Author Topic: The Avenged Sevenfold Thread (merged)  (Read 165015 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Avenged Sevenfold Thread (merged)
« Reply #1260 on: June 23, 2023, 02:26:26 PM »
I'm sure many will be posting videos, including myself. On the train now

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1261 on: June 23, 2023, 02:30:02 PM »
I'm sure many will be posting videos, including myself. On the train now

Enjoy! I'll have the pleasure in August

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #1262 on: June 23, 2023, 04:17:56 PM »
Tonight! I'm very excited for this one, a solid couple opening acts too  :metal

I'll be on that street corner at 5:30  :hat before the show

Damn dude, looks good. I’m pretty jealous (and even more so if they play Cosmic). Looking forward to your review  :tup

Offline coz

« Reply #1263 on: June 26, 2023, 01:15:20 PM »
Watched some of your vids, cram.  Thanks for uploading.  That is one crazy zoom you have there!
~Carlos
We made a land where crap is king and the good don't last too long.
https://www.last.fm/user/coz2112

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1264 on: June 26, 2023, 01:38:48 PM »
Watched some of your vids, cram.  Thanks for uploading.  That is one crazy zoom you have there!

Thanks, my full video is kind of stupid and its hard to watch as it goes on as I had a bit too much to drink that night with my buddy  :lol but it was an incredibly fun night!

Been busy since then so haven't had a moment to write something up, but I'll leave this here:

Offline Awaken

« Reply #1265 on: June 27, 2023, 05:56:30 AM »

Thanks, my full video is kind of stupid and its hard to watch as it goes on as I had a bit too much to drink that night with my buddy  :lol but it was an incredibly fun night!

Been busy since then so haven't had a moment to write something up, but I'll leave this here:

Looked like a great set from what I saw on youtube, did you notice any of the audio issues they were referencing?  I think I heard the band openly addressed them between songs too. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1266 on: June 27, 2023, 12:53:36 PM »
Yeah so I'll write more about the show overall in the concerts thread and just put my thoughts on Avenged here....

Looked like a great set from what I saw on youtube, did you notice any of the audio issues they were referencing?  I think I heard the band openly addressed them between songs too. 

so let's just get the bad news out of the way first.  The sounded absolutely terrible.  I'm not entirely sure they addressed it to the crowd.  I know I captured some of M shadows talks, but he was just so difficult to hear the entire night even when just talking between songs.  My understanding was they got to the venue super late because of delayed flights and didn't get to do a sound check.  And I can attest tot he fact that the show was very much delayed.  Doors opened about 30 minutes after stated and Living Colour came on 45 minutes after advertised (and hardly played a set at all, 5 songs).  When I got to my seats they were still setting up all the drums for the bands.  It was quite clear there was something wrong.

So the band sounded VERY low volume wise and what you could hear was very poorly mixed making it almost impossible to hear the individual players as the backing tracks were quite loud and the vocals way too low.  It just sounded like shit.  Everyone in my section was talking about it (and in my video you can hear my friend constantly talk about it if you listen closely).

Now that that's out of the way... the show was a lot of fun.  Openers were great and the venue was sold out and very loud.  I guess that's the benefit of the low sound was the crowd just sounded epic at times.  The reactions to all the new songs except GOD seemed really good.  People were definitely singing along to the singles and Mattel.  The older stuff got huge crowd responses though.  The set list was pretty good for my tastes.  Of course I wish they'd played Cosmic and maybe more stuff from City of Evil, but I can't really complain.  A Little Piece of Heaven was absolutely epic live.  While tough to hear, I thought M Shadows was overall sounding solid, voice wise. 

Their stage was really large.  It went quite a bit into the GA crowd and the length was almost the entire stage so it kind of was one of the biggest flat spaces of stage for band that I can recall giving them so much room to move around, which they did.  However, my side view didn't really lead to seeing the backing video screen well so I can't comment too much if they had good videos.  But the lighting was hit/miss.  At times it looked great on the stage but most of the night I was wishing they'd do a bit more to make it easier to see them and there was no pyro or anything really special about their stage show other than the stage itself being huge.

Good show overall for sure and I had a lot of fun.  Could have been better though, but the crowd singing along loudly kind of made up for it.

Avenged Sevenfold, Falling in Reverse, Living Colour LIVE @ Madison Square Garden New York City 2023

Offline red barchetta

• don't worry, I'm being watched lol
« Reply #1267 on: June 28, 2023, 06:28:17 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdUFIry9Gt4

This is a cover I did of Gunslinger which I got a lot of views and fantastic comments.  I love their new album and will see them for the first time in July.
With all respect, sincerely yours

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #1268 on: June 28, 2023, 06:36:14 AM »

This is a cover I did of Gunslinger which I got a lot of views and fantastic comments.  I love their new album and will see them for the first time in July.

