Author Topic: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with moment of betrayal!)  (Read 1197972 times)

Offline Moor

• The more the merrier
Re: Dream Theater: The Astonishing
« Reply #455 on: November 11, 2015, 03:49:01 AM »
Do you think they're going to go so far as to wear costumes on stage?

I mean....

Yes, JLB would be disguised as Lord Nafaryus and Mangini would act as a disabled Nomac.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #456 on: November 11, 2015, 06:09:58 AM »
So 11 tracks in the first Act? Anyone else think a couple of those might be short transitional songs (like Through My Words) or speaking tracks (like Regression)...? Even so, I feel like there's going to be a lot to digest when this album drops  :tup

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #457 on: November 11, 2015, 06:43:18 AM »
I'll take 22 tracks over 6.

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #458 on: November 11, 2015, 08:41:48 AM »
So 11 tracks in the first Act? Anyone else think a couple of those might be short transitional songs (like Through My Words) or speaking tracks (like Regression)...? Even so, I feel like there's going to be a lot to digest when this album drops  :tup

That made think of this: is confirmed that it will be a double album? Or there's the probability of two albums as some has speculated?..

I'll take quality over quantity..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #459 on: November 11, 2015, 08:43:58 AM »

That made think of this: is confirmed that it will be a double album? Or there's the probability of two albums as some has speculated?..

I'm not sure if it's technically confirmed by the band yet, but it's all but confirmed from other sources.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #460 on: November 11, 2015, 08:55:47 AM »

And Black Clouds was 6 tracks of absolute A-grade quality :tup

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #461 on: November 11, 2015, 09:07:14 AM »

I'm not sure if it's technically confirmed by the band yet, but it's all but confirmed from other sources.

It certainly seems to be heading that way, but I won't be fully satisfied until DT or RR confirm it through their official channels. I suppose the fact they haven't rushed to deny it is a pretty good sign.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #462 on: November 11, 2015, 09:10:20 AM »
Plus there are 11 titles on Act 1. Some of them may be short atmospheric transitions, but that's still a lot get on one CD.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #463 on: November 11, 2015, 09:29:21 AM »

:-X

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #464 on: November 11, 2015, 09:44:32 AM »
At this point, I would be very surprised for this to turn out to not be a double album. 11 tracks in Act I alone? I just don't see 11+ tracks on one disc.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline 425

« Reply #465 on: November 11, 2015, 09:52:54 AM »

I know that you aren't being serious, but yes, yes it is. Their best six-song album.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #466 on: November 11, 2015, 10:05:05 AM »

I know that you aren't being serious, but yes, yes it is. Their best six-song album.

It wasn't an A-grade quality material, but yeah, I would say it's probably better than SDOIT by a slim margin. I know I'm in the minority with this opinion though.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #467 on: November 11, 2015, 10:05:20 AM »

:rollin

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #468 on: November 11, 2015, 10:06:13 AM »
" by the grace of god above - every1 survive - RUOORORORORORORORORORORORORORORORHUH !!! " < - - - this alone makes it at least worse than Six Degrees.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #469 on: November 11, 2015, 10:08:46 AM »
" by the grace of god above - every1 survive - RUOORORORORORORORORORORORORORORORHUH !!! " < - - - this alone makes it at least worse than Six Degrees.

The ending of The Count of Tuscany is alone better than anything written on Six Degrees.

And in my opinion, this ANTR section isn't as cringeworthy as everyone paints it. Lyrics on TBOT, now, that's another story.

Anyway, I'm out of this thread before we can derail it comparing these two albums. :biggrin:

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #470 on: November 11, 2015, 10:12:11 AM »
Lets not compare one Top tier album with *another* lower tier album  :biggrin:

I'm all for The Astonishing having 22 "tracks". How many songs that is I don't care. If i've got more choice - it means the album won't get boring so quickly.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #471 on: November 11, 2015, 10:16:20 AM »

The ending of The Count of Tuscany is alone better than anything written on Six Degrees.

And in my opinion, this ANTR section isn't as cringeworthy as everyone paints it. Lyrics on TBOT, now, that's another story.

Anyway, I'm out of this thread before we can derail it comparing these two albums. :biggrin:

Sorry, had to chime in.

The Glass Prison - Amazing
Blind Faith - Amazing
Misunderstood - Pretty good
The Great Debate - Amazing
Disappear - One of their best ballads
Six Degrees - Majestic

A Nightmare to Remember - Would be amazing if it were 4 minutes shorter.
A Rite of Passage - Meh
Wither - Nice/Meh
The Shattered Fortress - Nice
The Best of Times - Mixed feelings on this one
The Count of Tuscany - Amazing

I don't think Black Clouds is that bad of an album as most folks in here put it, but it can't hold a candle against Six Degrees. Six Degrees is amazingly consistent, wheras Black Clouds isn't.

I'm throwing something in so this post doesn't derail too much from the new album.

Lord Nafaryus.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #472 on: November 11, 2015, 10:31:11 AM »

It's not really cringeworthy, it's just laughably bad. That section is the best and worst joke of their entire discography. It's to DT's music what Batman & Robin or The Room is to movies.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #473 on: November 11, 2015, 10:55:20 AM »
LETS HOPE THE NEW ALBUM IS A NAFARYUS TO REMEMBER

Offline The Presence of Frenemies

« Reply #474 on: November 11, 2015, 11:06:19 AM »

It's not really cringeworthy, it's just laughably bad. That section is the best and worst joke of their entire discography. It's to DT's music what Batman & Robin or The Room is to movies.

