Author Topic: The official Frontiers Softcock Shit thread  (Read 577133 times)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The official melodic rock/AOR thread
« Reply #2835 on: December 16, 2014, 04:16:16 PM »
I actually put the CD version of Live at the Whiskey in the car this morning for the first time on the way to work, and man it sounds fantastic.  One of the better sounding live cd's I've heard for a while.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2836 on: December 17, 2014, 11:36:29 AM »

hopefully Aldrich finds a good home soon. 

I just heard that Burning Rain are touring the US so perhaps he's just decided to go back to his own band and do a new album with Keith St John.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #2837 on: December 18, 2014, 02:27:14 AM »
Not really sure where to put this one, but a killer version of one of my fave Black Sabbath songs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbVToMjGu5o&index=2&list=PL7PWF_0o-zKx-SWgvZxRZFjUOo6r_zEZ0

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2838 on: December 18, 2014, 02:33:37 AM »
Not really sure where to put this one, but a killer version of one of my fave Black Sabbath songs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbVToMjGu5o&index=2&list=PL7PWF_0o-zKx-SWgvZxRZFjUOo6r_zEZ0

How about the Classic metal thread you were just in?  ;D

Tony Martin fronted Black Sabbath is the version I grew up with and I have a soft spot for that era .  The albums could be a bit patchy but the best songs were  :metal  That vid has pretty amazing sound.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #2839 on: December 18, 2014, 03:19:50 AM »
Yeah I love the Martin era, probably my fave Sabbath era.
Amazing sound from the video, apparently Roland Grapow mixed it in his own studio.
I wish there was some more footage from that gig, couldn't find any though.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2840 on: December 18, 2014, 01:23:48 PM »
FUck, never heard this, a band with Martin and Grapow!?  Awesome.

EDIT: Oh just checked their website and Martin and Grapow aren't members :(

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #2841 on: December 19, 2014, 01:00:00 PM »
Martin still sounds pretty good but couldn't reach the high notes in the chorus and the rest of the song was tuned down.
BUT still sounds amazing and dare I say it? Better than the original...

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2842 on: December 19, 2014, 01:47:20 PM »
Martin still sounds pretty good but couldn't reach the high notes in the chorus and the rest of the song was tuned down.
BUT still sounds amazing and dare I say it? Better than the original...

I wouldn't say it's better than the original, but it's a really good version.

Tony Martin could never hit any of his high notes live, even back in the day.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2843 on: December 20, 2014, 09:45:48 AM »
That is a quality metal voice though. The tone is just awesome.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2844 on: December 21, 2014, 03:43:58 AM »
That is a quality metal voice though. The tone is just awesome.

And instantly recognizable.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2845 on: December 21, 2014, 09:04:07 AM »
Went old school driving to food shop today.  Played Stone Fury's -- Burn Like A Star. 

What a great album.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2846 on: December 21, 2014, 09:08:49 AM »
Went old school driving to food shop today.  Played Stone Fury's -- Burn Like A Star. 

What a great album.

Yep - good stuff.  Didn't make my top 10 of 1984 but got a mention in the also rans.....  some of the talent from that band (Gowdy) also went on to form Unruly Child which are also a big fave of mine.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2847 on: December 21, 2014, 09:14:06 AM »
Yup, like them too as well as going to a prog outfit, World Trade. Bruce Gowdy, Guy Allison & Jay Schellen on their second album.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2848 on: December 21, 2014, 09:15:45 AM »
King, if I'm being honest, and I absolutely loved Burn Like A Star back in the day, it has NOT aged well.

Saw Kingdom Comeshot a couple of times. I was always hoping they'd play Break Down The Wall.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2849 on: December 22, 2014, 04:13:53 AM »
What the hell is JSS thinking?  This is rubbish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=85MjeRWGnUE

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2850 on: December 22, 2014, 04:17:48 AM »
Yeah - he's so angry and pissed off these days  ::)..............and everyone seems to be falling over themselves at how good it is.   I'm a JSS fanboy from way back but his recent solo stuff (almost all of it actually) isn't a patch on Talisman and the like.  It pains me to say it but I can't see myself buying or listening to any of his new material unless something really surprises.

And seriously........when the lyrics are so crapola I struggle to see why lyric vids are becoming the default option.  It just makes the lameness of the song all that much more obvious.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2851 on: December 22, 2014, 04:43:53 AM »
It's obviously another one written by Orlando.  It sounds like a AMob throw away.

