Author Topic: The Dark Knight Rises  (Read 218910 times)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Re: The Dark Knight Rises
« Reply #1225 on: July 24, 2012, 10:38:56 AM »
I thought there was the perfect amount of focus on Bruce Wayne/Batman.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #1226 on: July 24, 2012, 11:27:17 AM »
I don't think he does. TDKR wasn't confusing at all. And people say Inception is way more complicated than it actually is.

This. Especially Inception. Both my sister and my mother still don't understand it, despite me explaining the plot-and the MOVIE explaining the plot-to the point that I think people enter Nolan movies with the notion it has to be terribly complex and tricky to understand.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1227 on: July 24, 2012, 11:28:57 AM »
yea TDKR is pretty much spelled out for the audience

Offline Ħ

« Reply #1228 on: July 24, 2012, 12:14:50 PM »
I can get how TDKR could be complicated if you're not very good at paying attention, or if you don't remember much from the two previous movies.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1229 on: July 24, 2012, 12:15:48 PM »
I don't even think you have to remember much from the other movies. Whenever something is referenced, they cut to a flashback for your convenience.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #1230 on: July 24, 2012, 12:19:48 PM »
There's a lot that would be misunderstood about the League of Shadows, I think, if you never saw BB.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1231 on: July 24, 2012, 12:24:13 PM »
i haven't seen batman begins in a LONG time, but i went back and watched last night. totally forgot little things like bruce's mom's pearls selina steals in TDKR. wish i did a rewatch of the frst two before i saw TDKR. those little things are cool

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1232 on: July 24, 2012, 02:26:40 PM »
There's a lot that would be misunderstood about the League of Shadows, I think, if you never saw BB.

Maybe if you never saw BB, but the last time I saw it was in theaters, so even if you forget stuff I don't see how it's a problem. I understood TDKR just fine. It's just some of the plotting itself was somewhat clumsy.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1233 on: July 24, 2012, 03:19:48 PM »
A lot of people label just about any film that requires you to pay attention and actually think as a mindfuck.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #1234 on: July 24, 2012, 05:50:05 PM »
yea TDKR is pretty much spelled out for the audience

But that didn't ruin the movie for me.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1235 on: July 24, 2012, 05:54:20 PM »
Finally saw the movie and now have read most of the last few pages.

I loved it personally. TDK had two things going for it that this movie didn't, one was The Joker, one was the message of the film which was stronger than this one. But I thought this movie was amazing. I didn't see the twist coming, which I guess according to some of you makes me a complete idiot, cool, just means I enjoyed it more.

However I would have only changed one thing. And that is making Blake's name Robin. His name could have stayed Blake whatever and it would have been fine.

I actually thought for a while that Batman's back had been broken and that Blake was going to find the gear and become Batman to fight off Bane. But it worked out fine the way it did.

Also felt like the passage of 5 months felt way too rushed. It might have been good to make this movie a 2 parter, with this one ending when Bane takes over Gotham, then the sequel being the rest of it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #1236 on: July 24, 2012, 07:09:42 PM »
A lot of people label just about any film that requires you to pay attention and actually think as a mindfuck.
This.

Most people almost make it seem like they have incredibly short attention spans. I was able to understand and enjoy TDKR when I watched it today. Such a great movie. Although with these movies, it'll take multiple views before you catch all the little subtle things that link the three movies together (such as the pearls, etc).
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Online Adami

« Reply #1237 on: July 24, 2012, 07:11:59 PM »
The only part of the movie that I am choosing to interpret another way than strictly as it was presented was when Bruce was climbing out of the cage without a rope and the bats all flew out. I chose to believe that those bats were merely an allusion to his fears and not actually there.

But the ending? Well I think it's obvious that it was all in the 6th level of the dream and that Leo Decaprio was actually Alfred the whole time.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1238 on: July 24, 2012, 07:13:36 PM »
Directed by Charlie Dominici.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1239 on: July 24, 2012, 08:22:13 PM »

It's not that I couldn't follow the plot, or didn't understand the ending. I just thought there were too many unnecessary side plots/characters, and that the excess hurt the movie's potential. 
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #1240 on: July 24, 2012, 08:44:33 PM »
The only part of the movie that I am choosing to interpret another way than strictly as it was presented was when Bruce was climbing out of the cage without a rope and the bats all flew out. I chose to believe that those bats were merely an allusion to his fears and not actually there.

Yup. I noted that earlier. I'm not definitive with a belief one way or the other, but I like ambiguity for it.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #1241 on: July 24, 2012, 09:02:37 PM »
Either way, the bats were a thrilling addition. They were completely unexpected and basically doubled the intensity of the moment.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1242 on: July 24, 2012, 10:21:45 PM »

To be fair, it's sometimes hard to understand all the ins and outs of a film when your first viewing is mainly focused on enjoyment rather than analysis of all the details. And unless you're a film critic, your first viewing is probably almost entirely about entertainment.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #1243 on: July 24, 2012, 11:03:32 PM »
Just got back from my second full viewing. Holds up well. The small gripes I initially had are pretty much gone. What works in the film far outweighs what doesn't. I still wouldn't put it quite up there with Dark Knight, but it may be a bit above Batman Begins. It's tough to rank all the Batman films together, as I have as much affection for Burton's films as I do Nolan's. But if I were hard pressed, it may look like this:

Batman Returns
Dark Knight
Batman
Dark Knight Rises
Batman Begins
------------------
Batman Forever
Batman: The Movie
Batman & Robin

All above the line are pretty much solid 5/5. The ones below are 3/5 or less.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1244 on: July 25, 2012, 05:06:28 AM »
 The Batman/Catwoman dynamic just fascinates me to no end, thus leaving Rises and Returns at the top of list. and oh my god, that part in Returns where Batman and Catwoman come to the Masquerade ball and their costumes are Selena Kyle and Bruce Wayne. That's who they are pretending to be. Brilliant.

