Author Topic: The Dark Knight Rises  (Read 218890 times)

Offline ThatcrazyKISSfan

Re: The Dark Knight Rises
« Reply #1085 on: July 20, 2012, 07:26:50 PM »
Great movie, go see it if you haven't yet.  Seriously why are you still here? Go.  NOW

SPOILERS

One Complaint.....Was Miranda Tate even necessary?  Anyone who paid any attention prior to the movie was not surprised with the twist involving her, and even if you weren't, did that add anything to the movie?

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1086 on: July 20, 2012, 08:39:34 PM »
I had no idea about the twist, but I had my reservations about her from the beginning.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1087 on: July 20, 2012, 09:58:49 PM »
To be honest, I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as Dark Knight. It's debatable whether or not it was even better than Batman Begins.

Still, quite entertaining and definitely worth my time.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #1088 on: July 20, 2012, 10:27:12 PM »
Much like Dark Knight, I left the theater with a myriad of emotions. I was certainly thrilled and entertained by what I had seen, but unlike Dark Knight, I did not shed a tear. I got a little glassy eyed at a moment or two, but I was expecting to bawl like a baby. It's safe to say that regardless of how low I attempted to keep my expectations, whatever I wanted to get out of it could not feasibly be met, as the filmmakers goal was not to please me as an individual. They had a story to tell, and it's up to me to decide how I feel about it. After I accepted this and mulled over the few minor qualms I had for an hour or so after the screening, I realized what the issue was: Dark Knight was such a massively tragic film that I feebly expected them to make a film that tried to top it. Don't get me wrong, obviously it has plenty of dire moments of despair, but the tone is far more triumphant and positive than I could have ever envisioned. After realizing this, the emotions I likely should have felt while watching the movie suddenly flooded me. I felt at ease. Nolan's vision of Bruce Wayne and the people of Gotham truly was complete. While it may not have been the most accurate in regard to comic canon, or the direction I might have taken it, there is no denying that it was his vision, front to back. It's a unique odyssey with character names and images that may appear familiar but whom all have a distinct stamp that no other story-teller in any medium has since or likely ever will match. And that's a good thing. This trilogy is it's own entity and deserves to be viewed as such. My gripes for all three films always stemmed from my immediate dissatisfaction with how Nolan chose to take characters so familiar to me and sometimes turn them on their heads. But I should not condemn him for such an act. I should applaud him for succeeding what so many films fail to do anymore and a trait that is so largely missing from story-telling that I sometimes forget that it is a positive attribute: originality.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1089 on: July 20, 2012, 10:42:54 PM »
I really enjoyed it (although don't worry, I found things to complain about too). Look for my blog review for it next Friday.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1090 on: July 21, 2012, 02:00:18 AM »
Loved it.

Thoroughly entertaining and kept building to the confrontation at the end.

SPOILER ALERT !!

I didn't think that Joe Gordon Levitt's character name needed to be what it was - I though it was a bit on-the-nose. But I think he was clearly being set up to take over.

END SPOILERS !!

Anyway - It's a long film - and you want it to be long as it's a slow builder and I actually wanted more at the end.

Offline tofee35

« Reply #1091 on: July 21, 2012, 08:26:21 AM »
SPOILERS

I really liked this movie. I thought JGL's character was a fantastic addition. I actually enjoyed the supporting cast more in this film than in TDK. I thought Catwoman was exactly what she should have been, JGL's character was exactly what his character should be in this age of quasi-realistic superhero movies, and I thought there was more dimension to the returning characters (Alfred, Fox, Gordon). I found myself liking Bruce Wayne/Batman more than in TDK. I do think that the Joker was a better villain than Bain, though. Bain didn't quite steal that show the way the Joker did, but the Bain character was definitely a proper fit for the enormous size of the film.

Overall I felt myself rooting for the good guys in this film. The batman persona was shown just enough. In TDK I just wanted to see what kind of maniacal thing the Joker was up to, and he stole the show. TDKR makes you root for Batman and the city, much like in Batman Begins. I enjoyed that aspect of it.

