Author Topic: The Cannabis Thread v. Let's behave  (Read 26635 times)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: The Cannabis Thread v. Let's behave
« Reply #455 on: August 25, 2023, 11:16:51 AM »
I brought some edibles with me to Germany, plan on having one tonight after work. 

There's a dispensary (I'm fairly sure it's not a legal operation) right near Penn Station in NYC that has great prices.  For $45 I got a pack of 1000MG (10x 100) gummies.  I bought it on my way to the Kamelot show last week and snuck it under my belt to bring in, had one at the show too.

I could really use a nice edible evening and sleep tonight.

I've been watching To Catch a Smuggler lately, and people get popped in customs with bringing weed in. They're all "it's legal in California" and the customs agents are all "yeah, you're on federal land here" and arrest them for narcotics trafficking.

I've flown into these airports before.  There's like no security going through customs.  Not a question asked entering the country and no dogs or searching or anything to be worried about really. It's also decriminalized here (not that it makes it OK, but less of a real issue). I'd be worried if I wanted to bring a lot because then you can get nabbed for distribution.  While I understand the risk, it's so minimal.  I brought 5 joints with me as well.  I also brought my vape pen but I somehow lost it (I believe it must be on the plane somewhere  :rollin) So mad about that. I've got 11 nights here so basically half a joint a night when I get back to the hotel.  It's been a godsend to have that because my stress levels were insane this week, my stomach was a wreck as usual for far travels, and my sleep schedule is destroyed.  Having that toke at night really helps immensely getting over all this. 

If I'm being honest.  I've travelled with weed for the last 8 years or so.  I'm not worred at all about it for personal use as long as I'm not going somewhere that's hardcore against it like Singapore earlier this year.  But I think I could totally do it in Singapore based on my experience.  No ones really looking for personal use marijuana. Just don't be stupid.Not sure I want to risk it if I go back to singapore though, the penalties are extreme.

I was getting paranoid cause I just sent a buddy in Finland a shirt and signed postcard from the last Band Maid show, and the day after I'm watching the guys in customs on this show tearing packages apart looking for contraband...and all I can think of is that precious postcard wedged between two pieces of cardboard to keep it safe,just getting shredded the fuck up cause it looked funny on the xray.

Tracking showed it's in Copenhagen today, so I'm a bit relieved now. :lol

For our sake, just don't go to Singapore with weed. Please.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #456 on: August 25, 2023, 11:20:19 AM »
Domestic isn't really a problem. TSA couldn't care less about drugs, and they might not even care enough to call the local cops, who probably won't care either. DFW Airport has its own police department, but I don't think they even care unless it's a felony bust. I still take precautions, though. I make sure it's damned hard to find, and just plan to buy papers and a lighter once I'm there. For my part I just don't want the hassle of dealing with it even if it's no big deal. I've usually got plans for the day of arrival and missing a flight can really screw them up.

I saw a dog alert on some girl at MEX a ways back. She had a banana in her pocket. They're far more concerned about fruit flies than drugs down there.

And yeah, fuck Singapore. Dubai, too. The UAE guys will nail you for a bit of residue stuck to the bottom of your shoe, and the next thing you know you're an indentured servant building skyscrapers for the next 10 years.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #457 on: August 25, 2023, 11:43:31 AM »
I still take precautions, though. I make sure it's damned hard to find

I put this down as common sense.  I have a system of where to hide my goods.  OF course it won't matter if there's a marijuana dog (those aren't common in airports though accoridng to my TSA friend, but who knows overseas).  One other thing, I make sure I don't look like a bum.  I'm sure it helps that I'm white (my latino gf constantly reminds me that I get away with all the things I do because I'm white) but I make sure I don't look like a mess and have a "normal" appearance.  I also almost always wear a company shirt.  Make it known I'm here for business basically.

