Author Topic: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with moment of betrayal!)  (Read 1199804 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with trailer!)
« Reply #5985 on: January 13, 2016, 01:37:02 PM »
Those were the days.  Don't forget the tinny 80's days as well.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Bertie_Wooster

« Reply #5986 on: January 13, 2016, 01:39:12 PM »
I love the Drum sound on St Anger AND DT12

Offline Bertie_Wooster

« Reply #5987 on: January 13, 2016, 01:41:31 PM »
Those of you fixated with the production of a record and details like the drum snare or the guitar tone clearly never lived in the cassette tapes era, where all you had to get by was a cassette taped from a friend taped from a friend taped from a friend that copied it from a lucky rich friend that had the newest wonder of technology, a CD player.

Try to survive on third hand tapes all your formative years, even St. Anger will sound wonderful then  :biggrin:

I still remember how good the Journey concert at the philadelphia spectrum I recorded off the radio sounded.   Nothing could have been done to improve it.
My tape of Journey "escape"  sounded perfect as well.

Offline zmazar

• "Ride the wings of dreams."
« Reply #5988 on: January 13, 2016, 01:44:05 PM »
Also I just thank God that evidently my ears aren't as tuned in as a lot of the guys on here. Honestly, I just listen to it and love it. Didnt have a problem with ADTOE or DT, I thought they both sounded great!  :hat

It's not really a matter of being able to hear it, it's more that what people hear is quite divisive. I thought that both albums sound really good as well even if I can hear a lot of what many dislike about them sound-wise.

And you get this from a Youtube clip?  Maybe you should wait until you have a better quality of album in your hands.  Or am I wrong and you have one in your hands right now?

Anyone who preordered has a very nice quality (presumably the final mastered) TGoM track.
Wow, I literally did not know that I got a high quality TGOM file along with my pre-order confirmation  :facepalm: personally I'm not a huge audio critic, I'm not noticing too much difference between this and the Spotify one.

And I didn't notice it until I read your post.....  :facepalm: :facepalm:

If there was a villain who could only be defeated through the sheer awesomeness of music, then rest assured that LTL would be on batman's MP3 utility belt player.

« Reply #5989 on: January 13, 2016, 02:09:12 PM »

Offline CoT67

« Reply #5990 on: January 13, 2016, 02:10:13 PM »
Those of you fixated with the production of a record and details like the drum snare or the guitar tone clearly never lived in the cassette tapes era, where all you had to get by was a cassette taped from a friend taped from a friend taped from a friend that copied it from a lucky rich friend that had the newest wonder of technology, a CD player.

Try to survive on third hand tapes all your formative years, even St. Anger will sound wonderful then  :biggrin:
While I didn't survive on third hand tapes I do have memories of their sound :lol It's just that being a sort of obsessed audiophile I tend to notice many small details... sometimes it's great, sometimes it's annoying, but it rarely gets in the way of the actual music. It is something that can bother me after repeated listens, when I consciously search for smaller details.

...by the way, I don't mind St Anger nor St Anger's snare. While ridiculously frying-pan-beaten-with-a-ladle sounding, it has its character.
People in Tuscany are never going to lure you into their wine cellars and drown you in wine barrels, you know.
Or that’s what they’ll make you think.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5991 on: January 13, 2016, 02:49:14 PM »
I'm curious as to what the new forum themes will look like!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5992 on: January 13, 2016, 02:51:56 PM »
I'm curious as to what the new forum themes will look like!

Did not even think about this, I wonder if Bosk has something worked up for this.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5993 on: January 13, 2016, 03:10:56 PM »
You may be astonished to know that I am not planning on new themes.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5994 on: January 13, 2016, 03:29:46 PM »
I'd keep it dark blue even if you did.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #5995 on: January 13, 2016, 03:41:11 PM »
The Trailer It made me laugh. Is it cheesy, bombastic, slightly ridiculous and totally preposterous? Hell yes! Am I stoked for the new album? Hell yes! Did it therefore do its job? Hell yes!  :metal
Just quoting this because it's so spot on. The cheese factor is such a part of what makes DT endearing.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #5996 on: January 13, 2016, 03:48:15 PM »
Also, why are people insisting that "taking it seriously" and "having fun with it" are mutually exclusive. Like many bands (and indeed artists of any kind) DT do both.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5997 on: January 13, 2016, 03:53:59 PM »
Also, why are people insisting that "taking it seriously" and "having fun with it" are mutually exclusive. 

Great point!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #5998 on: January 13, 2016, 04:26:46 PM »
Also, why are people insisting that "taking it seriously" and "having fun with it" are mutually exclusive. Like many bands (and indeed artists of any kind) DT do both.

