Author Topic: Van Halen Thread v. Where Have All The Good Times Gone  (Read 60538 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Van Halen Thread--Live at Tokyo Dome and New Remasters Spring 2015
« Reply #420 on: February 06, 2015, 04:00:17 PM »
Just a live album? :lol :lol :lol :lol  Does VH think it is still 1986? 

Not like I'd buy a live DVD/Blu-ray anyway, since I'll never give EVH money again.

And all of those albums sound great already; they don't need remasters.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #421 on: February 06, 2015, 05:54:10 PM »
I bought the last remasters and they sound good.  I wonder if there will be any bonus tracks on these ones; if not, I don't really see a point in getting them.

I will get the live album for sure though.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #422 on: February 06, 2015, 06:56:52 PM »
I'd be far more interested in some older live video...........recentlysome stuff popped up on Youtube (since deleted) of very clear video from the 1979 tour , which is extremely rare , and just for once Roth was tearing it up , getting the words right and hitting all the screams etc.......amazing stuff.   That's what I'd be interested in..........just wish I'd captured that Youtube stuff before it vanished.

I'm the biggest VH fan going but I'm only semi-interested in this. 
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #423 on: February 06, 2015, 08:44:12 PM »
I'd be interested if it was a live DVD, but not a live CD. I never listen to them, because then I'd rather just listen to studio albums. I want to see it.

None of the Roth era albums need remasters, as they early 2000s remasters are perfect. The first two Hagar era albums are in desperate need of remasters though. OU812 sounds awful on CD.

And give us a new studio album already! ADKOT was a great comeback album that I still listen to regularly.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #424 on: February 06, 2015, 09:39:38 PM »
I have always felt that David Lee Roth...in his prime...was the single greatest "frontman" in the history of rock-n-roll.   Period. 

Today, he is more of a caricature of what he once was...a pale shadow of his former self.    But wow...that guy was *the man* from 78-83....and maybe even for the earlier portion of his solo career.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #425 on: February 06, 2015, 09:59:22 PM »
Concerning the remasters, if they are just the same booklets, same tracklist with no bonus tracks or anything, then I don't see the sense of getting it again. Because like you guys said, the 2000 remasters already sound good.

Also, I don't know if you guys saw the artwork for the album, but  :-\

OU812 sounds awful on CD.
I really want to know what that album sounds like with bass  :lol
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #426 on: February 06, 2015, 10:05:10 PM »
OU812 sounds awful on CD.
I really want to know what that album sounds like with bass  :lol

I KNOW RIGHT? It's the only bad sounding VH album, production-wise. Hopefully a better transfer and remaster could help a bit, but it doesn't seem like it will happen while the Roth lineup is active.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #427 on: February 09, 2015, 05:37:24 AM »
It's the only bad sounding VH album, production-wise. Hopefully a better transfer and remaster could help a bit, but it doesn't seem like it will happen while the Roth lineup is active.

*cough* *cough* VH3 *cough* *cough*

Aside from the musical quality that one sounds like a garage demo.

And I really don't know why they aren't able to put out new music, a live album is kinda nice and maybe I will even get it, but it's no way to retain any kind of momentum after their comeback with ADKOT.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #428 on: February 09, 2015, 05:39:11 AM »
It's the only bad sounding VH album, production-wise. Hopefully a better transfer and remaster could help a bit, but it doesn't seem like it will happen while the Roth lineup is active.

*cough* *cough* VH3 *cough* *cough*

Aside from the musical quality that one sounds like a garage demo.

And I really don't know why they aren't able to put out new music, a live album is kinda nice and maybe I will even get it, but it's no way to retain any kind of momentum after their comeback with ADKOT.

I don't even count VH3. :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #429 on: February 09, 2015, 06:20:48 AM »
I never liked the sound on F.U.C.K.

Balance sound fantastic though.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #430 on: February 09, 2015, 06:48:13 AM »
Easy on the tone, dude. 
???  No.

And he has a band outside of Van Halen.  He's in Mark Tremonti's solo band.
He should stick with that.

Besides, my beef is with Eddie, anyway.  At one time, VH was my favorite band, but he has become such a boneheaded prick that I can't stand them anymore.  I still listen to the old stuff every once in a while, but they have become less and less relevant to me.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #431 on: February 09, 2015, 08:55:39 AM »
Will the remasters have the guitar in stereo? I can't stand listening on headphones with the guitar in only one ear.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #432 on: February 09, 2015, 08:56:01 AM »
That would be remixing, which would be heresy.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #433 on: February 11, 2015, 03:08:24 PM »
Will the remasters have the guitar in stereo? I can't stand listening on headphones with the guitar in only one ear.
I wish. I hate that too.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #434 on: February 12, 2015, 03:15:42 AM »

This is what gives especially the early albums a live feeling and a somewhat rawer sound, and you can clearly hear where Eddie overdubbed his parts. In short: this is essential for the sound, so don't touch it !!!!!
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
Re: Van Halen Thread--Summer 2015 Tour/Jimmy Kimmel Performance
« Reply #435 on: March 24, 2015, 03:24:03 PM »
The Van Halen camp has been busy recently.