As you know I really liked Damage Control, but this seriously sounds like horseshit.  You mean you've heard good things about this?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2852 on: December 22, 2014, 04:51:39 AM »
Yeah Damage Control was pretty solid.   When I say people are positive about it I'm talking about the usual suspects at mr.com.     For many years I was on the same wavelength as those guys but these days it's almost as if we've moved to opposite ends of the taste scale.  It seems as if anything that rocks a tad a has a little melody is the second coming or something.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2853 on: December 22, 2014, 05:15:30 AM »
Yeah, I'm with you there.  I think over the last year I myself have become a lot more critical and actually don't get blinded by the artist so much and continue to get less impressed with things getting put out there.  mr.com seem to just lap it up more and more, no matter how mediocre and bland it is.

Also, on a different note Brent, I've been listening to that Trail of Murder album quite a bit lately, that's a geat metal album.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2854 on: December 22, 2014, 09:37:55 AM »
Awesome - as you well know I agree wholeheartedly..........in my top few albums of the decade. In fact one of the very few recent releases that stands up to the classics of the past in terms of the depth of songwriting and performances.

Hopefully Serious Black is in the same ballpark , although having heard a few tidbits through the grapevine I gather that the band themselves believe that the debut has been a bit rushed and that it'll set them up for their second album which will be where it all comes together as a real band.  Either way I think the debut is going to be pretty good.   I'm really hoping for a second Trail of Murder though.

If you ever come across a track called Not For The Faint Of Heart - let me know.  It's a non album track from the  Trail of Murder sessions that made it onto a few promo pressings but is otherwise impossible to find.  I've heard a live version (not the best sound) but it seems like another good track.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2855 on: December 22, 2014, 09:47:30 AM »
The AMob sound doesn't fit Jeff's style at all. Not good

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2856 on: December 22, 2014, 10:37:37 AM »
King, if I'm being honest, and I absolutely loved Burn Like A Star back in the day, it has NOT aged well.

Saw Kingdom Comeshot a couple of times. I was always hoping they'd play Break Down The Wall.

Maybe it's because I don't overplay it but when I put it on I still love it.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2857 on: December 22, 2014, 02:02:15 PM »
Yeah. That jss sounds like shit. And yes the Mr.com crowd think it's awesome. Maybe because Jeff posts on there and he may comment to them. I didn't slag it because I like Jeff and I guess he's doing what he wants because it is a departure from his bread and butter. It's just rubbish from what I've heard so far.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2858 on: December 22, 2014, 02:07:02 PM »
I can't believe how bad it is.  It just sounds like Nickelback mixed with some AMob leftovers, so disappointing.

I'm having a listen to the latest Crazy Lixx and pretty damn good.  Not sure why I never cared for the band before.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2859 on: December 22, 2014, 02:25:22 PM »
I think JSS and Yngwie need each other

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2860 on: December 22, 2014, 02:38:21 PM »
I think JSS and Yngwie need each other

At this point in time, I think that couldn't be more true.  Could you imagine a reunion with these two?  Wow.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2861 on: December 22, 2014, 04:20:35 PM »
I wonder  what their relationship is like, or if there is even one. I can only assume when Jeff left the band years ago it wasn't on the best of terms. And I can't see Yngwie calling him up and apologizing

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2862 on: December 22, 2014, 04:30:13 PM »
To the best of my knowledge - from chatting to Jeff a few years back and interviews like that below (a number of years old mind you) I think if Yngwie wanted it Jeff would be there as long as he wasn't ripped off - so little chance  ;D

MetalKings.com: You also worked with Yngwie again on the album "Inspiration" (1996). How did it happen and didn't you plan to go on tour?

Jeff Scott Soto: Yngwie called me and asked to do a song with him. I said, "No problem! I'll come and do it!" So we were in his studio, spent some time together and even planned to go on tour. But that's when management got in our way again and screwed up the whole thing. That's why Mark Boals went on tour instead of me.

MetalKings.com: But I have the video clip of "Carry On Wayward Son" with Mark Boals lip-syching to your studio singing and the clip is shot live at a concert somewhere.

Jeff Scott Soto: (very suprised) Really? I never heard about it! Is it that very studio version with my vocals in the clip?

MetalKings.com: Yes.

Jeff Scott Soto: Unbelievable! That's the second time when Mark is lip-syching to my vocals in the history of Yngwie.

MetalKings.com: So when was the first time?

Jeff Scott Soto: It was just when I left the band on the song "I'll See The Light Tonight". Mark had short hair when he joined Yngwie for the first time and had to use hair extensions to become a real metal singer. That's when they took a live version of "I'll See The Light Tonight" and Mark was lip-syching to my voice in the clip. Some people even didn't know it was Mark in the clip.

