Author Topic: Your controversial opinions on movies and TV  (Read 29460 times)

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: Your controversial opinions on movies and TV
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2019, 09:59:43 PM »
Shrek 1 and 2 are both unironically better than most of the Disney Renaissance films.

Fisticuffs by the bike racks, 3 PM tomorrow.

:rollin

Offline pg1067

« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2019, 09:58:46 AM »
Richard Dawson > Steve Harvey

There is no world in which this is a controversial opinion.  Are there people who actually think Harvey is better than Dawson was?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2019, 10:42:15 AM »
I am not sure Richard Dawson's quirky creepiness would have permitted him to be employed in any other capacity, but he owned Family Feud. I will say (probably not controversial) that Ray Combs was very good at the helm as well. I have never seen it hosted by anyone else.

In the pitch room, I have no idea how the creators of Friends sold it to NBC. "So it's about 6 New Yorkers living totally unrealistic lives and they are friends, and there are wacky things that happen, and some of them hook up." But somehow it worked. I'll give most of the credit to the writing*, Matthew Perry and David Schwimmer, the two most interesting and funny characters on the show. With an assist to the friendliest time slot of the week.

*You must have a good story otherwise it's just masturbation
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 11:03:55 AM by Cool Chris »
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline pg1067

« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2019, 11:54:40 AM »
I am not sure Richard Dawson's quirky creepiness would have permitted him to be employed in any other capacity, but he owned Family Feud. I will say (probably not controversial) that Ray Combs was very good at the helm as well. I have never seen it hosted by anyone else.

Dawson was also a riot as a panelist on Match Game hosted by Gene Rayburn.  Every once in a while, one or more of the panelists would show up intoxicated or actually drinking on the air.  It was amazing some of the stuff that got past the censors.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2019, 12:10:00 PM »
Those 70s game shows, and the personalities on them, are definitely in a class all their own.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2019, 01:14:40 PM »
Let's hear it for Wink Martindale and Bob Eubanks.  :clap:
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2019, 08:45:32 AM »

There is no world in which this is a controversial opinion.  Are there people who actually think Harvey is better than Dawson was?
Maybe in these circles, but among the masses, Steve Harvey is wildly popular for some reason
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2019, 09:08:33 AM »
The 'Big Bang Theory' is not and was never funny. Ever.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2019, 09:11:31 AM »

I still find it funny, but it evolved well beyond the initial premise. It was meant to be "Street smart girl interacts with bunch of socially awkward nerds", then they akk eventually got families (included the unsufferable know it all that nobody ever seemed to realize has some kind of authism).
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2019, 09:32:42 AM »

I still find it funny, but it evolved well beyond the initial premise. It was meant to be "Street smart girl interacts with bunch of socially awkward nerds", then they akk eventually got families (included the unsufferable know it all that nobody ever seemed to realize has some kind of authism).

I gave it a college try....that being about (5) episodes......and I honestly never experienced one genuine laugh. Maybe I'm just an idiot and it's too high brow for me....but, it never once tickled my funny bone. It felt cheesy and forced and like you could see the punch lines walking down the street before they got there.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2019, 09:55:41 AM »

Maybe in these circles, but among the masses, Steve Harvey is wildly popular for some reason

Not that I watch a ton of Family Feud these days, but Steve Harvey is perfectly fine.  The problem with the current episodes is that the risque level is over the top, whereas it used to be quite subtle.  Harvey does find with what he's given, but the writing is pretty bad.  So, it's not that there's anything wrong with Harvey, it's just that Dawson was great.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2019, 11:58:41 AM »

I gave it a college try....that being about (5) episodes......and I honestly never experienced one genuine laugh. Maybe I'm just an idiot and it's too high brow for me....but, it never once tickled my funny bone. It felt cheesy and forced and like you could see the punch lines walking down the street before they got there.

So you hung out with the jocks and not the nerds when you were in high school. :lol

I like the show.  The hidden geek in me loved it.  Like MASH is got let funny and had more serious tomes to it towards the end but that's what happens when characters evolve.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2019, 12:13:19 PM »
I'll always remembers one of the jokes from early seasons, possibly the first; they were making a pop culture quiz and the guys couldn't answer anything, Leonard in exasperation quipped to Penny "how come do you know all these things?" and she yelled "I GO OUTSIDE AND I TALK TO PEOPLE"  :lol
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2019, 08:00:44 PM »

No kidding. A guy at work a few years ago begged me to watch it. I literally couldn't get 10 minutes in. So fucking stupid....

which leads me to this..

I literally have not watched or followed a TV series in 25 years. The only exception was House briefly, which came on right after American Idol which my wife and I watched together for a couple of seasons.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2019, 08:02:35 PM »
I am in agreement about Big Bang Theory. I tried watching it a few times and it was never funny.  I never laughed a single time.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2019, 08:15:36 PM »
I have never seen a single episode of:

Game Of Thrones
The Sopranos
Breaking Bad
Better Call Saul
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2019, 08:47:12 PM »

No kidding. A guy at work a few years ago begged me to watch it. I literally couldn't get 10 minutes in. So fucking stupid....

which leads me to this..

I literally have not watched or followed a TV series in 25 years. The only exception was House briefly, which came on right after American Idol which my wife and I watched together for a couple of seasons.

So if that is the case, why does your opinion matter?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2019, 08:53:23 PM »

Game Of Thrones
The Sopranos
Breaking Bad
Better Call Saul

Those are literally 4 of the best shows of all time. Fix yourself. Jeezus. Stop bragging and start watching. Srong witchu.  :lol :lol :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2019, 08:54:38 PM »
I wouldn't put Better Call Saul in that "best shows of all time" category, but the other three I would for sure.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2019, 08:55:44 PM »
I literally have not watched or followed a TV series in 25 years.