Eddie gave his talk at the Smithsonian:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuddpdSVh8I

Nothing really new or interesting here, but I thought it was cool to hear him talk for an hour. My favorite response was when asked which musician who has passed away would you love to play with, and he said his father. I thought that was cool.

And now they have announced new tour dates with the Kenny Wayne Shepard Band. The Press release can be found below, and they will be appearing on Jimmy Kimmel at the end of the month. It's too bad they are skipping Minnesota--would have love to have seen them again--not DLR, but the musicians because they were on fire last time around.

https://www.van-halen.com/vhtour2015.html
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #436 on: March 24, 2015, 04:24:40 PM »
Too bad Im leaving LA on the 28th... but they are playing by me in NJ on a Sunday evening... I may be going to that.  I have only seen them once when they did the Sammy reunion tour some years ago.  I had fun, and I would have gone to see them again if the times and ticket prices worked out.  Ticket prices are usually cheaper for lawn seats at an amphitheater compared to any arena seat so it might not be bad.  PLus livenation lost a law suit that has awarded me one free ticket that I have been saving to use, this may be my chance, otherwise I was thinking of using it on Def Leppard.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #437 on: March 24, 2015, 09:28:12 PM »
They toured with KWS on the VHIII tour.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #438 on: March 24, 2015, 09:36:41 PM »
They toured with KWS on the VHIII tour.

Indeed they did. I saw that tour in Raleigh, NC. Good show. :)
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #439 on: March 24, 2015, 09:50:00 PM »
Van Halen are my all time favourite band and I literally have a room in my house full of memorabilia , but I can't help but think that appearing on live TV at this point (and this new live album) are a big mistake.   I finally had my chance to see them with Roth last year together with Aerosmith and - it pains me to say - Aerosmith blew them off the stage.  And Roth was close to embarrassing with his gum chewing, screeching and old Uncle Dave dance moves.

I'm the first to admit.....DLR has the hardest gig in rock - trying to pull off their party rock from the 78-84 period at around 60 yo. And that's without taking into account his vocal limitations.

It's a miracle that they produced something as good as ADKOT and , as far as I'm concerned , the best that VH fans can hope for (and perhaps the band's best hope of making the best of it going forward) is:

1) Start digging into the vaults and release some of those old demos officially (like "Zero") ,
2) As above but with live footage.  I've seen great quality footage from'79 where Roth is not only remembering the fucking words but is nailing every single note - one of the best live performances I've ever seen. And from a guy who ,let's face it , isn't renowned for his vocal abilities.
3) Perhaps in the studio environment , one last album is a possibility.

I won't be listening to the new live album or chasing down TV footage.  I'd rather remember them as the greats they were.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #440 on: March 24, 2015, 11:13:08 PM »
Its a shame that they haven't released a live dvd or cd from a late 70's/early 80s show.  I cant imagine that there haven't been at least a few professionally recorded.

And Brent, do you know how many DLR era demos/b-sides are out there.  That would be a must buy

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #441 on: March 25, 2015, 12:04:44 AM »
I've always had the collectors bug jj but bootlegs are something I've never really gone crazy on as it's just a bottomless pit.  I preferred to get a hold of rare physical items - some dude has a t-shirt I own up on eBay for $1000  :lol

I do have something around which was a pressed CD (4 disc set) put together by someone on vhlinks back in the 90's which is supposed a be a collection of the best unreleased material.  It's called Loonie Toons Merrie Melodies: The Unreleased and pops up on Ebay from time to time at high prices.  I believe I have that somewhere.

If you don't have the "Zero" (1976 Simmons demos) album then that's definitely worth having...many of those songs (including the recent single She's The Woman) have popped up in modified form on future albums .  I'm happy to put it up on the cloud for you to download if you wish.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #442 on: March 25, 2015, 01:16:43 AM »
Thanks Brent but I see its on YouTube I'll check it out there

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #443 on: March 25, 2015, 06:14:22 AM »
Regarding old VH bootlegs, unfortunately there are quite a few of them but a great quality one is a rare thing.

Also, seems every other band from Heavy Metal Day at the US Festival has released their show. I know the VH has been widely traded in bootleg circles, but why the hell can we not get a professionally cleaned up version?