See, as averse as I am to harsh vocals, I actually enjoy the section musically. But it's the single section of the DT discography where I just can't get past the lyrics. Like, those words? That delivery? Why? Neither is problematic on its own, but they make no sense together.
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

• Hoard a cake just to stare blankly into its doughy edifice.
  • Make futile chewing motions with your mouth while starving to death.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #475 on: November 11, 2015, 11:07:14 AM »

Sorry, had to chime in.

Blind Faith - Amazing
Six Degrees - Majestic

A Rite of Passage - Meh
Wither - Nice/Meh

I don't think Black Clouds is that bad of an album as most folks in here put it, but it can't hold a candle against Six Degrees. Six Degrees is amazingly consistent, wheras Black Clouds isn't.

I'm throwing something in so this post doesn't derail too much from the new album.

Lord Nafaryus.

Spot on

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #476 on: November 11, 2015, 11:08:12 AM »
I don't agree on 9/12 from these, but yeah, Lord Nafaryus.

« Reply #477 on: November 11, 2015, 11:10:18 AM »
DT should use this thread as a barometer for when to release the next segment of info. When the last page of the thread has nothing to do with the album, time to drop the next bit!
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

Offline The Paddies

« Reply #478 on: November 11, 2015, 11:25:30 AM »
I like BC&SL. But that aside: Roger Waters The Wall 2015 edition has 16 songs/tracks on disc 1 alone. Just to point out that quality versus quantity discussion is rather pointless until we've heard the music and know the context of the whole product. I'm excited about the whole approach. Never expected something like this to happen at this point. I just hope the music is good.

« Reply #479 on: November 11, 2015, 11:51:13 AM »
I will say I like the high-quantity aspect here. To me, DT is a band that will have more misses (to my very subjective taste) than, say, a really good power metal band, because they jump around so much. But when they hit, nobody can top them. To me, the great DT albums are where they hit that mark for more than, say, 30 minutes. The more music there is, the better chance they have of clearing that threshold. It would be one thing in the pre-digital era when listening to the album meant hauling the actual physical product around and having to skip through disliked tracks, but in the modern age, you take what you like and assemble things yourself, so the idea of the "bloated" double album isn't as much of a worry anymore.

That said, because it's a concept album, it's an open question as to how easy it will be to enjoy isolated tracks. Perhaps, as some have suggested, the whole thing will be one continuous piece of music. It could certainly be a gapless album even if it isn't fully continuous. Or maybe the lyrics will be odd out of the concept context. So as nice as the increased quantity might be, this album could potentially prove to be an exception--listening to the few "standout tracks" may not be feasible. But time will tell.

Calvin6s

« Reply #480 on: November 11, 2015, 11:54:19 AM »
DT should use this thread as a barometer for when to release the next segment of info. When the last page of the thread has nothing to do with the album, time to drop the next bit!

So how's the weather?

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #481 on: November 11, 2015, 11:59:55 AM »

So how's the weather?

Cloudy with a chance of goofballs.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #482 on: November 11, 2015, 12:05:33 PM »

Considering this, what was the waiting time between the first bit of info on the Act I tracks and the reveal of the complete Act I list?

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #483 on: November 11, 2015, 12:06:31 PM »

Sorry, had to chime in.

Blind Faith - Amazing
Six Degrees - Majestic

A Rite of Passage - Meh
Wither - Nice/Meh

Lord Nafaryus.
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #484 on: November 11, 2015, 12:18:17 PM »

Considering this, what was the waiting time between the first bit of info on the Act I tracks and the reveal of the complete Act I list?

Four days (from Nov 5th to 9th). We should get something on Friday if they carry on with that pattern, followed by a complete tracklist (with artwork maybe) on next Tuesday.

I wonder how many songs DT will release pre-stream and release for this album. We could get about three or four given the increased runtime of the album but then again, this is a concept album so they may want to keep the amount of plot revealed to a minimum.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #485 on: November 11, 2015, 12:27:14 PM »
I think it's only logical by now that if they decide to release audio they will do it in some kind of clever way, avoiding the obvious "single release", not exactly sure how but I bet it has something to do with the video placeholders, and maybe with the NOMAC clickable red dots.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #486 on: November 11, 2015, 12:37:37 PM »
a really good power metal band
I am not sure that I have encountered this phrase before.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #487 on: November 11, 2015, 12:40:01 PM »

The more variety, the better! as said earlier I'm all for songs with weirdass structures where the music has to adapt itself to the story, rather than the usual Write a song / sneak in a jam as solo section / write lyrics 'cause James is in the band as well and he must have something to do approach they have for most of their songs. I long for an album where after 10 days I don't even remember half of the things going on  :coolio
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline hadi-persian

« Reply #488 on: November 11, 2015, 12:59:06 PM »
the background of char8 can help us to some secret about the album. the act ll:1.The Astonishing with 11 or 12 part. have u any idea?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #489 on: November 11, 2015, 01:00:25 PM »
ITS A FUCKING CLOCK