MetalKings.com: So what do think if Yngwie calls you tomorrow and proposes to go on tour together? Would you do that?

Jeff Scott Soto: I think I will. But only if we have equal rights and equal partnership and the management wouldn't dictate to us what to do or say. If it happens in the right way I'm all for that.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 04:38:39 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2863 on: December 22, 2014, 09:20:40 PM »
I can't believe how bad it is.  It just sounds like Nickelback mixed with some AMob leftovers, so disappointing.

I'm having a listen to the latest Crazy Lixx and pretty damn good.  Not sure why I never cared for the band before.

Still haven't checked out the new Crazy Lixx yet. It sounds like it's a bit closer in style to New Religion, which is the only album of theirs I care for. What I've heard of the new one has certainly been better than the last one, but still hasn't grabbed me. Hopefully the rest of the album is a bit better.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2864 on: December 23, 2014, 04:23:15 AM »
Good to hear that JSS is open to it.  Yngwie at this stage of his career should definitely swallow his pride and do something like a reunion with JSS.  It would do magic things for his career.

Still haven't checked out the new Crazy Lixx yet. It sounds like it's a bit closer in style to New Religion, which is the only album of theirs I care for. What I've heard of the new one has certainly been better than the last one, but still hasn't grabbed me. Hopefully the rest of the album is a bit better.

It's the only thing I've listened to from the band.  It's definitely nothing groundbreaking or new and there's a few fillers, but all in all, a great melodic rock record.  Reminds me of HEAT and Danger Danger.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2865 on: December 23, 2014, 08:02:54 AM »
I heard samples of the new Yngwie live album and I'm not sure who the singer was, but he sounded decent. JSS would be a major upgrade though

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2866 on: December 23, 2014, 12:56:36 PM »
To the best of my knowledge - from chatting to Jeff a few years back and interviews like that below (a number of years old mind you) I think if Yngwie wanted it Jeff would be there as long as he wasn't ripped off - so little chance  ;D

MetalKings.com: You also worked with Yngwie again on the album "Inspiration" (1996). How did it happen and didn't you plan to go on tour?

Jeff Scott Soto: Yngwie called me and asked to do a song with him. I said, "No problem! I'll come and do it!" So we were in his studio, spent some time together and even planned to go on tour. But that's when management got in our way again and screwed up the whole thing. That's why Mark Boals went on tour instead of me.

MetalKings.com: But I have the video clip of "Carry On Wayward Son" with Mark Boals lip-syching to your studio singing and the clip is shot live at a concert somewhere.

Jeff Scott Soto: (very suprised) Really? I never heard about it! Is it that very studio version with my vocals in the clip?

Jeff Scott Soto: Unbelievable! That's the second time when Mark is lip-syching to my vocals in the history of Yngwie.

Jeff Scott Soto: It was just when I left the band on the song "I'll See The Light Tonight". Mark had short hair when he joined Yngwie for the first time and had to use hair extensions to become a real metal singer. That's when they took a live version of "I'll See The Light Tonight" and Mark was lip-syching to my voice in the clip. Some people even didn't know it was Mark in the clip.

MetalKings.com: So what do think if Yngwie calls you tomorrow and proposes to go on tour together? Would you do that?

Jeff Scott Soto: I think I will. But only if we have equal rights and equal partnership and the management wouldn't dictate to us what to do or say. If it happens in the right way I'm all for that.

I'm sure there was a Facebook post from JSS a couple of years ago reaching out to Yngwie but bemoaning the fact that Yng's wife won't let any of his old friends anywhere near him. Doesn't sound very hopeful.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2867 on: December 23, 2014, 03:16:24 PM »
I heard samples of the new Yngwie live album and I'm not sure who the singer was, but he sounded decent. JSS would be a major upgrade though

I think it's been his current keyboard player.  I'm not sure who he is though.

I'm sure there was a Facebook post from JSS a couple of years ago reaching out to Yngwie but bemoaning the fact that Yng's wife won't let any of his old friends anywhere near him. Doesn't sound very hopeful.

What the hell, he needs to ditch that bitch.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2868 on: December 23, 2014, 03:28:57 PM »
I think I know why I never got into Crazy Lixx.  Just having a listen to New Religion and it's quite shit IMO.  They really stepped things up with the new album.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2869 on: December 23, 2014, 07:52:35 PM »
I think I know why I never got into Crazy Lixx. Just having a listen to New Religion and it's quite shit IMO.  They really stepped things up with the new album.

LOL
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.