Author Topic: Styx appreciation  (Read 84010 times)

Offline Architeuthis

Re: Styx appreciation
« Reply #840 on: September 28, 2021, 08:42:01 AM »
I finally got Crash of the Crown on cd. It's a good album but I'm not blown away. I like Lawrence Gowan a lot, but he's brought too much Beatles influence into the band particularly with this release.  I like The Mission much better, it is more interesting musically and flows nicely.  The new album is just a bunch of short random songs and seems like it is over too soon.
Perhaps it will grow on me.  The new NMB album blows it away imo!   :lol
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #841 on: September 28, 2021, 06:07:33 PM »
So I haven't really listened to a studio Styx album. The only album of them that I had is the Return to Paradise live album which I bought in a CD sale. But because of this thread and the accessibility of Spotify, I decided to listen a Styx album and started with Crash of the Crown.

Wow, I like it.

I don't know how to describe it. It's like I am listening to a cross of non-prog Yes and 1970s Queen with Brian May on lead vocals. Does that even make sense?  :lol So this is what Styx sounds like? I will give the other albums a listen from the most recent to the old.

Nice!  If you like Crash of the Crown, you should love The Mission as well.  :hat :coolio

I finally got Crash of the Crown on cd. It's a good album but I'm not blown away. I like Lawrence Gowan a lot, but he's brought too much Beatles influence into the band particularly with this release.  I like The Mission much better, it is more interesting musically and flows nicely.  The new album is just a bunch of short random songs and seems like it is over too soon.
Perhaps it will grow on me.  The new NMB album blows it away imo!   :lol

Not sure what NMB has to do with Styx :P, but I think the albums are pretty comparable in quality, even if they are very different stylistically.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #842 on: September 29, 2021, 03:02:04 AM »
The reason I compared it with the new NMB album is because I purchased both albums simultaneously a few days ago at the local record store. I listened to the new Styx first, and then the NMB afterwards. I just thought the NMB release is a lot more interesting with better song writing.
Also,  Eric Gillette could easily sit in with Styx and pull off the DD parts of the classic songs on vocals. I think both bands have some similarities in their music..
« Last Edit: September 29, 2021, 03:08:48 AM by Architeuthis »
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #843 on: September 29, 2021, 06:24:15 AM »
True, I think it is a given that Styx has been an influence on Neal especially (some of his keyboard parts over the years have sounded very Styx-ish), and that can sometimes seep into his music for sure, but the rhythm section and guitar playing in NMB is not like Styx really at all, so I think the similarities are likely more on the surface than deeply rooted, if that makes sense. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #844 on: September 29, 2021, 07:15:26 AM »
Architeuthis, if you look back at Kev and my first responses after the 1st few listens we felt similar to you but this album is a true grower.  With multiple spins I really love it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #845 on: September 29, 2021, 08:21:16 AM »
Never heard the first four albums before last week.  Spun the s/t debut, and thought it was pretty good.  Solid even  :biggrin:.  Yeah, the spoken part of MftCM is too long, but the rest of the song is really good otherwise.  I get a lot of Moody Blues vibes out of the 2nd part.  You can certainly here the beginnings of their tremendous vocal harmonies throughout the album, particularly on What Has Come Between Us.

Overall, I give it a B-... maybe a B.  Not sure how much replay value it'll get, but I did find it quite enjoyable.

On to Styx II...
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #846 on: September 29, 2021, 09:51:07 AM »
A Day... yeah, total Deep Purple tribute here.  Or a demo/outtake of a Yes experiment.

You Better Ask .... bigtime early 70s classic rock vibe.  Oh wait, that's exactly what this is.  I mean, this could be the bizarro universe version of Up On Cripple Creek - especially that baseline.

Father OSA ... this sounds like the formation of the Styx sound we know and love.

Earl of Roseland ... musically, it sure sounds like a prequel to Lorelei.  Nice one.

All in all, another good one.  Stronger than the debut - not by a considerable amount, but a noticeable one.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline pg1067

« Reply #847 on: September 29, 2021, 11:05:14 AM »
I just bought a two-CD set that contains all four of the Wooden Nickel albums, so I may go back and pick up from the beginning, but for now I'll do Equinox.

