Author Topic: Steven Wilson solo career thread - v. The Harmony Codex in 2023!  (Read 61617 times)

Offline Schurftkut

Re: Steven Wilson solo career thread - v. The Harmony Codex in 2023!
« Reply #630 on: August 28, 2023, 12:59:24 PM »
hmmm not feeling this song. the beat is cool and all, but it lacks a certain something?

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #631 on: August 28, 2023, 01:54:50 PM »
Just had a listen to the new single, it's a bit slow, more like an album closer than a lead single.
Didn't hear any real drums either  :biggrin:

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #632 on: August 28, 2023, 05:46:16 PM »
Just had a listen to the new single, it's a bit slow, more like an album closer than a lead single.
Didn't hear any real drums either  :biggrin:

Were there *fake* drums at least? :lol

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #633 on: August 29, 2023, 02:44:25 AM »
Preorders are up, folks. Get in quickly for that deluxe boxset. Nicely priced at £55 (although you get absolutely gouged by Burning Shed for shipping, as usual. Side note: never understood why people hold Burning Shed in such high regard).
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #634 on: August 29, 2023, 03:19:46 AM »
Got my coke bottle clear vinyl, one more for a friend, one CD for a friend and the bluray. Hope I am not too late to get two of those singed prints.

Finally a new SW album  :metal
any rock can be made to roll

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #635 on: August 29, 2023, 03:29:51 AM »
Tracklist (of the Deluxe set):
Disc 1  - THE HARMONY CODEX

1 Inclination (7.15)
2 What Life Brings (3.40)
3 Economies of Scale (4.17)
4 Impossible Tightrope (10.42)
5 Rock Bottom (4.25)
6 Beautiful Scarecrow (5.21)
7 The Harmony Codex (9.50)
8 Time is Running Out (3.57)
9 Actual Brutal Facts (5.05)
10 Staircase (9.26)

Disc 2 -  HARMONIC DISTORTION

1 Codex Theme #7
2 Economies of Scale - Manic Street Preachers remix
3  Codex Theme #9
4  Inclination - Faultline remix
5  Impossible Tightrope - alternate version
6  Codex Theme #6 4
7  Beautiful Scarecrow - Meat Beat Manifesto Excursion 1
8  Codex Theme #8
9  Time is Running Out - Mikael Åkerfeldt version
10 Staircase - Interpol Remix
11 Codex Theme #3
12 What Life Brings - Aug 22 mix by Roland Orzabal
13 The Harmony Codex - long take
14 Staircase - Radiophonic Workshop remix

Disc 3 – THE HARMONY CODEX BluRay

1. HIGH RESOLUTION STEREO (96/24)
2. 5.1 MIX (96/24)
3. ATMOS MIX (48/24)
4. STEREO INSTRUMENTALS (96/24) *
5. 5.1 INSTRUMENTALS (96/24) *
6. ATMOS INSTRUMENTALS (48/24) *

* exclusive to this edition

10 track album in:

1. HIGH RESOLUTION STEREO (96/24)
2. 5.1 MIX (96/24)
3. ATMOS MIX (48/24)

ECONOMIES OF SCALE video (Directed by Charlie Di Placido)
THE HARMONY CODEX video (Directed by Crystal Spotlight/Miles Skarin)

And as for the vinyl edition:
Side A - 15:12
1 Inclination (7.15)
2 What Life Brings (3.40)
3 Economies of Scale (4.17)

Side B - 15:07
4 Impossible Tightrope (10.42)
5 Rock Bottom (4.25)

Side C - 15:11
6 Beautiful Scarecrow (5.21)
7 The Harmony Codex (9.50)

Side D - 18:28
8 Time is Running Out (3.57)
9 Actual Brutal Facts (5.05)
10 Staircase (9.26)

Guess I'm ordering this one. :lol At 63:58, this is his longest solo album since HCE, and his third longest solo album overall. I wasn't expecting over an hour of music! Here's hoping it's a good near 64 minutes!

Preorders are up, folks. Get in quickly for that deluxe boxset. Nicely priced at £55 (although you get absolutely gouged by Burning Shed for shipping, as usual. Side note: never understood why people hold Burning Shed in such high regard).

