Author Topic: The Official Alter Bridge Thread v. PAWNS & KINGS  (Read 260743 times)

Offline Anguyen92

Re: The Official Alter Bridge Thread v. PAWNS & KINGS
« Reply #2100 on: September 19, 2022, 08:56:01 AM »
I think, at times, we really understate how Myles wants to go heavy as well.  Other than AB, he doesn't have a platform to showcase that.  In a song that he did with Mark Morton of Lamb of God, Save Defiance, it felt like an AB song, just without certain characteristics that can put it on par with the best of the catalog.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2101 on: September 19, 2022, 09:14:59 AM »
I think, at times, we really understate how Myles wants to go heavy as well.  Other than AB, he doesn't have a platform to showcase that.  In a song that he did with Mark Morton of Lamb of God, Save Defiance, it felt like an AB song, just without certain characteristics that can put it on par with the best of the catalog.

Well, I do want to be clear, I know this is MY preference, and above all I want my artists to be true to what THEY want to do.  I can't speak for Myles, so can only say what I prefer, but I do respect what they do (and I have the outlet for the other stuff with Slash, which I very much like).

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #2102 on: September 19, 2022, 09:28:53 AM »

I need to listen to that. - that's really good! I am not a LoG fan, so that album flew under the radar for me. If I like the rest of it, I'll be purchasing the album. If not, at least that track (the one with Chester Bennington is good too. Just started listening to the full album).

Regarding Myles' desires, I think he knows what's a riff for solo vs. what's a riff for AB. The thing is, there's a lot of blend, since Tremonti uses a lot of his blistering stuff for his solo band, and then comes up with other more melodic stuff as he can for AB. So there's always a nice balance.

For me, AB is what I love about a band. A balance of straight ahead hard rock, mesmerizing epics, and a powerful vocal. I know some people disagree when I say they remind me of Queensryche in their heyday. But they absolutely do. AB reminds me of Mindcrime/Empire/PL era Queensryche, with a touch of speed metal thrown in. (Kennedy is the DeGarmo on guitar, whereas Tremonti is probably a more versatile - with all respect to Whip -  version of Wilton). And just like Queensryche, I feel Alter Bridge is at their best when they do the more mid-tempo epic (Blackbird, Show Me a Sign, The End is Here, Fortress, Cradle to the Grave, etc., vs. Roads to Madness, Anybody Listening, Screaming in Digital, Promised Land, etc.). To me, that epic thing is AB's bread and butter.

I totally dig them doing the heavier, faster stuff (with Tremonti, you're always going to have that speed metal), and they do it really well. But when Mark and Myles come up with those big sounding, dramatic tunes, it's what really gets it for me.

And the nice thing is, all four of the AB guys get it. They know what they are good at, and strive to deliver that on each record. They pay a lot of attention to not only what they want to do as songwriters and push forward into new territory, but they are conscious of what they are good at, and try to give a good balance of everything with every new album.

Anyway, Myles digs the heavy for sure, but for me, I'm glad they continue to provide a balance. It makes for a way more dynamic record each time out.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2022, 11:29:49 AM by Samsara »
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #2103 on: September 19, 2022, 10:30:43 AM »
This is quite a fascinating discussion.  As I mentioned a page or two ago, the heavier side of AB (and even more so Tremonti) really appeals to me.  You can say some of Tremonti's riffs are generic, sure, but spread out over 16 albums at this point, I think you'd be hard-pressed to find many riff writers who are more consistent than him for as long.  It's actually even more his tone that I appreciate.  It changes a bit here and there, but it's remarkably solid throughout anything he does, more so than most other players.  Their sound scratches a particular musical itch for me that not many others do (Sevendust and some of their related projects are the closest), that can't really be fulfilled by most normal metal or rock bands.  I like some of the mellow and/or epic material from time to time, but mostly when I want that side of things there are other bands that do it better for me.  It's hard to find bands that are equally good at all of their different facets. 