Like a lot of folks around my age (born in '67 and graduated high school in '85), my first exposure to Styx was to the "classic" albums after the fact.  Probably the first three I heard were The Grand Illusion, Pieces of Eight and Paradise Theatre.  Cornerstone, Crystal Ball and Equinox came later.

Light Up:  After coming close on Man of Miracles, you get that classic "Styx sound" right off the bat with this track.  Swirling keyboards/synths with heavy band accenting before jumping into a multi-tracked vocal track of the chorus/intro.  Up-tempo all the way.  DDY lead vocals and he's the only credited writer.  Lyrics are nothing special, but a STRONG opening track.  It feels like the band has really come together as a full unit.

Lorelei:  A bit more of the same (joint composition between DDY and JY).  The track opens a bit more "wimpy" than Light Up, but it grows in intensity pretty quickly.  LOTS of layered vocals -- especially at the end.  Again, the lyrics aren't anything special (generic love song).

Mother Dear:  This is a VERY interesting track.  It's the first of three songs on which John Curulewski got a writing credit.  It's got a fair amount of proggy elements, some heavy parts, and a mixing of major and minor keys.  Also, if Wikipedia is to be believed, lead vocals are shared by JC and DDY.  It's not trading off of vocal parts, but it seems to be both of them singing (mostly in unison) throughout the entire song.  It doesn't even feel like JY does any backing vocals.  Musically, the song strongly evokes a bustling city feel.  It seems to be written from the perspective of a guy who moved to the big city to make it big as a writer and has fallen victim to all that the city has to offer, but now he's returning to his mother's home.

Lonely Child:  By this point it seems pretty clear that DDY got himself a new synthesizer and did a lot of experimenting with it on this album.  After a brief synth intro, this song (another DDY solo composition and lead vocal) moves into a soft verse with acoustic and clean electric guitar with occasional synth accents.  The chorus is heavier and has more of that classic "Styx sound."  Another somewhat generic love song.

Midnight Ride:  With the opening of side 2, we finally get some real JY flavor.  This is JY's only solo composition and only lead vocal on the album.  It's a fairly cheesy lyric about raising hell, and the song is a very straightforward rocker.  After the second chorus, it moves into a half-time bluesy feel, which transitions into a pretty strong guitar solo.

Born for Adventure:  Suite Madame Blue is rightly credited as the best song on this album, but Born for Adventure is grossly underrated.  The track is credited to all three of DDY, JC and JY.  I'm guessing the lyrics were primarily written by DDY, but he may have gotten help from Ronnie James Dio (there's a vibe that reminds me of Rainbow's debut).  Perhaps most notably, this song FEATURES Chuck Panozzo on bass (yes, Styx has a bass player).  Chuck absolutely kills it throughout this song.  There are also some prog elements.  No time changes but lots of tempo changes.  It's an absolute crime that this song hasn't been played live since 1978 (although DDY has played it live with his solo band).

Prelude 12:  This is a short (75 second) solo acoustic piece that functions as an intro to Suite Madame Blue.  A JC solo composition.

Suite Madame Blue:  As noted above, this song is the most well known and best song from this underrated album.  It's credited solely to DDY, and he really made it a tour de force live.  The beginning starts with only acoustic guitar and vocals (with some very subtle bass in the background) and then builds to add a bit more bass.  After the second verse, the full band joins with a simple but strong chorus.  Lyrically, the song is something of a lament for problems plaguing the U.S. in the mid-'70s.  The guitar slowly stars to drop out and we get a synth solo that builds to a frenzy before the guitar kicks in with a HEAVY (for Styx) riff that repeats and eventually adds a four part vocal harmony section that is probably one of my favorite things Styx has ever done (even though it's just the word "America" repeated over and over).  The song ends with a brief and hopeful ending section.

Equinox hit on all cylinders.  The band performed their asses off, the vocals were super strong, and the songwriting was in top form.  Even its weakest track (Midnight Ride) isn't a bad song.  A definite harbinger of things to come and a seriously underrated album.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #848 on: September 29, 2021, 11:06:55 AM »
I just bought a two-CD set that contains all four of the Wooden Nickel albums, so I may go back and pick up from the beginning, but for now I'll do Equinox.

