Author Topic: Re: DT16 Timeline Thread - John finished recording guitar parts  (Read 111314 times)

Lynxo, Sausage, neseblod and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Setlist Scotty

Re: DT16 Timeline Thread - Writing continues
« Reply #1715 on: April 02, 2024, 08:45:13 AM »
So my takeaway is Jordan doesn't understand common urinal etiquette.  If this doesn't scream "Bring back Kevin Moore!!!" I don't know what does!    :) :) :) :)

(FYI, I am TOTALLY joking here.)
No way are you joking! We know you've been dreaming of KevMo returning since 1994, and now you've finally figured out the way to make it happen!   :rollin

But my favorite encounter was the night Live at Luna Park was in theaters in 2012. I went to the showing in Dedham, MA with a couple friends. There were mayybe 15-20 people in the audience. One of them just so happened to be new DT member Mike Mangini, there to watch with his crew. He was at the front of the audience and no one bothered him, but he did stick around after the showing and took pictures. Insanely nice guy and my crew were the last to meet him, so we all ended up walking out together. The only thing I remember was that he told a funny story about how Christopher MacDonald aka Shooter McGavin called him to congratulate him on the DT gig. Such a surreal experience, seeing one of the guys in the wild like that.
Very cool story - especially the part about how Shooter McGavin called him to congratulate him! Makes me wonder how many celebrities are familiar with DT or better yet are even fans.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1716 on: April 02, 2024, 08:46:14 AM »
Kev would probably smile and learn to pretend.

:rollin

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #1717 on: April 02, 2024, 08:56:24 AM »
now that MP is back the chances of them playing SDV are probably 0, lol

Was about to welcome you to the land of punctuation, but looks like that was a 'one time' thing ;)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1718 on: April 02, 2024, 09:01:25 AM »
now that MP is back the chances of them playing SDV are probably 0, lol
They were probably zero, anyway.  I don't expect a return of that any more than we have gotten a return of Raise the Knife or Speak to Me.

They played it, checked it off the list, and then went on to other things.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #1719 on: April 02, 2024, 09:16:59 AM »
Kevin Moore probably goes for the stall.

That stall will never be open again...
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1720 on: April 02, 2024, 09:18:22 AM »
Kev would probably smile and learn to pretend.

His fly will never be open again.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1721 on: April 02, 2024, 10:26:48 AM »
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

:rollin
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1722 on: April 02, 2024, 10:44:02 AM »
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
And sig'd  :lol
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1723 on: April 02, 2024, 12:38:28 PM »
DT's FB page posted a self video of JP and MP where they said that on the 30th of March they finished "writing and tracking drums".

They remembered how the last album tracked by MP was Black Clouds 15 years ago, to which MP quipped that they did Raw Dog after but yes, the last album was obviously Black Clouds. So, you three people in the world that know the song even exists, happy that MP remembers it's technically his last song before the split?  :D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1724 on: April 02, 2024, 01:03:31 PM »
I think that clearly means that Raw Dog is in the setlist. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1725 on: April 02, 2024, 01:13:25 PM »
DT's FB page posted a self video of JP and MP where they said that on the 30th of March they finished "writing and tracking drums".

They remembered how the last album tracked by MP was Black Clouds 15 years ago, to which MP quipped that they did Raw Dog after but yes, the last album was obviously Black Clouds. So, you three people in the world that know the song even exists, happy that MP remembers it's technically his last song before the split?  :D

I watched that and that's immediately what I came away with, RAW DOG mention!!

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1726 on: April 02, 2024, 01:16:29 PM »

So did anyone grab the wifi password?  :lol
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Trav86

« Reply #1727 on: April 02, 2024, 01:35:39 PM »
Obviously, I’m very excited that Portnoy is back in the band, and they’re making new music with him. But I just want to say that I think we’re really lucky that (for me at least) my favorite band is still making new music, and still at the level they are. So many other great bands are either not making new music, making crappy music, re-recording their old stuff and playing clubs. I’m grateful that they are doing what they’re doing, and just really excited after all these years to still be a fan of this band.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1728 on: April 02, 2024, 01:38:54 PM »
Obviously, I’m very excited that Portnoy is back in the band, and they’re making new music with him. But I just want to say that I think we’re really lucky that (for me at least) my favorite band is still making new music, and still at the level they are. So many other great bands are either not making new music, making crappy music, re-recording their old stuff and playing clubs. I’m grateful that they are doing what they’re doing, and just really excited after all these years to still be a fan of this band.

