Author Topic: MTV in the 80s Song of the Day  (Read 306575 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: MTV in the 80s Song of the Day
« Reply #2135 on: January 02, 2013, 02:39:20 PM »
Europe gets a bad rap, but they're a very solid band.

Word
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #2136 on: January 03, 2013, 08:27:56 PM »
Belinda Carlisle - Heaven Is a Place on Earth

No.  Just... HELL no.  I'd rather listen to The Go-Go's than Belinda's solo stuff ANY day of the week.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2137 on: January 04, 2013, 10:20:37 AM »
Also, it still bugs me that The Go-Go's have that apostrophe in their band name.  It makes no sense.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2138 on: January 04, 2013, 10:59:09 AM »
Me too.  All I can think of is that they thought "Go-Gos" looked weird, which it does.  "Go-Goes"?  Even worse.

(They should've just picked a different name)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2139 on: January 04, 2013, 01:01:09 PM »
Haha, probably.  On that note...

The Go-Go's - Head Over Heels

I believe this was their last big hit in the 80s before splitting and going their separate ways.  A catchy enough song at the time, but sounds pretty vanilla nowadays, even by 80s pop standards.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #2140 on: January 04, 2013, 02:25:53 PM »
Earworm worthy chorus...well, okay, maybe not, but I hear the title followed by a handclapping sound whenever I think of this song, so close enough...but it is kind of generic. Am I wrong in remembering they only did two albums together?
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #2141 on: January 04, 2013, 03:27:35 PM »
Yeah, a bit forgettable - their earlier hits packed more of a punch.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2142 on: January 05, 2013, 08:16:53 AM »
Mr. Mister - Kyrie

Hands down, one of the best pop rock songs of the mid 80s.  This is still one of those songs that if I hear it, its chorus is likely to be stuck in my head for hours.  And since I just listened to it, as I always do with the song I am about to feature, it will now be stuck in my head till at least early afternoon. :lol

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2143 on: January 05, 2013, 09:19:02 AM »
I agree, such a good song. I like this a bit better than "Broken Wings"

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #2144 on: January 05, 2013, 11:30:41 PM »
Mr. Mister is one of the bands I've always regretted not delving into past their radio hits.  Although, I always preferred Broken Wings to Kyrie.  Not that it's a bad song, though - just a personal preference.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2145 on: January 06, 2013, 12:09:43 AM »
I remember when Pat Mastellotto joined King Crimson, and my friend mentioned that he was the drummer for Mr. Mister.  I was surprised.  Mr. Mister had never seemed more than a generic 80's pop band to me.  A good one, I guess, but nothing special.  But let's face it, if you're good enough to play with Fripp in King Crimson, you've got it going on.  Suddenly I felt the need to check out more from Mr. Mister.

I never did, though.  Got lazy or something.  But they had some good songs.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2146 on: January 06, 2013, 04:59:16 AM »
Great song, and Richard Page is one hell of a song writer.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2147 on: January 06, 2013, 08:48:12 AM »
Billy Idol - Eyes Without a Face

A very cool laid back song, featuring a killer bridge that takes the song from being pretty good to really good.  I wasn't big on a lot of Idol's hits in the 80s, but this one was really nice. 

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2148 on: January 06, 2013, 08:52:37 AM »
Not really a fan of his besides a handful of songs. This is a cool song though.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #2149 on: January 06, 2013, 08:53:12 AM »
Somewhere on these forums, there is a post I made saying that I had no problem with someone saying Welcome to the Real World was the definitive 80s pop-rock album. I still believe that. The thing people forget about Mr. Mister, or may not even know, is that much like Toto, they were a band who had extensive careers as session musicians, which meant that they had a lot more talent than people gave them credit for, and they used that skill to craft some amazing pop-rock songs. I didn't realize it at the time, of course, since I was just wading out into the waters of prog and was largely a GRRR METAL RULES kind of guy, but Mr. Mister is a lot better than a lot of people gave them credit for, including me  :lol

As for Eyes Without A Face-THAT RIFF.  :metal

You go through most of the song thinking it's going to be an atmospheric, laid back song, and then suddenly BOOM, here comes a killer guitar riff and the song goes off in another direction that at the same time works perfectly with the rest of the song. One of the better "holy shit" moments of the 80s.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2150 on: January 06, 2013, 03:50:49 PM »
Billy Idol had some cool tunes, and this is definitely one of them.  I love how it goes from mellow to double-time for the break, while half of the rhythm section apparently doesn't change anything.  Steve Stevens is screaming on guitar, as usual.  The video had lots of nice little touches to it as well.  I like how it starts with "In the midnight hour..." which somehow has a different connotation with the mellow feel, but is a reference to one of his balls-out rockers.  I think this one had the ass-slapping girls, too, which is a reference to another video of his.  And then somehow it returns to mellow, again seemingly without much else changing musically.  Clever stuff, and the guy knew how to use video to good effect.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2151 on: January 06, 2013, 09:14:17 PM »
Mr. Mister - Kyrie

Hands down, one of the best pop rock songs of the mid 80s.  This is still one of those songs that if I hear it, its chorus is likely to be stuck in my head for hours.  And since I just listened to it, as I always do with the song I am about to feature, it will now be stuck in my head till at least early afternoon. :lol

Had the album on vinyl.  It was a beast.  Might have to try and dig up a digital copy to reminisce.  I only have Kyrie and Broken Wings in my library.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #2152 on: January 07, 2013, 12:58:56 AM »
Billy Idol - Eyes Without a Face