Like a lot of folks around my age (born in '67 and graduated high school in '85), my first exposure to Styx was to the "classic" albums after the fact.  Probably the first three I heard were The Grand Illusion, Pieces of Eight and Paradise Theatre.  Cornerstone, Crystal Ball and Equinox came later.

Light Up:  After coming close on Man of Miracles, you get that classic "Styx sound" right off the bat with this track.  Swirling keyboards/synths with heavy band accenting before jumping into a multi-tracked vocal track of the chorus/intro.  Up-tempo all the way.  DDY lead vocals and he's the only credited writer.  Lyrics are nothing special, but a STRONG opening track.  It feels like the band has really come together as a full unit.

Lorelei:  A bit more of the same (joint composition between DDY and JY).  The track opens a bit more "wimpy" than Light Up, but it grows in intensity pretty quickly.  LOTS of layered vocals -- especially at the end.  Again, the lyrics aren't anything special (generic love song).

Mother Dear:  This is a VERY interesting track.  It's the first of three songs on which John Curulewski got a writing credit.  It's got a fair amount of proggy elements, some heavy parts, and a mixing of major and minor keys.  Also, if Wikipedia is to be believed, lead vocals are shared by JC and DDY.  It's not trading off of vocal parts, but it seems to be both of them singing (mostly in unison) throughout the entire song.  It doesn't even feel like JY does any backing vocals.  Musically, the song strongly evokes a bustling city feel.  It seems to be written from the perspective of a guy who moved to the big city to make it big as a writer and has fallen victim to all that the city has to offer, but now he's returning to his mother's home.

Lonely Child:  By this point it seems pretty clear that DDY got himself a new synthesizer and did a lot of experimenting with it on this album.  After a brief synth intro, this song (another DDY solo composition and lead vocal) moves into a soft verse with acoustic and clean electric guitar with occasional synth accents.  The chorus is heavier and has more of that classic "Styx sound."  Another somewhat generic love song.

Midnight Ride:  With the opening of side 2, we finally get some real JY flavor.  This is JY's only solo composition and only lead vocal on the album.  It's a fairly cheesy lyric about raising hell, and the song is a very straightforward rocker.  After the second chorus, it moves into a half-time bluesy feel, which transitions into a pretty strong guitar solo.

Born for Adventure:  Suite Madame Blue is rightly credited as the best song on this album, but Born for Adventure is grossly underrated.  The track is credited to all three of DDY, JC and JY.  I'm guessing the lyrics were primarily written by DDY, but he may have gotten help from Ronnie James Dio (there's a vibe that reminds me of Rainbow's debut).  Perhaps most notably, this song FEATURES Chuck Panozzo on bass (yes, Styx has a bass player).  Chuck absolutely kills it throughout this song.  There are also some prog elements.  No time changes but lots of tempo changes.  It's an absolute crime that this song hasn't been played live since 1978 (although DDY has played it live with his solo band).

Prelude 12:  This is a short (75 second) solo acoustic piece that functions as an intro to Suite Madame Blue.  A JC solo composition.

Suite Madame Blue:  As noted above, this song is the most well known and best song from this underrated album.  It's credited solely to DDY, and he really made it a tour de force live.  The beginning starts with only acoustic guitar and vocals (with some very subtle bass in the background) and then builds to add a bit more bass.  After the second verse, the full band joins with a simple but strong chorus.  Lyrically, the song is something of a lament for problems plaguing the U.S. in the mid-'70s.  The guitar slowly stars to drop out and we get a synth solo that builds to a frenzy before the guitar kicks in with a HEAVY (for Styx) riff that repeats and eventually adds a four part vocal harmony section that is probably one of my favorite things Styx has ever done (even though it's just the word "America" repeated over and over).  The song ends with a brief and hopeful ending section.

Equinox hit on all cylinders.  The band performed their asses off, the vocals were super strong, and the songwriting was in top form.  Even its weakest track (Midnight Ride) isn't a bad song.  A definite harbinger of things to come and a seriously underrated album.