I was very surprised that they didn't even mention the Joker. I think that undermined the character's impact on the city 8 years prior. I thought for sure they would have a Joker cameo with archive footage or at least explain what happened to him in the dialogue. I'm sure they had their reasons.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #1092 on: July 21, 2012, 09:08:26 AM »
The Joker and Bane are also complete polar opposites in terms of the type of villians they are. Simply put, The Joker can be seen as a representation of chaos. He has no plan, he just makes everything fall into place as events play out. He has no order.

Bane on the other hand is extremely calculated, and precise and has one mission to complete. And I like the way he was portrayed in TDKR. But again, still less interesting than actually watching chaos unfold right in front of our eyes.

I disagree. The Joker has a plan. He has fucked up plan. He wants Batman to kill him. Why? Because he wins if he gets killed. Everything he does is just to drive Batman to the edge and finally kill him. Like he says the TDK, he's an unstoppable force and Batman is an unmovable object. The Joker will never quit until he dies. But, Batman won't kill him, because that's against who he is. However, it's a fucking game to the Joker. That's where the chaos comes in. The means don't matter to the Joker, he only cares about the end result. There is no limit to the death and destruction the Joker will make until Batman finally kills him. He wants to ruin Batman. Chaotic? Sure. Deeply fucked up? Yes. Without a plan? Hell no! He knows what's going on. He just isn't phased by things going differently. Also, if you look at the opening scene of TDK, the heist was COMPLETELY calculated. "No, I kill the bus driver" as he sidesteps.

SPOILERS

The end felt kind of lackluster to me. But, I think it's because I wasn't looking at it like it was the end of a trilogy, I was looking at it like it was the end of the movie. I think in the proper context, I would have enjoyed it more.

Bane was a complete badass. I think the love story between him and that Twat woman almost lessened how awesome Bane was. He shouldn't love anyone. He's a fucking badass.

I also felt the movie was flawlessly paced. I never looked at my watch.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1093 on: July 21, 2012, 09:30:56 AM »
To the contrary, I think that love affair helped to make his character more complicated and therefore more like human life.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #1094 on: July 21, 2012, 09:32:51 AM »
To the contrary, I think that love affair helped to make his character more complicated and therefore more like human life.

I just felt it wasn't needed. But that was the part of the movie that started to get a little cluttered with things going on. It added humanity to Bane, which I didn't quite care for. He was without humanity, so why add some?

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1095 on: July 21, 2012, 09:34:38 AM »
Hey, even monsters can be humans.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #1096 on: July 21, 2012, 09:35:36 AM »
Hey, even monsters can be humans.

Oh, I get that. But in the last 20 minutes of the movie? What's the point?

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1097 on: July 21, 2012, 09:37:54 AM »
Because it rounds out his character with a great sense of finality. You were building up to this character that was born in the prison and was the one child who ever escaped, and then towards the very end of his life you realize that he's been a henchman all along. He was never the forger of his own destiny.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #1098 on: July 21, 2012, 09:39:07 AM »
Because it rounds out his character with a great sense of finality. You were building up to this character that was born in the prison and was the one child who ever escaped, and then towards the very end of his life you realize that he's been a henchman all along. He was never the forger of his own destiny.

Well, I missed that. Again, I think it might have been because of the clutter towards the end of the movie. However, I still think Bane is superior to the Joker in every way. I enjoyed both, but Bane was fucking awesome.

Offline mrjazzguitar

• I play guitar.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • rump horrot
« Reply #1099 on: July 21, 2012, 09:59:40 AM »
Okay this movie was nothing short of amazing. I loved it. IMO, it makes the Begins and Dark Knight look like a walk in the park. Seeing it again today with different friends. IMAX both times -- absolutely exhilarating experience in the theater.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #1100 on: July 21, 2012, 10:13:04 AM »
SPOILERS

I'm starting to see ending conspiracy theories about how Batman was actually dead.  I don't buy it.  Why would Alfred see Catwoman if he was hallucinating?
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1101 on: July 21, 2012, 10:16:17 AM »
Yeah my friend believes Bruce is dead, says it's just like a "dream" or sort of like Alfred's fantasy. It's open to interpretation, just like Inception's spinning top.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #1102 on: July 21, 2012, 10:43:53 AM »
if it was just a dream they wouldn't have put in that note about how Bruce had set the autopilot 6 hours prior to the event happening or whatever.

anyways, amazing movie, maybe even better than the dark knight.

