Author Topic: Top Of The World Tour 2023  (Read 70734 times)

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Top Of The World Tour 2023
« Reply #770 on: February 24, 2023, 09:32:33 PM »
I'm kind of surprised too. I've definitely been critical of James in the past and I've heard a few mistakes live here and there but really it's the entire band, not just the James show.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #771 on: February 25, 2023, 10:17:39 AM »
I apologize, I probably don't know the correct definition of "naff". I guess I should have used "meh" instead. James does sound good still on some songs but just overall nothing to get too excited about. Seeing the band play is always great IF YOU CAN HEAR THEM properly mixed and at a non-ludicrous volume.

Offline Kram

« Reply #772 on: February 25, 2023, 10:23:29 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myMR0Bl3_eY

This is one of my favourite YT videos of theirs - it was uploaded 15 years ago, and it's about an Italian gig in 2006 where they performed About to crash/Losing Time.
My point here is that when JLB was on, he did improve dramatically the overall performance of the band.
And so if someone is not keen to spend the quite huge amount of money that a DT concert costs nowadays because he feels something is missing, I can understand him.
WOW!!  What a performance by James.  He absolutely crushed it there.  It's when I see performances like this that I'm reminded he is one of my all time favorite singers.  :hefdaddy

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #773 on: February 26, 2023, 01:23:29 AM »
Yeah, great performance from a long time ago.

As a general point, comments on James' performance on this tour are appropriate and valid.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2023, 01:30:27 AM by DoctorAction »
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #774 on: February 26, 2023, 04:19:46 AM »

It was just an example.
In all fairness, James has had great, consistent, performances up to the self titled tour cycle, which was not that long ago.

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #775 on: February 26, 2023, 06:29:22 AM »
It is understandable, really, but's it's kind of a shame that the whole tour is dominated by LaBrie's vocal abilities. There is so much more in the band to envy and adore. And although I understand one being disappointed about LaBrie, I have missed way too much in the past - without me knowing about Dream Theater - to ever miss a tour again. I would continue to go, even if LaBrie can't get a single note correct.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #776 on: February 26, 2023, 07:22:27 AM »

It was just an example.
In all fairness, James has had great, consistent, performances up to the self titled tour cycle, which was not that long ago.

He has had good performances before. But in all fairness, he's also had more than his fair share of inconsistent not-great ones too. What differentiates the View tour is that there appear to be only the latter.

• PR permission
« Reply #777 on: February 26, 2023, 07:32:11 AM »
It is understandable, really, but's it's kind of a shame that the whole tour is dominated by LaBrie's vocal abilities. There is so much more in the band to envy and adore. And although I understand one being disappointed about LaBrie, I have missed way too much in the past - without me knowing about Dream Theater - to ever miss a tour again. I would continue to go, even if LaBrie can't get a single note correct.

Feel you on this...though I do feel like there could be a point where the band has to do something whether it be reducing his time by inserting more instrumental tracks into the set, resuming the backing vocal track, etc. I think it'll all depend on how much rumbling there is in the fan base.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #778 on: February 26, 2023, 08:54:37 AM »

It was just an example.

He has had good performances before. But in all fairness, he's also had more than his fair share of inconsistent not-great ones too. What differentiates the View tour is that there appear to be only the latter.
I disagree with this. I saw 3 shows on this tour. The first show about a week into the US tour and the last was one of the last shows here. The first one wasn't perfect, but not crappy at all. And the last one was great! Am I a fan-girl? Ya, so. But I am a pianist and can hear the flat notes. There aren't many at all. Does he sound like a young James? No. But neither do several other old rockers I have seen live. It really has no effect on my enjoyment of the show. If he sucked for most of it, ya, sure. But he doesn't. Some may be unable to enjoy the few moments that aren't perfect, but most do. And did this tour. I take various people to the show - my son can be critical of James - and he thought it was great.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #779 on: February 26, 2023, 08:55:23 AM »

I am in the same boat and agree wholeheartedly.

• PR permission
« Reply #780 on: February 26, 2023, 09:29:13 AM »

It was just an example.

I disagree with this. I saw 3 shows on this tour. The first show about a week into the US tour and the last was one of the last shows here. The first one wasn't perfect, but not crappy at all. And the last one was great! Am I a fan-girl? Ya, so. But I am a pianist and can hear the flat notes. There aren't many at all. Does he sound like a young James? No. But neither do several other old rockers I have seen live. It really has no effect on my enjoyment of the show. If he sucked for most of it, ya, sure. But he doesn't. Some may be unable to enjoy the few moments that aren't perfect, but most do. And did this tour. I take various people to the show - my son can be critical of James - and he thought it was great.

The bold explains a lot of your post then if so many other DT fans are hearing a lot of missed notes, no? Which show in particular did he sound great at? I want to hear him sound great as much as anyone else. It would enhance my enjoyment of the songs and I think a lot of currently disappointed fans would feel better knowing that he still has it in him somewhere.