My ABSOLUTE favorite Styx album. Followed closely by TGI! :hefdaddy

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #849 on: September 29, 2021, 12:16:27 PM »
The Serpent is Rising:

Young Man caught my ear quite nicely … very ELP like in the keyboard solo.  Seems they were influenced by quite a lot of early prog bands.  This was a pretty cohesive song.

Really loved the acoustic intro… er, 1st half .. of As Bad As This.  Then it just got fuckin weird

Winner take all was corny af  22 Years was a nice little rocker - even if the call/response vocal opening was pretty weak. 

The rest... rather unremarkable.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #850 on: September 29, 2021, 12:31:27 PM »
True, I think it is a given that Styx has been an influence on Neal especially (some of his keyboard parts over the years have sounded very Styx-ish), and that can sometimes seep into his music for sure, but the rhythm section and guitar playing in NMB is not like Styx really at all, so I think the similarities are likely more on the surface than deeply rooted, if that makes sense.
Yes indeed!  The keyboards are mostly what I was referring to. A lot of the same type of sounds and chord phrasings along with the soloing. The guitar playing takes a way different approach. 
Also as Kingshmegland said, this new Styx album is a grower. So I will definitely give it a few more spins. The Mission was the same way, I was indifferent to it at first but it became one of my all time favorite Styx albums.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #851 on: September 29, 2021, 12:39:23 PM »

-snip-  But I agree with just about everything.

I used to consider Crystal Ball the first "main sequence" Styx album, with the arrival of Tommy Shaw and the classic lineup.  But I think it's really Equinox where it all came together.  Everything before then seemed to have at least one or two glaring weaknesses, mostly songs that didn't quite work or were otherwise skippable, but Equinox is the first one I can listen to all the way through.  The first of their great albums.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #852 on: September 29, 2021, 12:48:45 PM »
I used to consider Crystal Ball the first "main sequence" Styx album, with the arrival of Tommy Shaw and the classic lineup.  But I think it's really Equinox where it all came together.  Everything before then seemed to have at least one or two glaring weaknesses, mostly songs that didn't quite work or were otherwise skippable, but Equinox is the first one I can listen to all the way through.  The first of their great albums.

Same...and I like Equinox more and more every time I listen to it.

I remember when my friends and I were really getting into Styx, John Curulewski was a total enigma.  Who was this guy?  What happened to him?  Did he and John Rutsey ever play together?  Obviously, the story was pretty mundane.  It's too bad that he died so young and during Styx's hiatus.  If he were still around, I bet he'd have joined them on stage at some point.

"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #853 on: September 29, 2021, 06:26:09 PM »
Curulewski is kind of the forgotten Styx guy, but he was really good.  Prelude 12 sounds very Steve Howe, so I suspect he was the main guy bringing in the prog on those early albums.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #854 on: September 29, 2021, 07:09:45 PM »
Suite Madame Blue has always been a favorite of mine. One of those songs I heard on classic rock radio when I was just getting in to the genre and instantly fell in love with. A song that I didn't know what it was called, or who the artist was, but made me think "Yes! This is everything I have been looking for in music."
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline pg1067

« Reply #855 on: September 30, 2021, 11:37:44 AM »
Curulewski is kind of the forgotten Styx guy, but he was really good.  Prelude 12 sounds very Steve Howe, so I suspect he was the main guy bringing in the prog on those early albums.

Yeah...that's a good point, because some of that disappeared when he left.

Let's do Crystal Ball!

It seems pretty clear that whoever put this package together was going to a restart on Styx's career.  I really liked the inner sleeve with the long biographies.  The bit about how they had so much faith in Tommy Shaw that they named the album after his song seemed cool at the time but now seems super contrived.  James Young is ALMOST an afterthought on this album.  He has only two joint writing credits and only one song where does some, but not all, of the lead vocals.

Put Me On:  I had been prepared for this song by my friend who said it's a real burner, which it is.  It opens with more swirling synths, followed by some classical influenced keyboards and chord progressions.  It then smacks you in the face with the opening, "put me on, I'm your brand new record album."  Probably the only song I've ever heard that speaks from the point of view of a record album (and who better to personify it than JY).  The song then brings it way down with a soft bit, sung by DDY, which is supposed to represent the ebb and flow of an album.  And then the song ends with some heavy riffing and soloing.  Still a favorite of mine.

