Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 646433 times)

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #2765 on: June 03, 2015, 07:01:45 AM »
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2766 on: June 03, 2015, 09:33:05 AM »
I bet you killing all the White Walkers would stop the wights as well. I think maybe there isn't that many actual White Walkers and that's why they need to make wights to have foot soldiers, just a speculation.

Yea, that would make sense too, but I do wonder how many white walkers there actually are.  Since we know the Nights King was able to turn Crasters baby into one (as a baby too, so I guess that means they can grow) and we can assume Craster has had many baby boys based on how many girls he had, then that could add up to a decent amount right there assuming they aren't turning other humans into WW.  So much to speculate on them and really nothing to go on besides what we saw in the show.  The books don't give any insight into them besides a slight history on the Nights King which was just an ancient story, but Old Nan's stories all seem to be true so far.

Craster said that he had had 99 sons. And I think there are probably more from before Craster came along. I think that, while the wights are obviously more numerous, there are a lot more actual white walkers than we've seen. The Night's King's back story also suggests that there are woman white walkers.

And I still doubt that they were all human from the beginning though. But that's just me, and that might very well be wrong.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2767 on: June 03, 2015, 09:59:13 AM »
Supposedly, we should learn more about the origins of the Walkers in the next novel, which Martin has said he wants published before season 6 of the show airs (which means he has less than a year; I'll believe it when I see it).
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2768 on: June 03, 2015, 10:30:03 AM »
Supposedly, we should learn more about the origins of the Walkers in the next novel, which Martin has said he wants published before season 6 of the show airs (which means he has less than a year; I'll believe it when I see it).

That would be a miracle, but would also be awesome.

Online faizoff

« Reply #2769 on: June 03, 2015, 10:51:25 AM »
I thought the next book was mostly already written with there being a 1500 page manuscript already. All that was needed was editing it down, wasn't there some talk also about possibly being a 3rd book remaining as well? I don't remember the details or sources as I never started caring about news regarding the books until I started reading them.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #2770 on: June 03, 2015, 10:56:46 AM »
I thought the next book was mostly already written with there being a 1500 page manuscript already. All that was needed was editing it down, wasn't there some talk also about possibly being a 3rd book remaining as well? I don't remember the details or sources as I never started caring about news regarding the books until I started reading them.
It's obviously not known exactly how much he has written, but the last pieces of information we got definitely didn't indicate it was mostly written or that there was 1500 pages ready.

The book that was "already mostly written" you may be thinking of was A Dance With Dragons, the fifth one. His manuscript was getting too long to be one book so he released the fourth book (A Feast For Crows) with only about half of the point of view characters in it, then he was going to release the parallel book with the other characters "next year".

A Feast For Crows came out in 2005. A Dance With Dragons was releasd in 2011.

Online faizoff

« Reply #2771 on: June 03, 2015, 11:02:44 AM »
It's entirely possible I'm mixing it up but I remember reading about this between the airing of season 3 and season 4. I had bought the books at the time but hadn't started reading them until very recently.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2772 on: June 03, 2015, 11:17:06 AM »
Hahaha, yeah, A Dance with Dragons was "almost written" when AFFC came out. GRRM predicted he could publish it the next year after AFFC. Since then he predicted a lot of things, basically saying "ADWD will totally come out this year" for six years in a row.

So I'm with Hef here, I'll believe it when I see it.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2773 on: June 03, 2015, 11:18:58 AM »
Yea I do believe he has a lot written, but I don't believe that means he is close to completion.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2774 on: June 03, 2015, 12:18:51 PM »
He has said in multiple interview that he doesn't really make those predictions anymore since he has realized that he always gets it wrong. That he actually says it now anyways means to me that there is actually a possibility for it to be true.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2775 on: June 03, 2015, 12:49:35 PM »
He has said in multiple interview that he doesn't really make those predictions anymore since he has realized that he always gets it wrong. That he actually says it now anyways means to me that there is actually a possibility for it to be true.

well.....eventually he will be done and be right  :lol
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2776 on: June 03, 2015, 01:09:45 PM »

well.....eventually he will be done and be right  :lol

Well unless something tragic happens which is something many people fear will be the case before he finishes the series.

Online faizoff

« Reply #2777 on: June 03, 2015, 01:32:44 PM »
Apparently the lady who recently got killed at the South African safari by a lion worked in visual effects and did so for GOT.
https://mashable.com/2015/06/03/katherine-chappell-lion-attack/

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2778 on: June 03, 2015, 03:37:21 PM »
That's so sad, what a horrific way to die.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2779 on: June 04, 2015, 07:23:42 AM »
Why the hell would you have your door open or your window down going through a safari full of lions?  Man, I would have the doors locked even though I know Loins don't know how to use handles.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2780 on: June 06, 2015, 08:11:07 AM »
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2781 on: June 07, 2015, 06:55:15 AM »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2782 on: June 07, 2015, 02:12:43 PM »
 :corn I cant wait for the traditional season climax tonight!

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2783 on: June 07, 2015, 05:50:03 PM »
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2784 on: June 07, 2015, 08:35:49 PM »
I was almost sure Stannis' wife was going to stab Melisandre to death.

Online faizoff

« Reply #2785 on: June 07, 2015, 08:36:21 PM »
I was expecting a bigger set of events lol. I sorta guessed Drogon's appearance would happen but not the sons of Harpy attack. That part was awesome. Heartbreaking moment with Stannis and his wife. Man I can't believe the season is almost done.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2786 on: June 07, 2015, 08:39:54 PM »
My friends predicted the dragon coming but that was a little too Deus Ex Machina for my liking. I probably shouldn't complain since under any normal circumstances all of those characters would be dead without the dragon showing up but I expect a little better from GOT.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #2787 on: June 07, 2015, 08:46:11 PM »
So, how about that Stannis????

