Author Topic: Styx appreciation  (Read 83743 times)

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Styx appreciation
« Reply #910 on: November 02, 2021, 01:25:03 AM »
pg1067: Your writeups are really great, and as I am going to check out their albums (I'll be starting with Equinox and go from there) they'll be really helpful in my exploration.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #911 on: November 02, 2021, 06:22:51 AM »

This was the album that killed Styx.  DDY has admitted that this happened because of the shear power of his will (or something like that).  JY and Tommy have rightly talked a lot of smack about the album and, while JY brought some decent songs, Tommy did not.

That is my beef with Tommy and JY on this issue: they talk smack about it and blame it all on DDY, when they collectively had more songs on the album than he did.  :lol :lol  And DDY had the only two hits from it, so to blame it all on him seemed unfair, but Tommy and JY are no strangers to revisionist history. so there is that.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #912 on: November 02, 2021, 07:03:14 AM »

This was the album that killed Styx.  DDY has admitted that this happened because of the shear power of his will (or something like that).  JY and Tommy have rightly talked a lot of smack about the album and, while JY brought some decent songs, Tommy did not.

That is my beef with Tommy and JY on this issue: they talk smack about it and blame it all on DDY, when they collectively had more songs on the album than he did.  :lol :lol  And DDY had the only two hits from it, so to blame it all on him seemed unfair, but Tommy and JY are no strangers to revisionist history. so there is that.

I think it was the control factor that upset them.  Forced to do another concept from Dennis, forced to make a rock band act on stage.  That's what was ultimately the end of their marriage.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #913 on: November 02, 2021, 07:49:29 AM »
That was my take as well.  Tommy once pointed out that ten minutes into the "concert" they hadn't played any music yet.  Dennis was all into the theatrical elements of the show and pushing for more, while Tommy and JY just wanted to rock and roll.  Dennis admits that he got his way a lot of the time simply because he was the most insistent and pushed his ideas onto the others.  It's no surprise that the others came to resent that and, given the opportunity to get away from it, regardless of the circumstances and personal stuff Dennis was going through, they moved on without him.  I still think it was kind of a shitty thing to do, but I understand it.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #914 on: November 02, 2021, 10:59:28 AM »
I recall reading that they were often booed during this tour for the outfits and various other Kilroy related stuff.  They did break up during the tour.  A shame that a band that released superb albums from 'Equinox' through 'Paradise Theater' (stumbling with 'Cornerstone') would crash and burn in such a way.

My only knowledge about the tour comes from the Behind the Music episode.  They talk about starting the tour in small theaters to give a more intimate setting.  If you look at the dates on setlist.fm, they played places of the size that Dream Theater usually plays -- e.g., 4 shows in 5 days at the Pantages Theatre in Los Angeles (capacity ranging from just over 2,700 to just over 2,800), as opposed to the Paradise Theatre tour where they played 6 shows in 8 days at the Forum and the Sports arena (capacity of just over and just under 17k).  Based on what's available at setlist.fm, they played these sorts of venues from the start of the tour on March 11, 1983 until mid-May (they played a 4k seat theater in Chicago on April 29, and the next show was May 11 at the 19,500 seat Kemper Arena in Kansas City).  The one where they talk about getting booed mightily was the Texxas Jam show at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas.  It starts at 17:44 of this video:  https://youtu.be/b7slOg80T2M

It feels like the term "crash and burn" was invented for this band in 1983.

pg1067: Your writeups are really great, and as I am going to check out their albums (I'll be starting with Equinox and go from there) they'll be really helpful in my exploration.

:tup

I think it was the control factor that upset them.  Forced to do another concept from Dennis, forced to make a rock band act on stage.  That's what was ultimately the end of their marriage.

I mean yes and no.  Forced?  They could've put their feet down.  What was the decision making process in Styx in 1982?  Was it like DT, where whoever was willing to maintain his position the longest would win (kinda sounds like it)?  Did Chuck and John get a vote (and, if so, did they side with DDY)?  Or did they just leave it to the other three to make decisions and went along with those decisions.  Kev is right.  Tommy and JY had more songs than DDY.  They certainly could have imposed their will on DDY, but they obviously chose to back down.