Huh, when I ordered, it was £45.83 before shipping, and even after shipping and using the cheapest shipping option (insurance and signed-for delivery), it ended up being just £61.21 (or $80.40 USD). Still a bit steep but not the most I've paid for a SW Deluxe set.

Also, looks like another song will be released next week:
Next week something completely different, the mostly instrumental 11 minute hybrid of progressive rock, spiritual jazz and electronica that is Impossible Tightrope. I couldn’t be prouder of this album and I think you are going to enjoy it too!

-Marc.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2023, 04:07:15 AM by The Letter M »
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #636 on: August 29, 2023, 04:50:52 AM »

Huh, when I ordered, it was £45.83 before shipping, and even after shipping and using the cheapest shipping option (insurance and signed-for delivery), it ended up being just £61.21 (or $80.40 USD). Still a bit steep but not the most I've paid for a SW Deluxe set.

Also, looks like another song will be released next week:
Next week something completely different, the mostly instrumental 11 minute hybrid of progressive rock, spiritual jazz and electronica that is Impossible Tightrope. I couldn’t be prouder of this album and I think you are going to enjoy it too!

-Marc.

That's because you are outside the UK/EU and are not paying the 20% tax that NBN is coughing up.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #637 on: August 29, 2023, 05:20:56 AM »
Just listened to Economies and yea, I don't really care for it. Sounds like it could've been left over from Future Bites.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #638 on: August 29, 2023, 05:34:23 AM »
I’ve heard portions of 1-2 seconds of Economies and the other single that’s due to release next week. Not enough to really get a feel for it. I’m trying to stay away from singles until the album drops but I’m already having a hard time.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline faizoff

« Reply #639 on: August 29, 2023, 07:39:36 AM »

-Marc.

Burning Shed shipping was kinda reasonable I guess with the $20 option. Plus they had the deluxe set a bit cheaper than SW's site making the whole thing $80.
Never ordered a deluxe set for any of SW's albums before. Always just got the standard Bluray.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #640 on: August 29, 2023, 07:44:43 AM »
Just listened to Economies and yea, I don't really care for it. Sounds like it could've been left over from Future Bites.

It could have, though I think the quality's a step up. The vocal layering in the second half was excellent.
Sounds like this will be a pretty varied album from how he's describing it, so I'm interested. It does sound like most of it will have an electronic foundation though.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #641 on: August 29, 2023, 07:44:57 AM »
gotta say, i'm really digging the vibes on this one. the way the instruments blend together and the way his vocals just flow along, it's all pretty darn captivating. not gonna lie, i've had it on repeat since it dropped. if the rest of the upcoming album is anything like this, then i think we're in for a real treat. cheers!  :yarr :metal
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #642 on: August 29, 2023, 08:03:48 AM »

-Marc.

Burning Shed shipping was kinda reasonable I guess with the $20 option. Plus they had the deluxe set a bit cheaper than SW's site making the whole thing $80.
Never ordered a deluxe set for any of SW's albums before. Always just got the standard Bluray.

Yeah I saw what he was changing at his own store and I'm glad I went with Burning Shed. They're pretty impeccable too. I ordered the In Absentia Deluxe re-releaae and it arrived with a dent on the back cover, so they sent a whole other large Deluxe artbook (sans discs) at no extra charge. Great service!

As for other SW Deluxe sets, IIRC, I've gotten HCE and TFB from his solo stuff, and Anesthetize and the IA and Deadwing re-issues from PT. They're large, gorgeous artbooks with amazing art and photos.

-Marc.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #643 on: August 29, 2023, 08:20:52 AM »
Anesthetize had a large artbook? Didn't know that I think I have just the regular version. Only deluxe PT edition I have is the C/C one which is pretty good.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #644 on: August 29, 2023, 08:22:06 AM »
(WRT Marc's post) Wow. That is totally different to my experience of them. Horrible, stuck-up company. In fact, I dislike them so much, I've cancelled my pre-order and gone through the official store instead.