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2104 on: September 26, 2022, 03:53:25 PM »
Anguyen,

Just saw AB had to postpone the listening party due to the hurricane. Just FYI if you haven't already been tracking it. Hurricane Ian looks like a SOB from a storm surge perspective. Probably a lot of damage.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #2105 on: September 26, 2022, 03:55:21 PM »
I've already known about this since this morning.  I was hoping that maybe it was going to sort itself out before 09/30.  Doesn't seem to be the case.  Rescheduling flight and hotel this close is going to be hard, painful, and costly to do.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2106 on: September 26, 2022, 06:13:37 PM »
I’m down here now - Cape Coral, 2 ˝ hours south west of Orlando and this storm is no joke. I rebooked on an earlier flight tomorrow at noon, and this from a guy that once sat at Acme Oyster house with two of the bartenders and ate oysters and drank beer as Rita bore down in New Orleans and opted to drive back to Atlanta. 

My brother is a cop and he got called in for tomorrow for emergency response.  He expects to work almost straight through to Friday.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2022, 07:58:28 AM by Stadler »

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2107 on: September 27, 2022, 08:22:01 AM »
I’m down here now - Cape Coral, 2 ˝ hours south west of Orlando and this storm is no joke. I rebooked on an earlier flight tomorrow at noon, and this from a guy that once sat at ACMe Oyster house with two of the bartenders and ate oysters and drank beer as Rita bore down in New Orleans and opted to drive back to Atlanta. 

My brother is a cop and he got called in for tomorrow for emergency response.  He expects to work almost straight through to Friday.

Glad you are getting out ahead of time. The storm surge man...wow. Different area, but the whole Tampa/St. Pete area is going to be flooded. Hope everyone down there gets out.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2108 on: October 04, 2022, 08:38:44 AM »
Alter Bridge has released "This is War" from its upcoming record, Pawns & Kings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oOho_iu4Hs

Heavy as hell, with a lot of dramatics. Love it.  :metal

Edit: I just listened to all the released tracks, and I'm pretty confident this will be my favorite record from them. The power, the guitar ear candy, the moodiness...its all there. I'm pumped for next Friday. I'm not listening to the new stuff at all after this until the 14th. Family tradition to listen to the record in-full, together.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2022, 09:23:55 AM by Samsara »

Offline Awaken

« Reply #2109 on: October 04, 2022, 10:54:28 AM »
Alter Bridge has released "This is War" from its upcoming record, Pawns & Kings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oOho_iu4Hs

Heavy as hell, with a lot of dramatics. Love it.  :metal

Edit: I just listened to all the released tracks, and I'm pretty confident this will be my favorite record from them. The power, the guitar ear candy, the moodiness...its all there. I'm pumped for next Friday. I'm not listening to the new stuff at all after this until the 14th. Family tradition to listen to the record in-full, together.

Agreed - love each of the singles released.  Looking forward to release day

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2110 on: October 13, 2022, 10:14:42 AM »
TOMORROW!  :metal

Although it sounds like the album is arriving early for a few people. Sadly, I think mine will be here tomorrow, but we'll see. I have copies on the way from Amazon and vinyl ordered from the AB store and Nuclear Blast.

Loved reading all the reviews that dropped this week. Sounds like most folks are in agreement - this is Alter Bridge at their heaviest best, and Fable of the Silent Son is an epic for the ages. Really excited for tomorrow. I'm just hoping Amazon releases an autorip at midnight so I can put it on the iPod for the drive into the office. If not, it'll be spotify. Blah.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #2111 on: October 13, 2022, 11:21:01 AM »
I hope you guys don't mind me plugging the AB Nation Forum since that's where I'm putting my long long long trip report posts of my trip in Orlando for the Listening Party.  I'm at three parts already, but I'm at the point where I gave my best song by song review of the album and I decided to get that part out there before the album release.  My thoughts about the trip is really incoherent and extensive than I thought it would be, but those are my unfiltered thoughts about the trip so far.

Part I

Part II

Part III

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2112 on: October 13, 2022, 01:01:38 PM »
I hope you guys don't mind me plugging the AB Nation Forum since that's where I'm putting my long long long trip report posts of my trip in Orlando for the Listening Party.  I'm at three parts already, but I'm at the point where I gave my best song by song review of the album and I decided to get that part out there before the album release.  My thoughts about the trip is really incoherent and extensive than I thought it would be, but those are my unfiltered thoughts about the trip so far.

