Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 917559 times)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
You don't wish someone you hate a birthday message lol

I think it's a pretty safe bet that Sammy will be brought back again

Did Sammy really say that he hates Eddie?

I don't think he has ever said that he hates him but his book (which I haven't read) apparently doesn't hold back and he released a Youtube vid a month or two ago where he says "Fuck you Eddie Van Halen" , so at the very least it's a very sudden change in tone between the two.

Whether it leads to anything ...........who knows.  Eddie has very recently had his 5150 Steinberger Trans Trem restored (used for Summer Nights, Get Up etc...)and has indicated that he is ready play those songs again.   I wouldn't be surprised if something happened in the next 12 months , but you never know with these guys.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah who knows if it was actually hatred, that would seem pretty strong. But there was definitely a strong dislike based on what both had been saying about each other. I haven't read Sammys book, but it seems that he doesn't hold back.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
I just wanted to say that I don't believe about 99% of what they both say. Its always like "F*ck you, but I still wish you all the best".

They probably won't become close friends again, if they ever really were. And everything could happen in the future and I wouldn't mind if they work together again.

And I'm really curious how they then would work out the Michael Anthony thing.

Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I just wanted to say that I don't believe about 99% of what they both say. Its always like "F*ck you, but I still wish you all the best".

They probably won't become close friends again, if they ever really were. And everything could happen in the future and I wouldn't mind if they work together again.

And I'm really curious how they then would work out the Michael Anthony thing.

EVH and DLR have only ever tolerated each other , so I don't see that as a huge barrier.  I think they just have to get past everything and agree to work together for mutual benefit.  Plenty of bands do it .

One thing I do have a feeling about is that I reckon EVH might make Sammy accept that their gigs cannot be only Sammy songs and that would open it up for Mike/Wolf to sing the DLR songs.   Wolfy has a solo album due out in coming months and his Facebook profile recently said something like "in Van Halen...........for now".  So perhaps if Sammy and Ed can get past it ,then Mike can too.

Ed has treated a number of people very poorly when he was meth'd out - he seems in good health now so if it's ever going to work (and bearing in mind Sammy is pushing 70) , then now is definitely the time.  Right now   ::)

"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Deathless

Wow, Eddie even tweeted Sammie back. Something happening here?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 07:55:35 AM by Deathless »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Getting interesting indeed.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Kwyjibo

I like how a simple tweet sets the whole Van Halen fanbase on fire.

If John Petrucci would wish Kevin Moore a Happy Birthday, would we interpret that as a sure sign that Kevin's coming back? Ok, we in this forum probably would.  ;)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I like how a simple tweet sets the whole Van Halen fanbase on fire.

I agree it's a stretch but with DLR rumoured to be out/trying to talk the Eat Em And Smile lineup back and all these little pieces of info it adds up to a little bit more than nothing.

The difference between JP and Sammy tweeting is that Sammy/JP would know the effect their tweets are going to have ( a lot/nothing respectively).  If you want to keep it quiet , send a card/make a call.   At the very least this is the guys publically/knowingly putting it out there that some fences have been mended.   

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Kwyjibo

Don't misunderstand me, I'm totally with you and I'm participating in the specualtion and rumors and I also think that something is going on. I just find it funny nonetheless, how we, the fans, take every little bit of information and analyse it to death.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
OK - let's shut up then.  Don't want this to become DT-side  :biggrin:

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
OK - let's shut up then.  Don't want this to become DT-side  :biggrin:

Having just been in DT side, I agree wholeheartedly.

Let's get back to arguing about each other's music!
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
  Don't want this to become DT-side  :biggrin:

But I was thinking that maybe after we've all had the weekend to give The Astonishing a few listens, perhaps we could have a small discussion group here amongst the regulars on Monday or so as opposed to wasting time posting in a sea of posts on the DT Side.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator

But I was thinking that maybe after we've all had the weekend to give The Astonishing a few listens, perhaps we could have a small discussion group here amongst the regulars on Monday or so as opposed to wasting time posting in a sea of posts on the DT Side.

I'm down with that.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I live inside this thread so that sounds good to me!

I get lost many times in the sea of posts on the DT side lol.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

All good - I was just referring to analysing every morsel of info to death.  Having listened to it once myself ,I will be interested to see how much the group here differ in their views on the new DT from the "proggy style" crowd.   It could be quite a lot................or not.  :)   I am about to have a second go , but at this point I am pretty sure that it's (mostly) not my cuppa tea.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I've really been hoping for an album with piano and James so I'm happy with that.