As for The Harmony Codex, he's all over social media saying he wants people to view it as a piece of musical cinema, from start to finish, and yet he's releasing tracks out of context which I think is a real shame. Given the whole idea of aural cinema, I'm not going to listen to any of it before release. I'll wait for the Atmos mix.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2023, 08:30:48 AM by nobloodyname »
Paul
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #645 on: August 29, 2023, 08:25:26 AM »
"Live shows have yet to be announced, with Wilson planning a series of residencies in intimate venues, rather than a traditional tour. “I’d like to take the immersive aspect into the live situation and play smaller rooms, maybe 600-capacity,” said Wilson. “I’d install an amazing spatial audio system, then somehow have the audience be inside the band, with light installations and projections. I’d like to create an environment for a performance to take place in.”"

Wow!

From this article: https://www.nme.com/news/music/steven-wilson-interview-harmony-codex-economies-scale-manic-street-preachers-porcupine-tree-3490247

Another passage:

""I’ve tried, but I just can’t do it. Early on in Porcupine Tree, we were signed to Atlantic in America. We were pressured to try to write a grunge radio anthem. I did it, but I felt so dirty. The audience saw through it too.""

Anyone know what song he's referring to?
Paul
Leicestershire, UK

Offline faizoff

« Reply #646 on: August 29, 2023, 08:28:00 AM »
I've had the same experience as Marc with Burning Shed. I don't really order much from them, but the few times I have, had no issues. I once didn't get a disc from them and they sent the replacement right away.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #647 on: August 29, 2023, 09:16:01 AM »
I thought the new single was fine but unexciting.  I imagine it's better within the context of the whole album.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #648 on: August 29, 2023, 09:17:13 AM »
"Live shows have yet to be announced, with Wilson planning a series of residencies in intimate venues, rather than a traditional tour. “I’d like to take the immersive aspect into the live situation and play smaller rooms, maybe 600-capacity,” said Wilson. “I’d install an amazing spatial audio system, then somehow have the audience be inside the band, with light installations and projections. I’d like to create an environment for a performance to take place in.”"

Wow!

From this article: https://www.nme.com/news/music/steven-wilson-interview-harmony-codex-economies-scale-manic-street-preachers-porcupine-tree-3490247

Another passage:

""I’ve tried, but I just can’t do it. Early on in Porcupine Tree, we were signed to Atlantic in America. We were pressured to try to write a grunge radio anthem. I did it, but I felt so dirty. The audience saw through it too.""

In the past, he’s hinted that Shallow was the culprit. But personally I think that song is badass.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #649 on: August 29, 2023, 09:36:56 AM »
Anesthetize had a large artbook? Didn't know that I think I have just the regular version. Only deluxe PT edition I have is the C/C one which is pretty good.

https://www.discogs.com/release/4254603-Porcupine-Tree-Anesthetize-Live-In-Tilburg-Oct-2008

It's a *thick* hardcover, cloth-bound book with only 5000 copies, 4000 with the grey cover (in the link), which is the one I have. Includes four discs, DVD, BD, and 2CD of the show.

(WRT Marc's post) Wow. That is totally different to my experience of them. Horrible, stuck-up company. In fact, I dislike them so much, I've cancelled my pre-order and gone through the official store instead.

As for The Harmony Codex, he's all over social media saying he wants people to view it as a piece of musical cinema, from start to finish, and yet he's releasing tracks out of context which I think is a real shame. Given the whole idea of aural cinema, I'm not going to listen to any of it before release. I'll wait for the Atmos mix.

Sorry to hear that. I guess I've been lucky? Then again, I've also rarely had issues with Neal Morse's Radiant Records but everyone else seems to be fed up with them.  :lol

As for the album experience, given that it's about a month from release, I think I can probably get by with listening to the "singles" once and then wait for the whole thing. Don't want to over-do it on the spins so the whole album is fresh when it comes out.

And speaking of its release, perhaps we can get the thread title updated to reflect the album's release date, now that the pre-orders are up?

-Marc.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #650 on: August 29, 2023, 09:53:11 AM »

Wow!

Another passage:

In the past, he’s hinted that Shallow was the culprit. But personally I think that song is badass.

"Shallow" is a phenomenal song.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #651 on: August 29, 2023, 09:53:22 AM »
I thought the new single was fine but unexciting.  I imagine it's better within the context of the whole album.

as someone who enjoyed the single, i think i agree with you. feeling excited for what's to come with this one, now!
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline faizoff

« Reply #652 on: August 29, 2023, 10:00:15 AM »

https://www.discogs.com/release/4254603-Porcupine-Tree-Anesthetize-Live-In-Tilburg-Oct-2008

It's a *thick* hardcover, cloth-bound book with only 5000 copies, 4000 with the grey cover (in the link), which is the one I have. Includes four discs, DVD, BD, and 2CD of the show.

