Author Topic: Styx appreciation  (Read 83765 times)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Styx appreciation
« Reply #945 on: November 03, 2021, 07:22:48 PM »
Well, I am seeing Transatlantic play two albums soon....
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #946 on: November 03, 2021, 07:23:21 PM »
Well, I am seeing Transatlantic play two albums soon....

Yeah, buddy!  :metal :metal

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #947 on: November 03, 2021, 07:28:50 PM »
 :metal :metal
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline pg1067

« Reply #948 on: November 04, 2021, 11:33:18 AM »
I think the Panozzos are actually kind of fascinating and would love to get Chuck's take on some of this stuff (has anyone here read his autobiography?).

By the way, after posing this question, I looked up his autobio on Amazon and checked out some of the reviews.  I thought this one was kind of interesting:

"If the idea of a reasonably talented bass player who never wrote a single song bitching and moaning through hundreds of pages about the guy on whose coattails he became rich and famous sounds good, then this is the book for you.

"As a lifelong Styx fan, this was a difficult book for me to read because Panozzo clearly distorts aspects of the band's history that are a matter of public record.  The hypocrisy of him and the other two classic-era members (Shaw and Young) has been very obvious, and in this book it's on full display.  Panozzo acts as if Styx were Led Zepellin until Dennis DeYoung attempted to turn them into Air Supply.  Styx, much like Queen, derived their identity through a clever mix of rock, theatricality, and a touch of camp.  According to Shaw, as quoted by Panozzo, they didn't want to 'write songs about robots,' which is absurd enough considering that the only song on the album in question that is about that subject is a stone classic, but the current incarnation of the band wrote an entire album (admittedly a good one) about taking a rocket to Mars.  Very selective criticism.

"Panozzo has undoubtedly had a tough go of things, but his life just isn't that interesting except for his tenure in Styx, for which he did not sing a note [except for the "America" refrain in "Suite Madame Blue"], nor did he write a note or a lyric.  No one expects such a memoir to be objective, but his panning of DeYoung, who wrote and sang all of their biggest hits, including their only #1, comes off as petty after a while. . . ."

Seems like the person who wrote this has a bit of a pro-DDY lean, but the other reviews seems to support the conclusion that Chuck's book isn't going to deliver much about the band beyond what you get on the Behind the Music episode.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #949 on: November 04, 2021, 07:09:52 PM »
I didn't know a thing about Chuck's book, but that is unfortunate that he felt the need to apparently crap all over DDY.  Then again, he probably still gets paid nicely to show up for a few shows and remain on the band's payroll, so it's probably a lot easer to tow the company line and not stop the money train than to risk it by not backing Tommy and JY's version.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #950 on: November 04, 2021, 07:30:26 PM »
They should rename the band Dyx.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #951 on: November 04, 2021, 07:33:38 PM »
To read that kind of disdain tells you that DDY probably stepped over lines.  Flexed his muscles too much and his bandmates had enough. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #952 on: November 04, 2021, 07:37:03 PM »
DDY has muscles?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #953 on: November 04, 2021, 07:41:08 PM »
Since he took control of the band I'd say yes.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #954 on: November 04, 2021, 07:45:11 PM »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #955 on: November 04, 2021, 07:47:22 PM »
I saw that tour. It was phenomenal. Pat Benatar opened.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #956 on: November 04, 2021, 07:49:07 PM »
I saw that tour. It was phenomenal. Pat Benatar opened.

No, no, Benatar opened for them in 1997.

