Author Topic: Doctor Who v. Patrick Troughton  (Read 117913 times)

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Re: Doctor Who v. Patrick Troughton
« Reply #805 on: October 17, 2015, 05:08:04 PM »
While I did enjoy those two stories more than this one, I do think that an entire season of that feel would also not be something that I would be in favour of. I mean, they were pretty dark throughout, and while the darker stories tend to be my favourites, I do recognise that some more light-hearted stuff is necessary for a season to work as a whole.

And yes, miles better than Robot of Sherwood. Not that that's hard. :P
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 05:18:30 PM by Scorpion »
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #806 on: October 17, 2015, 05:09:20 PM »
I dunno. I'd love for Capaldi's Doctor to be really dark. Just not as dark as "Miracle Day" :P

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #807 on: October 17, 2015, 06:55:28 PM »
Go back and fix Donna :(

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #808 on: October 17, 2015, 10:34:18 PM »
Definitely the weakest of the season for me so far, but not a bad episode.

I just saw the 500 year diary the other day in The Power of the Daleks, so that was a nice reference with the 2000 year diary. I was happy to see the sonic glasses get crushed right away, so I'm hoping they don't return. :lol

The story was kinda average. It felt a bit rushed after The Doctor came up with the plan. I also don't like what they're doing with Clara this season. I'm sure this is all related to this being her final season and is leading to whatever they have planned for her sendoff, but given that there's a vocal subset of fans who seem to hate her, it's not a good direction.

I also felt that after the initial attention brought to his face in Deep Breathe, his revelation in this episode was a bit of a letdown. It was cool as a callback, but is that it? His face was just a reminder? Is that even something he needed to be reminded about when he regenerated?

The best part of the episode was turning Maisie Williams immortal, but from the trailer for next week, the payoff doesn't seem all that interesting.

Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #809 on: October 18, 2015, 01:02:37 AM »
Loved the episode, not better than the first four, but still really good and proving that this season could potentially be the best yet.

Loved the last 20 minutes of the episode especially, the emotional drama was heightened very well.

And Blob, you can't tell anything from a trailer, I'm sure they payoff will be better than you expect...

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #810 on: October 18, 2015, 01:24:05 AM »
And Blob, you can't tell anything from a trailer, I'm sure they payoff will be better than you expect...

I'm sure it will be, I'm only judging the trailers (the one at the end of the episode, and one on Youtube). I thought Under the Lake would be boring based on the trailer, and thought that was a great episode.
The trailers actually showed very little in general, and basically nothing of how Maisie Williams' character is actually of importance. But in this newest episode, The Doctor had that strange reaction when he first saw her, plus the bit we saw in the original S9 trailer when he sees her, so they're probably intentionally holding back.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 01:29:11 AM by BlobVanDam »

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #811 on: October 18, 2015, 03:56:51 AM »
This episode was super silly. I got some serious Monty Python vibes when "Odin" showed up in the clouds, which in this case, wasn't a good vibe. Didn't really dig this one, and thought it was a bit of a waste of Maisie Williams.

Although, the final scene, with the camera spinning around her with ages going by behind her was awesome. That blew me away. But not much else.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #812 on: October 18, 2015, 04:00:15 AM »
Well it was expected after the first 4 episodes.

It'll probably go back to that. I hope anyway :P

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #813 on: October 18, 2015, 04:26:48 AM »
Didn't really dig this one, and thought it was a bit of a waste of Maisie Williams.

I think of this episode as more of a set up for her character, so I'll reserve judgement on that one until the next episode where we get the payoff. But she was an important character to the episode, and the fact she's in GOT doesn't make her any more important than any other guest star for me.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #814 on: October 18, 2015, 04:37:38 AM »
I also don't like what they're doing with Clara this season. I'm sure this is all related to this being her final season and is leading to whatever they have planned for her sendoff, but given that there's a vocal subset of fans who seem to hate her, it's not a good direction.
I genuinely don't know what this means - what direction are they taking her? And there's a vocal subsection of fans that hates literally everything, so Moffat and co have the right approach in just ignoring that and telling the stories they want to tell.

