Author Topic: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread  (Read 551703 times)

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread
« Reply #4970 on: December 28, 2020, 09:43:22 AM »
It's interesting how Neal and Mike talk about Americans 'us Americans need to be heard' and both repeated it several times in the podcast, it SEEMS like it is directed to Roine's interview with Rodrigo:

...everyone goes in with kind of an aggressive attitude, especially the Americans, because it’s very American to do that: you take what  you can take. I noticed that Pete and myself, have more laid back personalities. we talk a little less and we’re more humble. And I think I made a decision that this time I’m going to go in really aggressive. I mean not in a negative way, but more like in a positive way, I’m going to put as much Roine in this recording as possible.

https://lotsofmuzik.com/our-interview-with-roine-stolt-from-transatlantic/

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #4971 on: December 28, 2020, 10:57:03 AM »
Still watching the video, but noticed that and my mind went right there as well.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #4972 on: December 28, 2020, 11:44:58 AM »
It's interesting how Neal and Mike talk about Americans 'us Americans need to be heard' and both repeated it several times in the podcast, it SEEMS like it is directed to Roine's interview with Rodrigo:

...everyone goes in with kind of an aggressive attitude, especially the Americans, because it’s very American to do that: you take what  you can take. I noticed that Pete and myself, have more laid back personalities. we talk a little less and we’re more humble. And I think I made a decision that this time I’m going to go in really aggressive. I mean not in a negative way, but more like in a positive way, I’m going to put as much Roine in this recording as possible.

Wow, I watched it, and I think you're right!!!! Do you think they meant it as a joke, or were they upset by what Roine said?

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4973 on: December 28, 2020, 12:30:47 PM »

Wow, I watched it, and I think you're right!!!! Do you think they meant it as a joke, or were they upset by what Roine said?

Can't tell, but, I shared your interview with Mike, he saw my message and ignored me, in the past, he sees my messages and share the articles I sent him, or makes a retweet, or whatever. This time: NADA! I don't think Roine's word sit well with MP, and NM usually is more easy-going with things, but he at least referred to 'US AMERICANS' like 3 or 4 times during the podcast.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4974 on: December 28, 2020, 03:47:46 PM »
I was only able to watch a little of the interview so far (will watch the rest later), but it seemed to me that the "Us Americans" joke was in jest.  I doubt if they were legitimately annoyed by it, they would passively-aggressively make those remarks in a podcast, Neal especially. 

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #4975 on: December 28, 2020, 04:51:23 PM »
Just watched/listened to the podcast and that was fun! Heard some stories and tidbits I'd never heard of before, which was neat! Glad that Neal didn't want to retread a ton of old, well-told stories.

The most interesting bit came at the end, and I can only assume that they're talking about getting together for a new album. I'm thinking the Neal Morse Band might finally get back together and begin writing their next album, but I also wouldn't be surprised if it was Flying Colors. Both bands released their last album in 2019, so it could be either, but I think Mike or Neal alluded to a plan to reconvene the NMB in the summer of 2020, before the pandemic caused lockdown and prevented their reunion.

Either way, if there is new music in the works for either of those bands, I'm definitely excited.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4976 on: December 28, 2020, 08:14:48 PM »
I was only able to watch a little of the interview so far (will watch the rest later), but it seemed to me that the "Us Americans" joke was in jest.  I doubt if they were legitimately annoyed by it, they would passively-aggressively make those remarks in a podcast, Neal especially.

I see what you are saying. But since the joke was made more than one time is what made me believe that Roine’ sword annoyed them. In any case I could be wrong.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #4977 on: December 29, 2020, 01:35:56 AM »
It's possible they were slightly annoyed about it, but decided to just laugh it off. They do mention it in a slightly passive-agressive way, but they laugh about it every time they address it.