Nice dude, a great take on the song.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1269 on: June 28, 2023, 08:46:32 AM »

Oh wow, that's you? Awesome dude  :metal really cool version and sounds great

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #1270 on: June 30, 2023, 08:24:57 AM »
I still can’t get over how good Cosmic is. That’s it, that’s the post.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1271 on: June 30, 2023, 10:37:59 AM »
Same, just in love with it.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1272 on: June 30, 2023, 10:43:54 AM »
yup, incredible song

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #1273 on: July 06, 2023, 10:39:25 AM »
I'm not a huge A7X fan. I first listened to them when MP drummed for Nightmare. Saw the tour. They sort of fell off my radar after whatever that whole thing was with them ripping off Metallica licks. Then a couple weeks ago, a good friend of mine from back on Long island (who went to a lot of gigs with me back in the day), mentioned The Stage to me, and how I needed to hear it. Long story long, we drop messages once or twice a year to each other, and it's usually "go check this out," and we both end up liking something and turning the other one on to new music. Anyway, he is a big A7X fan and recommended The Stage.

Wow, blown away. So grandiose. So much prog. From my first couple listens, it sounds like they just decided to put their sound through the lens of Queen to a degree. And I dig it.  I haven't read back through the thread, but where does The Stage generally rank among the fan base?
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #1274 on: July 06, 2023, 11:44:03 AM »
The Stage is generally well regarded. But whats more important, is that the album that you disliked (Hail to the King) is not representative of the band.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1275 on: July 06, 2023, 11:51:09 AM »
The Stage is generally well regarded. But whats more important, is that the album that you disliked (Hail to the King) is not representative of the band.

I'm not sure I speak for the fanbase, but it did feel to me that The Stage wasn't quite as loved as others, but also it was their worst selling album due to it being a surprise release.  I don't think it got a fair shake personally.  I enjoy it quite a bit, but it may end up being mid tier for me for A7X.

I also agree, HTTK is not representative of the band. 

I'd say go check out their newest Life is But a Dream if you liked The Stage.  It goes to the next level.  Might be my album of the year.

Offline NoFred

« Reply #1276 on: July 30, 2023, 01:40:33 AM »
Saw their show Friday night. Went in mostly cold - knew them as “a try hard metal band from the aughts” and checked out the setlist once.

Wow that was a ton of fun, outdoor show with a larger crowd. Some good solos (kept asking my friend “ok what song was that lol”) and good stage presence. Lead singer was in Megadeth shirt whole show, maybe biggest concert I’ve seen where band has another band’s shirt on, idk was cool. Lights and graphics were kind of weak but w/e.

Highlights live were buried alive, we love you, and the stage. I thought I’d like a little piece of heaven and G/O/D more, but those got drowned in the mix. Those have a ton of nuance that’s drowned out. Something they need to work on if they want to play both sides of the coin live. Also O is chill but probably too on the nose with Daft Punk. Like literally synthesized from 5-6 DP tracks.

For a band I’ve only cared about for 24+ hours was a great show. Brought lots of people in and made some new friends. For album exploring, I’m focusing on The Stage, seems best place to start.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1277 on: July 30, 2023, 05:48:34 AM »
I'd say go check out their newest Life is But a Dream if you liked The Stage.  It goes to the next level. 
Not necessarily. I think The Stage is probably their best while the new one is in the weaker half of their catalogue.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline me7

« Reply #1278 on: August 01, 2023, 07:48:42 AM »
...the new one is in the weaker half of their catalogue.

Heresy

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1279 on: August 01, 2023, 07:59:36 AM »
Yeah, I can't say I agree with that opinion, but if that's what he feels so be it. 

Highlights live were buried alive, we love you, and the stage. I thought I’d like a little piece of heaven and G/O/D more, but those got drowned in the mix. Those have a ton of nuance that’s drowned out. Something they need to work on if they want to play both sides of the coin live. Also O is chill but probably too on the nose with Daft Punk. Like literally synthesized from 5-6 DP tracks.

I know the MSG show I attended had sound issues due to them not doing a soundcheck, but I've read that GOD has sounded like shit at other shows.  It certainly did at the MSG show, but maybe the issue is a lot bigger than not doing a soundcheck and the reliance on too many backing tracks?  I don't really know, but for as much as I enjoy that trilogy, it sucks that the presentation of it has been poor.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1280 on: August 01, 2023, 11:37:23 AM »
Yeah, I can't say I agree with that opinion, but if that's what he feels so be it. 

I know the MSG show I attended had sound issues due to them not doing a soundcheck, but I've read that GOD has sounded like shit at other shows.  It certainly did at the MSG show, but maybe the issue is a lot bigger than not doing a soundcheck and the reliance on too many backing tracks?  I don't really know, but for as much as I enjoy that trilogy, it sucks that the presentation of it has been poor.