Part I

Part II

Part III

Thanks for sharing! Now that I've seen what you look like, if memory serves, you were at the Walk the Sky San Fran gig, right? Could have sworn it was you from the picture.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #2113 on: October 13, 2022, 01:20:13 PM »
I was at the San Francisco show during the Walk the Sky tour.  I think I was the 2nd person in line after the Meet & Greet fans got in.  Probably wore the same clothes for that show as well.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2114 on: October 13, 2022, 01:24:01 PM »
Yeah. We saw you for sure, as we were there early for meet and greet, and everything else. Cool.

Here's to AB day tomorrow. Can't wait to hear the record in its entirety.  :metal

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #2115 on: October 13, 2022, 03:20:05 PM »

Part I

Part II

Part III

SO AWESOME! Once I get home from JP/MP/DLR show tonight, I'll be listening to new album! I CANNOT WAIT!!!!!! LOVE AB SO MUCH! :metal

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #2116 on: October 13, 2022, 03:20:53 PM »
Here's to AB day tomorrow. Can't wait to hear the record in its entirety.  :metal

HELL YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2117 on: October 13, 2022, 03:26:13 PM »

HELL YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

I'm HOPING at midnight, my time, I'll have access to the album digitally on Amazon. Fingers-crossed. Got all my shipment notices (except for AB's webstore), so hopefully there will be a pile of AB stuff at my door tomorrow afternoon.  :lol

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2118 on: October 14, 2022, 07:31:20 AM »
Listening now!  :metal

Offline Awaken

« Reply #2119 on: October 14, 2022, 07:47:49 AM »
This is an extremely solid AB album, loved all the singles (some more than others) and the rest of the songs are good to great.  Stay is the only one not really resonating right now, but I'll give it a few more spins. 

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2120 on: October 14, 2022, 08:11:52 AM »
I'm in the middle of "Fable of the Silent Son." So far, WOW. I didn't care for Holiday all that much, with Myles going into his "Slash voice" as I call it. But the rest so far...  :metal

Oh my God, old school fucking trade-off guitar solo badassery in FABLE. WOW!!!!!! Fuck yeah, you shred!

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2121 on: October 14, 2022, 09:15:53 AM »
Enjoy it on first listen. I'll see how it does in the coming days with more listens but seems like a really good album :coolio
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2122 on: October 14, 2022, 09:17:56 AM »
I'm in the middle of "Fable of the Silent Son." So far, WOW. I didn't care for Holiday all that much, with Myles going into his "Slash voice" as I call it. But the rest so far...  :metal

Oh my God, old school fucking trade-off guitar solo badassery in FABLE. WOW!!!!!! Fuck yeah, you shred!

I want to hear your impressions; I'm being sincere (and a little jealous) when I say I have admired your excitement for this release.  It's really hard for me, these days, to build up any real enthusiasm like that for a release, since there are so many.  I sincerely hope it pays off for you. 

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2123 on: October 14, 2022, 09:29:01 AM »
Thanks Stads. BTW, loved that pic of you and Tim. Hopefully one day we'll be able to replicate that. (And add Tim in for good measure, because why not.)

AB is just one of the bands that check all the boxes for me. Intelligent lyrics, moody melodies, great guitar work, operatic tenor vocals, etc. I've said this before, but they very much remind me of Queensryche circa (1988-1994). When I discovered them in 2004 thanks to a friend, I thought they were good. But once Blackbird came out, and that two-guitar sound was finally embraced and fleshed out, the similarities were overwhelming to me. And I feel pretty fortunate to feel this way about a band in 2022 like I felt about QR in the 80s and 90s. It's an emotional connection that's sorta hard to put to words. I can with QR, with enough time in the rearview to explain it and see the reasons. But with AB...it's the same feeling but I can't describe the "why" on that emotional connection quite yet. It's just there.

So far, really enjoying Pawns & Kings. My initial impression is that the first half of the record is the stronger half. But that was on my first listen. But "Fable of the Silent Son" is indeed AB's version of "Stairway to Heaven." It's a first person account by Myles Kennedy to my ears. Tugs at the middle aged heartstrings. Hell of a solo section too.