Mademoiselle:  This is our first taste of Tommy Shaw.  The writing credits are to DDY and Tommy, and Tommy takes the lead vocals.  Lyrically, it's a bit of a vanilla love song, but it's a very solid song.

Jennifer:  Several pages back, I think I described this song as DDY's ode to pedophilia.  It's a VERY '70s song and it's basically about a guy with the hots for a 17-year old girl (certainly not unheard of in rock circles in the mid-'70s) and talking about how she thinks "she's much too young to keep me satisfied," but that only seems to turn him on more.  Strong choruses, though and certainly not a bad song.  Just a little weird.

Crystal Ball:  Tommy Shaw announces his arrival in grand fashion.  Tommy wrote and performed an early version of this song with his prior band, Harvest.  Has a very CSN feel to it:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSgV__rqb5o .  The Styx version opens with Tommy playing acoustic guitar and singing by himself.  The structure is verse, verse, prechorus, chorus, and DDY and JY join in with some oohs and aahs for the prechorus, and then the full band kicks in hard for the chorus.  We then get a synth solo over a quiet bed, and then the song kicks into overdrive for a final prechorus and chorus.  The transition right before the final chorus starts is so simple and so well thought through.  The song ends with an excellent electric guitar solo over the same backing as the earlier synth solo.  It's such a well-written song, and hearing the development from how it started speaks volume for the craftsmanship of the band.

Shooz:  This song illustrates the other, rockin' side of Tommy Shaw, and he co-wrote it with James Young.  It's easily my least favorite song on the album, and the best way I can describe it is that it sounds like a ZZ Top song with less "dirty" guitars and much better vocals (from Tommy).

This Old Man:  The first of two DDY songs to end the album.  Not surprisingly given where and how he grew up, Dennis had a fascination with the blue collar worker.  The first half of the song is DDY singing over acoustic guitar, and then it builds to a Broadway-esque middle section before the full band kicks in with a heavier section before an ELP-esque instrumental section (I think it's pretty clear that DDY was a Keith Emerson fan).  The song builds in intensity with a guitar solo and a "majestic" outro section.

Clair de Lune/Ballerina:  For the first 70 seconds of this piece, DDY adapts the Clair de lune section (solo piano) from Claude Debussy's Suite bergamasque.  The "Ballerina" section starts with solo piano and DDY singing, with organ and, eventually, the full band joining.  The song builds in intensity in typical Styx style, and the Broadway influence is heavy throughout.  Styx was never big into odd times, but there are a lot of prog elements in this song (they didn't all disappear with Curulewski), and you can start to hear the grand designs that were ultimately DDY's undoing.  A couple of excellent guitar solos, coupled with some well done "la la" sections bring the song to a close.

Perhaps a slight drop from Equinox, but Crystal Ball is on the same level of quality as Suite Madame Blue, and the addition of Tommy Shaw opened up several new doors for the band.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #856 on: September 30, 2021, 02:11:58 PM »
Nice writeup on Crystal Ball!  Once again, I agree with pretty much all of it.

I always figured Dennis brought the prog to early Styx, and it slowly eroded away as part of the natural evolution of their sound into something that actually sells.  I hadn't considered that Curulweski was also bringing it, and I'm not ruling it out.  But as pg points out, there were still prog elements after he left, and everything seems to point to Dennis.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #857 on: October 01, 2021, 07:11:39 AM »

Jennifer:  Several pages back, I think I described this song as DDY's ode to pedophilia.  It's a VERY '70s song and it's basically about a guy with the hots for a 17-year old girl (certainly not unheard of in rock circles in the mid-'70s) and talking about how she thinks "she's much too young to keep me satisfied," but that only seems to turn him on more.  Strong choruses, though and certainly not a bad song.  Just a little weird.

Sad but true. Read up on David Bowie and Jimmy Page (among others).