I had one real scare though.  I bought like 50x 10mg gummies in Denver like 6 years ago to bring home.  I thought it was a good idea to also buy 5 punds of legit gummies (there was a candy shop near where I was that had amazing gummy bears so I was buying those regardless).  I put the weed gummies in the bag with the legit ones and put it on my carry on.  Of course that triggered an alarm because there were just SO many gummies in a bag.  Clearly I didn't think that through.  Security lady grabbed the bag and I told her to sniff it  :lol and she was like "wow these gummy bears look and smell so good!" and asked where I got them and let me through.  Never noticed the THC marked ones mixed in  :rollin

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #458 on: August 25, 2023, 12:44:50 PM »
Back in the 90's, I used to take some with me on flights to enjoy at our destination.  Strictly within the U.S., tucked into my sock.  Post-9/11, forget it.  I'm in the Chicago suburbs and O'Hare is one of the biggest airports in the country, so security everywhere, including dogs, and even if the odds are low, it's just not worth the hassle of getting caught.  I just don't.  We don't fly much anymore anyway, so not a huge deal.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #459 on: August 25, 2023, 01:07:41 PM »
As I understand it, you can only train a dog to alert on two, maybe three things. Most of the dogs are there to sniff out various explosives. The drug dogs that are there are probably trained to sniff out H, cola, and maybe crank. If you can only sniff for two or three things, making one of them marijuana would be silly.

Interestingly, the scanners in use at airports are entirely there to detect explosives. However, the explosives they're looking for are chock full of organic components, so a quarter bag actually looks the same as a small chunk of C4 to the scanner and the guy operating it. They both light up bright orange. And the more you try to hide it the more it sticks out like a sore thumb. You put your stash alongside your electronics and you're probably getting guns pointed at you.  :lol

Inside food is a safe bet. I mix mine with my meds. That's actually something that has surprised me. I routinely travel with a zip-lock full of 8-ball baggies full of pills and nobody ever bats an eye.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #460 on: August 25, 2023, 01:19:16 PM »
I have a friend who worked for TSA and now Homeland security.  He is a dog handler, for explosives and works the airports.  There aren't weed sniffing dogs at these, from his experience.  And you are right, the dogs can only be trained really for one thing. I would imagine the ones that sniff for drugs aren't the ones dealing with passengers but cargo. From his experience in TSA, they aren't trained to look for drugs, just firearms, explosives, harmful stuff... and water bottles. So for them to catch you with it, it's likely because of something else that triggered a search such as a water bottle in your bag.  Even then, the agent knows what and where to look so they don't go through your shit much at all.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #461 on: August 25, 2023, 01:50:07 PM »
Good to know, in case I ever need to fly somewhere and take something with me.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #462 on: August 25, 2023, 02:58:35 PM »
Yeah, the whole thing's based on finding things that seem out of place. Body scanners don''t really single out much of anything, but they highlight areas with things that don't belong on the average human. They won't know what it is, but they display will point out something hidden in your crotch, for example. The thing almost always shows a spot where my kidney is and I get wanded. Normal people don't have an organ there. The bag scanners actually show a fair amount of detail. I got flagged for a bottle opener last time I flew (and they only cared about that because of the small knife part for cutting seals). Corkscrews are instantly recognizable. Otherwise they are looking for weird combinations of stuff. Like organics packaged alongside batteries and circuit boards, or a 1lb block of Velveta. My large bag of trail mix never raises any eyebrows.

It's all pretty interesting. I did a fair amount of research on it because it seemed like everywhere I travel is never to the legal states.  :lol
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #463 on: August 28, 2023, 06:32:25 AM »
There's a dispensary (I'm fairly sure it's not a legal operation) right near Penn Station in NYC that has great prices.  For $45 I got a pack of 1000MG (10x 100) gummies.  I bought it on my way to the Kamelot show last week and snuck it under my belt to bring in, had one at the show too.

Holy shit!  I pay around $30 for 10 x 10.  Maybe $25 if there's a sale.  10 x 100 would last me for months.

Yeah, that place has some incredible edible prices.  Their flower is solid too.  I go there every time I go to a concert in NYC now.  Like I said though, pretty sure it's an illegal operation.  They don't have the seal of a NYC dispensary out front.  They also accept credit cards.

So I've been eating these gummies the last few nights out here.  The budtender who sold them to me said they were different type of edible, in that they have a quicker response time and when the effect is over, you won't feel tired.  I was a bit skeptical on that second part.  I must say, these are legit.  I still think it takes a solid 60-90 minutes for the full effect to happen, but after 30 minutes I do start to feel something that just slowly grows.  But also, after maybe 2 hours, the entire high is gone and I feel normal and not tired at all.  These may be the first edibles I could eat during the day since I never do that becuase I get so tired.  Pretty cool.  I'll be back in NYC in a few weeks, I may pick up some more.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #464 on: September 29, 2023, 07:49:55 AM »
For those that do tolerance breaks, how do you do yours?

