Author Topic: Dream Theater self titled album discussion - [SPOILER FREE DISCUSSION ONLY]  (Read 913203 times)

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
Wow, I wonder if that review has any new information. Shiat, where are the Indonesian DT fans over here?

They're waiting for Mike Portnoy, drum god, to come back to their country, pls.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
But I bet he's been Baptized by Fire on the way to No Man's Land while petting his Junkyard Dog.

RIP

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Flacracker

anyone speaking Indonesian?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZ8ltlcGG_Q

(wow good-looking tv presenter talking about DT....it's pretty weird ;D)
The title in google translate says "Dream Theater will release new album" So it might not be a review, just general news.

Offline Lucidity

• Patron Saint of Time Signatures
This is kind of picky, but was anyone else a bit disappointed that Prog Magazine's little review wasn't somtehing along the lines of "Dream Theater has released the best material they have since Images; this album is game-changing; the band is reahcing in new directions, etc."? Considering all the hype DT themselves are building around this release, it sounds like it's got to be pretty damn good. The review gave me a feeling of just another typical DT album  :-\

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
This is kind of picky, but was anyone else a bit disappointed that Prog Magazine's little review wasn't somtehing along the lines of "Dream Theater has released the best material they have since Images; this album is game-changing; the band is reahcing in new directions, etc."? Considering all the hype DT themselves are building around this release, it sounds like it's got to be pretty damn good. The review gave me a feeling of just another typical DT album  :-\

Wouldn't this imply the album is pretty damn good?  :biggrin:
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?

I get what you are saying but who knows the musical tastes of the person writing the review.  Just because you know of DT and are in a position to get an early taste, doesn't mean you are a diehard like most of us.  I would expect as more reviewers get a promo copy, we will see some of that type analysis.
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline Lucidity

• Patron Saint of Time Signatures

Not to say that there's anything at all wrong with another typical DT album, but all the things the band has been saying about the album (I know they talk up every album before release, but I feel like they're especially excited for this one) make me feel like it should be some sort of Dream Theater milestone. I love everything DT makes with few exceptions, but I want to hear them explore new territory.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
Honestly I don't think it's going to happen. There will be differences, new facets due to the inception of MM into the songwriting process and the particular approach of this record, but it's going to sound like a Dream Theater album.

I don't expect them to go through a skin shedding event like Opeth did with Heritage or POS with Road Salt, just to name two examples, it's pretty clear at this point that we will hear "Dream Theater at its maximum", not "Dream Theater as you have never heard it before".
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Flacracker

Considering the comment about "the bands detractors" we might be able to assume that the person making the comment isn't the biggest fan of Dream Theater.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop

Like hot chicks can't be into Dream Theater ???
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Flacracker

Hot chicks love Progressive Metal...  :'(

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
Maybe it's "chicks that love progressive metal are hot!"
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
No, because bands that have done "game changers" at least once, like DT, rarely do them twice. That's an insane expectation. Also because I just don't expect a band to do so toward the later half of their career anyway.

Offline dparrott

Kinda funny how they switched from the Another Day vid to the new studio vids, with AD still playing. 
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus

Not to say that there's anything at all wrong with another typical DT album, but all the things the band has been saying about the album (I know they talk up every album before release, but I feel like they're especially excited for this one) make me feel like it should be some sort of Dream Theater milestone. I love everything DT makes with few exceptions, but I want to hear them explore new territory.

I honestly have no idea what you are talking about when you say the band is hyping this album more than usual.  This is pretty much exactly how they have hyped other albums.  Judging from a handful of posts, a handful of fans (i.e., not the band) for some reason have read too much into the fact that it is self-titled and have used that to hype themselves up.  But I haven't seen anything out of the norm from DT.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
Judging from a handful of posts, a handful of fans (i.e., not the band) for some reason have read too much into the fact that it is self-titled and have used that to hype themselves up.  But I haven't seen anything out of the norm from DT.

Well, in fairness, a self-titled album is a statement the band have never made before.  What that statement means is open to interpretation, of course, but I don't think it's much of a stretch to say that it's a very confident statement, whatever it's saying. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Online fadetoblackdude7

The RR podcast hyped me up a lot, with them saying "These are the best songs the band has ever written" and the band themselves saying this is their finest work, I'm expecting a little more than an average DT album this time.

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
Judging from a handful of posts, a handful of fans (i.e., not the band) for some reason have read too much into the fact that it is self-titled and have used that to hype themselves up.  But I haven't seen anything out of the norm from DT.

