Author Topic: ProgPower USA XX, Sept 4-7 2019 - Pretty Maids-Evergrey-Seventh Wonder-Dem&Wiz+  (Read 36771 times)

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Word from certain reliable birdies is that James dropped at the last minute because he "wasn't getting enough money" to play. Whether that was his words or his agent/manager's, I dunno, but that was the reason given. Let's just say James is on PP's permanent shitlist.

But then it could be Marco that asked for more. He is a visa person after all.

But, once they showed the videos. I was underwhlemed. Last year had one of the best lineups. Maybe they need to get more Female acts again. Last year was the year of the Females and they all kicked ass.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
I know I was a bit underwhelmed with the line up announcement but once I started checking the bands out, I changed my tune.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Chad, for CH, I'm not sure what you heard, but here is the full Bloom album https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoIOobEZ_P4  The first two songs you should check out and then literally check out if its not for you.  I absolutely love how this album starts (not a bad track on this album either but it starts so strong). 

So, I finally got around to spinning Bloom yesterday.  Gave it four tracks (maybe 5, I wasn't paying attention to the tracklisting) before pulling the ripcord.  Definitely not my bag.

Listening to Jag Panzer right now.  Decent enough, though I'm far from wow'd.  I'll stick around for their set, and get lunch during Caligula's Horse.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Chad, if you're already there, for Caligila's Horse, I wouldn't skip them. I mean, I'm with you totally on them, but I bet they'd be worth the watch live.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Stay for the Horse!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online Ben_Jamin

Its crazy how many people are not going? Trying to sell their tickets.

The only one I really want to see is Seventh Wonder
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Chad, if you're already there, for Caligila's Horse, I wouldn't skip them. I mean, I'm with you totally on them, but I bet they'd be worth the watch live.

Yeah. If anything, when in five years another young modern prog-nerd on this forum will try to shame you because "how do you not even like Leprous and Haken, man", you can say to them "do you know who I am? I saw Caligula's Horse live on In Contact tour!"

Or actually do skip them if they're not your cup of tea, your call.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
 :lol

While I'm not a Fates Warning fan, I kind of kick myself for being there and not checking them out at PP17.  There's a few other examples of opening bands that I was at the venue for and chose not to see that I would later kick myself over when discovering them later on and realizing I missed an opportunity to see them, I was there?!  When I think about that, I try to make sure I give bands a chance.  Not saying, that you'll enjoy them all of the sudden or anything, but if you are there, it's worth checking out, for even just a minute. 

Of course everyone needs to eat so planning around the bands does come into play (as well as signing sessions).  Day 3 of PP last year I didn't eat anything just because I was busy wanting to check out the bands, get signatures, chat with people, drank a lot and next thing I know the show was over  :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, I was shocked at how quickly the days seemed to go by last year, especially as a first timer getting used to the signing and all the activity going on. On day 1 after Ross the Boss I caught Mike Lepond just standing alone in the lobby and from that moment on everything happened at light speed  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Sounds awesome. I wish they had this when I was younger.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Sounds awesome. I wish they had this when I was younger.

It's such a unique thing.  I really appreciate the work the promoters do to make this happen.  It's small and intimate, a cool community of fans, foreign bands you'd otherwise never get to see, the bands themselves are often fans like the rest of us, and of course there's the party of it all as well.  It's unlike any festival or concert experience really.  Also, it's GA but has a pit and theater seating, in/out privileges so there's a lot of freedom you won't find at any other show either.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
^^ Plus... air conditioned venue. No pit stains and sunburns for this guy.  :lol

Offline Lethean

But, once they showed the videos. I was underwhlemed. Last year had one of the best lineups.

I think last year's days 1 and 2 were way better than this year, but this year has a better days 3 and 4.  But I realize it's all down to taste. 

Offline Lethean

Yeah. If anything, when in five years another young modern prog-nerd on this forum will try to shame you because "how do you not even like Leprous and Haken, man", you can say to them "do you know who I am? I saw Caligula's Horse live on In Contact tour!"

Or actually do skip them if they're not your cup of tea, your call.

:lol  Jingle, I think if you can, you should watch the first 15-20 minutes.  if it turns out to be not your thing, you can still bail and have plenty of time for lunch.  If you like it, there are a couple places within walking distance of the venue that you can usually grab a quick bite and be back within the 30 minutes between bands.  I often try to have lunch before the first band, and then do the 30 minute thing for dinner, unless I skip out on a band after their 15 minutes are up. :)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Chad's going to spend 33% of the festival at the venue, 33% of the festival getting lunch, and 34% in his room watching Pretty Maids videos.  :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Chad's going to spend 33% of the festival at the venue, 33% of the festival getting lunch, and 34% in his room watching Pretty Maids videos.  :lol

Not far off!  lol, jk.

@ Lethean, that is most likely what I will do.  I'm there, so I'll give it an honest go.  But if I can't sit thru Sanctuary, I'm certainly not coming back for Insomnium.  Them and Barren Earth are the acts I'm pretty sure I'm not going to subject myself to.  #ComeAtMe.

Listening to Psychotic Waltz right now (Bleeding).  A much more enjoyable listen than their debut album.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Don't forget the 33% of my time in the merch room!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
... And now I'm rather enjoying Psychotic Waltz / Mosquito.