Tommy and JY did The Big Interview with Dan Rather, and I need to rewatch that.  The only thing I remember is that they pretty much shit on any possibility of ever playing again with DDY.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #915 on: November 02, 2021, 11:04:54 AM »
The album as a whole certainly isn't good, but Mr. Roboto is a killer song.  I have always loved it and have never been embarrassed to admit it.   :metal

It was fun when Styx teased it in the middle of Edge of the Century on the Brave New World tour, and it was awesome to see Dennis' band play it live twice.  I'm glad that Styx is playing it again, and that's only due to Gowan's insistence.   

Edit:  Music Time was my true introduction to Styx.  My mom had the Caught in the Act live cassette and my brother and I would listen to it as kids in the 80's.  We LOVED Music Time. 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #916 on: November 02, 2021, 11:32:52 AM »
pg, I saw it.  They definitely said they'd never play with him again. 

I think you forget they kicked him out in the 70's between albums and when he came back he became assertive because of Babe's charting.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline jammindude

« Reply #917 on: November 02, 2021, 11:45:04 AM »
Re: what was the power structure in DDY’s own words.

“I think Styx is a democracy of which I am the president.” - from Behind the Music

That sentence alone made me roll my eyes and gave me much more of an understanding of why he’s gone.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #918 on: November 02, 2021, 06:11:12 PM »
DDY is on record, though, as saying that the Behind the Music special, which came out shortly after he was fired, was a hit piece against him, so I would take a lot of it with a grain of salt.  Not saying that he doesn't get his share of the blame in the pie chart, but I think there was plenty to go around, yet the Behind the Music thing made it sound like DDY was this evil tyrant and Tommy and JY were the innocent villagers who were finally free. 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #919 on: November 02, 2021, 06:20:43 PM »
How they acted leads to Dennis was overbearing and should have heard them out. There are so many examples of one guy forcing a band to move on.

I wonder where I could find that example? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #920 on: November 02, 2021, 06:23:19 PM »
How they acted leads to Dennis was overbearing and should have heard them out. There are so many examples of one guy forcing a band to move on.

I wonder where I could find that example? :lol

:lol :lol

Plenty of blame to go around.  The two camps are better off apart.  It sucks for Dennis that he got axed from the band considering he was the one most responsible for their success and the Styx brand name being valuable, but it is what it is.  We likely do not get The Mission and Crash of the Crown as they are if he was still in the band, so I can't say the decision hasn't worked out for this fan.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #921 on: November 02, 2021, 06:25:59 PM »
It sucks for Dennis that he got axed from the band considering he was the one most responsible for their success and the Styx brand name being valuable, but it is what it is. 

Didn't we talk about this like a year ago, where you said it was Tommy that was most responsible?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #922 on: November 02, 2021, 06:29:32 PM »
It sucks for Dennis that he got axed from the band considering he was the one most responsible for their success and the Styx brand name being valuable, but it is what it is. 

Didn't we talk about this like a year ago, where you said it was Tommy that was most responsible?

No, I never would have said that.  Tommy is 2nd in the pecking order, as he has the 2nd most hits/classic rock mainstays, but Dennis has the most in both regards.  The hits and the classic rock mainstays are what have made the Styx brand strong, not Gowan's spinning keyboard. :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #923 on: November 02, 2021, 06:29:38 PM »
No.  Kev has always said DDY was the biggest cog and he is correct. But even the catalyst for success and be the downfall of a band.

Sometimes that level of fame isn't worth it.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #924 on: November 02, 2021, 06:41:04 PM »
Who was I arguing with then?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #925 on: November 02, 2021, 06:43:00 PM »

Probably someone who foolishly tried to tell you that Power Windows wasn't awesome.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #926 on: November 02, 2021, 06:46:43 PM »

Probably someone who foolishly tried to tell you that Power Windows wasn't awesome.

Amen brotha!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #927 on: November 02, 2021, 06:47:34 PM »

Amen brotha!

You guys don't think that Power Windows was awesome?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #928 on: November 02, 2021, 06:51:51 PM »
Reading skills for Tim.

Yoda - "This one is not strong reading the with."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #929 on: November 02, 2021, 06:53:35 PM »
Reading skills for Tim.

Yoda - "This one is not strong reading the with."