Well, in fairness, a self-titled album is a statement the band have never made before.  What that statement means is open to interpretation, of course, but I don't think it's much of a stretch to say that it's a very confident statement, whatever it's saying.

Not only the title, but they've also mentioned how this album is cohesive, containing all of the "aspects they are known for". I don't know if this can be called hyping, but it's a pretty interesting thing to say at least. Petrucci also said on the first video that he feels this is the band's strongest effort, but then again, bands say that 99 percent of the time  :D

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
The RR podcast hyped me up a lot, with them saying "These are the best songs the band has ever written" and the band themselves saying this is their finest work, I'm expecting a little more than an average DT album this time.
Luckily, the average DT album is pretty good (considering that WDADU and Systematic Chaos are quite below average, for example)
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni

Not only the title, but they've also mentioned how this album is cohesive, containing all of the "aspects they are known for".

Yeah, but I'm kind of with bosk on that part - they say that stuff every album, don't they?  Pretty sure I read something like that about ADTOE, and I know BC&SL was supposed to be ACOS, 8VM, and LTL on one album or something like that.
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me

She's saying "MP DURM GOOD DREAM THEATD DREMA TEAM AWESOME.....KONSERT SOON.....IDONESIA PLS..........WE WAIT...........MP ...."

Courtesy of google translate.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets

Offline matte.braso

I really suggest you to search 'Dream Theater new album riff 2' on youtube............mindblowing!!!!!!

Offline JoeG

• Engineering student by day, DTF word-spewer by night
I really suggest you to search 'Dream Theater new album riff 2' on youtube............mindblowing!!!!!!

If you're referring to the videos I think you are, those have been confirmed fake.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
Dudes, don't talk about leaks here, even if they probably are fake.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
I think he's talking about the new arrangement of that riff DTF transcribed:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUnYo6r2S-s

Offline matte.braso

If you're referring to the videos I think you are, those have been confirmed fake.

absolutely not, it shows a guy playing keyboards taken from the famous MIDI ;) the fun thing is that he added drums and guitars to the part and the result is great!

Offline JoeG

• Engineering student by day, DTF word-spewer by night
I think he's talking about the new arrangement of that riff DTF transcribed:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUnYo6r2S-s

Oh wow, that's actually pretty cool. Nice find!

Thought you meant the guitar only tracks that were floating around a while ago.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent

Oh, okay.

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
how were the guitar tracks confirmed fake? I mean from listening to them once I felt that they were fake (uninspired, cliche riffing...) and the guys story isn't convincing at all. Did DT confirm they were fake?

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
Yes. Both Petrucci and Richard Chycki told people they were fake.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline inoku

I'm Indonesian. There is nothing new on the video.

Offline aprilethereal

It's just that every band says that about every new album they release.

Don't get too hyped up, guys. I'm sure it will be a great album, but expecting the best thing ever is maybe a bit too much.

Offline Aythesryche

• DT.net Veteran
To some it just may be the best thing ever and to others, not so much. The band, in fact, may feel this is their best music to date and a lot of people will probably agree and some won't. Personally, I enjoy the hype of a new DT release and its my prerogative to say to myself "This new album is going to be fucking awesome."

If I was standing in line for an hour for a brand new roller coaster that was supposedly hyped up to be the most thrilling ride ever, I'm going to be pretty friggin' pumped about it. If some guy behind me tells me "Hey man, don't get too excited. I'm sure it's going to be a good ride but don't get your hopes up thinking its the best ride ever." I'm going to think to myself, "Screw that, I'm getting more excited the closer I get to that seat on the ride."

Feel excited, neutral, pissed or whatever about the hype. Personally, I find all this positively entertaining.

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
To some it just may be the best thing ever and to others, not so much. The band, in fact, may feel this is their best music to date and a lot of people will probably agree and some won't. Personally, I enjoy the hype of a new DT release and its my prerogative to say to myself "This new album is going to be fucking awesome."

If I was standing in line for an hour for a brand new roller coaster that was supposedly hyped up to be the most thrilling ride ever, I'm going to be pretty friggin' pumped about it. If some guy behind me tells me "Hey man, don't get too excited. I'm sure it's going to be a good ride but don't get your hopes up thinking its the best ride ever." I'm going to think to myself, "Screw that, I'm getting more excited the closer I get to that seat on the ride."

Feel excited, neutral, pissed or whatever about the hype. Personally, I find all this positively entertaining.

Amen, brother! :tup

I'm fuckin pumped. :metal
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?