@ Puppies... you threw me a dud in the roulette last year.  These guys are pretty good!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
I slept on the merch room last year and totally forgot to check it out until I think day 3. Who knows what I missed buying those first two days. Not making that mistake again this year. At least I caught the last copy of Ayreon Universe  :biggrin:

Offline Lethean

Not far off!  lol, jk.

@ Lethean, that is most likely what I will do.  I'm there, so I'll give it an honest go.  But if I can't sit thru Sanctuary, I'm certainly not coming back for Insomnium.  Them and Barren Earth are the acts I'm pretty sure I'm not going to subject myself to.  #ComeAtMe.
No need to.  I'm not enthused about either of those bands either.  As it turns out, I probably won't be there Wednesday anyway.  If I was, I'd give Insomnium a shot - there are a handful of bands with harsh vocals that I like.

Listening to Psychotic Waltz right now (Bleeding).  A much more enjoyable listen than their debut album.
I listened to some of the debut and thought it was OK.  Bleeding was pretty enjoyable.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Well this has definitely been a nightmare year for ProgPower. Iron Mask dropped way early on, then Pretty Maids dropped a couple months ago, then Wind Rose recently. And today they announced Ancient Bards and Secret Sphere both had to pull out. So now day 1 is entirely different: Insomnium stuck around but they're replacing Pretty Maids as the headliner, and filling the rest of the slots are Sanctuary, Theocracy, and While Heaven Wept.

Gutted about Secret Sphere, don't care about Ancient Bards; I don't know anything about While Heaven Wept, but I'm PSYCHED to finally see Theocracy for the first time. If I had made Mad With Power last weekend, that could've been my first Theocracy show, so I'm super hyped I'm not missing them after all. So it's about an equal trade for me, personally.

I hope next year goes more smoothly. Can we update the thread title? PM ain't coming.  :lol

Online Ben_Jamin

That's really unfortunate.

Now, I'm curious why they pulled out?

Offline goo-goo

Visa issues mostly. With Secret Sphere and Ancient Bards, they had the visas approved but the consulate appointment was going to be to far out that they wouldn't be able to make the gig.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
UGH WTF, Secret Sphere is really good and I'm just starting to really like them  >:( >:( >:(

I essentially don't really care much about day 1 at this point sadly.  I don't have time or honestly much more interest to start digging into these bands.  I'll check it out, I'll be there, I will support the festival, but I am just sooo bummed it's way too close for bands to be dropping now.  Didn't they just print all the shirts?!

Chad, we going to watch Pretty Maid videos?

Online Ben_Jamin

Visa issues mostly. With Secret Sphere and Ancient Bards, they had the visas approved but the consulate appointment was going to be to far out that they wouldn't be able to make the gig.

Just saw. Both being from Italy too.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
UGH WTF, Secret Sphere is really good and I'm just starting to really like them  >:( >:( >:(

I essentially don't really care much about day 1 at this point sadly.  I don't have time or honestly much more interest to start digging into these bands.  I'll check it out, I'll be there, I will support the festival, but I am just sooo bummed it's way too close for bands to be dropping now.  Didn't they just print all the shirts?!

Oh maaan I hope they didn't print the shirts... I hope at least they'll be selling those flags again this year and all the bands are updated for that.

I'm still gonna watch the bands and have fun!  :lol This is actually a net positive for me, getting Theocracy out of the swap.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

I don't know While Heaven Wept, but Theocracy is a win for me.  I'd take them over Ancient Bards, and about on par (from an interest level) with Secret Sphere.

Time to re-do my PPUSA playlist, and check out WHW.

But Marc... yes, I'm down for watching Maid in Switzerland Wednesday night.

Seriously.... at this point, Glenn has to be thinking about loading up heavier on US-based acts.  This VISA process is ridiculous.  Reading Milton's post was heartbreaking and maddening.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
THEOCRACY??  See you guys there!  ;D

Theocracy replacing any band on that bill is a win. Seriously.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Yea, I just read the post now and it's just so infuriating that this is such a ridiculous over the top complicated process.    I can't imagine what the team goes through to make this happen at all. 

Nice that you guys really enjoy Theocracy, I should check them out, but I feel like there's so much music and not enough time to explore new bands for the festival for me.  I've been listening to Mayan a bit more lately, been getting excited for Day 2 because I was already feeling like Day 1 was the weakest, now it's not really of too much interest.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
THEOCRACY??  See you guys there!  ;D

Theocracy replacing any band on that bill is a win. Seriously.

TAC, get your balls down there so I can bust them in person for once.

Marc - check out the song On Eagles' Wings for a taste of Theocracy. Super catchy high energy power metal, if there's one song you should know, it's that one.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Fine I'll turn off my death metal  :lol (listening to a lot of Behemoth, Gojira, Mayan this week)

and ok... 1 minute in and this is way more up my ally than the above (although Gojira is soooooo good)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
See, I have occasional good suggestions.  :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Honestly, that song was better than many in your top 50 albums from other power metal bands I checked out.  Maybe this actually is a good thing then  :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Honestly, that song was better than many in your top 50 albums from other power metal bands I checked out.  Maybe this actually is a good thing then  :lol

:tdwn  :yeahright :tdwn  :facepalm: :tdwn

Mirror of Souls is a good album tho