-Marc.

I recall that now. I remember it was I think the beginning of the special and deluxe edition phase of everything.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #653 on: August 29, 2023, 10:25:09 AM »

-Marc.

I recall that now. I remember it was I think the beginning of the special and deluxe edition phase of everything.

You're probably right to have felt that way because I think nearly every SW release (solo and with a band) since then has had some sort of over-sized deluxe edition set. I don't own all of them, but I'm happy with the ones I do have! I also forgot about the Closure / Continuation deluxe set that I got last year as well!

-Marc.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #654 on: August 29, 2023, 11:25:55 AM »
Were the signed prints listed separately as bundles? Or did the option popped up once you had a couple of items purchased? I went online at 630am but couldn't find the signed print option anymore.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #655 on: August 29, 2023, 01:10:34 PM »
Were the signed prints listed separately as bundles? Or did the option popped up once you had a couple of items purchased? I went online at 630am but couldn't find the signed print option anymore.

They were only offered as part of any of the bundled deals in the official store.

Edit: just checked and can confirm they're gone now.
Paul
Leicestershire, UK

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #656 on: August 29, 2023, 01:14:31 PM »

They were only offered as part of any of the bundled deals in the official store.

Edit: just checked and can confirm they're gone now.

Thanks. Shit, must of gone pretty fast since I logged in at 630am. Managed to get the boxset with the gray tshirt.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #657 on: August 29, 2023, 01:55:58 PM »

What is exactly is your beef with BS?
How are they horrible and stuck up?
I've never had any issues with them and shipping anything to AU from England is expensive.

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #658 on: August 29, 2023, 02:01:19 PM »
Preordered the deluxe set.... hope it's worth it

Offline Kocak

« Reply #659 on: August 29, 2023, 02:12:36 PM »
I thought there were going to be no singles for this album. He had said as much in earlier interviews.

Offline Kram

« Reply #660 on: August 29, 2023, 03:02:09 PM »
I thought there were going to be no singles for this album. He had said as much in earlier interviews.
That's what I thought too. I listed to Economies of Scale, and well was less than impressed. But as others have mentioned, it could very well play better in context of the album. I think I'll hold off on listening to next weeks single (though the description sounds more up my alley), and just wait for the album to be released. Hopefully these are the only two singles he's releasing prior to the album dropping.

Offline Kram

« Reply #661 on: August 29, 2023, 03:08:39 PM »
From the article nobloodyname posted above -

"Other guests on ‘The Harmony Codex’ include Interpol drummer Sam Fogarino, Jack Dangers of dance/hip-hop veterans Meat Beat Manifesto, Kneebody drummer Nate Wood plus longtime Wilson associates Ninet Tayeb, Craig Blundell and Adam Holzman."

So it looks like he's confirmed there are some actual drummers on the album.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #662 on: August 29, 2023, 04:09:52 PM »
From the article nobloodyname posted above -

"Other guests on ‘The Harmony Codex’ include Interpol drummer Sam Fogarino, Jack Dangers of dance/hip-hop veterans Meat Beat Manifesto, Kneebody drummer Nate Wood plus longtime Wilson associates Ninet Tayeb, Craig Blundell and Adam Holzman."

So it looks like he's confirmed there are some actual drummers on the album.

Ninja'd, I was just gonna post this. This shapes up to be one of those "Steely Dan albums" by SW again, with a lot of guests and collaborations. Where you could think that he wrote a song and then wondered "who could be the best guy possible to play drums on this?"  :tup After The Future Bites, where he did a lot on his own, I think this is VERY good news!
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #663 on: August 29, 2023, 04:59:07 PM »

Wow!

Another passage:

Oh, no wonder that song shows up in various post-grunge radio playlists that I listen to on Spotify at times.  I do like that song as well.

As for the Economies of Scale, this is going to be one of these artistic dance kind of songs isn't it?

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Your sloth is in another castle
« Reply #664 on: August 29, 2023, 05:38:20 PM »
I’m avoiding any singles until the album comes out. But I also preordered the box set, so we’ll see if that was a good decision.