Also, the podcast put me in such a good mood last night as I watched it, I felt completely relaxed afterwards. Given that I'm a big fan of Comedians in cars getting coffee, it is a perfect sequel to have Musicians having coffee talking about stuff.  :lol

Offline Pettor

« Reply #4978 on: December 29, 2020, 04:13:39 AM »
Didn't see if this was mentioned but the lack of Sola Scriptura of streaming has been partly fixed since The Door is available now from the Neal Morse Collection. The Door is my personal Neal Morse favorite so I am really happy about this 😁

Offline darkshade

« Reply #4979 on: December 29, 2020, 02:10:58 PM »
None of Neal's stuff is on regular streaming services, except the last 2 albums SG and JCTE, and a handful of songs on that collection album, nor is any of Transatlantic or Neal era Spock's.

I also caught that little bit at the end about reconvening for (likely) new NMB album. I almost hope it's another long double album to complete the TSOAD/TGA trilogy just to see people lose their shit.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #4980 on: December 29, 2020, 02:28:25 PM »
When Mike told Neal "I'll be seeing you soon", I thought they will just get together as pals. They talked about it in such a friendly and casual matter that my mind didn't go to another album right away.  ;D

Offline darkshade

« Reply #4981 on: December 29, 2020, 03:30:40 PM »
When Mike told Neal "I'll be seeing you soon", I thought they will just get together as pals. They talked about it in such a friendly and casual matter that my mind didn't go to another album right away.  ;D

Well Portnoy gave it away when he said, "oh I didn't know if you were going to bring that up during this show" or something to that effect.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4982 on: December 29, 2020, 03:41:50 PM »
I'd love to see another double album from the Neal Morse Band. 

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Your sloth is in another castle
« Reply #4983 on: December 29, 2020, 04:27:48 PM »
I'd love to see another double album from the Neal Morse Band.

Similitude of a THREEm

Offline Mladen

« Reply #4984 on: December 30, 2020, 02:07:42 AM »

Well Portnoy gave it away when he said, "oh I didn't know if you were going to bring that up during this show" or something to that effect.
I heard that and still didn't quite put the pieces together.  ;D

Maybe they're doing something related to Transatlantic, like a music video or something. But if it's The Neal Morse Band, bring it on!

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #4985 on: December 30, 2020, 03:47:54 AM »
None of Neal's stuff is on regular streaming services, except the last 2 albums SG and JCTE, and a handful of songs on that collection album, nor is any of Transatlantic or Neal era Spock's.

I also caught that little bit at the end about reconvening for (likely) new NMB album. I almost hope it's another long double album to complete the TSOAD/TGA trilogy just to see people lose their shit.

All Transatlantic albums are on Apple Music here in Germany!
any rock can be made to roll

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4986 on: December 30, 2020, 11:25:26 AM »

All Transatlantic albums are on Apple Music here in Germany!

And on Spotify in Sweden

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #4987 on: December 30, 2020, 11:45:57 AM »
Spotify Germany too.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline darkshade

« Reply #4988 on: December 30, 2020, 12:03:58 PM »
Well, nothing in the US..
Which doesn't bother me, I have most of his albums and use his Waterfall app.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4989 on: December 30, 2020, 12:18:35 PM »
Yeah, nothing but Flying Colors on Spotify here in the U.S.  And I'm not buying another service just to get Neal.

So I still get his CDs.  No biggie, I guess, but definitely a little annoying.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #4990 on: December 30, 2020, 12:44:45 PM »
And I'm not buying another service just to get Neal.

I'm with you.  $83 and change for the privilege of streaming music from a single artist for a year is quite expensive when you put it up against a service like Amazon Music Unlimited.  For just a little bit more money I can listen to anything I want, from 99% of the groups I'm interested in.  I'd rather just pay $20 every couple of years for his CDs and rip them to my phone. 

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #4991 on: December 30, 2020, 12:52:54 PM »

I'm with you.  $83 and change for the privilege of streaming music from a single artist for a year is quite expensive when you put it up against a service like Amazon Music Unlimited.  For just a little bit more money I can listen to anything I want, from 99% of the groups I'm interested in.  I'd rather just pay $20 every couple of years for his CDs and rip them to my phone.