:heart :heart :heart
Thank you, that is all. :biggrin:

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2153 on: January 07, 2013, 04:28:55 AM »
Great song from Billy right there.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2154 on: January 08, 2013, 09:02:50 AM »
U2 - With or Without You

I wasn't overly crazy about this song when it first came out.  For one, it was played non-stop, so I kind of had that "It's an okay song, but not great enough to warrant this kind of non-stop play" reaction, and for two, having been a big fan of the rockers by them that MTV played in the mid 80s, it seemed too tame.  But over time, I grew to really love the song, especially once I got into the band in a big way.  Over 25 years later, this is still a song that is literally impossible not to know.  A younger friend at work a while back said she had no idea of the song when it somehow came up in a conversation, but when she heard it, she was like, "Oh yeah, I know that, but didn't know what it was called or who it was by."

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2155 on: January 08, 2013, 09:22:44 AM »
Over-rated.  Great album, but this is in the bottom tier of it.  It was't even a very good ballad for the era.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2156 on: January 08, 2013, 09:31:05 AM »
I think U2 is overrated, period.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2157 on: January 08, 2013, 01:39:18 PM »
   Great album, but this is in the bottom tier of it. 

Well, to me, The Joshua Tree is so strong from start to finish, that even the bottom tier tunes are pretty damn good, although my least favorite, Trip Through Your Wires, is one I am not wild about; probably because of that damn harmonica. :facepalm:

I think U2 is overrated, period.

Way to discuss the song.  :\ :tdwn :tdwn

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #2158 on: January 08, 2013, 07:07:53 PM »
I actually really like this song.
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #2159 on: January 08, 2013, 07:40:29 PM »
U2 - With or Without You

It's not one of my favorites from TJT, but it's better than a lot of the stuff they've released within the last few years IMO.

That said, I was never really a huge fan.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2160 on: January 09, 2013, 04:48:35 AM »
Can't stand U2 to be honest.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2161 on: January 09, 2013, 08:40:12 AM »
Very good song.  The problem with it, as you pointed out Kev, is that it was SO overplayed.  But I will freely admit that I overrate pretty much every song from that album.  Definitely a fan.  Joshua Tree just holds an almost mythical status for me.  Big, big fan.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2162 on: January 09, 2013, 08:58:12 AM »
Unless you were there when it happened, I don't think it's possible to realize the impact With or Without You had.  In a flash, U2 went from being a popular rock band to the biggest band on the planet, a title they held for a good 7 years (1987-1993).  During that timespan, no one was bigger than U2.  Not GNR.  Not Metallica.  Not Nirvana.  No one.  And With or Without You was the catalyst for that.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #2163 on: January 09, 2013, 10:29:15 AM »
Unless you were there when it happened, I don't think it's possible to realize the impact With or Without You had.  In a flash, U2 went from being a popular rock band to the biggest band on the planet, a title they held for a good 7 years (1987-1993).  During that timespan, no one was bigger than U2.  Not GNR.  Not Metallica.  Not Nirvana.  No one.  And With or Without You was the catalyst for that.

This right here. Up until With or Without You, U2 was a successful band, but not on the level of being a household name. After this song, and this album, U2 became the biggest band in the world, and one of the biggest in the history of rock and roll. You can't understate how important that song, and The Joshua Tree, was to music in the 80s.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2164 on: January 09, 2013, 10:33:50 AM »

They went from playing 3000 seat stadiums on the War tour to 12,000 seat arenas for The Unforgettable Fire to Football stadiums holding 60,000.  The Joshua Tree was beyond huge and With Or Without you started that.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2165 on: January 09, 2013, 11:07:18 AM »

This is true, and I was there.  What I've never understood is why.  It's an okay song, and they're a good band, but a lot of their stuff sounds the same, and I could never see what made them so much better than 1000 other bands.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2166 on: January 09, 2013, 11:39:25 AM »
This is true, and I was there.  What I've never understood is why.  It's an okay song, and they're a good band, but a lot of their stuff sounds the same, and I could never see what made them so much better than 1000 other bands.

MTV?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2167 on: January 09, 2013, 11:48:59 AM »
MTv didn't make anyone better, they just made some bands and artists insanely popular.

Also, I've noticed that a lot of people spell it "MTV".  I always thought the "v" was lower case.

I guess it's hard to tell.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2168 on: January 09, 2013, 01:48:26 PM »

A signature sound (Bono's voice and Edge's guitar playing are both very unique) + tons of good, catch songs + knowing how to appeal to the masses = U2's success.  I know a lot of people do not like them, but they had a very original sound, they've written countless good songs, and they (Bono, in particular) knew exactly how to market themselves and their music.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #2169 on: January 09, 2013, 04:00:12 PM »

This right here. Up until With or Without You, U2 was a successful band, but not on the level of being a household name. After this song, and this album, U2 became the biggest band in the world, and one of the biggest in the history of rock and roll. You can't understate how important that song, and The Joshua Tree, was to music in the 80s.

I'm not denying the impact With Or Without You made for U2 back then - it would be ridiculous to.  I just think that WOWY is one of the weaker tracks on an otherwise stellar album, and that I'd rather listen to WOWY than... say, Mysterious Ways, Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out Of, or Beautiful Day.  IMO, of their fairly recent singles (after The Joshua Tree) Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me is the best them.