1. Batman Returns
2. Dark Knight Rises
3. Batman 89
4. Batman Begins
5. Dark Knight
---------------------
6. Batman Forever
7. Batman and Robin
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 06:32:40 AM by Phoenix87x »

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1245 on: July 25, 2012, 05:44:03 AM »
for my money

TDK
Batman
Batman Returns
TDKR
Batman Begins
Batman Forever

Batman & Robin

I rank Batman as high as I did because for those of us that saw it in 89 in the theater's, the hype for this was out of this world.  Bear in mind at that time, the only perspective of (live-action) Batman was Adam West.  This was mind-blowing at the time.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1246 on: July 25, 2012, 07:33:08 AM »

It's not that I couldn't follow the plot, or didn't understand the ending. I just thought there were too many unnecessary side plots/characters, and that the excess hurt the movie's potential.

So did I, actually, and that's part of where some of my criticism of the overall film stems from.

To be fair, it's sometimes hard to understand all the ins and outs of a film when your first viewing is mainly focused on enjoyment rather than analysis of all the details. And unless you're a film critic, your first viewing is probably almost entirely about entertainment.

Oh, definitely. I can recall many first viewings of films when I missed important bits of info, particularly during both TDK and TDKR. I just meant that "mindfuck," or any variation of it, is tossed around a lot these days.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1247 on: July 25, 2012, 07:49:26 AM »
The only Burton Batman I've seen is Batman and Robin. I take it that the others were much better?

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1248 on: July 25, 2012, 08:15:31 AM »
The only Burton Batman I've seen is Batman and Robin. I take it that the others were much better?

burton only did batman and batman returns.

i love batman forever, and even batman and robin. mainly because it came out when i was a kid and watched it all the time.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1249 on: July 25, 2012, 08:26:32 AM »

B&R should be stricken from the history books.  Terrible in relation to the first three.  It's kinda like Superman 4.  I would say once you get to the third movie in a series (other than actual planned Trilogy's), the quality diminishes.  By the fourth, 99% of those have jumped the shark ... or nuked the fridge (ironically, from a 4th movie!).  The only 4th movie I can think of that's any good is Die Hard.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #1250 on: July 25, 2012, 08:56:43 AM »
The Batman/Catwoman dynamic just fascinates me to no end, thus leaving Rises and Returns at the top of list. and oh my god, that part in Returns where Batman and Catwoman come to the Masquerade ball and their costumes are Selena Kyle and Bruce Wayne. That's who they are pretending to be. Brilliant.

Yes. This. It's my favorite scene in the film. I didn't appreciate it as a kid, but now it brings a tear to my eye.

I rank Batman as high as I did because for those of us that saw it in 89 in the theater's, the hype for this was out of this world.  Bear in mind at that time, the only perspective of (live-action) Batman was Adam West.  This was mind-blowing at the time.

Absolutely. This times a million. We had never seen anything like it. It's easily the most important film in my life growing up.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1251 on: July 25, 2012, 10:28:43 AM »
Oh, and Michael Keaton > Christian Bale.

I just can't get over Bale's Batman voice.  I know it's been posted before, but this is awesome.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOg3ZE3hNQc&feature=related

Offline MetropolisWatches

• I&W/Awake/SFAM/6 Degrees
« Reply #1252 on: July 25, 2012, 10:54:20 AM »

burton only did batman and batman returns.

I also believe Burton had involvement in Forever as a producer.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1253 on: July 25, 2012, 11:45:13 AM »
for my money

TDK
Batman
Batman Returns
TDKR
Batman Begins
Batman Forever

Batman & Robin

Over-hyped IMO.   I was so psyched for that first movie...and thought it was one of the biggest balls of 'meh' I had ever seen.   BB was the vision I had in my head, and Burton totally blew it.

I rate them:

The Dark Knight
The Dark Knight Rises
Batman Begins

Batman Forever
Batman Returns
Batman

Batman & Robin
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1254 on: July 25, 2012, 12:08:16 PM »

B&R should be stricken from the history books.  Terrible in relation to the first three.  It's kinda like Superman 4.  I would say once you get to the third movie in a series (other than actual planned Trilogy's), the quality diminishes.  By the fourth, 99% of those have jumped the shark ... or nuked the fridge (ironically, from a 4th movie!).  The only 4th movie I can think of that's any good is Die Hard.

I agree. I really enjoyed Die hard 4.0  I thought It was better than 2.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1255 on: July 25, 2012, 12:12:21 PM »
The Dark Knight Rises
The Dark Knight
Batman Begins

Batman Returns
Batman

Batman Forever

Batman & Robin

Online Adami

« Reply #1256 on: July 25, 2012, 12:14:30 PM »
The Dark Knight
The Dark Knight Rises (these two almost being tied)
Batman Begins
Batman Returns
Batman
Batman the Movie
Beetlejuice
Most movies
Batman Forever
Batman and Robin
Every other movie in existence except one
Transformers 2.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1257 on: July 25, 2012, 12:25:40 PM »
The Dark Knight Rises
The Dark Knight
Batman Begins

Batman Returns
Batman

Batman Forever

Batman & Robin

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1258 on: July 25, 2012, 03:26:58 PM »
I was told to post this and direct it at Chino:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3awmpoB6sP4&t=6m43s

Online Adami

« Reply #1259 on: July 25, 2012, 03:32:46 PM »
I was told to post this and direct it at Chino:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3awmpoB6sP4&t=6m43s

Is THAT the redlettermedia guy?!?!?! He's not nearly as old and creepy as I thought.
fanticide.bandcamp.com