Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 646462 times)

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #3045 on: November 24, 2015, 10:32:50 AM »
I've lost almost all hopes for this show during S5, but I've got to admit this poster is pretty badass and awesome.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3046 on: November 24, 2015, 11:42:41 AM »
I wonder too how we'll come to know of Jon Snow's parents, since everyone who knew it is dead.

Probably some barely mentioned character in the book that has not been casted in the show is still alive, though.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3047 on: November 24, 2015, 11:51:33 AM »
I wonder too how we'll come to know of Jon Snow's parents, since everyone who knew it is dead.

Probably some barely mentioned character in the book that has not been casted in the show is still alive, though.

If you're talking about who I think you're talking about, he's surely alive in the books as far as we know and I wouldn't say he's barely mentioned.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3048 on: November 24, 2015, 12:31:21 PM »

If you're talking about who I think you're talking about, he's surely alive in the books as far as we know and I wouldn't say he's barely mentioned.

Well for one, there is Benjen who we still do not know his fate (nor do we know if he knows the truth) and then there is a character in the books who knows, I think he was only mentioned once or twice in the show though and is not even a character we see in the books so I am not sure if the show will ever show us this character.  I personally believe, in the show, we will see it in the form of flashbacks through Bran.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3049 on: November 24, 2015, 12:33:33 PM »
Yeah, I didn't read the books, I remember an article about the most plausible theory and someone was with Ned Stark when it all happened, this is the someone I refer to... I don't even remember the name, just someone who was with Ned Stark when he found out, and that is still alive. Such a character indeed never appeared on the show nor I think it was ever mentioned.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3050 on: November 24, 2015, 12:39:46 PM »
Yeah, I didn't read the books, I remember an article about the most plausible theory and someone was with Ned Stark when it all happened, this is the someone I refer to... I don't even remember the name, just someone who was with Ned Stark when he found out, and that is still alive. Such a character indeed never appeared on the show nor I think it was ever mentioned.

I think he was mentioned like once and in a way that you would never link him to Jon's parents.  Hint, he is the father of a character/s that are in the show.  This is definitely the character you are referring to as well.  Answer is spoiler below (I have no idea if this is actual spoiler to the show, just to be safe).

Howland Reed, Mira and Jojen's father, was with Ned at the Tower of Joy

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3051 on: November 24, 2015, 12:41:51 PM »

Yup, that guy. We got his children in the show though.

I'm convinced Benjen doesn't know. I think the only ones who can know about Jon's parentage are the ones who were with Ned at Tower of Joy, and since there were only two survivors including Ned, well...

I mean, I don't think Ned told Benjen about Jon's parentage. Benjen joined the NW shortly after Ned returned from Robert's Rebellion, and I don't see why Ned would've told him this just like that. After all, he was married with Catelyn for 15 years and he never told her about it. While yes, Benjen, Ned and Lyanna were all pretty close, the fact Benjen joined the NW shortly after Ned came back... well, you know, now I think Benjen might know something. :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3052 on: November 24, 2015, 12:43:54 PM »

I'm convinced Benjen doesn't know. I think the only ones who can know about Jon's parentage are the ones who were with Ned at Tower of Joy, and since there were only two survivors including Ned, well...

I don't think Ned told Benjen about Jon's parentage. Benjen joined the NW shortly after Ned returned from Robert's Rebellion, and I don't see why Ned would've told him this just like that. After all, he was married with Catelyn for 15 years and he never told her about it.

Im not sure either, but Benjen as a sworn brother of the nights watch and a true stark, would be the only person I can think of that Ned would share this info with.  There is also something about the way Benjen treated Jon that made me think it's possible he knew.  But that's just speculation.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3053 on: November 24, 2015, 12:44:14 PM »

I think he was mentioned like once and in a way that you would never link him to Jon's parents.  Hint, he is the father of a character/s that are in the show.  This is definitely the character you are referring to as well.  Answer is spoiler below (I have no idea if this is actual spoiler to the show, just to be safe).