But yeah, Crystal Ball is a great record. I think Equinox might a tad better, largely because it doesn't have anything as average Shooz, and its highs overall as just as high, although I do think Crystal Ball is the best song from either album by a hair over Suite Madame Blue.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #858 on: October 01, 2021, 01:47:31 PM »
But yeah, Crystal Ball is a great record. I think Equinox might a tad better, largely because it doesn't have anything as average Shooz, and its highs overall as just as high, although I do think Crystal Ball is the best song from either album by a hair over Suite Madame Blue.

I'm the other way around with those two songs, but there are so many underrated tracks on both albums.

I always figured Dennis brought the prog to early Styx, and it slowly eroded away as part of the natural evolution of their sound into something that actually sells.  I hadn't considered that Curulweski was also bringing it, and I'm not ruling it out.  But as pg points out, there were still prog elements after he left, and everything seems to point to Dennis.

I'm mean...JC wrote Plexiglass Toilet, so we should've known!  And I'm with you...I assumed it was a DDY thing (and he did have some of it, and it did stick around after JC left), but Kev's comment kind lit a light bulb.  "Oh yeah!"

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #859 on: October 04, 2021, 07:43:15 AM »
Just spun Crystal Ball (apparently for the first time ever!).  Nice writeup on it, pg.  I too put it just below Equinox, but there's some really great music there.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #860 on: October 06, 2021, 06:00:55 PM »
Where is the gushing over The Grand Illusion?? ;)

Offline pg1067

« Reply #861 on: October 07, 2021, 10:20:44 AM »
Where is the gushing over The Grand Illusion?? ;)

It's coming.  I've been crazy busy since I did Crystal Ball.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #862 on: October 07, 2021, 05:08:55 PM »
Haven't had too much time on your hands, eh? ;)

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #863 on: October 07, 2021, 08:17:55 PM »
Haven't had too much time on your hands, eh? ;)

:clap: :clap:

Offline pg1067

« Reply #864 on: October 08, 2021, 10:11:27 AM »
Tick tick tick tick tick tickin' away from me.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #865 on: October 08, 2021, 06:00:17 PM »
4:00 on a Friday...let's do this!

The Grand Illusion

Styx released Crystal Ball in October 1976 and proceeded to tour through late March 1977 (about 65 dates).  Setlist.fm says the first show in support of TGI was May 6, 1977, but the album wasn't released until two months later, so who knows if that's accurate.  At any rate, they only had a five week break during which TGI was recorded, and they made the most of that time.

The Grand Illusion:  Come Sail Away was probably the first Styx song I ever heard, and the title track might have been the second.  The song hits you hard right from the start.  The opening root riff plays around with root notes, a major second, and perfect fourths and fifths, so it doesn't quite tell you what the overall tone of the song will be.  At the end of the opening segment and some trademark swirling synths, we blasted vocally by DDY in the guise of a carnival barker.  "Welcome to the Grand Illusion; come on in and see what's happening."  Very much a nod to ELP and Carn Karn Evil 9.  The band then settles in for the verse and chorus, followed by a blistering guitar solo, which I believe is JY.  The intro riff makes a reappearance, followed by the chorus and a more mellow guitar solo.  The song closes with DDY wondering out loud, "who the hell we are."  The intro riff closes out the song.

Fooling Yourself (The Angry Young Man):  This song is credited solely to Shaw, but I have a hard time believing DDY didn't have some significant input.  The song opens with synth riff over a pedal tone and then segues into dueling acoustic guitar and synth.  The song starts out primarily in 6/4 and then moves into what feels to me like 6/8.  The verse is primarily acoustic guitar and drums, with the bass playing octaves.  The synth sits nicely in the background.  Lyrically we hear about a disillusioned and angry young man who is encouraged by the chorus to get up and get back on his feet.  Following the chorus, we get a synth solo in 7/4 and the second chorus.  The opening riff returns followed by a short bridge in 5/8 to get back to the acoustic guitar from the verses, but this time it serves as the bed for a frenetic synth solo.  One of Styx's most popular and well-known songs, it drips with "sneaky" prog elements throughout.

Superstars:  This song is a bit more basic but starts out with a grand chorus talking about reaching for the stars (figuratively).  The mid-tempo verses plod a bit, but not so much as to be borning.  The song is credited to JY, DDY and Shaw, but it's probably one of the lesser songs on this album.  After the return of the intro riff, we get a nice harmony solo by JY and Shaw.  We then get a bit of an odd breakdown in which DDY seems to re-assume the carnival barker role.

