Author Topic: More DVD News -- Over the Edge Productions  (Read 139220 times)

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
Re: More DVD News -- Over the Edge Productions
« Reply #105 on: August 13, 2012, 02:36:00 AM »
:chill

PetFish, maybe live music isn't your thing. :P
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #106 on: August 13, 2012, 02:41:55 AM »
When it matters "band's hits" it's completely natural that crowd goes crazy. Like Pull Me Under, As I Am, Forsaken or such... I'm not complaining about that. I meant the "whole" concert with the crowd's singing and clapping. Man, if it is even inharmonious I can't watch.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.
« Reply #107 on: August 13, 2012, 03:33:01 AM »
Yeah, well that's where the editing comes in. That has nothing to do with the audience. Sometimes a good audience can change songs forever.

Think of how the crowd chants have basically become a part of "Fear of the Dark".

Exactly the song I think of when I think about audiences chiming into songs. Being a part of this twice at a concert it gives me chills every time I hear this song. I love when audiences are loud and vocal. As long as the mixing of the music is good on the DVD then it's probably a good thing to have.
May The Force Be With You.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #108 on: August 13, 2012, 04:06:26 AM »
Scatman Jack
Scatman John
 >:(

Yeah, well that's where the editing comes in. That has nothing to do with the audience. Sometimes a good audience can change songs forever.

Think of how the crowd chants have basically become a part of "Fear of the Dark".

And don't even act like this isn't magical.
This

I love the "hey" part in AtsS like this:

Live at Toronto 2012

but not like this:

Live at Donnington 1992
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 04:46:45 AM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #109 on: August 13, 2012, 04:16:26 AM »
^^

I don't have to act, that's absolutely AWFUL.  Halfway through all I can think about is how off the clapping is which takes me even further out of the moment.  Holy crap that is horrible.  If I paid good money to go see a show WTF am I paying to go see/hear?  Apparently, not the actual BAND, so why don't we all just gather around a campfire with 80,000 people and sing the songs ourselves?  The band doesn't even need to show up.  Total garbage.

I don't know, but if these are the things you really fret over before going to see shows then maybe you ought to just stay in with the studio albums. Going to concerts isn't about you. It's about you, and the band, and all the other fans, all getting together sharing something awesome. If someone else clapping takes you "out of the moment" then I'd say you're just not getting what the moment is all about, because you've got this idea in your head that the band is giving YOU ALONE a show, and you feel like everyone else should shut-up and enjoy it the same way you would.

Sorry if this sounds sardonic, but seriously? Dream Theater's last three DVDs have featured audiences that were relatively stationary. Plus, Dream Theater have eleven great studio albums you can listen to for that ultra-personal experience you seem to be craving. Are you really going to be that upset if DT release one DVD where the crowd is a bit louder than usual? Would you rather DT release a "Live from the Studio" type thing instead?

Dream Theater are in the middle of filming what could possibly be their biggest, best, highest-budget concert ever, and it's going to be extra-long because it'll be filmed over two nights, and we've been told there's gonna be all sorts of really cool bonuses. And some people here are practically freaking out, because they're filming it in South America where audiences are intense and like to sing and clap their hands.  Sorry, but to that all I have to say on this discussion is "Never Enough"  ;D

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #110 on: August 13, 2012, 05:11:11 AM »
And some people here are practically freaking out, because they're filming it in South America where audiences are intense and like to sing and clap their hands.  Sorry, but to that all I have to say on this discussion is "Never Enough"  ;D

Don't exaggerate, the problem isn't with singing and clapping for the most of us, that's great. The problem is when they obnoxiously imitate riffs and solos and chant 'hey, hey' every chance they get. Just keep that type of tedious crowd noise low on the mix.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #111 on: August 13, 2012, 06:51:15 AM »
Everyone must enjoy concerts in the same way. 

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #112 on: August 13, 2012, 07:31:06 AM »
We are actually developing something unbelievably cool for this release. You will flip!
[/quote]

NOOOOO HE SHOULD HAVE SAID STELLAR. We agreed on stellar.