I thought Waterfall was only $2 99/month, so less than $36 a year.
Either way, despite how you feel about it, it's not "just Neal", but at least everything Neal is a part of, including Transatlantic and Flying Colors. He also throws up some rare and old songs and recordings. I still have my Waterfall subscription, even though I rarely use it, but it's such a small cost that I barely remember I even subscribe to it.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #4992 on: December 30, 2020, 01:13:01 PM »
I don't mind paying for Waterfall because it's Neal's service and it's getting the money to him/them directly rather than going through Apple or Spotify or whatever. I buy the hard copies of all his and MP's, Haken....any band I like's music as well just to try and get them some $$. I love having the Waterfall app and having all the music right there at the touch of a finger. I pay $6.99 a month so $83.88 a year and I think it's completely worth it. It saves the hassle of downloading CD's then transferring that to my phone and so on and it supports my favorite musicians.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4993 on: December 30, 2020, 02:01:27 PM »
Hey, I don't mind that anyone else is going to do it, or why.  I just said that I'm not doing it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4994 on: December 30, 2020, 02:09:58 PM »

Either way, despite how you feel about it, it's not "just Neal", but at least everything Neal is a part of, including Transatlantic and Flying Colors. He also throws up some rare and old songs and recordings. I still have my Waterfall subscription, even though I rarely use it, but it's such a small cost that I barely remember I even subscribe to it.

-Marc.

It's $6.99 per month unless you are a patron - I think he calls it "The Inner Circle" or something.  I give the guy credit for his ideas, I know he makes decent money on that patron thing with several hundred subscribers and I'm sure he does OK with the Waterfall thing too.  I'm just not into forking over money I don't need to fork over.  Why would I pay MORE to stream a bunch of music I already own?  I guess I can see it for someone who has never heard a classic Spock's Beard or Neal Morse album, in that case it might be worth it, but for an existing fan who already owns all of his studio and live releases?  Nah. 

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4995 on: December 30, 2020, 02:11:53 PM »
I don't mind paying for Waterfall because it's Neal's service and it's getting the money to him/them directly rather than going through Apple or Spotify or whatever. I buy the hard copies of all his and MP's, Haken....any band I like's music as well just to try and get them some $$. I love having the Waterfall app and having all the music right there at the touch of a finger. I pay $6.99 a month so $83.88 a year and I think it's completely worth it. It saves the hassle of downloading CD's then transferring that to my phone and so on and it supports my favorite musicians.

You think it's worth $83.88 to save a couple of hours of ripping CDs you already own to your phone?  Not sure I follow that logic.

Supporting the artist is fine, it's your money.  I'm just not into paying for stuff I already have.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4996 on: December 30, 2020, 03:31:31 PM »
Yeah, I am with you on that.  I own all of the Neal stuff that I think is worth owning (which is almost all of it, with the worship stuff on the outside looking in), so I don't need Waterfall.  I don't care about demos or a random live version that you can't hear anywhere else.  I don't listen to any streaming service, and if I did, I can't imagine listening to one dedicated to a single artist, even one like Neal whose work is spread out over multiple projects/bands. 

And to be completely honest, I am so turned off by how awful Radiant Records is now that it makes me less likely to want to spend on the little things when it comes to Neal and his work.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #4997 on: December 30, 2020, 04:41:38 PM »

-Marc.

It's $6.99 per month unless you are a patron - I think he calls it "The Inner Circle" or something.  I give the guy credit for his ideas, I know he makes decent money on that patron thing with several hundred subscribers and I'm sure he does OK with the Waterfall thing too.  I'm just not into forking over money I don't need to fork over.  Why would I pay MORE to stream a bunch of music I already own?  I guess I can see it for someone who has never heard a classic Spock's Beard or Neal Morse album, in that case it might be worth it, but for an existing fan who already owns all of his studio and live releases?  Nah.