Offline ThatcrazyKISSfan

« Reply #1103 on: July 21, 2012, 10:45:30 AM »
SPOILERS

No it's not open to interpretation.  It's called The Dark Knight RISES.  We see Bruce fixed the Auto-pilot, and more importantly there is no character arc if he dies.  He is willing to die for this cause, we all know that.  We don't know if he can ever RISE out of his haunted life and become at peace with the tragedies he has endured.   

And as for the Joker not being involved at all, it is silly, but since Ledger died, Nolan felt it best to just completely ignore anything to do with The Joker, so from a plot stand point, it is weak, but I believe he did the right thing.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #1104 on: July 21, 2012, 10:51:33 AM »
Yeah my friend believes Bruce is dead, says it's just like a "dream" or sort of like Alfred's fantasy. It's open to interpretation, just like Inception's spinning top.

The funny thing about Inception's spinning top is that Nolan said it didn't mean that it was still a dream, it meant he'd turned his back on what had happened to him and he was moving on. Which is kind of funny in light of the end of Rises.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #1105 on: July 21, 2012, 10:52:18 AM »
Yeah, I don't see anything ambiguous about the ending. Inception was crafted at pretty much every point to make the ending ambiguous. There's nothing in DKR to suggest that the ending isn't what it seems.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1106 on: July 21, 2012, 10:58:57 AM »
Yeah, I don't buy the theory that batman did die.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1107 on: July 21, 2012, 11:16:05 AM »
Never said I agreed with it, just that's what my friend thought.

The funny thing about Inception's spinning top is that Nolan said it didn't mean that it was still a dream, it meant he'd turned his back on what had happened to him and he was moving on. Which is kind of funny in light of the end of Rises.

I don't think I follow.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1108 on: July 21, 2012, 11:22:20 AM »
Excellent film. Not up to par with The Dark Knight, but it's close.

I'll probably write a shitty review on it that no one will want to read.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1109 on: July 21, 2012, 11:43:35 AM »
SPOILERS

I'm starting to see ending conspiracy theories about how Batman was actually dead.  I don't buy it.  Why would Alfred see Catwoman if he was hallucinating?

Spoilers continued

You know, never once did it occur to me that there was anything funny going on with that ending, but my friend today tried so hard to convince me that is was all a dream/hallucination or some Inception shit. I don't buy it either. I love the ending as it is.

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #1110 on: July 21, 2012, 11:47:24 AM »
Excellent film. Not up to par with The Dark Knight, but it's close.

I'll probably write a shitty review on it that no one will want to read.
Please don't.

ily
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1111 on: July 21, 2012, 11:48:37 AM »
Scratch that, I'm definitely going to write a shitty review on it that no one will want to read.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1112 on: July 21, 2012, 11:53:59 AM »
Scratch that, I'm definitely going to write a shitty review on it that no one will want to read.

Don't threaten me bub.  Ok, I'll read it after I see it Monday night.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1113 on: July 21, 2012, 11:56:27 AM »
See that you do. For your own sake.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1114 on: July 21, 2012, 11:57:57 AM »
I'm on vacation and so is my thuggery.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1115 on: July 21, 2012, 07:51:50 PM »

Why would Selina be in Alfred's dream, though.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #1116 on: July 21, 2012, 08:28:56 PM »

Why would Selina be in Alfred's dream, though.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #1117 on: July 22, 2012, 09:34:09 AM »
BIG SPOILERS IN THE QUOTED PART

Quote from: some raging nerd
Some plot holes and things I was thinking during TDKR that made me angry at the movie. I haven't seen a decline in quality from the God tier that is TDK to TDKR since the Star Wars prequels.

How did Bruce get back to Gotham after escaping the pit after we just established he has no money, in a country he isn't familiar with, with no passport. But he manages to not only get back to America but back to Gotham in less than 23 days.

I guess having someone punch exposed vertebrate into your body and doing pushups fixes broken spines in less than five months with no medical equipment.

