Author Topic: What Shows are you currently watching?  (Read 219768 times)

Online faizoff

Re: What Shows are you currently watching?
« Reply #3675 on: April 22, 2024, 09:25:13 PM »
I really liked it. Not a super intense show and definitely knows how seriously it should take itself.

I just finished binging the show and caught up to the 3rd season! I personally love the show and Alan Tudyk is great on it. I read that the comic book is a lot more straight forward drama type and the show was changed to be more comedic due to Alan's portrayal of the Alien. I find the show hilarious and really hope it gets picked up for a 4th season.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Harmony

« Reply #3676 on: April 28, 2024, 06:14:58 PM »
I think this show has been discussed before on this thread but I'm not going back just because I'm late to the party.

I'm nearly finished with the 3rd and final season of Reservation Dogs on Hulu.  It has been a damn fine show.  It has made me laugh until I nearly peed.  It has made me cry like a baby.  It has made me think about things I have never thought about before.  The symbolism is intense.  I feel like I need to watch it all again to catch the little bits I've undoubtedly missed.

Amazing cast, great writing.  It is a sneaker that takes a few episodes to get into.  But the payoff is worth the wait.  Highly recommended.
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3677 on: April 29, 2024, 01:08:04 AM »
I loved Reservation Dogs  :tup fantastic show indeed.

Should we have a "Stuff on Disney+" thread? Netflix has one.....
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #3678 on: April 29, 2024, 08:20:41 AM »
Black Sails - yes, it's an older Starz show, but Netflix has it for a while.  I'm digging the first season.

Also have watched the first few episodes of the Bon Jovi documentary on Hulu/Disney+, which has been really good.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3679 on: April 29, 2024, 08:28:05 AM »
Also have watched the first few episodes of the Bon Jovi documentary on Hulu/Disney+, which has been really good.

Same here, watched the first two.

I've always respected Jon the person, he seems a level headed guy, and also takes active part in charities (I believe he has a restaurant to feed the poor where he personally serves dishes from time to time), and he's the one with whom I started as a teenager to dabble my feet in rock foreign music, before eventually going on to heavy metal.

I think it was honest from him to address the vocal problems. Sure, the documentary is staged in their favor, he could use it as a sympathy ploy, he could be just playing the "see? I tried, don't blame me" part, but still, he did address the fact that many people think he sucks live. It was refreshing and human to see him being so vulnerable, feeling the weight of it all - to quote him in the second episode, something so little as his vocal chords are the foundation of a 120 persons organization. 120 people depending on his vocal chords to work fine.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3680 on: April 29, 2024, 09:35:24 AM »
So we started watching The Circle last night.  I previously had not been interested in this reality game show before, but this season they have a contestant that is AI and my gf and I were trying to figure something to watch last night and we got sucked in.  The AI twist is really interesting so far.  It's incredible to see how people have no idea, but tbf, I'm fairly sure I wouldn't figure that out either in their shoes.

So they ended the AI twist and I immediately lost interest in the show.  So lame.  I think the AI was going to be too good.  It was definitely winning people over and it cost someone their game.  I can't take the real people on this show  :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3681 on: April 30, 2024, 06:41:55 AM »

I'm not a fan of the band really, and I'm indifferent on the man himself - sometimes I like him, and sometimes he's a cringy douche - but since I grew up with him I'll probably watch it at some point.

Online faizoff

« Reply #3682 on: April 30, 2024, 07:12:23 AM »
I just finished the Bon Jovi documentary last night, it was really well made. I was a huge fan from Slippery all the way to Crush, kept tabs on them up to The Circle, after that didn't really follow them much. I really liked the structure of the documentary where they talk about the current situation along with the history. I think it's a great series and doesn't really hold back on much of the stuff that went on, all the problems, all the conflicts, etc.. I'm going to go on a deep dive of the discography soon, even having not heard the classics in ages, it's so funny how I remember all the lyrics to them. The anthems they made are truly iconic.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #3683 on: April 30, 2024, 08:25:39 AM »
I really liked the Bon Jovi documentary, though it was a bit long.  The structure was definitely cool, bouncing between his struggles in 2022 and the historical periods of the band.  It made me really appreciate the songs and albums that I love, but rarely listen to anymore, as well as respect Jon in a different light. 

