Author Topic: Dream Theater self titled album discussion - [SPOILER FREE DISCUSSION ONLY]  (Read 913165 times)

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
This may have been brought up before, but does anyone else think that Queensryche releasing a self-title album this year might have a negative effect on people's reception of the new DT album? I mean, obviously the music will speak for itself, but I can see some people who follow Queensryche being put off by this... I don't even know whether to call it a coincidence or not.

Not a chance in hell. Queensryche with La Torre has to regain fans, while DTs fan base has stayed fairly consistent. I don't think QR releasing a self titled CD before DT does has any bearing at all on how either band's release does.
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
Not a chance in hell. Queensryche with La Torre has to regain fans, while DTs fan base has stayed fairly consistent. I don't think QR releasing a self titled CD before DT does has any bearing at all on how either band's release does.

Or... Could it go completely the other way around, and considering that the two biggest pioneers of Prog Metal both released a self-titled album on the same year? Could it make people get 'patriotic' (for the lack of a better term) about Progressive Metal, and encourage some people who kind of drifted to other musical styles, to catch up on the genre and embrace it once again?
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline mellotron_scratch

Yea, they never seemed to take a huge interest in Jazz music. JP seems to be a bit into fusion, but that's it. Being a good improviser/soloist is different than being a "talented jazz player". Jazz is a completely different animal to what DT does.

I don't really think that's the case. I could be wrong, but I feel like they are completely capable of writing jazz. LTE had a lot more jazz influence than DT ever has, and I'd be happy even with just that amount of jazz in their music.

Nah, the music LTE did had nothing to do with jazz.  It seems to me that the people talking about DT's "jazz influences" aren't really familiar with jazz at all.

Agreed. Just because LTE had improvisation doesn't mean it was jazz

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well

Or... Could it go completely the other way around, and considering that the two biggest pioneers of Prog Metal both released a self-titled album on the same year? Could it make people get 'patriotic' (for the lack of a better term) about Progressive Metal, and encourage some people who kind of drifted to other musical styles, to catch up on the genre and embrace it once again?

I think DT would encourage people who've drifted to other styles to come back to prog metal rather than Queensryche. While Queensryche were pioneers before DT hit the scene, DT has avoided vicious media clashes between current and former members (during a year they're releasing big new music.) I don't think we have to worry about anyone affecting either release. Queensryche is already out, you can hear what it sounds like and make a judgement. As for DT, we have no idea what to expect, and the anticipation for their new CD is still building.
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
Yea, they never seemed to take a huge interest in Jazz music. JP seems to be a bit into fusion, but that's it. Being a good improviser/soloist is different than being a "talented jazz player". Jazz is a completely different animal to what DT does.

I don't really think that's the case. I could be wrong, but I feel like they are completely capable of writing jazz. LTE had a lot more jazz influence than DT ever has, and I'd be happy even with just that amount of jazz in their music.

Nah, the music LTE did had nothing to do with jazz.  It seems to me that the people talking about DT's "jazz influences" aren't really familiar with jazz at all.
Yea. I hear a hint of Jazz on the solos for Solitary Shell and that's about it. And even that's pushing it.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
This should be our RR guy  :laugh:

Iron Man is a Dream Theater fan! https://ow.ly/naWgh

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland

The account of Roadrunner Records on Tumblr also posted that :lol fun fact, that Tumblr also reblogged my Dream Theater/Game Of Thrones sigils :hat

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Nefarius

• Named Nefarius since before it was cool.
they should offer the an instant download of the CD when you pre-order. they could do it the same as they do for the magazines, mark it so they can trace if anyone leaks it, and then we would get it sooner and they get alot more pre-orders. i for one thinks it sucks that a magazine writer who probably doesnt give a crap about DT gets to hear it 2 months before the paying customer.

That would mean watermarking a set of MP3s for every pre-ordering customer, not much fun and not very practicable. Same as preparing the inevitable lawsuits against hundreds of idiots who want to be the first to leak it anyways, not much fun either. Denny Crane! And of course magazines get pre-release versions, they need to write previews about that damn thing before it's available to build the anticipation and hype even more, it's a part of marketing.

If you're so anxious to listen to it on release day you can always pre-order the deluxe-box-set-thingy. If it's like the last two albums it will offer a digital download version available on release. Though their download servers tend to reach their limits pretty fast and be very slow, so you better prepare for a few hours and disconnects.

Greetings...
Nef

Offline tiagodon

If the wait is anguish, the new album from Avenged Sevenfold is coming up next month. I think that A7X and DT have a lot in common musically. Something to fulfill the void...

