Author Topic: Dream Theater self titled album discussion - [SPOILER FREE DISCUSSION ONLY]  (Read 913180 times)

Offline Labrie1984

Perhaps the single is dropping next week! On the backs of angels was a high quality single from my point of view. I expect the new one to be, at least, equally worthwile.

Offline ibosmiley

Wow, a lot happened while I was away on vacay.

I dig the cover art, minus that lil flaw.  I love the track names.  And from the videos it sounds like this should be pretty good.  Seems like this album should be a bit different that the previous, which is good.  I am digging the shorter song length potential.  Not that I have anything against longer songs, but I think it's high time they went back and explored their shorter song styles, like from Awake and FII (and even SFAM to an extent).

Look forward to hearing a single whenever they decide to release it.  Not pressed here; when it happens it happens.  :tup
"Are you listening to the words I say.  In the meadows my thoughts dance and play.  I know now I'm the only one.  Who can convince the rising sun"

Offline Xanadu

Im guessing a single will come the first or second week of august.
Personally, i feel that its a bit too early to get it right now. IŽll end up listening the song to death, and skipping over it when i finally listen to the album in its entirety, which might ruin the flow of the album. When September 24th comes iŽll be way to excited to listen to all the new music, that listening to a song that iŽve heard non-stop for two months is out of the question  :P

HI! "New" guy here btw! Looong time lurker. I was registered a couple years back, and did some posting, but i eventually forgot my password, and my old username/password-combo got lost when i changed my e-mail account.
I was registered as St_Lucifer on the old DT.net site if that rings any bells for all you old folks.

Offline jonnybaxy

• Step after step We try controlling our fate When we finally start living it's become too late
  • DTF.org Alumni
Welcome back then I guess  :biggrin:

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
Welcome back! :)
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Petruccinator12

Well...so close to 100 pages :P

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
When we reach 100, we will get the release date of the release date of the possible release date of the single :lol

Offline liran95

When we reach 100, we will get the release date of the release date of the possible release date of the single :lol

What are you talking about?...
They've already announced the release date of the single.

SOON  :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Offline nikatapi

Ι wonder when we will start seeing interviews and reviews come up on the internet, i think there are many people who have received promo copies, so i guess some people would like to be among the first to review the album.

Offline krands85

Everyone must have a low 'posts per page' setting - I'm only on page 69  ;D
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Everyone must have the correct 'posts per page' setting - I'm only on page 69  ;D

FTFY :biggrin:

Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Petruccinator12

Everyone must have the correct 'posts per page' setting - I'm only on page 69  ;D

FTFY :biggrin:

So we are not even close...which would justify the "soon-argument" :D

Offline Pepe108

Maybe we should wait for a confirmation to show this review.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
Considering the very questionable source of that "review", I'm not sure that link is going to be allowed.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
Until the official release of that information, take that with a grain of salt. It's entirely possible that an early reviewer updated the article with track lengths. It's just as likely to be someone guessing.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Tis BOOLsheet

• Banned
I wouldn't pay too much attention to the reviews. We will all have to listen to it ourselves. None of them has even been helpful in identifying with any precision the sound of the album.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
Are these song lengths correct?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dream_Theater_(album)

Would be pretty awesome if they were.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
The album adds up to roughly 76 minutes with those lengths.

I did it by minutes and then decimals . Eg. 6:40 = 6 minutes and .6 of a minute...

Anyone care to correct me ? :)

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail

I did it by minutes and then decimals . Eg. 6:40 = 6 minutes and .6 of a minute...

74 minutes and 11 seconds. I like these song lengths much better, specifically for FAS. I hope they're the real ones but I'll wait and see.
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

Offline Pepe108

Those lenghts are fake. The real ones were posted here a few pages ago, and they were confirmed by Noxon. The album is 68 minutes long, which I personally like.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni

I'm sure you're not too far off either way. And I think those are bogus times. It is wikipedia after all, and it's not strongly backed up by the info we have so far from various sources.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
 :metal We'll see in time who was telling the truth :)

As I said before - I'm not bothered if it's 78 minutes or 68.

An hour and ten of concise well executed music is far better than an hour and twenty of mediocre music.

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
still talking about song lengths :'(
music quality and duration are mutually exclusive.

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well

Did someone edit this wiki? There are no song lengths here. Not that it matters if they're fake, but otherwise I don't see why this article is being brought up. I see nothing new here.
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
I removed them.

Offline robwebster

Did someone edit this wiki? There are no song lengths here. Not that it matters if they're fake, but otherwise I don't see why this article is being brought up. I see nothing new here.
According to page history, it was edited by one "noxon," for being - among other things - complete nonsense.

ETA: And there's the man himself!

Offline Lucien

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Cancel Red Alert ! Resume waiting ! :lol

Offline Petruccinator12

Oh man...this is getting frustrating -.-

Offline Lucien

You can preorder the album on Amazon now (as in not an import)

https://www.amazon.com/Dream-Theater/dp/B00DJ80VMM/

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
Oh man...this is getting frustrating -.-

It is indeed frustrating being led on by false information. Though that's my fault for getting my hopes up.
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

Offline Petruccinator12

Maybe we should wait for a confirmation to show this review.

Which review..?