Also, if you guys really think the crowd will be able to chant along Dream Theater solos, I hate to break it to ya, but that actually is a bit too hard to do casually  :biggrin:

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #113 on: August 13, 2012, 07:34:08 AM »
Some people enjoy some stuff and some people don't and that's fine. I'm not gonna criticize other people for not liking the same things I do but I do think people need to stop complaining about things that are not under your control. If you don't like loud crowds then you will probably need to pass on this DVD, no one is forcing you to buy it. Everyone will sing every part of the lyrics, everyone will chant hey, hey and other stuff and when the riffs allow it, people will also chant to them. That is a fact.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #114 on: August 13, 2012, 07:37:29 AM »
I'm sure the crowd is going to be nuts at the shows, but I trust whoever is mixing the audio to have the discretion to know when it's appropriate to mix it louder or softer to enhance the experience. The enthusiasm of the crowd can still shine through without it being overbearing, and overwhelming the band.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #115 on: August 13, 2012, 08:01:49 AM »
^^

I don't have to act, that's absolutely AWFUL.  Halfway through all I can think about is how off the clapping is which takes me even further out of the moment.  Holy crap that is horrible.  If I paid good money to go see a show WTF am I paying to go see/hear?  Apparently, not the actual BAND, so why don't we all just gather around a campfire with 80,000 people and sing the songs ourselves?  The band doesn't even need to show up.  Total garbage.

I don't know, but if these are the things you really fret over before going to see shows then maybe you ought to just stay in with the studio albums. Going to concerts isn't about you. It's about you, and the band, and all the other fans, all getting together sharing something awesome. If someone else clapping takes you "out of the moment" then I'd say you're just not getting what the moment is all about, because you've got this idea in your head that the band is giving YOU ALONE a show, and you feel like everyone else should shut-up and enjoy it the same way you would.

Sorry if this sounds sardonic, but seriously? Dream Theater's last three DVDs have featured audiences that were relatively stationary. Plus, Dream Theater have eleven great studio albums you can listen to for that ultra-personal experience you seem to be craving. Are you really going to be that upset if DT release one DVD where the crowd is a bit louder than usual? Would you rather DT release a "Live from the Studio" type thing instead?

Dream Theater are in the middle of filming what could possibly be their biggest, best, highest-budget concert ever, and it's going to be extra-long because it'll be filmed over two nights, and we've been told there's gonna be all sorts of really cool bonuses. And some people here are practically freaking out, because they're filming it in South America where audiences are intense and like to sing and clap their hands. 

Well said.  :tup :tup

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #116 on: August 13, 2012, 08:26:05 AM »
I was about to "third" that, Kev.  But then I noticed you omitted the all-important last sentence of his post.  ;)
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline 6sAllTheWay

« Reply #117 on: August 13, 2012, 09:57:44 AM »

This is an instance where I find it really annoying: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkZu_aAzJgA , sure it might be cool because it is spontaneous joy and passion from the crowd but when you are at home on your headphones stuff like that gets annoying to listen to if you want to enjoy a bands live releases.

Offline robbob

« Reply #118 on: August 13, 2012, 10:04:52 AM »
Speaking of crowd participation, this is one of my favorite youtube clips of DT. Obviously it's a cell phone cam or digital camera but if the crowd is intense as this how can the DVD not be awesome. Like others have mentioned, we already have Budokon and Score with mellow crowds, time for something a little different.

http://

Offline robbob

« Reply #119 on: August 13, 2012, 10:06:21 AM »

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: August 13, 2012, 10:09:01 AM »

This is an instance where I find it really annoying: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkZu_aAzJgA , sure it might be cool because it is spontaneous joy and passion from the crowd but when you are at home on your headphones stuff like that gets annoying to listen to if you want to enjoy a bands live releases.

I always get goosebumps when I watch that video.

Now, Mustaine is so much in love with the Argentinian crowds and specifically with that chant that he probably requested the sound technician to keep the crowd volume high in that part. I don't think you'll see anything like that in the DT DVD but then again, JP said in an interview that they liked the idea of filming this in South America so that people from the rest of the world could see how fans in SA are.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: August 13, 2012, 10:40:37 AM »
I'm sure the crowd is going to be nuts at the shows, but I trust whoever is mixing the audio to have the discretion to know when it's appropriate to mix it louder or softer to enhance the experience. The enthusiasm of the crowd can still shine through without it being overbearing, and overwhelming the band.