Preferably, I would like to eat weed everyday as it really is magic with autism symptoms and challenges, but yeah tolerance. I'm thinking maybe one day on one day off, but was curious what you guys do.

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #465 on: September 29, 2023, 08:11:40 AM »
didn't know there was a weed thread here

howdy y'all :hat
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #466 on: September 29, 2023, 08:50:18 AM »
For those that do tolerance breaks, how do you do yours?

Preferably, I would like to eat weed everyday as it really is magic with autism symptoms and challenges, but yeah tolerance. I'm thinking maybe one day on one day off, but was curious what you guys do.
I only partake 2 or 3 days a week and I remain a total lightweight. That said, it's mostly the weekend when I do, so there's often 4 or 5 days off.

In my case, I'm not sure it's actually duration, but rather habit. If you're doing it at the same time on a schedule then you might not get the same reduction that you would if you were just doing it at random points. Just my hunch, though.
E.F. Benson

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #467 on: September 29, 2023, 09:21:47 AM »
Makes sense Barto. thanks

I also like the 2-3 times a week routine, since being a lightweight let's me get super high where I'm just about in psychedelic space and it is so profoundly helpful to me mentally. 

But I pulled a muscle or something and started using daily and all of a sudden, work no longer bothers me and people actually don't mind me being around. I feel "normal" for lack of a better word. This is a massive realization, so now its just a matter of finding the balance.   

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #468 on: September 29, 2023, 09:43:55 AM »
Everyday user.  I took about a 2 week break earlier this year when I went to Singapore.  I honestly thought that I'd get so high when I smoked, and I found my tolerance didn't go down one iota during that break.  But 2 weeks probably wasn't enough for someone like me to notice.

Also, I went back to my favorite dispensary in NYC last night.  They sold me a pack of 2400mg gummies for $60.  Place is amazing for the price per mg. 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #469 on: September 29, 2023, 09:46:32 AM »
Everyday user.  I took about a 2 week break earlier this year when I went to Singapore.  I honestly thought that I'd get so high when I smoked, and I found my tolerance didn't go down one iota during that break.  But 2 weeks probably wasn't enough for someone like me to notice.

Also, I went back to my favorite dispensary in NYC last night.  They sold me a pack of 2400mg gummies for $60.  Place is amazing for the price per mg.
By the Gods! You eat a whole one of those? No wonder your tolerance doesn't go down.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #470 on: September 29, 2023, 09:48:44 AM »

By the Gods! You eat a whole one of those? No wonder your tolerance doesn't go down.

hell no, it's 10x 240mg per gummy, but the gummys are slit so you can break it down to smaller equal amounts (Ive been told by the budtender, I havent opened the packaging yet).  100mg is my go to dosing, but yeah, I've eaten so many edibles the last year since it's become so much more affordable that the 100mg is starting to not have the same affect anymore. Tolerance definitely getting stronger.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #471 on: September 29, 2023, 10:03:38 AM »
I eat half a gummy after work pretty much every day, and on weekends it's a full gummy in the morning and another in the afternoon.  Each one lasts about six hours and I still get pretty baked on weekends.  Once cannabis became legal where I live and I figured I'd be doing it more often, I wondered if my tolerance would build and I'd have to take breaks, but I really don't think it has.  I don't get the "oh man, I'm so high!" teenage rush like in the old days, but that's more the fact that I'm old as fuck and the feeling itself is nothing new.  I know it's in me doing its magic because I'll listen to tunes or watch a concert on TV and still completely sink into it, like in the old days.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #472 on: September 29, 2023, 10:07:58 AM »
I eat half a gummy after work pretty much every day, and on weekends it's a full gummy in the morning and another in the afternoon.  Each one lasts about six hours and I still get pretty baked on weekends.  Once cannabis became legal where I live and I figured I'd be doing it more often, I wondered if my tolerance would build and I'd have to take breaks, but I really don't think it has.  I don't get the "oh man, I'm so high!" teenage rush like in the old days, but that's more the fact that I'm old as fuck and the feeling itself is nothing new.  I know it's in me doing its magic because I'll listen to tunes or watch a concert on TV and still completely sink into it, like in the old days.
When I can no longer get that is usually when I stop altogether for a year or so. It's happened a few times. Laughing at how high you are is one of life's great pleasures.  :lol
E.F. Benson