That clip is from the '96 tour.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #957 on: November 04, 2021, 07:54:19 PM »
You're right. 1997, the Grand Illusion tour. I saw that tour too.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #958 on: November 04, 2021, 07:57:10 PM »
Kansas. Right Kev?!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #959 on: November 04, 2021, 08:00:25 PM »
Yep.  The Styx/Kansas double bill was killer.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #960 on: November 04, 2021, 08:04:00 PM »
Yeah, that was a fantastic show.   Seeing Todd for the 1st time blew me away.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #961 on: November 05, 2021, 06:20:45 AM »
As I was not online yet and not aware yet of the inner workings of the band, I am not sure I realized at the 1996 show that it wasn't the original drummer.  :lol :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #962 on: November 05, 2021, 07:16:37 AM »
As I was not online yet and not aware yet of the inner workings of the band, I am not sure I realized at the 1996 show that it wasn't the original drummer.  :lol :lol

:lol

Well of course we did not know how bad John Panozzo was at the time. It was understandable how private they were of the situation.

Offline TheSoylentMan

• Nothing ever happens on Mars
« Reply #963 on: November 05, 2021, 08:31:05 AM »
I saw the 1996 tour too; it was my first rock show (I was 16). Kev, was it you who said upthread this was your first show as well? I had to convince my mom they weren't satanic, because they were named after the river of the dead  :lol

Styx was my first favorite band, but I knew virtually nothing about them. I had taped a bunch of their hits off classic rock radio stations and finally got their Greatest Hits CD, which was pretty much my sole source of information. It had a decent bio and showed all the A&M album covers, but that's all I knew. I didn't even realize Tommy had left and this was a significant reunion for them. I did figure out they had a replacement drummer from context, because at one point Dennis brought the four of them to the front of the stage (minus the drummer) and said something like "did you ever think you'd see this again?". My friend laughed and said "I never saw it the first time!".

Needless to say the show blew me away, and I have a lot of good memories from that night. Kansas was great too. I knew even less about them, because their crummy Best Of CD had no info in it  ;D. Thinking back, Kansas' set was more what I expected a rock show would look like - gear all over the place, dudes just rocking out. Styx had that elaborate stage with like Greek marble floors, and no gear in sight. They even had wireless transmitters on their guitars, which was probably common by then but I had never heard of it. My sixteen-year-old mind was blown.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #964 on: November 05, 2021, 09:44:08 AM »
I saw the 1996 tour too; it was my first rock show (I was 16). Kev, was it you who said upthread this was your first show as well? I had to convince my mom they weren't satanic, because they were named after the river of the dead  :lol

Styx was my first favorite band, but I knew virtually nothing about them. I had taped a bunch of their hits off classic rock radio stations and finally got their Greatest Hits CD, which was pretty much my sole source of information. It had a decent bio and showed all the A&M album covers, but that's all I knew. I didn't even realize Tommy had left and this was a significant reunion for them. I did figure out they had a replacement drummer from context, because at one point Dennis brought the four of them to the front of the stage (minus the drummer) and said something like "did you ever think you'd see this again?". My friend laughed and said "I never saw it the first time!".

Needless to say the show blew me away, and I have a lot of good memories from that night. Kansas was great too. I knew even less about them, because their crummy Best Of CD had no info in it  ;D. Thinking back, Kansas' set was more what I expected a rock show would look like - gear all over the place, dudes just rocking out. Styx had that elaborate stage with like Greek marble floors, and no gear in sight. They even had wireless transmitters on their guitars, which was probably common by then but I had never heard of it. My sixteen-year-old mind was blown.

It was probably me.  I was 16 too  :tup

I loved Styx that night, but Kansas bored the shit out of me.  In fact, my brother and I have a funny memory of that night involving Kansas.  He sat next to a rather large man, who was constantly tapping and stomping his feet along to Kansas.  Because he was seated, his legs were positioned wide and his stomps kept landing on my brother's foot.  The experience of "fat guy stomping on a 14 year old's foot" ruined Kansas for him.  He was so annoyed with the guy. 

As for Styx, my mom impressed on us how big of a deal it was that Tommy was back with the band.  Aside from the popular songs we'd heard as a kid, we knew nothing about the band.  We came home from our family vacation and bought the new Greatest Hits cd and learned everything we could about Styx. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #965 on: November 05, 2021, 09:59:50 AM »
I didn't know a thing about Chuck's book, but that is unfortunate that he felt the need to apparently crap all over DDY.  Then again, he probably still gets paid nicely to show up for a few shows and remain on the band's payroll, so it's probably a lot easer to tow the company line and not stop the money train than to risk it by not backing Tommy and JY's version.