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3684 on: April 30, 2024, 09:12:13 AM »
We watched the first episode of the Bon Jovi doc last night and really enjoyed it! I loved all the history of NJ stuff they talked about since it's all local to me.  Asbury Park is still a hopping music beach town (I'll be at the Stone Pony this weekend).  The doc does seem well made and the current times stuff is quite sad but also eye opening for the struggles he's going through.  I was aware of it, but man, just seeing him struggle is sad.  It certainly makes me think about JLB and makes me wonder what he's doing to try and save his vocals. Also, funny enough I just saw a band called the Slackers do a Bon Jovi cover and they talk about how they were performing in Sayreville and honoring a Sayreville high school grad! The Slackers - Dead or Alive (Bon Jovi) LIVE @ Starland Ballroom Sayreville NJ 4/27/2024

Online faizoff

« Reply #3685 on: April 30, 2024, 03:11:30 PM »
I think this show has been discussed before on this thread but I'm not going back just because I'm late to the party.

I'm nearly finished with the 3rd and final season of Reservation Dogs on Hulu.  It has been a damn fine show.  It has made me laugh until I nearly peed.  It has made me cry like a baby.  It has made me think about things I have never thought about before.  The symbolism is intense.  I feel like I need to watch it all again to catch the little bits I've undoubtedly missed.

Amazing cast, great writing.  It is a sneaker that takes a few episodes to get into.  But the payoff is worth the wait.  Highly recommended.

I too loved Reservation Dogs. It was a fantastic show and I'm hoping they have more shows from the characters of the series as the show creator planned.

Some of the characters of that show are on Resident Alien and that show is a riot too. Actually some parts of Resident Alien give me vibes of Reserrvation Dogs. Both great shows.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3686 on: May 01, 2024, 05:04:35 AM »
I just finished the Bon Jovi documentary last night, it was really well made. I was a huge fan from Slippery all the way to Crush, kept tabs on them up to The Circle, after that didn't really follow them much. I really liked the structure of the documentary where they talk about the current situation along with the history. I think it's a great series and doesn't really hold back on much of the stuff that went on, all the problems, all the conflicts, etc.. I'm going to go on a deep dive of the discography soon, even having not heard the classics in ages, it's so funny how I remember all the lyrics to them. The anthems they made are truly iconic.

I really liked the Bon Jovi documentary, though it was a bit long.  The structure was definitely cool, bouncing between his struggles in 2022 and the historical periods of the band.  It made me really appreciate the songs and albums that I love, but rarely listen to anymore, as well as respect Jon in a different light.

I agree with these sentiments.

It's been a roller coaster with Bon Jovi for me. As I previously said, he was my proper introduction to foreign and heavy rock music in 1994 when I was a teen (I'm born late November so I was still 14 when Always came out). Bon Jovi and Guns n' Roses kept me company for a year (but I always loved Bon Jovi more than GNR), and then in 1995 I was introduced to Iron Maiden (and shortly after Metallica) and my destiny as a metalhead was sealed.

So with Bon Jovi I went through the adoration phase, to the "I don't need this commercial stuff anymore 'cause now I got heavy metal" edgy phase, to then come back to him with a bit more of musical maturity.... and with the added bonus of understanding better the lyrics  :lol it was thanks to the attempt to understand and translate Maiden and Metallica lyrics that my english knowledge skyrocketed, can you imagine how hard it is for a teen who still is not good with the english language to try and understand Bon Jovi's americanisms and pronunciation? it was only years later that with a better knowledge of english I finally understood some lyrics  :lol "aaaah, so THAT's what it meant!!"....

I dropped off the wagon after Crush / Bounce and at a certain point I didn't even bother with new albums anymore, accepting that he was all about tame rock dad. But the love for those songs that were the necessary foundation to become a metalhead will always remain, and also the respect for the guy as Grappler said. Like Alice Cooper, he's one of those who are trying to give back something and it's cool as hell that someone who is accustomed to screaming fans (often female) all around big stages is willing to show up and serve poor and homeless people a meal.

I respect also how he was candid about his vocal struggles, and that Ritchie not only agreed to take part in the documentary, but that he was a class act about it and even apologized for the way he left the band.

And I got a good chuckle when, listening over the tapes of the ending of Livin' on a Prayer, Jon remarked "you know, I have few regrets, but that key change is one of them. How the hell are you supposed to sing like that in your sixties? nobody can!!!!"  :lol