Btw, I am not complaining we aren't hearing 1990s JLB. I think his voice now is much better suited to the band's present sound. I prefer what he is doing now vs. what he did on Awake, for example. The studio recordings are fine, imo. I've mentioned in previous posts I've taken a much more 'is what it is' approach to the shows, but that doesn't mean I can unhear incorrect pitches , inaudible words and general unevenness. It's great that you enjoyed the shows (so did I) and I am not trying to convince anyone that s/he should be displeased but the live setting can distort perception and the senses due to a number of factors including the sheer volume, exuberance, excitement in the venue, etc. When we go back to the recording, it allows us to more soberly listen to what actually occurred. Have you ever had the experience of seeing a show and thinking X happened in the moment, but then watched a recording the next day only to realize it didn't really happen the way you initially felt?

As a fan, I appreciate being sanguine about what is a deteriorating condition but I think those who are unhappy about the performances have valid reason. The band sounds nearly perfect and age-defying and their already contentious vocalist is struggling to get through basic melodies night after night. It's a tough thing for a lot of fans and not something that loyalty can necessarily address.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #781 on: February 26, 2023, 01:28:38 PM »
Really well put, Barstool.

I'm deeply uncomfortable talking about it. I'm one of those that really care about the lyrics and vocals. I'm not here just for the shredding. James is one on my all time favourite singers. He has a touching quality that is unique. Those "don't leave me now" parts from At Wits End are one of a multitude that I could mention. I absolutely adore his work.

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #782 on: February 26, 2023, 06:55:48 PM »
I respect the opinion of anyone who is turned off by what they hear in a YouTube video after the event, but as far as I am concerned: If I'm blown away in the moment of the live performance and thinks James sounds great, I personally don't care what a cellphone recording on YouTube sounds like later.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2023, 07:18:08 PM by EPIC Outro »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #783 on: February 27, 2023, 09:00:05 AM »
I respect the opinion of anyone who is turned off by what they hear in a YouTube video after the event, but as far as I am concerned: If I'm blown away in the moment of the live performance and thinks James sounds great, I personally don't care what a cellphone recording on YouTube sounds like later.

Yup, if I enjoyed the show in person, no video is going to change that.

Offline gborland

« Reply #784 on: February 27, 2023, 12:32:28 PM »
Poor vocals, poor choice of venue, obscene ticket prices... there is plenty to legitimately criticise about the current tour. I've been a die-hard DT fan since '92, seen them live over 40 times, and I seriously think I will never go to another DT gig.

Graham Borland

Offline Awaken

« Reply #785 on: February 27, 2023, 12:36:11 PM »
Poor vocals, poor choice of venue, obscene ticket prices... there is plenty to legitimately criticise about the current tour. I've been a die-hard DT fan since '92, seen them live over 40 times, and I seriously think I will never go to another DT gig.

I guess I'm just more lax w criticism, IDK, but I've never been to a DT show where I didn't feel like I got more than my money's worth.  I've only seen them 23 times, but literally every show has blown me away - warts and all. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #786 on: February 27, 2023, 12:45:11 PM »

DT tickets can be expensive, but the entire market is jacked up right now.  I'm not sure I'd blame DT too much for how much a concert costs these days, although I think they may be slightly over priced historically for the mid range seats.  I've always been able to find a cheap seat in the back or a very well priced front row seat.  To me, DT's prices start to suck when you are in the middle of the floor seats as you end up paying prices similar to the front, but without as good of a view. 

Poor venue is interesting and given the cancellations during the tour, I do wonder if that is a legit issue.  I'm not sure I've noticed that in the US as they play mostly the same venues in the east coast where I've seen DT almost exclusively. I have read some accounts of playing in too big of a venue in Europe at times though. 

If you can't take JLB in a live setting, then I agree, maybe it's best not to go to the show.  Even as good as the rest of the band is, if the vocals are going to ruin it, it's best not to spend your time and money. I personally have not gotten to this point.  I think AXL Rose is significantly worse live, but people still go crazy to see GNR.  I'm probably similar as a DT fan. (I have little desire to see GNR again)

• PR permission
« Reply #787 on: February 27, 2023, 06:06:13 PM »
The point was not that anyone who enjoyed the show should go home and watch the recording day after so they can feel bad about having a good time.

The point is that with this much of the same criticism of the tour - and quite honestly this is as much as I've ever seen on this forum - if a person is essentially saying there isn't much of an issue at all and this person is a self proclaimed fan-girl, then maybe her perception is distorted.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #788 on: February 27, 2023, 06:14:45 PM »
Honest question.

Is there anyone else his age doing the vocal gymnastics needed for a rock show of this caliber?

• PR permission
« Reply #789 on: February 27, 2023, 06:24:02 PM »
Honest question.

Is there anyone else his age doing the vocal gymnastics needed for a rock show of this caliber?

Who are his peers? That is a tough one to answer given the band's unique style. Is it anyone in Rock? It's a fair point if so because I think a lot of these guys didn't take care of their voices or practice that much. Also, there might not be many progressive metal vocalists in their late 50s.