Come Sail Away:  What can be said about what is probably Styx's best-known and most popular song.  The beginning is classic DDY cheese.  A very light and breezy piano motif with DDY singing about setting course for "the virgin sea" and seeking new adventures.  After the first verse, we get some synth played by JY, and the rest of the band comes in relatively quietly.  In the second verse, DDY reminisces about childhood friends and the dreams they had.  After the second verse, the song starts to rock and DDY abandons the piano and we hear about "a gathering of angels" appearing above his head and singing to him, "come sail away."  We then get a synth breakdown (which I believe is referred to in the liner notes as the "Arp odyssey" -- after the brand of synth) and a BIG ROCK MOMENT with crunching guitars.  And then, SPOILER ALERT...the angels who told DDY to "come sail away" are actually traveling aboard a starship.  The song deserves every bit of credit it gets, but the lyrics are really weird when you really pay attention.

Miss America:  Hey...we haven't had a JY song in a while (in fact, not since Midnight Ride on Equinox).  Miss America opens with what I think might be a mellotron, some clean electric guitars join in for this mysterious intro.  But then we get that riff that's instantly recognizable by any Styx fan (and remember this riff).  Lyrically, and for reasons I can't explain, decided to go all guns blazing at Miss America.  This song would have made sense after the Vanessa Williams scandal in the '80s, but I'm not sure what the motivation was in 1977.  After the standard verse, chorus, verse, chorus, we get a brief synth solo and guitar solo, followed by a closing verse.  A very simple song, but it serves as a nice contrast tot he rest of the album.  Probably JY's best known song.

Man in the Wilderness:  This song and Castle Walls are, IMO, the hidden gems of this album.  Man in the Wilderness is a low mid-tempo song that starts fairly mellow.  Shaw is the sole credited author, but I feel like DDY also played a pretty strong role with this one also.  The relatively mellow verses build to a brooding chorus.  Lyrically, it's certainly a companion piece to Fooling Yourself.  The angry young man has grown up a bit but has lost his way.  After the second chorus, the intensity build with the bridge, and then...remember that riff from Miss America?  Have some more!  It's not identical, but the riff that is played prior to and underneath the guitar solo is REALLY close, and I've never heard an explanation why that was.  The song segues into a final chorus.  Tommy's vocals on this song are one of the standout features on this album.

Castle Walls:  Castle Walls has the same brooding feel as Man in the Wilderness.  It opens quietly with Chuck keeping time by playing a repeating quarter note pattern while DDY adds a synth melody.  John Panozzo adds cymbal accents.  DDY sings about a fantasy style encounter in a forest while the music builds to the chorus that tells of castle walls and a battle raging "like hell."  A mini guitar solo is followed by another synth riff over a pedal tone.  The guitars and drums build in intensity and more synths are added.  The opening of the song returns with a rocking guitar solo, followed by a final chorus in which DDY meets the blind prophet of Apollo, Tiresias (although I suspect he just liked the sound of the name).

The Grand Finale:  Apparently not feeling like a 37 minute album was long enough, but not having another song, they decided to tack on this bit of filler.  The "song" starts out with the lyrics, "sail away; superstars," and then proceeds as a bit of a redux on the title track.  Not a bad way to end the album, but nothing special.

Despite having a lot of earmarks of the mid-'70s, I believe it has aged incredibly well and still stands up strong today.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 10:30:38 AM by pg1067 »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #866 on: October 08, 2021, 08:04:23 PM »
The Grand Illusion is great album. One of the 3 essential Styx albums, along with Pieces Of Eight and Paradise Theater.

Great live show from The Grand Illusion tour..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYeYqhlVNQU

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #867 on: October 08, 2021, 08:08:04 PM »
Pg, great details.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #868 on: October 08, 2021, 08:15:38 PM »
The breakthrough album for Styx.  Sure, a few Styx songs got airplay prior to this album (everyone knew "Crystal Ball", "Lorelei", and of course "Lady") but this is the one that really hit it big.  Or maybe it's just because it was my first concert and this happened to be the big album at the time of my rock awakening.  Or maybe both.