Yup, if DT were 100% serious, I don't think we'd have stuff like the Zappa section in BtL, the Jingle Bells quote from Octavarium, the animation to Enigma Machine among many other things. DT love to have fun with their music alongside being very dedicated to it.

Offline Bertie_Wooster

« Reply #5999 on: January 13, 2016, 04:29:38 PM »
but at the same time they never recorded MP's most famous song EMAAB

Offline Pax

• an operator acting over a Hilbert space
  • pianist and music theorist
« Reply #6000 on: January 13, 2016, 05:25:20 PM »
I'm just thinking, I really don't understand those guys saying that trailer animation sucks. I mean, ffs, they're a fucking BAND, not Star Wars' producers. The trailer is there just to be something fun, to help us visualise the story, while we are waiting for the album. We should be grateful for having any trailer in the first place. I mean, chill, guys :D
!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇F.F.Chopin!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #6001 on: January 13, 2016, 05:34:07 PM »
You may be astonished to know that I am not planning on new themes.
Boooooooooo
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #6002 on: January 13, 2016, 05:35:53 PM »
I thought the forums wouldn't surprise me anymore, but I come here to more or less 3 pages talking about snares. Lol.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #6003 on: January 13, 2016, 05:41:48 PM »
I know this is said over and over, but it's true. This is DTF. If we don't have new band-related news to discuss, we speculate. When we have new band-related news to discuss, it devolves into a bunch of nit-picking and ridiculous arguments over the dumbest shit.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #6004 on: January 13, 2016, 05:43:00 PM »
I'm just thinking, I really don't understand those guys saying that trailer animation sucks. I mean, ffs, they're a fucking BAND, not Star Wars' producers. The trailer is there just to be something fun, to help us visualise the story, while we are waiting for the album. We should be grateful for having any trailer in the first place. I mean, chill, guys :D

The worst thing is, I see some comments (not here though, unless I missed something) that say that the trailer stopped them from buying it. That's a bit ridiculous.

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #6005 on: January 13, 2016, 05:56:34 PM »
Blowjob analogy.....

So to all those intent on making a point of their disappointment with the quality of the video.  This is the best analogy I can come up with as to why I think it is petty and unappreciative.

You are in a relationship for 10 years with a gf/wife.  She gives great blowjobs.  Some better than others, but all good.  Then after 10 years she wants to surprise you and mix things up and add some excitement so she tells you while blowing you she wants you to download in her mouth and she will swallow.  So your excitement builds then the boom....but as she is choking it down she makes a terrible face.  And rather than appreciate the fact that she took it to another level you focus on the bad expression rather than the act and the overall main event.  You lose some of your own enjoyment over something that is kinda irrelevant.  And in the process you bitch to her that she had diminished your pleasure by not fulfilling the "above and beyond" the way you would have liked.  Good luck getting that from her again you unappreciative SOB....

Fair analogy?
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #6006 on: January 13, 2016, 05:59:48 PM »

The worst thing is, I see some comments (not here though, unless I missed something) that say that the trailer stopped them from buying it. That's a bit ridiculous.
That's just people finding an excuse to bash the band publicly and/or to justify not buying the album. People like that are just looking for any tiny thing to declare to the public that they aren't planning on buying the album.

Offline Panar

• Caught In A Web
« Reply #6007 on: January 13, 2016, 06:37:21 PM »
It's just an animated artwork. Nothing else. I don't have a problem with that.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6008 on: January 13, 2016, 07:06:20 PM »
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #6009 on: January 13, 2016, 07:25:58 PM »

Yup, the comments have been ridiculous.

Offline Laughing_man923

« Reply #6010 on: January 13, 2016, 07:29:21 PM »
Blowjob analogy.....

So to all those intent on making a point of their disappointment with the quality of the video.  This is the best analogy I can come up with as to why I think it is petty and unappreciative.

You are in a relationship for 10 years with a gf/wife.  She gives great blowjobs.  Some better than others, but all good.  Then after 10 years she wants to surprise you and mix things up and add some excitement so she tells you while blowing you she wants you to download in her mouth and she will swallow.  So your excitement builds then the boom....but as she is choking it down she makes a terrible face.  And rather than appreciate the fact that she took it to another level you focus on the bad expression rather than the act and the overall main event.  You lose some of your own enjoyment over something that is kinda irrelevant.  And in the process you bitch to her that she had diminished your pleasure by not fulfilling the "above and beyond" the way you would have liked.  Good luck getting that from her again you unappreciative SOB....

Fair analogy?

And the award for best analogy goes to...