But either way I wouldn't call DT vocal melodies 'gymnastics'. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #790 on: February 27, 2023, 06:29:38 PM »
Joey Belladonna is almost three years older.
Andi Deris is a year younger
Bruce Dickinson is 5 years older
Rob Halford is 12 years older
John Bush is the same age
Biff Byford is 12 years older (and still sounds amazing!)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2023, 06:48:13 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #791 on: February 27, 2023, 08:26:08 PM »
The point was not that anyone who enjoyed the show should go home and watch the recording day after so they can feel bad about having a good time.

The point is that with this much of the same criticism of the tour - and quite honestly this is as much as I've ever seen on this forum - if a person is essentially saying there isn't much of an issue at all and this person is a self proclaimed fan-girl, then maybe her perception is distorted.

Wow. My perception is distorted because I am a fan and a girl. :\  Some seemed to miss where I said that I am also a classically trained pianist. Frankly, I thought James sang more out of tune when he was young.

And I see this much bitching here about James every tour.

Seems like the complainers aren't fans. I'd rather be a fan than a dud.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #792 on: February 27, 2023, 08:30:49 PM »
Joey Belladonna is almost three years older.
Andi Deris is a year younger
Bruce Dickinson is 5 years older
Rob Halford is 12 years older
John Bush is the same age
Biff Byford is 12 years older (and still sounds amazing!)

You forgot Kiske who is only 4 years younger.  He hasn't had the wear and tear on his voice though like James has.  Eric Adams still going strong too and he's 70!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #793 on: February 27, 2023, 08:31:24 PM »

I guess I'm just more lax w criticism, IDK, but I've never been to a DT show where I didn't feel like I got more than my money's worth.  I've only seen them 23 times, but literally every show has blown me away - warts and all.

Yeah, that's a pretty slack effort mate.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #794 on: February 27, 2023, 08:46:29 PM »

:lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #795 on: February 28, 2023, 01:05:22 AM »

Wow. My perception is distorted because I am a fan and a girl. :\  Some seemed to miss where I said that I am also a classically trained pianist. Frankly, I thought James sang more out of tune when he was young.

I come in peace.

But how "young"? Tell you what, early DT boots are pretty common so why not dig out five shows from the I&W tour and five from the current tour and we'll compare.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline gborland

« Reply #796 on: February 28, 2023, 02:51:19 AM »
Seems like the complainers aren't fans.

That's untrue and unfair. Many complainers, including me, are life-long die-hard fans who are deeply sad about the current state of affairs.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2023, 03:26:39 AM by gborland »
Graham Borland

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #797 on: February 28, 2023, 05:44:22 AM »
Honest question.

I think James' issues are beyond just his vocal cords' health, instead, I believe his overall physical health is affecting his performances on this tour. Granted he is never known as a gym rat like JP or anything like that, but he looks like the bloater from the Last of Us when I saw him last week in London. I am no professional singer, but I know it can be quite hard to properly breathe if your guts are bloating like that. He also appeared to be quite exhausted right off the bat. I mean, he immediately ran for a bottle of water after finishing JUST the first verse of The Alien. IMHO, James needs to start hitting the gym and get slimmer, or else he will find it even harder to sing live in the future.

On a side note, Mangini seemed to have gained quite a lot of weight too, but at least his stamina is intact and I heard no issues with his drumming in London... ok, sometimes he hit the snare a bit too hard needlessly.
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline gborland

« Reply #798 on: February 28, 2023, 05:59:28 AM »
Yeah, Mangini is turning into one of the tubbier tub-thumpers.  ;D
Graham Borland

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #799 on: February 28, 2023, 06:07:25 AM »

With all due respect, get out of here with this garbage.  Being fans doesn't mean we all have to be deaf witnesses. 

Offline Awaken

« Reply #800 on: February 28, 2023, 06:39:53 AM »

:lol

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #801 on: February 28, 2023, 08:27:58 AM »
Ya, I'll be done here. Never much of a warm welcome anyway, save Bosk. Everyone is quite polite to disagreement with others if you've been here for eons or are a guy. The James bashing is awful. It doesn't sound like fans, it sounds shitty. See you at the shows, where I will be standing and supporting the bad.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #802 on: February 28, 2023, 09:37:08 AM »
I'm on the fence about debating LaBrie's voice. The discussion has been relentless over the previous month and a half and it clearly doesn't lead anywhere (neither did it lead anywhere over all the other years James had received criticism, which is forever), but on the other hand, I don't think people shouldn't be able to discuss what's important to them, neither should they need to be told to unconditionally accept something that isn't acceptable to them.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #803 on: February 28, 2023, 10:40:29 AM »

And I see this much bitching here about James every tour.

Yeah...as someone who saw DT several times pre-food poisoning, I find these discussions to be very interesting.  I don't really pay attention to non-official live recordings, and I don't feel like he's any worse than he was in '92-'94.  I've never been to a show where I felt like the vocal performance was lacking, so I'll continue to go until and unless that happens.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #804 on: February 28, 2023, 11:01:00 AM »
The idea that a criticism of a vocal performance is inappropriate, "bashing" or makes you unsupportive of the band or not a fan is absolutely, completely, totally incorrect -and so much so that I'm tempted to pull out many unhelpful words. But I won't.