I'll be seeing them on Friday night, and looking at the setlist....I'll likely leave after Ordinary so I can beat the traffic. Death is a weaker song, IMO, and I have zero interest in a backing track version of Life is but a Dream. I was hoping they would roll out a grand piano so Shadows could play the actual song. Slightly disappointed. Otherwise, the setlist looks pretty good for a current album tour cycle

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1281 on: August 01, 2023, 11:38:20 AM »
I'd say go check out their newest Life is But a Dream if you liked The Stage.  It goes to the next level. 
Not necessarily. I think The Stage is probably their best while the new one is in the weaker half of their catalogue.

Nonsense wrapped in silliness

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1282 on: August 01, 2023, 01:43:45 PM »
Hey I'm just as disappointed as you guys.

As I've said before, I love variety and genre shifting and like that aspect of the album. Just "SO GENRE, MUCH STYLES" alone isn't enough (for most of us I imagine) and I simply don't think most of the songs are particularly good examples of the genres they cover.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1283 on: August 01, 2023, 02:26:33 PM »
Who is disappointed?  I love Life is But A Dream.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1284 on: August 01, 2023, 02:44:10 PM »
Disappointed that I don't like the album more.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #1285 on: August 01, 2023, 02:46:24 PM »

100%

I really do love this album as an experience. The only song I’d listen to, outside of the album, is Cosmic. I’ve just actually finished listening to it again, and it’s one of those albums that flows so nicely that it feels shorter than it is (even though it’s not actually long at all). Most times I listen I feel I could just go right ahead and spin it again. Easily album of the year so far.

I also love it because it’s invigorated my love for the band once more.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1286 on: August 01, 2023, 03:30:54 PM »

When you consider the meaning of the Trilogy, and how (G) ends, the backing tracks completely make sense to me. Especially in (O)rdinary, as that song is from the perspective of a Robot wanting the same as a Human, the emotions, the dreams, the desires. Music is one of these desires, so you have the band really presenting the Robot in the live shows. How the Robots in music are considered the backing tracks, and how humans would rather enjoy Live Shows being done by humans, more so than machines such as Backing Tracks. This get's into how Music is now being done by AI, and think of how the future of music will be if the AI music will be presented in a live setting.

I won't be able to see them until October, so I wouldn't know how it'd sound live, but from other bands that do have backing tracks I've seen, those backing tracks need to be mixed in a balanced way with the Live Band sound to come across within the Live Setting.

the GOD trilogy is one of the best trilogies I have heard and it's one that really hit me in my current time of need. Because, I have been recently feeling as if Life is But a Dream.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1287 on: August 04, 2023, 11:35:46 PM »
Just got back from the show.  The mix on the instruments were a little off through the opening two tracks (Game Over and Mattel). By the time Hail to the King came around at song #4, everything was spot on. The stage production was pretty good,  but no pyro, unfortunately.

Shadows was very good tonight.  He faded a little by the encore, but his voice was wicked good.  His range is better than its been in years and years. Only down part was the use of a megaphone-like effect for the opening tracks.  I get that it sounds like that a little on the album,  but it sounded off in a live setting.

Gates was Gates (i.e god-tier playing).

Overall,  very good show and well worth my $120 CDN.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1288 on: August 05, 2023, 02:42:00 PM »
ok, I'm starting to follow the hype about "Life is but a Dream"
"(O)rdinary" could be a song from Daft Punk or Eldren.

Offline me7

« Reply #1289 on: August 05, 2023, 03:09:51 PM »
I only listened to Daft Punk's Discovery album. Do they really write jazzy stuff like the finale to Ordinary?

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1290 on: August 05, 2023, 03:11:24 PM »
Disappointed that I don't like the album more.

It is one of their weakest ones in my opinion. But for this band that still means I really like it.

I only listened to Daft Punk's Discovery album. Do they really write jazzy stuff like the finale to Ordinary?

Not sure, they are not a metal/prog/rock artists offcourse, but the track really does remind me of Daft Punk. Random Access Memory is one hell of an album and has some cool/quirky moments for sure.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2023, 03:17:40 PM by ErHaO »

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #1291 on: August 05, 2023, 05:14:18 PM »

(O)rdinary could be on Daft Punk’s Random Access Memories and it wouldn’t sound out of place at all.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1292 on: August 05, 2023, 06:39:27 PM »
I really do love this album as an experience. The only song I’d listen to, outside of the album, is Cosmic. I’ve just actually finished listening to it again, and it’s one of those albums that flows so nicely that it feels shorter than it is (even though it’s not actually long at all). Most times I listen I feel I could just go right ahead and spin it again. Easily album of the year so far.

For sure, I could have written this myself, and though I have only heard maybe 4 albums for 2023, this album is top for now.

Offline me7

« Reply #1293 on: August 06, 2023, 02:45:31 AM »
(O)rdinary could be on Daft Punk’s Random Access Memories and it wouldn’t sound out of place at all.

Interesting, I should give that album a spin soon.

Offline red barchetta

• don't worry, I'm being watched lol
« Reply #1294 on: October 26, 2023, 08:17:02 AM »

Nice dude, a great take on the song.

Thank you sir!
With all respect, sincerely yours