For me, it's been cool to check out the stuff I don't have, like his (mostly) non-prog albums, his many live albums which I own only one Transatlantic live album, (London 2010) and the rare stuff that's on there. I don't know if I plan on keeping the subscription all year long, though.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #4998 on: December 30, 2020, 05:45:20 PM »
I just got the Waterfall app and I’m digging into Neal Morse’s solo work and the old Spock’s Beard material for the first time. I’ve been a Transatlantic fan since Bridge came out. Should I start at The Light and just work my way up? Should I start with Testimony?  Wish me luck!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 05:50:28 PM by Trav86 »
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Online DTA

« Reply #4999 on: December 31, 2020, 02:07:36 AM »
I just got the Waterfall app and I’m digging into Neal Morse’s solo work and the old Spock’s Beard material for the first time. I’ve been a Transatlantic fan since Bridge came out. Should I start at The Light and just work my way up? Should I start with Testimony?  Wish me luck!

Old SB has some of Neal’s most interesting writing. The Light is a great starting spot but each album is a lot of fun to listen to (except Snow imo).

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5000 on: December 31, 2020, 03:23:28 AM »

I would go in chronological order.  Start with The Light and go from there.  You'll finish the Spock's Beard era with Snow and then move on to Testimony 1, just get ready to be lyrically bludgeoned with his religion when you get to his solo stuff.  The first couple of albums are positively dripping with Christian themes.  I mean, really all of his solo work from Testimony on is very, very religious.  It was a challenging adjustment for me because a lot of it is very off-putting for this confirmed atheist.  But his music is so good that I'm willing to ignore the lyrics.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5001 on: December 31, 2020, 08:28:43 AM »
Work begins on the next Neal Morse Band album next Monday, as confirmed by Neal this morning.

:metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #5002 on: December 31, 2020, 08:29:49 AM »
Work begins on the next Neal Morse Band album next Monday, as confirmed by Neal this morning.

:metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

Great news :metal

Hopefully not another Similitude/Great Adventure sequel, though :P
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline darkshade

« Reply #5003 on: December 31, 2020, 08:58:38 AM »
Great news. Neal is pumping out a lot of music the last couple of years or so.

Old SB has some of Neal’s most interesting writing. The Light is a great starting spot but each album is a lot of fun to listen to (except Snow imo).

I would start at The Light and go chronologically. The Light is a very strong album, IMO their best album aside from V.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #5004 on: December 31, 2020, 09:15:47 AM »
You think it's worth $83.88 to save a couple of hours of ripping CDs you already own to your phone?  Not sure I follow that logic.
Supporting the artist is fine, it's your money.  I'm just not into paying for stuff I already have.

Agreed, especially if you already have the CDs ripped to the computer/iPod/phone. I would never subscribe to a Dream Theater app as I have most of their catalog, and what I don't have is mostly non-essential stuff I wouldn't listen to much anyway, and new stuff I would just buy if I wanted to listen to it.
It works for bands with large catalogs, too, such as jam bands if you're into them, like Phish and Umphrey's McGee where you might not own a copy of every show they have officially released, which also might not be available on regular streaming services.

However, to me, if you just have access to all that music with something like Spotify, it is easy to listen to something, then move on to the next, and not go back to anything, or rarely do so. So I still purchase music when I find something I really enjoy. I've found that the more music I hear, the less impressed I am with anything, especially 21st century music in the rock, metal, pop and related areas. A lot of stuff has little staying power to me, so it's nice to not commit $$$ for music I'm going to listen to a few times then throw on the shelf for perpetuity. Once in a while, however, I find something that pops out to me, so I buy that, which is rare these days. For example, I haven't bought the last 2 Haken albums because the first one didn't do much for me after a few listens and I never bothered with the most recent as I've read they're like companion albums. Without streaming, I would have bought two albums I don't like very much, which I've done all too often throughout my life. Sure I would likely have given them a few more tries if I did buy them, but I've heard enough music at this point that I basically know what I like, and Haken took a left turn I wasn't into (they were already losing me after The Mountain, but I digress..)

But I'm not into people buying a streaming subscription like Spotify and never buying anything else to support the artists. I like the idea of buying the CD then mostly listening on Spotify to keep supporting the artist, which is more than if I listened exclusively on my iPod.