The last series I followed regularly was NCIS. Mrs. Cool Chris and I started watching it when we were dating. It was literally the one show we could both enjoy, our tastes as so different. I think I stopped around season 7 or 8. I have different interests now and spend most of my evenings playing with my kids, and non-family doing other things. 

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: May 24, 2019, 10:18:12 AM »
I am in agreement about Big Bang Theory. I tried watching it a few times and it was never funny.  I never laughed a single time.

It seems like it's one of those shows where there's no middle ground. The people that like it really LIKE it......and the people that don't really dislike it. Like I said....for me the punchlines were telegraphed and when they weren't telegraphed they just weren't funny. I mean even this example from MirrorMask (even though it's only the text) really doesn't strike me as funny. But...to each their own I suppose.

I'll always remembers one of the jokes from early seasons, possibly the first; they were making a pop culture quiz and the guys couldn't answer anything, Leonard in exasperation quipped to Penny "how come do you know all these things?" and she yelled "I GO OUTSIDE AND I TALK TO PEOPLE"

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: May 24, 2019, 10:31:43 AM »
Apparently this is controversial: Big Bang Theory was one of the funniest sitcoms I've ever watched!  :lol
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #57 on: May 24, 2019, 10:35:53 AM »
Big Bang had some pretty good elements to it wayyyy back in the day.

Leonard was always just annoying dick. Sheldon was originally actually very entertaining. Raj or whatever being mute around girls was pretty clever too, and of course Howard, his mom, and his AMAZINGLY hot girlfriend started off good too.

It just went down hill very very fast.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #58 on: May 24, 2019, 10:36:19 AM »
Apparently this is controversial: Big Bang Theory was one of the funniest sitcoms I've ever watched!  :lol

Nah man, we're just too stupid to get the nerd humor.  ::)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: May 24, 2019, 10:36:59 AM »
I get more laughs out of The Big Bang Theory watching it with all the laugh tracks taken out. It's so unfunny it becomes funny.  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #60 on: May 24, 2019, 11:34:52 AM »

Game Of Thrones
The Sopranos
Breaking Bad
Better Call Saul

I've never seen the three other than GOT and have virtually no interest in seeing any of them either.  I don't even know what Better Call Saul is about; I just know its a spin-off of Breaking Bad.

Also, BBT is one of my all-time favorite TV shows (despite the fact that Sheldon almost certainly would return his shopping carts to the corral).  It certainly had its lulls, and I don't agree with all of the character development, but it was overall an excellent sitcom.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: May 24, 2019, 11:41:29 AM »

I think it's much more likely that I'm too stupid to realize why it's not funny.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #62 on: May 24, 2019, 12:34:47 PM »

I think it's much more likely that I'm too stupid to realize why it's not funny.

It's all subjective, as seen with my opinion of Fresh Prince being the funniest sitcom, and plenty disagreeing, so certain shows aren't going to resonate with everyone. That said, I think the defense of people not thinking BBT is funny cause the nerd/smart jokes are going over their head is complete bollocks. 2 and a Half Men is just as unfunny. Those tenniebopper Disney shows are abysmal as well. Don't put yourself down because a certain show sucks.

If Buffy the Vampire Slayer ended with Season 5, it would be one of the best TV shows. Same with Supernatural, which also should have ended after Season 5. Although there are still some great episodes afterwards.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #63 on: May 24, 2019, 12:41:38 PM »

Game Of Thrones
The Sopranos
Breaking Bad
Better Call Saul

Those are literally 4 of the best shows of all time. Fix yourself. Jeezus. Stop bragging and start watching. Srong witchu.  :lol :lol :lol

Eh, not everyone enjoys f-bombs every other word and people constantly being murdered. Weird, I know.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: May 24, 2019, 12:53:20 PM »
That said, I think the defense of people not thinking BBT is funny cause the nerd/smart jokes are going over their head is complete bollocks.

I've literally never heard that defense. Is that really a thing? If so, I completely agree with you. Bollocks.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: May 24, 2019, 12:54:39 PM »
That said, I think the defense of people not thinking BBT is funny cause the nerd/smart jokes are going over their head is complete bollocks.

I've literally never heard that defense. Is that really a thing? If so, I completely agree with you. Bollocks.

Example: TAC     :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: May 24, 2019, 12:57:10 PM »

Game Of Thrones
The Sopranos
Breaking Bad
Better Call Saul

Eh, not everyone enjoys f-bombs every other word and people constantly being murdered. Weird, I know.

It's sad that that's your only takeaway from those shows.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #67 on: May 24, 2019, 01:01:52 PM »

Game Of Thrones
The Sopranos
Breaking Bad
Better Call Saul

Don't be silly, of course they do.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #68 on: May 24, 2019, 03:11:03 PM »

Game Of Thrones
The Sopranos
Breaking Bad
Better Call Saul

Agreed.

And with the exception of Season 1, Breaking Bad didn't have a ton of language. They definitely toned it way down from Season 2 onward (only 1 or 2 f-bombs a season).

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #69 on: May 24, 2019, 03:25:37 PM »

Game Of Thrones
The Sopranos
Breaking Bad
Better Call Saul

Agreed.

And with the exception of Season 1, Breaking Bad didn't have a ton of language. They definitely toned it way down from Season 2 onward (only 1 or 2 f-bombs a season).

My favorite show is Justified, and although it's not as hardcore as BB, it still has plenty of violence that makes me uncomfortable.