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #6011 on: January 13, 2016, 07:44:52 PM »
Wait... Isn't the norwegian listening party today? (Tomorrow for some people). Man, I wonder if we will get some fresh info.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #6012 on: January 13, 2016, 08:01:34 PM »
Blowjob analogy.....

Fair analogy?

And the award for best analogy goes to...

...this! :marriageanalogy:

Anyway, to address the actual point AngelBack is trying to make, I wouldn't say that's a fair analogy because:

1) Blowjobs generally aren't remembered months after they're given

2) Blowjobs don't affect anyone other than the person giving & the person receiving, so one person's opinion makes a lot more difference

3) The wife most likely didn't make that face intentionally, DT's promotional team knew what they were creating the whole time they were creating it

4) The above point also plays in because DT didn't have to do what they did. As others have pointed out in this thread, they could've gone with the simpler hand-drawn approach rather than making it all "realistic-looking" if they didn't have the budget to make the characters look like they were meant to. If you do anything, that thing is open to positive & negative opinions, & if the general consensus turns out to be negative, the ol' Never Enough argument of "Can't you see I'm trying? Stop pointing out flaws in my work." doesn't really work out too well.

5) Very few people are actually saying TA is 100% going to suck & giving up all positivity they have over it because they didn't like the trailer. It's like acusing of an ad hominem: if you acuse someone of an ad hominem, you're acusing them of dismissing your point via an insult, not just the insult itself. Same case here, saying the trailer is bad isn't synonymous with saying TA will suck because the trailer is bad. See the difference? (& yes I do know that a slight minority are saying the latter, but given the scarcity of these comments, & the fact that they haven't been on DTF, I doubt those are the people you were actually referring to).

6) The reason people aren't focusing on the "overall main event" is because TA isn't out yet, so people are just going with what they have so far & if what they have so far is bad in their eyes, small & irrelevant as it may be, it's still bad to those people

Personally, the trailer doesn't bother me too much, but if people have an issue with it, I'm not going to belittle their opinion just because it's their opinion of a small part of a bigger picture... especially when this counter-reaction wouldn't have occurred if the general consensus for the trailer was positivity.

Rant over.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #6013 on: January 13, 2016, 08:08:44 PM »
People still care about videos? Album trailer videos no less? Yeah, the "animation" is pretty bad, but who the fuck cares? The trailer was meant to give us a taste of the music. Should they hire someone else for animation duties next time? Most definitely, but the music is what matters. I can understand if it was an official music video that made it to MTV, then sure, I'd be embarrassed too, but it's what, a minute long teaser? Go outside.

Unless Lord Nafaryus is an alien and he was caught morphing back into his human disguise.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #6014 on: January 13, 2016, 08:12:30 PM »
Yeah, what is this? A thread where we discuss our opinions on updates for the new album? Yeah, that'd be dumb.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline jsbru

« Reply #6015 on: January 13, 2016, 08:17:24 PM »
My least favorite snare sound is MP's on A Change of Seasons.  I don't have any issue with the sound of MM's drums, other than some of the cool stuff that was lost in the mix (esp. cymbal parts).

I was just about to say that I think that was possibly the best snare sound ever.  It's a little bit echo-y, but it sounds like a real drum.

In other words, to each his own.

However, in terms of how much I like the album, the snare sound is about 0.043% of the total determination of whether I like it or not.  Songwriting and mood are usually 1 and 2.  Even for albums like St. Anger (in that case, the douchiness of what that band turned into overrode all other factors by a significant degree).
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #6016 on: January 13, 2016, 08:31:07 PM »
I'm glad the drums aren't over dominating. They compliment the other instruments so well you can barely tell at times. The drums carry the melodies, and the bass is finally nicely mixed again it carries the groove and rhythm.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Bertie_Wooster

« Reply #6017 on: January 13, 2016, 08:32:21 PM »
I'll take a cheesy video over a lewd analogy any day.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #6018 on: January 13, 2016, 09:30:23 PM »
I'm glad the drums aren't over dominating. They compliment the other instruments so well you can barely tell at times. The drums carry the melodies, and the bass is finally nicely mixed again it carries the groove and rhythm.

The drums going up and down during the unison section of TGOM is amazing. MM's unique setup allows him to hit one tom at a time during a run.

Offline Gpals71

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6019 on: January 13, 2016, 09:49:15 PM »
Wait... Isn't the norwegian listening party today? (Tomorrow for some people). Man, I wonder if we will get some fresh info.
Yes. The Norwegian listening party is today, Thursday at 1900 (7 PM) CET.
I am sure we'll get a review. Most likely several. Maybe some news too.