So 500 Days of Summer just used his intuition to figure out its Batman? What a cop out, it also makes everyone else look like a fucking idiot especially Catwoman cause Bruce is talking like a fifth grader with that "my friend..." bullshit and she still couldn't put it together.

The ending was wrong. Having Batman live ruins all the drama the last 20 minutes spent creating with Bruce's death. Micheal Cains really sad cry was for nothing. Nolan could have just had Cain taking his drink, looking forward and smiling. It's called subtlety, he did it in Inception.

How did Bruce know the bomb was going to go off the day he got back to Gotham? He knew it would be five months sure, but was he keeping a calendar in that cell? How did he even get in the city with all the bridges blown up?

Why didn't the ice break when Batman was on it in that armor but normal people just walking breaks it.

How did 3000 cops who should be tired, hungry and weak after they were trapped underground for five months beat 1000 blackgate prisoners all of Banes men plus crazy Gotham City people who joined Banes side, when the cops had handguns and they had machine guns vantage points and tanks? The cops also finish all this business in less than an hour.

Why were the cops in full uniform looking perfectly fine when they escaped from under ground like they had only been there a day?

How did the Batbike blow up the cars blocking the tunnel? It fucking disintegrated the cars and made a perfect hole.

Bane being revealed as second banana to Talia ruins his character as a total powerful badass and make him a protector rather than a destroyer.

What did the Dent Act do and how did it keep prisoners in longer?

How fucking stupid is Bruce Wayne? How was he funding all those parties of his when his company is going into the ground and he didn't even know? I don't care if you're in your house, he must have saw the paper or heard it on tv. He is a business man.

"We will never willingly cross that ice" next scene willingly crossing the ice. I know the guy made the gesture like he was going to shoot them if they didn't walk, but in the court house I"m pretty sure Gordon thought they were going to get shot and he seemed pretty ok with it.

Why did they do a blood transfusion on the plane? If the body is so burned by the crash that they can't just identify that it's not the scientist by his face then a tiny portion of blood wont do shit. Plus dental records.

Why would Bruce walk with a cane for 8 years instead of just putting that brace on? The doctor say's he has literally no cartilage on any of his joints. My grandma, who is 76, has the same issue and can barley walk because it hurts so bad. And he developed all these problems in 8 years during his time off when he wasn't even leaving his house?

Why did Batman get his face stomped in the first time he fought Bane but after he broke his spine can suddenly overcome Bane during their second encounter? Why didn't any of the hundreds of other guys just shoot Batman when they saw Batman beating up their boss?

Both the main villains had extremely anti climactic deaths, especially Bane after so much build up.

Batman gets stabbed in the side pretty badly by Talia but then he just walks it off and it isn't mentioned anymore.

How did Bruce get the bomb six miles away from the city when he had less than two minutes till it blew up? Was he going 600 miles an hour? Didn't look like he was going that fast. Also fallout from the bomb and tidal wave it would have created would just fuck the city up anyway.

Also, why would he take the time to create a giant fire Bat symbol on a building when a nuke is going to go off. Better yet, how did he do that, with what? How did he even know Gordon was going to be on the ice so he could start the fire right there? Did he happen to have the gas can with him when he saw Gordon and thought it be cooler if he let him start it so Batman made a trail of gas down to the ice? This movie makes no sense.

Many other things are just wrong with this movie, but I'm going to stop cause I just wrote a novel.

I read this on another forum. Holy shit. I am so glad I am able to enjoy movies.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #1118 on: July 22, 2012, 09:39:44 AM »
You know, sometimes you read big critiques of a movie like that and you're like "holy crap, how did I not notice all those massive problems?!" and it totally ruins the movie for you.

This was not one of those times.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #1119 on: July 22, 2012, 09:42:29 AM »
You know, sometimes you read big critiques of a movie like that and you're like "holy crap, how did I not notice all those massive problems?!" and it totally ruins the movie for you.

This was not one of those times.

Yeah, it come off as 100% nitpicky like...did you forget you were watching a superhero movie? Did you realize the running time was nearly 3 hours and some of those "plot holes" really didn't NEED explaining?