Honestly, I was shocked even though I could see it coming from the way the episode was going, but I don't think it's a bad thing. Stannis was never suppose to be a hero, or a villain, he's just someone who's gonna go to any length to get the Iron Throne not because he wants it but because the law says it's rightfully his.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Online faizoff

« Reply #2788 on: June 07, 2015, 08:57:03 PM »
Also I thought this was the best Dorne section of the season so far. We needed more Doran throughout the season.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2789 on: June 07, 2015, 09:55:15 PM »
So, how about that Stannis????

Honestly, I was shocked even though I could see it coming from the way the episode was going, but I don't think it's a bad thing. Stannis was never suppose to be a hero, or a villain, he's just someone who's gonna go to any length to get the Iron Throne not because he wants it but because the law says it's rightfully his.

Yeah, this. I mean...the scenes with he and his daughter did a lot to make the scene of her being burned at the stake that much ,ore powerful. Had he not been developed a tad more this season it'd not have been that big a deal for that to happen. I don't know about any other parents out there who watched that....but it was BRUTAL to hear her screaming for her Dad like that. 

The Mereen scenes were good. I'm guessing when Danys "husband" showed up late saying he was making sure things were in order he had orchestrated or was a part of the whole SOH attack? I liked the fact that Tyrion seemed to impress Dany as well with his comments. And, although it was expected/predictable that Drogon was going to show up.....I friggin' loved every bit of it! That was definately a cool rescue.

I don't think I have any doubts now...even in that brief scene....that the little sh%t Olly is going to try and kill Jon. He has a 'look' about him....
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2790 on: June 07, 2015, 10:29:45 PM »
GoT has probably spoiled me but I thought the dragon ride at the end could have used some better shots.
I'm also a little taken by how weak the dragon is, this is the creature that fought in the Targaryen conquest wars against Westerosi armies? is it me or did he look like he was about to die after 4 spears?
Was funny that an event like that wasn't packed with Unsullied soldiers..
Very interested to see how Shireen's death pays off to Stannis.
Seems like there's a whole lot of cover next episode.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2791 on: June 08, 2015, 05:07:10 AM »
Its amazing how the Unsullied are meant to be these awesome soldiers, yet almost every time they're involved in a skirmish they get their ass and balls handed to them.

Love how from the start of the episode you could see Stannis had a cuply screws loose, he looks so fucked up.  That whole scene with his daughter was heartbreaking especially with her screaming like that, as gmillerdrake said.

Online faizoff

« Reply #2792 on: June 08, 2015, 05:12:44 AM »
They looked outnumbered and I believe they fight better in formation, I dunno. I think at some point they should show them in full kick ass combat style and not the pansy always surprised and outmatched fights they've been in so far.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2793 on: June 08, 2015, 05:27:38 AM »
Well so much for Stannis turning into that likeable character I was talking about earlier this season.  Seems he went to the dark side last night.  The screams were powerful and scarey, that was a really emotional scene and while it did not happen (or not yet) in the books, many people had speculated it would happen, but I was still surprised they went with it.

As for the Unsullied, it didn't seem like there was many there at all and I can only assume there weren't because the opening of the pits was supposed to be a peaceful event to stop the attacks.  While many book readers believe Hizdar could have been leading the Sons of the Harpy... he died in the TV being stabbed while he is still alive in the books, so I am guessing he actually may be innocent? 

That scene with Meryn Trant in the brother and "younger" was pretty messed up.  The girl I was watching with and I both thought that was worse than the Sansa rape.

Really good episode overall, but not as good as Hardhome and the previous episode 9s.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2794 on: June 08, 2015, 07:28:15 AM »
My friends predicted the dragon coming but that was a little too Deus Ex Machina for my liking. I probably shouldn't complain since under any normal circumstances all of those characters would be dead without the dragon showing up but I expect a little better from GOT.
In the book, if I'm not mistaken, when Drogon showed up the fights had been going on for a while, and the reader is led to believe that he was attracted by the noise of the stadium and the blood in the air, not from any intent to save anyone.

I'm also a little taken by how weak the dragon is, this is the creature that fought in the Targaryen conquest wars against Westerosi armies? is it me or did he look like he was about to die after 4 spears?
These dragons are still young.  The ones used in the Targaryen conquest were much older, much larger, and much more powerful.

Online faizoff

« Reply #2795 on: June 08, 2015, 07:40:28 AM »
I might be mistaken but my initial thought was that Drogon appeared much smaller than what they showed him in the earlier episode in the season.

Online faizoff

« Reply #2796 on: June 08, 2015, 07:56:12 AM »
Was also thinking how contrasting the endings of the last two episodes were, one a fight featuring the theme of Ice and the other ending with Fire.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2797 on: June 08, 2015, 08:08:38 AM »
I would like to see the girl's burning at the stake lead to nothing, and then Stannis rip the Red woman apart for the charlatan that she is.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2798 on: June 08, 2015, 08:09:04 AM »
Was also thinking how contrasting the endings of the last two episodes were, one a fight featuring the theme of Ice and the other ending with Fire.

Good point.  I guess those two scenes ate up a lot of the budget this season. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2799 on: June 08, 2015, 08:53:34 AM »
I might be mistaken but my initial thought was that Drogon appeared much smaller than what they showed him in the earlier episode in the season.
Not that I noticed.