Offline aprilethereal

If the wait is anguish, the new album from Avenged Sevenfold is coming up next month. I think that A7X and DT have a lot in common musically. Something to fulfill the void...

:facepalm:

I hope you're not serious.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni

The account of Roadrunner Records on Tumblr also posted that :lol fun fact, that Tumblr also reblogged my Dream Theater/Game Of Thrones sigils :hat
Check you out baby!!!! hat-worthy!  ;)

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member

Actually they have.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline erciccio

Well, they both have a drummer, a guitar player, a bass guitar player and a singer.

That proves at least an 80% commonality  :huh: :huh:
Ora che ho perso la vista,ci vedo di più

Offline tiagodon

Actually they have.

Yes, they do! A7X was the previous step for me to starting to like DT. I would say that A7X is a DT with less complexity (instrumentally speaking).

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
They're both metal bands that like to think they're progressive.

Offline Sycsa

They're both metal bands that like to think they're progressive.
DT would like to think that they're progressive? You be sappin' mah brain.  :lol

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
Long songs and wankery ≠ progressive. I would argue the most progressive bands of our day aren't even remotely associated with the genre.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Long songs and wankery ≠ progressive. I would argue the most progressive bands of our day aren't even remotely associated with the genre.

So that makes DT not progressive?

SD there many genres of prog.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
They're just a metal band that writes long songs. And as I said in another thread, unless I'm missing someone crucial, prog is not progressive.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
They were trending more metal but that still doesn't exclude them from prog.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
No, it doesn't exclude them from prog metal. But then Metallica is considered as having prog tendencies.

Offline Joshin U

• On a wrecking ball to view a fashion show
prog is not progressive.

wat

I was under the impression that prog is literally just short for progressive...?  :huh:

Unless you mean most bands that CALL themselves prog aren't truly progressive.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
They're just a metal band that writes long songs. And as I said in another thread, unless I'm missing someone crucial, prog is not progressive.
IMO, they are the same thing. The distinction is just a one made up by people who take music really seriously and want to distinguish bands who make music in the styles of the 70's prog rockers (prog) with bands who genuinely try and push the limits of music in their own way (progressive).

I have no problem calling "prog" bands "progressive" bands, and "proggressive" bands "prog". From my perspective, bands who follow the tradition of 70s  rock can always be referred to as progressive bands OR prog for shorthand, whereas the more modern genre-defyers are generally tacked with the label "experimental" instead.

No matter how you slice it, DT are both progressive AND experimental, though they were more balanced in the early days, whereas now I think they pretty much stick to their own confines (which is fine). I don't mind DT sticking to prog, but I would like a little bit more of that early genre experimenation/fusion return, like the carribean sounding music in Learning to Live or the Jazz across SFAM.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
prog is not progressive.

wat

I was under the impression that prog is literally just short for progressive...?  :huh:

This.

Besides, they have all the time signature changes that are associated with the early progressive bands.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
No, it doesn't exclude them from prog metal. But then Metallica is considered as having prog tendencies.

Not even close.  DT is a prog style of metal and Metallica is a metal band.

Hey, I for one like when DY is not metal all the time.

Offline Sycsa

Octavarium got 70's prog written all over it.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline tiagodon

I would say that "And Justice for All" from Metallica is a metal prog album!

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
prog is not progressive.

wat

This.

Besides, they have all the time signature changes that are associated with the early progressive bands.

Which is entirely my point.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
prog is not progressive.

wat

This.

You kind of made the impression that DT is prog, but not progressive.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline jdprsaga

Yea. I hear a hint of Jazz on the solos for Solitary Shell and that's about it. And even that's pushing it.

Well it would be nice if they use something in the line of The Saurus, that would be freaking cool, at least in some instrumental brake or something

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
prog is not progressive.

wat

This.

You kind of made the impression that DT is prog, but not progressive.

Correct. Noodling around on a mellotron like bands from the '70s may make you prog, but that's not progressive.

Offline dongringo

What a funny conversation. Prog is simply short for Progressive.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline Joshin U

• On a wrecking ball to view a fashion show
prog is not progressive.

wat

This.

Fair enough, but if prog and progressive are interchangable, and prog truly isn't progressive anymore...

What IS progressive anymore?

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
I dunno, what do you think?

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
I've seen that definition here before - who came up with "prog" and "progressive" being two different labels? Where and when was it established? By who?

How can a band who has a reggae section in Learning To Live (live version), a horror movie section in The Dark Eternal Night or a ragtime piano section in Dance of Eternity, amidst all the metal riffs, not be considered progressive? The band is a lot more than heavy riffs and different time signatures.
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.