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #473 on: September 29, 2023, 10:16:21 AM »
I used to find it amusing, but honestly to me it's nothing more than an observation, and reacting to that observation in the extreme because of the change of mental state itself.  When I get together with the guys once a year in a cabin in northern Michigan, we all get plastered, every night and most days as well.  But there's no "oh wow, I'm so drunk" or "high" or whatever.  We all know it, because we all are.  Saying it out loud doesn't change that, and IMO just makes you sound like a punk.

I cop my buzz, acknowledge it, and enjoy it.  Dwelling on it serves no purpose.  So yeah, apparently I can take the joy out of something as wonderful as getting legally baked, but that's how I roll.  Though I've never been any good at rolling, TBH.

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #474 on: September 29, 2023, 02:06:07 PM »
i like to fill cones. i've never been good at rolling js either.
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #475 on: September 29, 2023, 02:50:01 PM »
When I can no longer get that is usually when I stop altogether for a year or so. It's happened a few times. Laughing at how high you are is one of life's great pleasures.  :lol

It truly is. I can’t belief i didn’t get around to trying weed until it became available medically. It is true bliss, joy and peace for me.

I have had some horrendous lows (like you know the scary lows where it hurts just being alive) and it has never once not gotten me out of it. And for that i am eternally grateful.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #476 on: September 29, 2023, 03:11:59 PM »
Edibles are yummy and convenient, and most importantly don't wreck your lungs, but one thing Mrs. Orbert and I have noticed is that we've lost the feeling of communal experience.  Passing a bowl back and forth, even just once, is a shared experience, and later we can reflect on how stoned we are.  These days it's all edibles; she has her chocolates and I have my gummies, but even when we ingest together, it's just not the same.  Part of it might be the time-delay effect, too.  We partake, then we go watch a movie on TV or something, and sometime in the next 15-30 minutes we're buzzed.  But it happens so gradually, there's no real "wow, I'm really stoned" moment.  It just happens at some point.  So I guess it wasn't that long ago.  It was the switch to edibles that took away the "moment" and with it, the need to comment on it.

But I was never a fan of rolling J's.  Back in college, I needed a machine, but even with legality and pre-rolls available (before the switch to edibles), they're just horribly inefficient when it's just two people.  You hit it, then it sits there and burns while you're holding in your hit.  And since one or two hits was all we needed anyway, we'd also need a way to put it out and somehow save the rest.  J's are just so wasteful.  With a bowl, it was simple; just cover it and it goes out.  Stash it for later.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #477 on: September 29, 2023, 03:55:09 PM »
Joints are still my preferred avenue, but I do mostly smoke bowls at home. It's easier just to smoke the one bowl I want. However, as you mentioned, the communal aspect of smoking a joint is a very cool thing. Three people passing a joint around before (or during) a concert is awesome. I also prefer the high from smoking a joint over a bowl. To me it's a night and day difference, and for that reason I will occasionally twist one up for myself at home. Taking a few hits and putting it out doesn't bother me any.

It's also the case that I'll always wind up with a tiny bit at the bottom of 6 different baggies of 6 different strains, and rolling a suicide joint is the perfect way to deal with that.

As for learning to roll, that's pretty straightforward. Buy a book of zig-zags for $3 and just start rolling until you get decent at it. (Not directed at Orbert, who has no interest, but just general wisdom.) I have learned a few tricks along the way, though. A friend, a master joint roller, taught me to crumble the paper up into a tiny ball and then unravel it before rolling it. It both softens the paper and gives you a crumpled texture that's easier to grip when actually rolling it. A trick I figured out on my own is to snip the bottom corners of the paper before boating it. Just enough so that they're not pointed. That way they don't get caught up in the initial fold-over. My joints are woefully inconsistent, but they're never awful, they're usually good, and occasionally they're exceptional. It's nice rolling a joint that garners compliments for how good it smokes (and how high it makes people).
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #478 on: September 29, 2023, 04:18:29 PM »
El Barto.  Guys weekend at my buddy's campground. Double J-Bar.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #479 on: September 29, 2023, 04:36:56 PM »
+1 on the loving the communal aspects of smoking together with people. One of the best parts of legalization is that when you go to the smoking section at the venues in NJ/NY for a concert, you can easily find friends just by lighting up. 