I'm the first to admit.....DLR has the hardest gig in rock - trying to pull off their party rock from the 78-84 period at around 60 yo. And that's without taking into account his vocal limitations.
I saw him in a club in 1994 and thought he was over the hill then. :lol

Without a new album these tours are just a cash grab. That's how I feel. How freaking hard is it to make a new album? You mean that Eddie can't come up with an hour's worth of tunes?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 06:29:04 AM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Deathless

« Reply #444 on: March 25, 2015, 08:18:46 AM »
Regarding old VH bootlegs, unfortunately there are quite a few of them but a great quality one is a rare thing.

Also, seems every other band from Heavy Metal Day at the US Festival has released their show. I know the VH has been widely traded in bootleg circles, but why the hell can we not get a professionally cleaned up version?

I saw him in a club in 1994 and thought he was over the hill then. :lol

Without a new album these tours are just a cash grab. That's how I feel. How freaking hard is it to make a new album? You mean that Eddie can't come up with an hour's worth of tunes?

Supposedly last year they were writing music in Eddie's studio. I remember Mark Tremonti said he was there in the studio with them or heard it (one or the other lol).

When Eddie gave his talk at the Smithsonian he was asked about new music and he made the remark along the lines of "I don't know where Dave is, is he in California or Japan?". Like... no communication?

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #445 on: April 01, 2015, 05:45:46 AM »
I have always been a Van Halen fan. I still love their music. However if I was to consider buying a ticket to see the upcoming tour that changed after seeing them perform on Jimmy Kimmel. The band sounded great but David Lee Roth sounds absolutely awful! If that's the best he can muster at this point its time to him to go out to pasture. Embarrassing bad. My advise to the Van Halen boys...if you want to keep going patch things up with Sammy Hagar and bring back the guy who can still do justice to the bands music. Sorry Sammy haters but at least the guy can still sing.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #446 on: April 01, 2015, 06:07:17 AM »
Yea, I personally would love to see Sammy with VH again.  I fell asleep before the performance last night so I missed it.  I guess ill find it on youtube.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #447 on: April 01, 2015, 06:15:12 AM »
Yea, I personally would love to see Sammy with VH again.  I fell asleep before the performance last night so I missed it.  I guess ill find it on youtube.
I love both guys but I would never spend money to see them with DLR. Just beyond awful at this point sad actually. At least he is in tip top shape physically so he has that going for him but he can't sing at all! I'm 50 and still singing and I like to think I'm better and more mature now. He is just shot.

Check it out for yourself Cram, its easy to find. He also looking bitching with the breathe right strip across his nose from hitting himself with the mic stand before they went on. lol

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #448 on: April 01, 2015, 06:18:19 AM »
I'm not even going to bother looking up the performance. While I enjoyed seeing the band live three years ago, it's been obvious for years that DLR can't sing anymore.

I will say that I'd be interested in seeing VH with Sammy again, provided that Eddie continued to keep himself in good health. I'd be pissed if I saw that line-up perform anywhere near the lows they did during the 2004 tour.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #449 on: April 01, 2015, 06:20:36 AM »
I'm not even going to bother looking up the performance. While I enjoyed seeing the band live three years ago, it's been obvious for years that DLR can't sing anymore.

I will say that I'd be interested in seeing VH with Sammy again, provided that Eddie continued to keep himself in good health. I'd be pissed if I saw that line-up perform anywhere near the lows they did during the 2004 tour.
Eddie actually looks very healthy. Best Ive seen him look in years.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #450 on: April 01, 2015, 06:27:19 AM »
I plan on seeing them this summer, not for DLR specifically, but for the band as a whole.  I've never seen them with DLR so I'd like to see all those older songs and whatnot.  The tickets are cheap for lawn seats too so I don't feel like Im wasting money even if its not a good show.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #451 on: April 01, 2015, 06:33:31 AM »

Eddie actually looks very healthy. Best Ive seen him look in years.

Yeah, I know that and completely agree. But I'd hate for him to fall back into his old addictions.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #452 on: April 01, 2015, 08:31:40 AM »
I have always been a Van Halen fan. I still love their music. However if I was to consider buying a ticket to see the upcoming tour that changed after seeing them perform on Jimmy Kimmel. The band sounded great but David Lee Roth sounds absolutely awful! If that's the best he can muster at this point its time to him to go out to pasture. Embarrassing bad. My advise to the Van Halen boys...if you want to keep going patch things up with Sammy Hagar and bring back the guy who can still do justice to the bands music. Sorry Sammy haters but at least the guy can still sing.
If they brought back Sammy and Michael Anthony, I'm there.

Especially since I doubt Sammy would even come back without MA.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #453 on: April 01, 2015, 09:26:13 AM »
Not me.  That 2004 tour was boring and no chemistry on stage.  I paid stupid money for balcony tickets and they were face value.  Not worth it anymore for me.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #454 on: April 02, 2015, 08:54:23 PM »
EVH is on my list of musicians I will never give another cent to, so I wouldn't go see them again under any circumstances.