This album is like if Elton John and King Diamond got together to make an album.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

This album is like if Elton John and King Diamond got together to make an album.

Lucky for DT you're not marketing it.  ;D

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Lucky for DT you're not marketing it.  ;D

:lol

I have a never ending quest to turn people onto Dream Theater.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator

All good - I was just referring to analysing every morsel of info to death.  Having listened to it once myself ,I will be interested to see how much the group here differ in their views on the new DT from the "proggy style" crowd.   It could be quite a lot................or not.  :)   I am about to have a second go , but at this point I am pretty sure that it's (mostly) not my cuppa tea.

yeah, I only got up to the end of disc 1 before Bandcamp took the page down.  Definitely a lot to digest, and it's definitely not ToT-heavy.  Not surprising to hear it's not in your wheelhouse.  I'll be interested on JJ's take too.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
It's not sounding like it will be a go to Dream Theater album

Is it slower/mid tempo for the most part?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
It's not sounding like it will be a go to Dream Theater album

Is it slower/mid tempo for the most part?

I would say yes.........and , as far as my taste goes, very few "self contained" songs that stand on their own outside of the story  - maybe 4 or 5 out of 34 tracks that I am interested in returning to for an individual listen at this point.  I can't see it being of much interest unless you're prepared to get invested in the characters and the story........and for me, I'll only bother with that if the music drags me in.  That might seem back to front for some , but that's how it is with me and concept albums.

I'll have another listen this afternoon and post thoughts.  For what is is , I think it's pretty good but "what it is" is a big part of the problem for me - an issue that many here will not have.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
It should be an interesting listen. I can't see myself getting too invested in the storyline or characters though

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm getting a Nostradamus feel from it to be honest.  Interested in hearing it.  Don't know how much dedicated time I'll have over the week to fully absorb it though.  It may sit on the back burner for me for a while.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
This the hard rock / classic metal thread, dangit.  >:( Stick to hard rock / classic metal!
I come to this thread to get far away from that shit. :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
Make me! :biggrin:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
DT related post just to annoy Blob:

I've listened to it twice. So far I think there's a couple of decent things on the first disc but nothing is blowing me away. I remember very little from the second disc though, I think after almost 80 minutes listening to the first I kind of tune the second one out, it's a lot to take in all at once and it doesn't help that both discs lacks variety and everything blurs together a bit. One day I will listen to the second on its own and see what happens.

But yeah, maybe it will grow on me but first impressions are that it's pretty average.

I haven't paid any attention to the story, I could not give any less of a shit about that. :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
On the plus side, I agree with you.

And on the plus side, I still don't think we're allowed to discuss it yet anyway. :P

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
On the plus side I pretty much agree with everything Bolsters said too.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 02:20:35 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Kwyjibo

Primal Fear are one of those bands that were somehow underneath my radar. I'm sure I heard a couple tunes over time but nothing I can recall.

Yesterday I had a good listen of Rulebreaker and that was a great first impression. Maybe the album was one or two songs too long but nonetheless left a mark. Is album representative, better, worse than their back catalogue?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Primal Fear are one of those bands that were somehow underneath my radar. I'm sure I heard a couple tunes over time but nothing I can recall.

Yesterday I had a good listen of Rulebreaker and that was a great first impression. Maybe the album was one or two songs too long but nonetheless left a mark. Is album representative, better, worse than their back catalogue?

Can't comment, but their entire catalog is nothing short of solid.  Check;

Delivering the Black
Devil's Ground
Seven Seals
Nuclear Fire
Black Sun

:metal

In regards to the DT, I have a feeling that I will have the same opinions. 

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
You truly can't go wrong with any album from Primal Fear

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
I've checked out the new Primal Fear and yeah, it's pretty good even if a bit by the numbers. Don't think it's going to beat Delivering the Black in my book, but I enjoyed it. Highlights for me (in order): We Walk Without Fear (aka One Night in December pt. 2 ;D ), Bullets & Tears and The End is Near. There was also a great track somewhere near the end but I don't remember which one because I listened on the road and it was raining (in January. In Moscow. FFS) so I wasn't in the mood to check out the title on my phone.

Solid album overall.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I don't think this will surpass DTB for me.  Gonna order it tonight.  :metal