One thing that I dislike on a personal level, is that very few of my friends use weed at all.  I don't get that communal experience much outside my gf occasionally and the rare times I do with one of my few friends who partakes.  So going to a show and sharing a J, is actually a lot of fun for me even if its with random people.  They are usually super happy to get the J passed to them and stoners are very friendly anyway.

I also use cones (can't roll), and I don't smoke Js at home because it is inefficient and wasteful for just myself.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #480 on: September 29, 2023, 05:47:07 PM »
I go to a game night once a week and the 3 other guys are passing around a J, I don't because I just don't want to be high and then drive home, especially when I am already tired. But yeah, the communal aspect is really great.

Just popped a small gummy and relaxing for the night.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #481 on: September 29, 2023, 06:34:26 PM »
Makes sense Barto. thanks

I also like the 2-3 times a week routine, since being a lightweight let's me get super high where I'm just about in psychedelic space and it is so profoundly helpful to me mentally. 

But I pulled a muscle or something and started using daily and all of a sudden, work no longer bothers me and people actually don't mind me being around. I feel "normal" for lack of a better word. This is a massive realization, so now its just a matter of finding the balance.   

I've gone through phases where I do it every night to only on weekends. I found that my tolerance has pretty much stabilized. I don't get as high as when I first started taking edibles but I typically will reach a consistent high every time I do it if that makes sense.

I go to a game night once a week and the 3 other guys are passing around a J, I don't because I just don't want to be high and then drive home, especially when I am already tired. But yeah, the communal aspect is really great.

Just popped a small gummy and relaxing for the night.

Gonna walk the dog and do the same.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #482 on: September 29, 2023, 06:51:53 PM »
I save getting high for night time and a couple nights a week, when I know for sure I will just be by myself relaxing. Mainly because I am a very anxiety-riddled person, and it helps me to chill out. Of course it feels fun and nice, but the relief from anxiety is also tremendous.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #483 on: September 29, 2023, 07:31:14 PM »
I'm the same about chilling out. When I was in college I would smoke all the time but these days I prefer to have an edible be the nightcap.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #484 on: September 29, 2023, 08:46:41 PM »
One other thing that I love about edibles is they are discreet.

I have ones that are just red and white capsules and I do get a kick out of taking them right in front my boss. She's like "oh, do you have a headache" since they look like Tylenol and I'm like "yes and its about to go away"  :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #485 on: September 30, 2023, 07:01:39 AM »
I wish I could take the pills.  That to me would be perfect, just pop a pill, cop a buzz.  But I've tried two different brands, and something in them makes me break out in hives.  Very annoying.  It's the exact same reaction I got when the pharmacy one time substituted generic for a med I usually get brand-name.  I'm allergic to something in one of the fillers they put into generic meds (and cannabis pills, apparently).

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #486 on: September 30, 2023, 11:00:37 AM »
I am very careful to keep mine out of reach and sight of children, that's a scary thought if they get ahold of them.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #487 on: September 30, 2023, 07:52:41 PM »
I wish I could take the pills.  That to me would be perfect, just pop a pill, cop a buzz.  But I've tried two different brands, and something in them makes me break out in hives.  Very annoying.  It's the exact same reaction I got when the pharmacy one time substituted generic for a med I usually get brand-name.  I'm allergic to something in one of the fillers they put into generic meds (and cannabis pills, apparently).

Damn that sucks. Here's the ones I get. Not sure if this brand would do you any better, but this are by far my favorites. And the 5mg lets me really customize the dose I need

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #488 on: September 30, 2023, 08:52:15 PM »
That's not one of the brands I've tried, and there are several, so I might try one more...

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #489 on: October 01, 2023, 10:10:42 AM »
Sticking with brands is really difficult since states have such different laws.  Like every NJ dispensary has their own brands so you don't really see overlap when going to different shops.

Tested a half gummy last night so ~120mg and WOW that hit me hard.  I woke up at 4am to piss and still felt high  :lol