It's weird reading the description of the book and reviews.  The description seems to try and emphasize the Styx-related content, but some of the other reviews seem to indicate there's nothing Styx-related that everyone doesn't already know.  Who knows?

That 1996 clip is fan-friggin'-tastic!  Really wish I'd seen it.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TheSoylentMan

• Nothing ever happens on Mars
« Reply #966 on: November 05, 2021, 10:10:43 AM »

It was probably me.  I was 16 too  :tup

I loved Styx that night, but Kansas bored the shit out of me.  In fact, my brother and I have a funny memory of that night involving Kansas.  He sat next to a rather large man, who was constantly tapping and stomping his feet along to Kansas.  Because he was seated, his legs were positioned wide and his stomps kept landing on my brother's foot.  The experience of "fat guy stomping on a 14 year old's foot" ruined Kansas for him.  He was so annoyed with the guy. 

As for Styx, my mom impressed on us how big of a deal it was that Tommy was back with the band.  Aside from the popular songs we'd heard as a kid, we knew nothing about the band.  We came home from our family vacation and bought the new Greatest Hits cd and learned everything we could about Styx.

:tup

I see you're an Illinois alum. Did you happen to see their Chicago show, the one that was recorded/released from that tour? I saw them in Baltimore, but I live in the Chicago suburbs now.

I already liked Kansas a lot, so was primed to enjoy their set. I'm also a violinist. I thought it was cool that their violin player (David Ragsdale, but again I knew nothing) picked up a guitar for the end of the show and busted out all the solos on Carry On Wayward Son.

Ah, Foot Stomping Guy. At least it makes for a good story. We were on the lawn, and some guys behind us were super into it and were playing air instruments for most of the show. They weren't right in our space so it was more entertaining than annoying.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #967 on: November 05, 2021, 10:23:45 AM »
:tup

I see you're an Illinois alum. Did you happen to see their Chicago show, the one that was recorded/released from that tour? I saw them in Baltimore, but I live in the Chicago suburbs now.

I already liked Kansas a lot, so was primed to enjoy their set. I'm also a violinist. I thought it was cool that their violin player (David Ragsdale, but again I knew nothing) picked up a guitar for the end of the show and busted out all the solos on Carry On Wayward Son.

Ah, Foot Stomping Guy. At least it makes for a good story. We were on the lawn, and some guys behind us were super into it and were playing air instruments for most of the show. They weren't right in our space so it was more entertaining than annoying.

I saw them in 1996 in Las Vegas.  My family was on vacation and as we walked through the MGM Grand,  my mom saw a Styx concert poster.  She stopped in her tracks and said "they're here tomorrow night....AND TOMMY SHAW IS BACK IN THE BAND."  It was my first real rock concert, i.e., buying a ticket and seeing a band.  Up to that point, I'd only seen the local neighborhood festival, where they might have a band like The Guess Who, with zero or one original members in the band.

I did see the 1997 Grand Illusion anniversary tour in Chicago/Rosemont.  I also saw them in 2001 and 2003 in Champaign (Brave New World/Arch Allies tour with REO Speedwagon) and the Cyclorama Tour (boring old Kansas again). 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #968 on: November 05, 2021, 10:29:07 AM »
2001 was with Survivor as well.  That was a great show with REO in the middle.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #969 on: November 06, 2021, 07:48:42 AM »

Close, but not quite.  Styx in 1991 was my 3rd concert ever (the first two being a Beatle tribute band and then Michael Penn). :)

Just looked it up...the Styx/Kansas double bill in '96 was my 20th concert.  :hat :hat

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #970 on: November 06, 2021, 02:25:53 PM »
Saw the original band in 77 and 78, then with REO around 96, and then Baltimore a couple of times, including the Grand Illusion / Pieces of Eight tour.  THAT was damn enjoyable.