Yep, that must have been him!

I'm not sure how the show will handle it however, it would feel like a deus ex machina to have this dude pop up and say "Hi Jon! remember me? no? well, neither do everyone who watched the show. Anyway, once I was with good ol' Ned Stark and we did this and that, and then we went there. And that's how I met your mother".

The Bran getting access to Westeros-trees-mystical-wikipedia could be an alternate way, as you suggested.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3054 on: November 24, 2015, 12:44:53 PM »

I don't think Ned told Benjen about Jon's parentage. Benjen joined the NW shortly after Ned returned from Robert's Rebellion, and I don't see why Ned would've told him this just like that. After all, he was married with Catelyn for 15 years and he never told her about it.

Im not sure either, but Benjen as a sworn brother of the nights watch and a true stark, would be the only person I can think of that Ned would share this info with.  There is also something about the way Benjen treated Jon that made me think it's possible he knew.  But that's just speculation.

I actually edited my original post. Yep, I allow there is a possibility he knows something. If he's even alive, that is.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3055 on: November 24, 2015, 12:49:07 PM »

Yep, that must have been him!

I'm not sure how the show will handle it however, it would feel like a deus ex machina to have this dude pop up and say "Hi Jon! remember me? no? well, neither do everyone who watched the show. Anyway, once I was with good ol' Ned Stark and we did this and that, and then we went there. And that's how I met your mother".

The Bran getting access to Westeros-trees-mystical-wikipedia could be an alternate way, as you suggested.

Yea thats how I see it too based on what the show has already shown us.  It would be poor writing to just introduce this character who knows all but hasnt been around at all.  I believe the trees will show us the truth, but the more I think about Benjen the more I think that is totally possible.  I forgot he was Lyanna's sister too, Ned's honor would almost force him to tell his brother about his sister and her child (if the R+L=J is in fact true).  ahhh all this thinking about GoT has me really wanting to watch or read new material!!

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #3056 on: November 24, 2015, 12:57:08 PM »
Unless he kept the promise and told no one at all.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3057 on: December 03, 2015, 03:15:28 PM »
Season 6 Teaser Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxI8aPISq8I

PUMPED  :metal

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3058 on: December 03, 2015, 10:57:17 PM »
Now this is the real challange. Staying away from the trailers for Star Wars or Civil War has been tough, but not overly tough. Staying away from these trailers will be the trye test to my dedication of non-trailerness.

But still, I'm also pumped!  :metal

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #3059 on: December 04, 2015, 06:52:33 AM »
That wasn't even a tease. It was all old footage.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3060 on: December 04, 2015, 06:59:10 AM »
Yup, almost nothing new there except for a few generic sentences.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3061 on: December 04, 2015, 07:02:04 AM »
Agreed, but what was new was it was all from the perspective of Bloodraven talking to Bran.

I think that supports my theory that Bran will discover Jon's parentage through Bloodraven using the Weirwood trees.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3062 on: December 22, 2015, 02:59:23 PM »
https://www.cinemablend.com/television/Game-Thrones-Season-5-Blu-ray-Offer-Crazy-Feature-106837.html

Really cool feautre to be included with the blu ray of season 5

Here’s why you should be excited. First and foremost, the feature will be 20-minutes long and it will delve into the history of the Targaryens and the battles that have been alluded to on the series. It gets even more exciting. Our buddy Pedro Pascal, who played Oberyn Martell on Game of Thrones during Season 4, is back to narrate “The Dance of Dragons.” Plus a ton of former GOT actors also lend their voices to the bit, including Jack Gleeson, Michelle Fairley, Mark Addy, Harry Lloyd and Kerry Ingram. The segment features battling dragons flying through the air and would be really cool if we were watching it in live action on HBO. As it stands, it fills in a lot of the gaps and enriches the already complex narrative we get with Game of Thrones.