More soon. I want to listen a few times before really going full-on into an evaluation.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #2124 on: October 14, 2022, 10:35:54 AM »
Well, now that I have the chance to listen to the album in the comfort of my home.  I like this album, a lot.  They really knocked it out of the park with the last four songs of the album.  I'm liking Dead Among the Living amongst multiple listens.  Holiday is an ok song.  There were parts of it that reminded me of Coming Home, but yeah, it was supposed to be the "don't take yourself seriously" song which meant Myles used his voice that he would when he's with Slash.  Last Man Standing might be the one song of the album that I really would recommend for anyone that wants to see what AB is all about.  Season of Promise was a fun, uplifting song to hear.  Fable of the Silent Son got a lot of interesting sections, and the storytelling is key.

I'm pleased with all of this.  Bring on the tours.  Got tickets for three shows in North America and I'm hoping at some point, next year, I may go to Europe to see them if they do more tours there.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2125 on: October 14, 2022, 10:50:44 AM »
On my second listen, Seasons of Promise and Last Man Standing really stood out.  :metal

I'll write something more formal next week after it sinks in. But I am very, very happy with it so far.

I did hear that AB is doing another U.S. leg in one of the reviews/interviews released this week. So I'm hoping they actually play my market so I can notch a sixth show on this upcoming tour.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #2126 on: October 14, 2022, 11:04:54 AM »
Definitely better than their last. Title tracks chorus is great.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2127 on: October 14, 2022, 12:02:41 PM »
On my second listen, Seasons of Promise and Last Man Standing really stood out.  :metal

I'll write something more formal next week after it sinks in. But I am very, very happy with it so far.

I did hear that AB is doing another U.S. leg in one of the reviews/interviews released this week. So I'm hoping they actually play my market so I can notch a sixth show on this upcoming tour.

Is there only one version - musically - of the album? Meaning, there's no deluxe with additional songs or anything like that?

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2128 on: October 14, 2022, 12:08:17 PM »

Is there only one version - musically - of the album? Meaning, there's no deluxe with additional songs or anything like that?

Correct. They have a couple of other songs fully recorded that they left off, and then another one or two tunes they could go back and record. My guess is, they'll do a 2.0 version of the record at some point next year that has those tracks. They did that with Walk the Sky (I am assuming because of the pandemic), and also did it with AB III, so there's precedent for them to do it.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2129 on: October 14, 2022, 12:28:40 PM »
This is War and Dead Among the Living are a great one two punch to start the album off. I like both of those a lot. Fable of the Silent Son and Last Man Standing are great as well. Definitely the best AB album in a while.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2022, 12:43:26 PM by lordxizor »

Offline The Realm

« Reply #2130 on: October 14, 2022, 03:32:30 PM »
After a couple of listens, new album is sounding great to me and much stronger than the last album. I really didn't like Walk The Sky.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #2131 on: October 15, 2022, 06:09:48 AM »
A lot better than the last two. Well, The Last Hero was pretty great but the production sounded grating to my ears. This one has more of that Fortress vibe and the production is pretty good, still a bit too compressed for my tastes but definitely their best produced sound in a while. I didn't like Holiday all that much but the rest is overall killer stuff.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Awaken

« Reply #2132 on: October 15, 2022, 06:20:02 AM »
This is War and Dead Among the Living are a great one two punch to start the album off. I like both of those a lot. Fable of the Silent Son and Last Man Standing are great as well. Definitely the best AB album in a while.

This is my favorite tune on the album!!  Stay is still not resonating much, but the rest of the album is really great. 
« Last Edit: October 15, 2022, 06:34:00 AM by Awaken »

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #2133 on: October 15, 2022, 09:53:14 AM »
I'm liking a lot the new album so far and I think it was great that, in a album with 10 songs, they made 4 excellent songs with an epic feel (Sin After Sin, Fable of the Silent Son, Last Man Standing and Pawns & Kings).
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #2134 on: October 15, 2022, 12:00:08 PM »
I might have a new favorite AB album.  :hefdaddy