Amen, brother.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1729 on: April 02, 2024, 01:41:17 PM »
What a lovely little video that is. Warms the cockles.

And yup, loving the grey, John!
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #1730 on: April 02, 2024, 01:50:06 PM »

Let's ALL hope! :metal :metal :metal

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1731 on: April 02, 2024, 01:50:49 PM »

Or they are touring without any new music just playing the same old set over and over again.  DT thankfully keep going and have done so without losing quality of their music. They keep the sets fresh too even if they do pay homage to older stuff, they do a good job making sure the other songs are different keeping things fresh. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1732 on: April 02, 2024, 01:58:12 PM »
Isn't it fun and exciting that it seems like these guys - in their late 50s - can still get excited about something they've presumably done literally 100's of times?   I personally find it exhilarating.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #1733 on: April 02, 2024, 02:04:25 PM »
I could actually see it happening.

Very true Trav! I even took the time to compare how much material they've released (in terms of time, not just number of albums) and it's amazing how they have exceeded many artists who have been around longer than them. So good that they're around and not just writing something just so they have something to tour behind.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1734 on: April 02, 2024, 02:19:56 PM »
I could actually see it happening.

Very true Trav! I even took the time to compare how much material they've released (in terms of time, not just number of albums) and it's amazing how they have exceeded many artists who have been around longer than them. So good that they're around and not just writing something just so they have something to tour behind.

I mean, it's an instrumental, which would give JLB 7 minutes to rest off stage, and it would be a hilarious way to welcome MP back into the band, by playing the last song he recorded with them before leaving the band nearly 15 years ago. Maybe play on the first run of shows this year, but take it out of the next album-tour after DT16 releases. After all, recent DT tours have seen them pull out some hidden gems like "Don't Look Past Me" and "Space-Dye Vest", so why not something as rare and obscure as "Raw Dog"?

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1735 on: April 02, 2024, 02:36:14 PM »
I mean, it's an instrumental, which would give JLB 7 minutes to rest off stage, and it would be a hilarious way to welcome MP back into the band, by playing the last song he recorded with them before leaving the band nearly 15 years ago. Maybe play on the first run of shows this year, but take it out of the next album-tour after DT16 releases. After all, recent DT tours have seen them pull out some hidden gems like "Don't Look Past Me" and "Space-Dye Vest", so why not something as rare and obscure as "Raw Dog"?

-Marc.
Because it's not a "gem"?

I would prefer "all killer, no filler" for this tour.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1736 on: April 02, 2024, 02:45:38 PM »
I guess if they do an evening with, there would be plenty of time to pop in an instrumental to give JLB a break.  I see no reason to choose a different instrumental over Raw Dog personally other than potentially a new instrumental song. I'd enjoy that, but it's still kind of low on my "requests" but I do think it exists somewhere on my "requests" list if I were to make one.  It's not a great song by any means, but I always found bits and pieces of it to be really enjoyable and the fact it was the last MP song before the new stuff comes out gives it some aura over plenty of other songs.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1737 on: April 02, 2024, 02:46:36 PM »
What Hef said. Raw Dog is whatever the opposite of “gem” is.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1738 on: April 02, 2024, 02:48:59 PM »
Even if Raw Dog were considered by most people who have heard it to be great, only about 15 people in each venue would even know what it is, and the rest would be like WTF is this. 

Automatic piss break there, fellas.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1739 on: April 02, 2024, 02:52:46 PM »
No doubt the venue would be like WTF, but thats what happened when they've always played rare songs like the examples listed before.  Even when they performed To Live Forever which I thought would have gotten a decent response, it was crickets and that's an old school song.  I would really really hate if DT kept up the track record of dropping songs because the crowd didn't react a certain way that they've been doing lately.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #1740 on: April 02, 2024, 02:58:06 PM »
Even if Raw Dog were considered by most people who have heard it to be great, only about 15 people in each venue would even know what it is, and the rest would be like WTF is this. 

If MP's in the driver's seat with regards to the setlists, he's not gonna worry if throwing the occasional rare track is gonna confuse people or send some to the bathrooms, and for that I'm glad. If not for his mentality, a good chunk of DT's catalog would have never gotten an airing live, certainly at the very least not beyond the initial tour for the album that the song appeared on.

I wouldn't even be surprised if DLPM made a return to the setlist since it was only played a handful of times on the final leg of the IWaB tour before being dropped. And maybe Stad's favorite, CME, will finally get some air time again, too.

I'm thankful that these are possibilities once again with MP back.