I am not one to collect physical media anymore besides concert blu-rays, but I have all of the seasons of this show on blu-ray and was already planning on getting this, but that is just making me salivate a little for this blu-ray.  That's an awesome bonus as one who loves the books and the history of westeros.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #3063 on: December 22, 2015, 09:04:03 PM »
Awesome, I hate the fact that we have to wait an extra month to get the bluray this time round as they're normally out in February. But that is an excellent addition. Which reminds me I still need to finish up all the histories and lore of previous seasons.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #3064 on: December 23, 2015, 06:51:09 AM »
I own all of the season as well but rarely ever venture into the bonus features. I may have to go back to the older seasons and check out the lore sections.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #3065 on: December 23, 2015, 07:24:00 AM »
You should, they are fantastic. Cartoon like animation story telling of each house told by the character and very very well done. Some of the stuff in season one is amazing like Ned's father and brother's confrontation with the mad king, etc.. there are several like those.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3066 on: December 23, 2015, 08:38:53 AM »
 :metal
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #3067 on: January 04, 2016, 05:24:12 AM »
About a month ago I finally got around to watch this series and I have to say, it's one of my favorite things ever. Mindblowing. Since I've finished (or have caught up) I started reading ASOIAF, and I'm currently halfway through AGOT. I spend daily hours on Game Of Thrones Wiki just exploring this enormous universe that GRRM was capable of creating... everything is just so mindblowing! I can't wait for Season 6. Seriously.
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3068 on: January 04, 2016, 06:13:02 AM »
Amen brotha'.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #3069 on: January 04, 2016, 06:15:01 AM »
I can't wait for Season 6. Seriously.
The wait for the next season is always excruciating.

In other 'no surprise' news GRRM will not have book six ready before the season airs. Not that made any difference to me, I know a few people were hoping it would be out before the season.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3070 on: January 04, 2016, 06:18:54 AM »
He wasn't happy with the writing apparently. I'm kind of glad though. I'd rather him take his time until he feels comfortable with it instead of feeling like he's under time constraints to get it finished.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3071 on: January 04, 2016, 07:08:03 AM »
It's amazing and scary how quickly times fly. After season 5 finale or basically every finale you think "Damn a whole year until the next season" and suddenly you find yourself thinking "Oh right, it's january now" and it dosen't feel that far away anymore. 6 months can sneak away quickly and when you think about it, it's pretty scary.

#SEASON 6 HYPE
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #3072 on: January 04, 2016, 07:26:18 AM »
I have no faith that he will finish book 7 before he dies.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3073 on: January 04, 2016, 08:05:57 AM »

nor do I. He's a few bacon slices away from a coronary......
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3074 on: January 04, 2016, 08:32:59 AM »

Sadly, I have to agree here.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3075 on: January 04, 2016, 09:09:48 AM »
Yeah, I worry about that too... Thankfully the showrunners can at least finish a version of the story if that happens.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3076 on: January 04, 2016, 09:31:18 AM »
Yup, we may never see the end to the books, but the show will give us an ending at least.

I was upset when I read the book won't be out soon, but not at all surprised. 

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3077 on: January 04, 2016, 09:51:53 AM »
I finally started downloading the Telltale game episodes from the playstaion store, something to hold me up til the new season starts, it's pretty decent so far.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3078 on: January 04, 2016, 11:59:17 AM »
Echoing some of the sentiments, I'm really concerned about him finishing the books before he passes on. It's morbid to look at that way but I'm sure there's a huge portion of the readers who have thought that very same thing.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #3079 on: January 04, 2016, 01:45:56 PM »
I finally started downloading the Telltale game episodes from the playstaion store, something to hold me up til the new season starts, it's pretty decent so far.

I really enjoyed it. Looking forward to season 2.

I'm almost wondering if he should just not do a seventh book. Keep writing book 6. Split in two and you'll have seven books. Either that or make a highly detailed outline and let someone else write it.