Tim makes fun of it, but you know this is him every night before he goes to bed when listening to Middletown Dreams:

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #930 on: November 02, 2021, 06:56:21 PM »
Secretly,  he loves the lyrics to Territories.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #931 on: November 02, 2021, 07:07:31 PM »
I'm only human. :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #932 on: November 02, 2021, 07:15:37 PM »

Now he's quoting the Human League.   :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #933 on: November 02, 2021, 07:18:35 PM »

Now he's quoting the Human League.   :lol

I love you too much. ;D

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #934 on: November 02, 2021, 07:26:22 PM »
 :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #935 on: November 02, 2021, 07:28:01 PM »
As Chad says, I'm next level! :lol

I should sig that.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #936 on: November 02, 2021, 07:37:00 PM »

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #937 on: November 02, 2021, 07:47:52 PM »
Shut your whore mouth Kev.  :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #938 on: November 03, 2021, 10:08:36 AM »
DDY is on record, though, as saying that the Behind the Music special, which came out shortly after he was fired, was a hit piece against him, so I would take a lot of it with a grain of salt.  Not saying that he doesn't get his share of the blame in the pie chart, but I think there was plenty to go around, yet the Behind the Music thing made it sound like DDY was this evil tyrant and Tommy and JY were the innocent villagers who were finally free.

I didn't really get the feeling that the show itself took that position, but it was pretty obvious that Tommy and JY were throwing DDY under the bus and engaging in revisionist history.

My sense is that DDY was definitely "president" of the band and likely overbearing (kinda like a certain drummer we know).  Tommy and JY accepted DDY's dictatorial leanings as long as it resulted in platinum albums.  However, when the hit machine ran dry, they couldn't make up the slack and therefore pilloried DDY for "forcing" things on them that they didn't want.

Might've been me, although I'm not sure I'd call it an argument (just a friendly debate between folks who truly understand Power Windows).

Classic Rock Staples/Hits
Lady*
Suite Madame Blue*
Crystal Ball
Come Sail Away
Fooling Yourself
Blue Collar Man
Renegade

Babe
Too Much Time on My Hands
The Best of Times
Mr. Roboto
Don't Let It End

There are a few other songs that charted, but I think calling them "hits" would be a stretch.  If you take out the two songs from before Tommy was in the band, it's even, and if you only consider Equinox through Paradise Theatre, Tommy "wins" 5-4.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #939 on: November 03, 2021, 02:44:18 PM »
Something that I don't think comes up enough, which is probably because others don't consider as important as I do, but Dennis was a founding member of the band.  Dennis and the Panozzo brothers started the band when they were teenagers.  Curulewski, JY, and Shaw all came later.

This means that at some point, each of the guitarists joined the band that DDY helped found.  Fair or not, I'd think that in the back of Dennis' mind there was always a sense of "hey, you joined this band, so if you don't like it, you can leave".  Sure, after years of playing together, and several gold and platinum albums, being a member for a few years longer than the others may not seem like much of a difference to outsiders, but within the band, or at least in Dennis' mind, there was always that distinction.  It was more "his band" than Tommy's or JY's.  And I would bet that Tommy and JY didn't see it that way.  When they chose to move forward without him, maybe they weren't kicking him out as such, but the band had to go on and Dennis wasn't able to continue.  Dennis meanwhile saw it as being kicked out of his own band.  I've read almost nothing from the Panozzos, ever, so presumably they were both rather quiet guys (at least compared to the "big three") and stayed clear of the drama.  But the short version is that Dennis always saw it as his band, and he was ultimately kicked out of it by guys that he had brought in.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #940 on: November 03, 2021, 03:57:11 PM »

There are a few other songs that charted, but I think calling them "hits" would be a stretch.  If you take out the two songs from before Tommy was in the band, it's even, and if you only consider Equinox through Paradise Theatre, Tommy "wins" 5-4.

Okay, but why would be stop at Paradise Theatre?  Mr. Roboto, Don't Let It End and Show Me the Way were all massive hits that helped keep the Styx brand going, so they count. 

Something that I don't think comes up enough, which is probably because others don't consider as important as I do, but Dennis was a founding member of the band.  Dennis and the Panozzo brothers started the band when they were teenagers.  Curulewski, JY, and Shaw all came later.