I also felt that after the initial attention brought to his face in Deep Breathe, his revelation in this episode was a bit of a letdown. It was cool as a callback, but is that it? His face was just a reminder? Is that even something he needed to be reminded about when he regenerated?
I didn't think it was a letdown at all, I thought the idea behind it was excellent and is something that the show touches on from time to time.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #815 on: October 18, 2015, 07:37:17 AM »
I also don't like what they're doing with Clara this season. I'm sure this is all related to this being her final season and is leading to whatever they have planned for her sendoff, but given that there's a vocal subset of fans who seem to hate her, it's not a good direction.
I genuinely don't know what this means - what direction are they taking her? And there's a vocal subsection of fans that hates literally everything, so Moffat and co have the right approach in just ignoring that and telling the stories they want to tell.

Her character is beginning to validate some of the bitching. She's becoming smug and acting like she's as clever and important as the Doctor, stepping in for the big speeches, and speaking in place of the Doctor. It's becoming a bit grating. I still like her, but it's starting to irk me.

After rewatching the two trailers for next week, I notice a couple of things. First of all, the sonic glasses appear to be fixed (damn). More importantly, they don't show anything of Clara at all from what I could see. I'm very curious as to why that is.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #816 on: October 18, 2015, 07:39:46 AM »
Her character is beginning to validate some of the bitching. She's becoming smug and acting like she's as clever and important as the Doctor, stepping in for the big speeches, and speaking in place of the Doctor. It's becoming a bit grating. I still like her, but it's starting to irk me.

I must say I agree with this.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #817 on: October 18, 2015, 02:31:54 PM »
They're setting Clara up as a pseudo-Doctor because something very bad is going to happen as a result of her become more calloused and Doctor-ish. I'm all for it.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #818 on: October 18, 2015, 02:38:51 PM »
They're setting Clara up as a pseudo-Doctor because something very bad is going to happen as a result of her become more calloused and Doctor-ish. I'm all for it.

Missy's Companion.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #819 on: October 18, 2015, 09:19:42 PM »

I get that feeling, although I'm not happy about it. :lol But it definitely seems they're setting her up for a fall, and The Doctor is going to feel bad about it.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #820 on: October 19, 2015, 08:20:30 AM »

I get that feeling, although I'm not happy about it. :lol But it definitely seems they're setting her up for a fall, and The Doctor is going to feel bad about it.

Maybe we find out that The Doctor put one of those immortality thingies in Clara's bonce and now he's wondering if he did the right thing.

Or he injected it with some Time lord regeneration energy and Clara will be the next Doctor. . .

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #821 on: October 24, 2015, 01:04:36 PM »
Just caught up on last week's episode. Definitely not as good as the first four, but if it turns out to be the weakest episode of the series (fingers crossed), Series 9 will be my favourite series so far. Looking forward to the next episode, only 15 mins left, yay!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #822 on: October 24, 2015, 01:08:32 PM »
I don't have TV so i'm waiting for it on the iPlayer.

Offline Onno

« Reply #823 on: October 24, 2015, 02:08:41 PM »
You can watch it live using iPlayer, can't you?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #824 on: October 24, 2015, 02:43:21 PM »
You can watch it live using iPlayer, can't you?

Not supposed to. you're meant to have a tv licence to watch live tv.

Offline Onno

« Reply #825 on: October 24, 2015, 03:22:32 PM »
Ah, I understand.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #826 on: October 24, 2015, 04:12:36 PM »
Hang about.

Tonight's episode. The place the Doctor gets out of the TARDIS looks exactly the same place he gets

out at the start of the previous episode.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #827 on: October 24, 2015, 08:24:25 PM »
I thought this was the best episode of this season.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #828 on: October 24, 2015, 11:33:41 PM »
A bit better than last week's episode, but still nothing on the first four. While last week's episode had a very rushed pace at the end for the sake of Ashildr's character, this week's episode had a somewhat slow pace in the first half for the sake of Ashildr's character.

I thought the idea for Ashildr's character was really good, but for a two part episode, they just didn't do anywhere near enough with the idea. This double episode was why I was worried about a season that relied so heavily on two parters. Instead of getting one weaker episode, you get two in a row instead. It wasn't actually bad, but at no point was I invested in the episode, it just felt like it was going through the motions to finish her arc.