Karn Evil 9

The intro to Miss America is a synth.  Similar patch to the break on Suite Madame Blue.  Flutey sound, but it not a Mellotron; definitely a synth, probably a Moog.

Other than that, I agree with pretty much every word.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #869 on: October 11, 2021, 10:29:09 AM »
The Grand Illusion is great album. One of the 3 essential Styx albums, along with Pieces Of Eight and Paradise Theater.

Great live show from The Grand Illusion tour..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYeYqhlVNQU

DDY:  "Hey guys...hey guys...I have a great idea!"

JP:  "What is it now, Dennis?"

DDY:  "Let's wear all white at the show!"

TS:  "What?  Why?"

DDY:  "Because it's fucking artistic!  Tommy, just borrow that sweater your wife...the one she wore to dinner the other day."

JY:  "Fine, Dennis, whatever."

Chuck:  <shows up in all black.>

Karn Evil 9

Damn...major faux pas.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #870 on: October 12, 2021, 07:48:17 PM »
Regarding the writing, it feels like Styx must have used the Fleetwood Mac rule back then, meaning that whoever came up with the original idea got the writing credit, because it is clear that DDY had a big hand in writing Fooling Yourself and Miss America. Granted, I believe Dennis did the heavy lifting when it came to producing (the band as a whole is credited as the producer), so he might have chalked it up to his contributions being part of the production, or it could just be a simple case of the band being in their prime, at their peak, writing great music, and not overly worrying about credit and whatnot.  The band was firing on all cylinders in the later 70s.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #871 on: October 12, 2021, 09:13:44 PM »
Castle Walls is and will always be my #1 all time favorite Styx song and I can’t believe it doesn’t get more love.

The tension buildup in that song is off the charts, and the power chords over the synth riff (slightly reminiscent of the Halloween theme) is so much fun to crank!!  :metal :metal :metal :xbones
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline pg1067

« Reply #872 on: October 13, 2021, 10:25:02 AM »
Castle Walls is and will always be my #1 all time favorite Styx song and I can’t believe it doesn’t get more love.

The tension buildup in that song is off the charts, and the power chords over the synth riff (slightly reminiscent of the Halloween theme) is so much fun to crank!!  :metal :metal :metal :xbones

It's unfortunate.  CW and Man in the Wilderness get overshadowed by the big 3 of this album (Fooling, Sail and Miss America).

I may do Pieces of Eight later today.

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #873 on: October 13, 2021, 10:59:03 AM »
I wasn't born when The Grand Illusion was released, though I grew up enjoying Styx's music in the 80's as my mom loved them.  She saw Styx play at high school dances in the early 70's, before they became a national act.

My first real rock concert was the reunion/Return to Paradise tour in 1996, and in 1997, we saw their tour in support of The Grand Illusion's 20th anniversary.  They played five songs from the record then.  When I saw Dennis' solo band in 2010, he played Castle Walls, which was really neat to see, so I've seen quite a bit of that album played live.

As much as I love them, I haven't ever really done a deep dive into their studio records, so this is a fun discussion to read.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #874 on: October 13, 2021, 05:47:31 PM »
I wasn't born when The Grand Illusion was released, though I grew up enjoying Styx's music in the 80's as my mom loved them.  She saw Styx play at high school dances in the early 70's, before they became a national act.

My first real rock concert was the reunion/Return to Paradise tour in 1996, and in 1997, we saw their tour in support of The Grand Illusion's 20th anniversary.  They played five songs from the record then.  When I saw Dennis' solo band in 2010, he played Castle Walls, which was really neat to see, so I've seen quite a bit of that album played live.

As much as I love them, I haven't ever really done a deep dive into their studio records, so this is a fun discussion to read.

No time like the present. :)

It's unfortunate.  CW and Man in the Wilderness get overshadowed by the big 3 of this album (Fooling, Sail and Miss America).

I may do Pieces of Eight later today.

I think the big 3 from this one would be the classic rock radio mainstays (The Grand Illusion, Fooling Yourself and Come Sail Away), but I agree that Castle Walls and Man in the Wilderness are killer songs that deserve any and all love they get.