This means that at some point, each of the guitarists joined the band that DDY helped found.  Fair or not, I'd think that in the back of Dennis' mind there was always a sense of "hey, you joined this band, so if you don't like it, you can leave".  Sure, after years of playing together, and several gold and platinum albums, being a member for a few years longer than the others may not seem like much of a difference to outsiders, but within the band, or at least in Dennis' mind, there was always that distinction.  It was more "his band" than Tommy's or JY's.  And I would bet that Tommy and JY didn't see it that way.  When they chose to move forward without him, maybe they weren't kicking him out as such, but the band had to go on and Dennis wasn't able to continue.  Dennis meanwhile saw it as being kicked out of his own band.  I've read almost nothing from the Panozzos, ever, so presumably they were both rather quiet guys (at least compared to the "big three") and stayed clear of the drama.  But the short version is that Dennis always saw it as his band, and he was ultimately kicked out of it by guys that he had brought in.

Excellent post.  :tup :tup

Offline pg1067

« Reply #941 on: November 03, 2021, 04:24:01 PM »

I feel certain you're right about DDY's mindset.

I think the Panozzos are actually kind of fascinating and would love to get Chuck's take on some of this stuff (has anyone here read his autobiography?).  If you take it to (probably ridiculous) extremes, THEY are the founding members, and DDY joined THEIR band.  You could even factor in that Chuck left the band for a year and was replaced by a guy named Tom Nardini, with Chuck switching to bass once he returned.  Nardini left, JC joined, followed by JY.

As a fan, I sort of see it as nothing before the first album matters (e.g., I don't consider Jeff Jones to have been a member of Rush), so the initial band was the Panozzos, DDY, JC and JY.  Obviously, Tommy is "the new guy" (at least through the first break up).

As with a lot of situations like this, I would LOVE to see how the band is structured legally.  The only thing I discern without spending way more time than I have is that, regardless of who wrote the songs, Styx's classic era songs were published by Almo Music Corp. and "Stygian Songs."  In 1986, Almo Music Corp. was merged (along with two other corporations) into its corporate parent, Rondo Music International, Inc., which, in 2019, was merged into Universal Music Corp.  The conclusion I draw from that is that the record company or management was getting a cut of publishing.  Not sure about Stygian Songs.  It doesn't have "Inc." in the name, and it was not incorporated (or organized as an LLC) in any of Illinois, California, New York and Delaware.

When you have guys in the band with few or no writing credits (e.g., the Panozzos and Ian Hill), you wonder if they are receiving any publishing income and how much voting power they have in band affairs.  At this point, it's obviously Tommy and JY calling the shots, but Chuck presumably still has the same voting power he's always had.  Are Gowan, Sucherman and Phillips "hired guns" (a la Scott Travis in Judas Priest) or are they "full members" of the band?  Inquiring minds want to know!

Okay, but why would be stop at Paradise Theatre?  Mr. Roboto, Don't Let It End and Show Me the Way were all massive hits that helped keep the Styx brand going, so they count. 

You're right about the Kilroy songs, and I already made the point that Tommy brought squat to the Kilroy party.  Show Me the Way was a hit, but it's not in the "classic rock staple" category, and I was only looking at the "classic era."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #942 on: November 03, 2021, 06:59:38 PM »
Good questions regarding the legal stuff.  I suspect that during the 70s and 80s, they were all equal partners, given that they were able to fire DDY briefly around the time Cornerstone was released (he was rehired weeks later, IIRC), so I am guessing they had to have had a majority vote to make it happen.

I doubt the non-writers get any publishing income, but I am sure they would still have voting power if they are an official member of the band, ala Chuck Panozzo, who I believe is still a part of the band, which I suspect is partly out of courtesy since he is a longtime member and partly so they can still say 3/5 of the classic lineup is still intact (for the 1-2 shows a year Chuck shows up :lol).

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #943 on: November 03, 2021, 07:03:26 PM »
Lucky for me I saw The Mission in full and Chuck was there for the show.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #944 on: November 03, 2021, 07:10:59 PM »
Time for them to do a tour and play The Mission and Crash of the Crown back to back in full.  :hat :hat