This. I don't think we have much to worry about even if the crowd is overly obnoxious.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #122 on: August 13, 2012, 10:46:55 AM »
I guess I made that post in the wrong thread:
I don't mind reasonable audience noise, which was never a problem in previous DT DVD so I dunno why we're worried. I really to hear big sing alongs though, it has a powerful effect. Besides; isn't it safe to assume that JP is going to have very close supervision over the audio mixing in the production stage of the DVD?
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #123 on: August 13, 2012, 01:23:51 PM »
Sorry, Scatman John, I don't listen to that style of music and just pulled that name out of my ass.

Never Enough?  Really you guys?  This has nothing to do with that type of attitude so get over yourselves.  There's no issue with DT here at all, only the crowd noise, and "never enough" is completely uncalled for.  Maybe you should be saying that to the whiners who are bitching about a possible editing problem with two consecutive shows who'll complain "JP was smiling in one shot but in the very next he wasn't" cuz you know they'll be here the day after release.

I love live shows and would go to more if I could... just not in South America or Europe so saying " maybe live shows aren't for me" is also inappropriate and passive-aggressive.

I feel Japanese crowds are too quiet, Europe and SA crowds are too loud, and North America has a nice blend (just not Vancouver, we may as well be Japan here).

Ultimately, we'll just have to wait for the final product, I just hope we don't get a Rush in Rio.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #124 on: August 13, 2012, 01:24:58 PM »
Actually, I think North American crowds suck (with lots of respect, my fellow americans).
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #125 on: August 13, 2012, 01:33:08 PM »
I'm with PetFish on his recent point. ^

This whole problem can be solved as long as the crowd is properly mixed in the DVD. I want to primarily hear the band, not the crowd. It is certainly possible for the band to easily edit the crowd noise and bring down the volume so they don't overpower the band in the mix. As long as that happens, I will be happy. Like other people have said, I want to hear the live band on the live DVD, not the live band accompanied by the entire population of South America.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline lithium112

« Reply #126 on: August 13, 2012, 03:35:37 PM »
I feel Japanese crowds are too quiet, Europe and SA crowds are too loud, and North America has a nice blend (just not Vancouver, we may as well be Japan here).

Is Vancouver typically bad? Having seen shows in Toronto and hearing what bands usually say about shows, I thought Canada was typically a way more active crowd than anywhere in the states. For example, seeing Muse in Detroit was made a lot lamer by the audience. Though it was still awesome because Muse.

Offline chwik

• Shadows of the Sun
« Reply #127 on: August 13, 2012, 04:00:31 PM »
Sounds like the dvd is going to be fantastic! Really looking forward to it!  :metal

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #128 on: August 13, 2012, 04:39:21 PM »
These news make me worried, if they're going to merge the two shows or just cut a few songs off of them considering it's going to be "the best of the two nights", it'd be pretty hard to feature both pairs of acoustic songs, or both of the songs they rotate on a certain album etc (6:00 / Caught in a Web for example). I hope they'll handle it right.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #129 on: August 13, 2012, 04:44:57 PM »
These news make me worried, if they're going to merge the two shows or just cut a few songs off of them considering it's going to be "the best of the two nights", it'd be pretty hard to feature both pairs of acoustic songs, or both of the songs they rotate on a certain album etc (6:00 / Caught in a Web for example). I hope they'll handle it right.

I'm certain they will handle it well. These shows are 2 hours and 30 minutes long, so let's say there is approximately 30 minutes of different music between each night. Every song that is played both nights will feature the ideal performance, which makes about 2 hours, plus the 30 minutes of differing songs between each night, making a 3-hour live DVD, which is close to what every DVD since LAB has been.

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #130 on: August 13, 2012, 04:51:57 PM »

I'm certain they will handle it well. These shows are 2 hours and 30 minutes long, so let's say there is approximately 30 minutes of different music between each night. Every song that is played both nights will feature the ideal performance, which makes about 2 hours, plus the 30 minutes of differing songs between each night, making a 3-hour live DVD, which is close to what every DVD since LAB has been.
Well, the whole tour had a pretty damn large amount of songs played in it. I'm being optimistic and I hope that they might make the 2 nights so different that they'd throw To Live Forever right at our faces, along with the 3 tracks from Awake, The Great Debate, etc. Expecting only 30 minutes of difference between both nights might be a little more realistic though.

