Kotowboy, but hey thanks for the warm welcome to DTF

:) Sorry about that but we've had pages and pages of people guessing Metropolis 3 based on nothing :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1175 on: November 19, 2015, 05:44:16 AM »
People are really starting to bend the evidence towards what they want, rather than what the evidence actually suggests. That is, in my experience, one of the very best ways to end up disappointed.

People have been bending the evidence (and often the lack thereof) since before DT entered the studio. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1176 on: November 19, 2015, 05:49:14 AM »
I can vouch for Noxon's credentials.   
And I can vouch for Bosk's credentials! :D
I can vouch for TAC's credentials.

:TAC:

Actually Hef, those be my credentials... I'll own it!  TAC has shamed me a few times...

You can have it bro! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1177 on: November 19, 2015, 05:50:28 AM »

People have been bending the evidence (and often the lack thereof) since before DT entered the studio. :lol

Every new album cycle - everyone says the next album will be a concept album. Wonder what they'll say next time  :biggrin:

Offline shredd

• Always Awake
  • ROCK ON!
« Reply #1178 on: November 19, 2015, 05:52:10 AM »
no

:) Sorry about that but we've had pages and pages of people guessing Metropolis 3 based on nothing :lol

All good man  :metal
People have been guessing A LOT based on nothing so I though I'd throw my 2 cents in
For example the people who think "The Gift Of Music" will be the most accessible track/first single
For all we know it could be the heaviest song DT has ever made (doubtful though, I know)

Anyway I'm super pumped regardless of anything!  :coolio
We move in circles - Balanced all the while - On a gleaming razor's edge
A perfect sphere - Colliding with our fate - This story ends where it began

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1179 on: November 19, 2015, 06:07:17 AM »
I PREDICT THAT I WILL PURCHASE THIS ALBUM

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1180 on: November 19, 2015, 06:23:30 AM »

Rather irritatingly, though, people have been speculating on concept album, double album and Metropolis 3. The first is confirmed and the second is pretty much confirmed. Odds on the third?

I be am boner inducing.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1181 on: November 19, 2015, 06:28:02 AM »

Rather irritatingly, though, people have been speculating on concept album, double album and Metropolis 3. The first is confirmed and the second is pretty much confirmed. Odds on the third?

Yeah, I know what you mean. The thing is I don't/didn't want any of those three options, and as you said, the first two are basically confirmed at this point, and some of the evidence for the third isn't as far-fetched as I would like.
I worry that some of the secrecy may be for a reason, with still no officially confirmed album cover that I'm aware of despite the artwork all floating around. Hiding the full title perhaps? :P

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1182 on: November 19, 2015, 06:51:25 AM »
Calling it Metropolis Part 3 would be for nostalgia reasons only.

And for the hope of some bonus sales.

The same way Mike Oldfield releases a "Tubular Bells" once in a while.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1183 on: November 19, 2015, 06:59:50 AM »
Yeah, I know what you mean. The thing is I don't/didn't want any of those three options, and as you said, the first two are basically confirmed at this point, and some of the evidence for the third isn't as far-fetched as I would like.
I worry that some of the secrecy may be for a reason, with still no officially confirmed album cover that I'm aware of despite the artwork all floating around. Hiding the full title perhaps? :P
It would be kinda hilarious. Thousands of fanboys across the world would explode with excitement.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1184 on: November 19, 2015, 07:01:23 AM »
It would be kinda hilarious. Thousands of fanboys across the world would explode with excitement.

It's concerning that there could be thousands of people wanting that.

Offline erciccio

« Reply #1185 on: November 19, 2015, 07:04:20 AM »
The Astonishing Victoria Page, Daughter of Marhys, heiress to the forbidden Legion Of Sorrowful Song.
 :facepalm:
Ora che ho perso la vista,ci vedo di più

Offline WinterN

« Reply #1186 on: November 19, 2015, 07:07:06 AM »
So on the topic of The Astonishing being Metropolis Part 3,
What if...
Lord Nafaryus = The Miracle/Edward/Hypnotherapist
Arhys = The Sleeper/Julian/The Old Man (who I speculate was Julian's reincarnation)
The Melody = Metropolis/Victoria/Nicholas (Coz she was a city first so why not a melody)
That sounds like Cloud Atlas film... interesting.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1187 on: November 19, 2015, 07:09:18 AM »
Look, NOMACS is not an acronym, it's an abbreviation
We don't know that.

Or, you know, it's just what the rebels call them since it fits...
This exactly. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Pax

• an operator acting over a Hilbert space
  • pianist and music theorist
« Reply #1188 on: November 19, 2015, 07:17:12 AM »
I guess NOMAC doesn't have to stand for Noise Machines, that's maybe how the rebels call them.

And yeah, now I'm more certain in my theory that I have mentioned like three times already: NOMAC symbol next to the song means the song symbolises the noise NOMACS make.
!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇F.F.Chopin!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #1189 on: November 19, 2015, 07:41:50 AM »
We're supposed to have news today, right?