It was also weird for The Doctor to go on an adventure without Clara. Her absence was kind of random. I'd like to see Ashildr return at some point though so they can develop the idea better, since technically she could be in any time period after the initial encounter now.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #829 on: October 25, 2015, 03:40:44 AM »
Yeah, defintetly better than last week, although not as good as the first four.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #830 on: October 25, 2015, 05:19:57 AM »
A bit better than last week's episode, but still nothing on the first four. While last week's episode had a very rushed pace at the end for the sake of Ashildr's character, this week's episode had a somewhat slow pace in the first half for the sake of Ashildr's character.

The hangman scene was extremely rushed. "Swift" didn't seem at all bothered about dying and his joy at being alive afterwards was unwarranted.

Then Ashildr went from not caring about anyone to suddenly caring about everyone and then just using her immortality device. So that's the end of that plot thread !

But hey - they can't all be as good as the first four.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #831 on: October 25, 2015, 05:38:40 AM »
While I thought this was the least good 2-parter so far this season, there was still lots to enjoy and some great stuff. Some of the comments here are a bit strange.

"Swift" didn't seem at all bothered about dying
How so? He was joking precisely because he knew that as long as he kept the crowd laughing he remained alive. He was definitely bothered.

and his joy at being alive afterwards was unwarranted.
See above.

Then Ashildr went from not caring about anyone to suddenly caring about everyone
Well, yes, that was the whole point. The Doctor knew that she didn't really not care about anyone. It wasn't a sudden change, it was a sudden realisation.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #832 on: October 25, 2015, 06:02:19 AM »
The story was little more than window-dressing and there were quite a few logical inconsistencies and an utterly replaceable Generic Alien Threat/InvasionTM, but I felt that none of that mattered, because Ashildr was at the heart of this episode and she was brilliant. The interaction between her and the Doctor was spot-on. Maisie Williams is a brilliant, brilliant actress.

Still my least favourite two-parter from the season, but that's mainly because the first two were so good - this season is shaping up amazingly and I look forward to what Moffat does with next weeks Zygon story. I really like the slower pacing that the two-parters bring to Season 9, and I hope that it will continue in the future, though some single-parters might be good idea too - actually, in terms of single-parters/two-parters, I found the first five seasons to be pretty much perfect.

1. Under the Lake/Before the Flood
2. The Magician's Apprentice/The Witch's Familiar
3. The Girl Who Died/The Woman Who Lived

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #833 on: October 25, 2015, 09:06:35 AM »
]Well, yes, that was the whole point. The Doctor knew that she didn't really not care about anyone. It wasn't a sudden change, it was a sudden realisation.

Not the fact that it happened. Just the length of time it took to happen. Which I know is my usual gripe with these things. :D

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #834 on: October 25, 2015, 08:45:21 PM »
People complaining about this episode feeling weak when we just had a season with "In the Forest of the Night" are kind of confusing me. I thought this was a great episode, a great character piece, too. It's nice when the threat/problem is second to the character development and interaction sometimes. I thought Maisie was brilliant, and setting her up like they have means there will be a definite return.

Also, yay for the Captain Jack shoutout. I would love him to return to the show.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #835 on: October 25, 2015, 08:57:15 PM »
An episode can be weak without being "In The Forest of the Night" weak. That was the benchmark of bad!  :lol

If these last two episodes are as weak as the season gets, then it's still on track to be the strongest season of the modern series. I don't see people hating on these episodes, it's more that the first four episodes were so strong, so it's only a relative measure. :tup

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #836 on: October 26, 2015, 02:02:32 AM »
It's nice when the threat/problem is second to the character development and interaction sometimes.
Agreed, and usually I'm not all that interested in what the threat is in Doctor Who. Perfect example: Vincent and the Doctor. Absolutely rubbish monster, but superb episode, one of the very best.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #837 on: October 26, 2015, 02:14:34 AM »
I'd say Love and Monsters is the example of a bad DW episode. Forest of the Night is Citizen Kane compared to that.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #838 on: October 26, 2015, 02:22:10 AM »
I'd say Love and Monsters is the example of a bad DW episode. Forest of the Night is Citizen Kane compared to that.

That's kinda splitting hairs imo. :lol They're both total crap.
There's just something about Doctor Who and kids that does not mix. Forest of the Night, Fear Her, Night Terrors, I'm sure there are more. Kids ruin everything. :getoffmylawn:

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #839 on: October 26, 2015, 02:29:16 AM »
I didn't actually hate Night Terrors, but it was definitely a weaker episode, even in Season 6, probably only better than The Curse of the Black Spot and maaaaaybe Let's Kill Hitler.