I would really really hate if DT kept up the track record of dropping songs because the crowd didn't react a certain way that they've been doing lately.
Amen!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1741 on: April 02, 2024, 03:23:27 PM »
If MP's in the driver's seat with regards to the setlists, he's not gonna worry if throwing the occasional rare track is gonna confuse people or send some to the bathrooms, and for that I'm glad. If not for his mentality, a good chunk of DT's catalog would have never gotten an airing live, certainly at the very least not beyond the initial tour for the album that the song appeared on.

I wouldn't even be surprised if DLPM made a return to the setlist since it was only played a handful of times on the final leg of the IWaB tour before being dropped. And maybe Stad's favorite, CME, will finally get some air time again, too.

I'm thankful that these are possibilities once again with MP back.

Amen!

That crazy man you hear is ME!!!  :) :) :) :) :)

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #1742 on: April 02, 2024, 04:03:20 PM »
Cover My Eyes is a great song that I would rank in the upper half of the songs written in the 96-97 sessions. From the very limited live coverage it received in the special '98 shows and in early '02, it looked like it worked quite well, and got the public excited. I would bring it back for a tour, just maybe not the "We are back together" tour that will likely happen this/next year.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1743 on: April 02, 2024, 04:14:31 PM »
I guess if they do an evening with, there would be plenty of time to pop in an instrumental to give JLB a break.  I see no reason to choose a different instrumental over Raw Dog personally other than potentially a new instrumental song. I'd enjoy that, but it's still kind of low on my "requests" but I do think it exists somewhere on my "requests" list if I were to make one.  It's not a great song by any means, but I always found bits and pieces of it to be really enjoyable and the fact it was the last MP song before the new stuff comes out gives it some aura over plenty of other songs.

I know darn well Raw Dog would be energetic live. I think it'd come across way better actually in a live setting. And I also would like to see how they would end the song since the real ending they planned was cut.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1744 on: April 02, 2024, 04:24:57 PM »

Just like DLPM? I'm sure the Average DT or even Prog Metal fan wouldn't know that track, and as few B-sides/Non-Album songs that DT have ever released, I feel like a majority of fans who saw them play DLPM were hearing it for the first time when it was played live at their concert.

I know darn well Raw Dog would be energetic live. I think it'd come across way better actually in a live setting. And I also would like to see how they would end the song since the real ending they planned was cut.

Exactly, I feel like it would have some great live energy to it, and has the added uniqueness of being introduced as "The last song Mike recorded with us nearly fifteen years ago before rejoining the band last year! Here's Raw Doooooooooog", and then James walks off stage to dig behind John's cabinets.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1745 on: April 02, 2024, 04:55:01 PM »
Not if they open with it!   :biggrin:
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1746 on: April 02, 2024, 05:00:52 PM »
I wouldn't even be surprised if DLPM made a return to the setlist since it was only played a handful of times on the final leg of the IWaB tour before being dropped.

Except that a certain band member who shall remain nameless was having a hard time performing it :eek
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Trav86

« Reply #1747 on: April 02, 2024, 05:28:01 PM »
Except that a certain band member who shall remain nameless was having a hard time performing it :eek

Give Myung a break! I’m sure he’s been practicing.
Can't we find the minds

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1748 on: April 02, 2024, 05:29:49 PM »
This whole discussion makes me miss Rush even more.

“We’re going to play 80% of our new album, and if you want to sit for most of the show…too bad.”

“I know they’ve always told you selfishness was wrong. Yet it was for me, not you, I came to write this song.”

Those words affected me so deeply when I was young, that I have grown up basically disliking it when a band caters to an audience. I would much rather them do what they wanted to do, whether or not the fans loved it or hated it.

(Edited for punctuation. Why talk to text feels the need to insert random commas is beyond me)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2024, 06:16:18 PM by jammindude »
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Trav86

« Reply #1749 on: April 02, 2024, 06:08:46 PM »
This whole discussion makes me miss Rush even more.

“We’re going to play 80% of our new album, and if you want to sit for most of the show…too bad.”

“I know they’ve always told you selfishness was wrong. Yet it was for me, not you, I came to write this song.”

Those words affected me so deeply, when I was young, that I have grown up, basically disliking it when a band caters to an audience. I would much rather them do what they wanted to do whether or not the fans loved it, or hated it.

Absolutely. And another band, like DT, that has always acted with integrity. Not trying to do something because it was popular, or for a quick buck. Rush being done makes me appreciate DT even more now.
Can't we find the minds