For the heck of it, my decades old 'best of'

AD 1928 / Rockin' The Paradise * Too Much Time On My Hands * Why Me * Blue Collar Man (Long Nights) * Grand Illusion * Fooling Yourself (Angry Young Man) * Light Up * Lorelei * Crystal Ball

Great White Hope * I'm OK * Renegade * Heavy Metal Poisoning * Man In The Wilderness * Come Sail Away * Lady * Prelude 12 / Suite Madame Blue * AD1958 * State Street Sadie

Ah, to have an illegal substance (in some parts) to listen to side 2 of 'Equinox' and all of the aforementioned albums again.  The evenings I would drift off to them....

...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #971 on: November 07, 2021, 10:28:11 AM »
This thread prompted me to go back and listen to the early Styx albums from S/T up through Equinox, and boy oh boy do they sound like an American version of Uriah Heep. I'm digging it.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saλns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #972 on: December 26, 2021, 07:58:55 AM »
Dennis at it again (haha):

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/dennis-deyoung-on-styx-reunion-the-vast-majority-of-fans-wanna-see-the-band-back-together-one-last-time/

I liked that interview because it was on KSHE-95 here in STL, which is somehow going strong (not sure how any FM radio station continues to thrive).  That was my go-to rock radio station for most of the 90s.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #973 on: December 26, 2021, 08:04:42 AM »
I liked that interview because it was on KSHE-95 here in STL, which is somehow going strong (not sure how any FM radio station continues to thrive).  That was my go-to rock radio station for most of the 90s.

I mentioned WHJY (94.1) in Providence in the DT Oh Holy Night thread. I've been listening to it since 1981, and it's still on. Other than sports talk radio (we have two stations in Boston), it's the only miusic station in my pre-sets.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #974 on: December 26, 2021, 08:28:37 AM »
Dennis at it again (haha):

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/dennis-deyoung-on-styx-reunion-the-vast-majority-of-fans-wanna-see-the-band-back-together-one-last-time/

Yes they do.  Those fans who never follow the band anymore who want to see the classic lineup. 

Yeah, those fair weather fans want Dennis because they don't know better.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #975 on: December 26, 2021, 08:31:30 AM »
Hey snob, what % of their set is made up of Dennis Era songs?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #976 on: December 26, 2021, 09:00:28 AM »
Hey fly by night fan. They are promoting a new album.  I don't hear you complain when Maiden plays new songs like the fair weather fans that haven't followed them since the 80's.

Get my point?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #977 on: December 26, 2021, 09:03:03 AM »
Hey fly by night fan. They are promoting a new album.  I don't hear you complain when Maiden plays new songs like the fair weather fans that haven't followed them since the 80's.

Get my point?

Not applicable.

The only applicable comparison is Journey. People want the original voice on the Classics. Plain and simple.

The Iron Maiden comparison doesn't work because the voice is the same.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #978 on: December 26, 2021, 09:39:40 AM »
Dennis doesn't need them anymore. I took my Dad to the very first The Grand Illusion show that Dennis did on 7/7/17. He and his band blew us away. Even my Dad, who is a huge Styx fan, said that there is no need for Dennis to get back with them. His band is tight and his Tommy clone, August Zadra, is excellent.

I would see a Dennis show again in a heartbeat. I have no desire to see the Tommy-show, or Dyx as TAC so nicely put it.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #979 on: December 26, 2021, 09:43:39 AM »
Wrong. I went to a concert in 2019 where Styx played all of The Mission. I knew going in this was one of a few special shows they would play the album in full.  After the intermission it was hit after hit after hit.

These old timer fans were dumbfounded they weren't playing hits. There wasn't cries fir DDY.  They only wanted the hits.

They had no clue it was a special show because the old fans don't pay attention to what these bands do.  They just think of the hits.

That's what made Maiden and Rush special.   They still tour behind new music that mattered.