Author Topic: NFL Thread 2015 v. Please make deflategate posts in the thread named for it  (Read 255160 times)

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: NFL Thread 2015 v. Please make deflategate posts in the thread named for it
« Reply #4865 on: February 14, 2016, 02:40:14 PM »
Yeah, it's not a new story at all. It's just that the last time it came out, social media wasn't much of a thing. And we all know that the NFL prefers to sweep most things under the rug (along with ESPN, who the NFL has massive influence over).

That being said, the whole story is awful. Another athlete that everyone has put on a pedestal dragged back down to earth.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4866 on: February 14, 2016, 02:50:48 PM »
Well it is brought back up because of a new lawsuit from 6 girls suing.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #4867 on: February 14, 2016, 03:35:34 PM »
And the indisputable fact remains that IF any of the allegations mentioned are true, then it's a complete disgrace that Peyton has yet to be punished for it and equally disgraceful how a potentially fully innocent person's career has been fucked up twice in this absurd coverup.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4868 on: February 14, 2016, 04:12:56 PM »
Anyone else read Shaun King's piece about Peyton Manning's alleged sexual assault on a Tennessee trainer back during his college days? If everything in the article is true, it makes Peyton nearly reach Bill Romanowski levels of worthlessness or even exceed them since Bill (as far as I know) never crudely forced himself on anyone.

Yes, I read it. I'm kind of waiting to see if it gets traction. On one hand everything in the article makes your blood boil and you wonder how the heck this hasn't been mentioned before. I mean, it's not like the Manning's are members of the Mob or Politicians to be able to keep something like that buried. On the other hand, I'm thinking it's not 'a story' or hasn't been largely reported because it's simply not true?

It makes your blood boil if it is true.   I don't know, I wasn't there, but I'm going go hold judgement until there is something more concrete than what I read (which doesn't have any official documents, just a statement and some innuendo). 

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #4869 on: February 14, 2016, 10:27:50 PM »
Well, King's article has one of the official documents embedded within it (about 3/4 the way through):

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/king-peyton-manning-squeaky-clean-image-built-lies-article-1.2530395

If I'm understanding correctly, the document contained there is basically the accuser's writeup of the defamation suit, which is of course not Peyton's side of the story. However, the judge saw fit enough to not dismiss the suit, basically saying that Peyton lied in his book or knew about lies written in the book with intent to assassinate this women's character.

That alone is terrible; the truth of the earlier sexual assault allegation is probably unknowable at this point. Not sure, though, why Peyton chose to violate the original 1997 confidentiality agreement by writing about the woman in his book. True or not, if the story won't die, I guess that's his fault for not letting it when he had the chance.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 10:35:02 PM by contest_sanity »

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #4870 on: February 14, 2016, 10:33:36 PM »
Yep. That definitely doesn't seem like the actions of an innocent person.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4871 on: February 15, 2016, 04:24:27 AM »
The timing of it though is rather ironic, but not surprising given that Shaun King is a Black Lives Movement activist, so I am guessing he is throwing a hissy fit over the criticism Cam Newton, a black quarterback, has gotten this week, so he wrote and published that article this week to smear the Super Bowl-winning white quarterback.  It's so obvious.
Not so obvious, and pretty bad speculation.

Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #4872 on: February 15, 2016, 06:37:28 AM »
The timing & reasoning for the report being released is questionable. If he did what he was accused of then yes it's reprehensible. Honestly I'm not sure what to think about this. He was never charged but that doesn't mean much considering he was a huge college star and they can and probably have gotten away with murder. Look at Jamis Winston. That being said it was 20 years ago. I'm more angered by the fact that him and his family tried to cover it up and go after the accuser. If he would have just admitted to it and apologized for his actions it would have been a story for a couple of week, if that, and never came back to haunt him. He still would have gone on to the NFL and had a great career. There is no doubt in my mind that he'll retire and fade into the sunset.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4873 on: February 15, 2016, 05:37:48 PM »
The timing of it though is rather ironic, but not surprising given that Shaun King is a Black Lives Movement activist, so I am guessing he is throwing a hissy fit over the criticism Cam Newton, a black quarterback, has gotten this week, so he wrote and published that article this week to smear the Super Bowl-winning white quarterback.  It's so obvious.
Not so obvious, and pretty bad speculation.

Okay.