Offline wolfandwolfandwolf

• Gym Rat
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Really Scrappy Player
« Reply #131 on: August 13, 2012, 05:23:11 PM »

I like the way they break it up on the CiM DVD with the interview/documentary sections.  Good way to keep the awkward "clothes change" feeling from happening.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #132 on: August 13, 2012, 05:31:52 PM »
I'll just say that I agree with PC, Kev, and bosky.

And that Blind Guardian clip was fucking sweet, and I'm not even crazy about that band.  But that's how a live audience SHOULD be.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #133 on: August 13, 2012, 05:33:29 PM »

Both JP and JLB said the setlists will vary much and that there will be surprises so I'm really hoping for that.

I missed this. It's so beautiful.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #134 on: August 13, 2012, 06:19:56 PM »
@lithium

From my experience, yes.  I don't go to too many but when I do it's pretty embarrassing.  I recently saw the live play of Rock of Ages and there were soooooooo many places for audience participation and nobody did anything.  I felt so bad for the actors cuz I could tell they just wanted something that showed them we were at least alive.

It was just like Japan when the two times DT were here.  But, when I think about it, it really depends on the music and the artist I think.  Iron Maiden, Bon Jovi, U2, etc all get the audience involved and it's mainly due to a) the frontman must be awesome and b) the music must be "participatory" ie. catchy choruses and appropriate spots for singalongs.  I love this kind of interaction and audience participation but DT's music just doesn't have many of these moments and I'm ok with that, for the most part, I just wish James didn't look like he'd rather be doing laundry than on stage entertaining.

Offline olliemedsy

« Reply #135 on: August 13, 2012, 06:48:23 PM »
Sorry, Scatman John, I don't listen to that style of music and just pulled that name out of my ass.

Never Enough?  Really you guys?  This has nothing to do with that type of attitude so get over yourselves.  There's no issue with DT here at all, only the crowd noise, and "never enough" is completely uncalled for. Maybe you should be saying that to the whiners who are bitching about a possible editing problem with two consecutive shows who'll complain "JP was smiling in one shot but in the very next he wasn't" cuz you know they'll be here the day after release.

I love live shows and would go to more if I could... just not in South America or Europe so saying " maybe live shows aren't for me" is also inappropriate and passive-aggressive.

Ultimately, we'll just have to wait for the final product, I just hope we don't get a Rush in Rio.

Oh the irony

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #136 on: August 13, 2012, 06:51:42 PM »
Honestly, the "best of two nights" can mean that they cut and paste the best versions of the songs together for the dvd OR they take the best overall show of the two and then run with the actual footage. There is no concrete evidence, as of right now, that they will be cutting and pasting for this DVD.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #137 on: August 13, 2012, 06:54:04 PM »
@lithium

From my experience, yes.  I don't go to too many but when I do it's pretty embarrassing.  I recently saw the live play of Rock of Ages and there were soooooooo many places for audience participation and nobody did anything.  I felt so bad for the actors cuz I could tell they just wanted something that showed them we were at least alive.

It was just like Japan when the two times DT were here.  But, when I think about it, it really depends on the music and the artist I think.  Iron Maiden, Bon Jovi, U2, etc all get the audience involved and it's mainly due to a) the frontman must be awesome and b) the music must be "participatory" ie. catchy choruses and appropriate spots for singalongs.  I love this kind of interaction and audience participation but DT's music just doesn't have many of these moments and I'm ok with that, for the most part, I just wish James didn't look like he'd rather be doing laundry than on stage entertaining.

I am pretty sure James would rather be riding his forklift than doing laundry.

Offline johncal

« Reply #138 on: August 13, 2012, 07:23:31 PM »
I really can't wait for the DVD to come out so everybody can start with some FRESH BITCHING. this is getting a bit stale.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #139 on: August 13, 2012, 07:26:10 PM »
I really can't wait for the DVD to come out so everybody can start with some FRESH BITCHING. this is getting a bit stale.

Hey guys, are you excited for the DVD? :neverusethis: