Author Topic: Star Trek: Thread Space 9  (Read 279878 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: Star Trek: Thread Space 9
« Reply #4690 on: July 07, 2023, 07:31:39 AM »
I liked this one, too.  Adventure of the week, with some continuity to previous episodes and lore.  That's the way, uh-huh (uh-huh), I like it.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #4691 on: July 07, 2023, 08:27:59 AM »
I liked this one, too.  Adventure of the week, with some continuity to previous episodes and lore.  That's the way, uh-huh (uh-huh), I like it.

Yeah...this was a fun one as well. Been a pretty solid series.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4692 on: July 07, 2023, 04:22:40 PM »
Out of the country for a bit, so will have to catch this and the next two episodes when I get back. Looking forward to it though!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #4693 on: July 09, 2023, 02:03:55 PM »
Lots to like in that episode. Great. 👍
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4694 on: July 10, 2023, 04:34:23 AM »
Decent outing.  Old school Trek episode, let down slightly by a rushed conclusion.  However it was good to see Ortegas finally get a major role in an episode.

Online DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #4695 on: July 13, 2023, 04:27:00 PM »
This week's is great. Possibly my favourite SNW ep yet.

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #4696 on: July 13, 2023, 07:08:58 PM »
This week's is great. Possibly my favourite SNW ep yet.

I think they somehow channeled my mother-in-law to write the dialogue for T'Pring's mother as if she were talking to me. Man, just, flashbacks.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4697 on: July 13, 2023, 08:38:08 PM »
I kept thinking that I shouldn't like this episode, with all the retconning to Spock and T'Pring's relationship, making Spock into a complete buffoon (in front of all the ladies, even!), the horrible clichéd future mother-in-law whose own daughter can't even stand her... ugh, so much to hate.

But somehow I found myself laughing and really enjoying it.  Sevet (T'Pring's dad) was so whipped I just wanted to slap him, but he provided some nice comic relief.  Kirk trying his damnedest to make it work, and partially succeeding; everybody pitching in to help Spock, each playing to their strengths, and showing what a great team they really are, it all worked.  Even the plot with the aliens-of-the-week (Yellow and Blue?  Really?) mostly worked.  What the heck, it's Star Trek.

4.5 bacon-wrapped Vulcan hors d'oeuvres out of 5.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #4698 on: July 14, 2023, 10:20:33 AM »
I really enjoyed this and thought it was almost perfectly done . . . until that last scene. Just trying too hard there.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4699 on: July 14, 2023, 10:29:03 AM »
:lol  I'm not an Evil Dead guy and I can't think of anything I've actually seen Bruce Campbell in, but I've seen stillls, and this is 100% correct.
I've given this advice to several people and they've all appreciated it afterward. I doubt you'll take it, but I'd be remiss not to offer it up. Take a plate, put it on you coffee table, and dump a big pile of grass on it. Get to loading bowls and watch Evil Dead II. It's a totally different movie than the first, and not as silly as Army of Darkness. A perfect blend of dark comedy and horror.

Bruce Campbell was also great as the elderly Elvis Presley in Bubba Ho-Tep, but it wasn't a particularity good movie. Bruce with Ossie Davis as John F. Kennedy was a great pair, though.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #4700 on: July 21, 2023, 03:59:34 AM »
Slightly underwhelmed by this week's. Fine but wasn't pumped. Kirk getting more Kirk-y.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4701 on: July 21, 2023, 08:15:28 AM »
Slightly underwhelmed by this week's. Fine but wasn't pumped. Kirk getting more Kirk-y.

The story of the episode was 'blah'.....pretty generic. But, the difference between a 'blah' episode on SNW and one on Discovery is the actors/casting. The cast/actors in SNW force you to care about whatever it is they're going through or doing. So while this was a pretty rudimentary story on it's surface.....they saved the episode by being just 'better' at acting than the cast of Discovery.

Online DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #4702 on: July 21, 2023, 03:04:24 PM »
For sure. I'm really enjoying the crew on SNW.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #4703 on: July 23, 2023, 07:26:34 PM »
Crossover episode started out slowly but I ended up liking it a lot. Kudos to all involved. Directed by Frakes!

Offline Nefarius

• Named Nefarius since before it was cool.
« Reply #4704 on: July 24, 2023, 06:41:04 AM »

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4705 on: July 24, 2023, 07:31:50 AM »
Is JTK a regular character now? The two ships just always in the same neighborhood teaming up or something?
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Adami

« Reply #4706 on: July 24, 2023, 07:35:46 AM »
Is JTK a regular character now? The two ships just always in the same neighborhood teaming up or something?

I’m behind a few episodes, but he’s only shown up I think once this season thus far and it was an alternate reality thing.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4707 on: July 24, 2023, 07:59:13 AM »

I’m behind a few episodes, but he’s only shown up I think once this season thus far and it was an alternate reality thing.

He was also in the last episode too.  Actually the actors performance is really growing on me - he's playing a slightly more dorky version of the character, but it works fine.  Also while complimenting the cast - I think Ethan Peck's portrayal of Spock is fantastic, much better than Zachary Quinto (who always felt like a watered down Nimoy).

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4708 on: July 25, 2023, 01:58:14 AM »
Crossover episode - hmmm.  Positives - Best episode of Lower Decks, Negatives - Worse episode of SNW   ;D

It was OK I guess, but literally the most obvious storyline they could tell.  The fanboi'ing was as predictable as it was annoying, because basically that's Lower Decks MO.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4709 on: July 25, 2023, 08:38:51 AM »
He was also in the last episode too.  Actually the actors performance is really growing on me - he's playing a slightly more dorky version of the character, but it works fine.  Also while complimenting the cast - I think Ethan Peck's portrayal of Spock is fantastic, much better than Zachary Quinto (who always felt like a watered down Nimoy).

100%  If it's a competition it's not even close. Peck has the advantage because his voice is deeper like Nemoy's was which you naturally then can just relate it to Spock. Quinto's voice didn't have that 'chunk' or 'meat' behind it.

Then you just get to the portrayal of Spock where Peck is really good at the mannerisms of a Vulcan whereas Quinto wasn't.

Offline Adami

« Reply #4710 on: July 25, 2023, 08:48:35 AM »
I was excited when I heard that Sylar was going to play Spock, I dig the guy in general. But he wasn't at all Spock like, other than his looks. But really that entire cast was either unrelated to their TOS counterparts or just doing fun parodies of them.

The current Uhura and Spock (and what little I've seen of Kirk) are little like their TOS counterparts either, but I actually like them. Peck is doing a new interesting Spock while not being much like the original. I honestly don't think anyone can really capture the essence of Spock the way Nimoy did, so I don't expect that. Peck is doing a good job with his own thing and isn't annoying the way the JJ cast was (to me) ((though maybe not counting Urban who just brought a lot of charm to his parody).
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #4711 on: July 25, 2023, 08:53:05 AM »
I really liked the crossover episode. I watched the Ready Room aftershow for it and Frakes said they wanted full-on comedy for the whole thing which he loved. It was a total camp episode playing solely for humor.

What I am not looking forward to is the upcoming musical episode. I hate those. They are usually filled with terrible singing, poor lip-syncing of their own vocals, etc. I remember the musical episode of The Magicians was horrible. I know Christina Chong is actually a singer but don't know about the rest of the crew. Either way, not looking forward to that.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4712 on: July 25, 2023, 09:12:36 AM »
Musical Trek episodes are my least favorite. I shudder at the memory of that terrible Bashir musical episode from ds9

Offline Adami

« Reply #4713 on: July 26, 2023, 05:46:55 PM »
Finally caught up!

The amnesia episode was surprisingly good. Been done before to some degree, but I like how they handled it.

The Spock one was...fine. The humor was good, but it felt a bit too much like a Spock retcon to me. Not awful though.

The hallucination one started off a bit meh, but I came around. Very Trek-ish. I get they are re-writing a lot of these characters, so it's a bit tough to see a completely new Uhura that has little in common with the other one, but I mostly dig it.

The crossover one was very fun. Not deep or anything, but funny and enjoyable. I love Jack Quaid and this was one of the few times Mariner was tolerable. I was kind of hoping that before they went back we'd peak through and see the other animated characters in real life.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4714 on: July 27, 2023, 02:19:37 AM »
so it's a bit tough to see a completely new Uhura that has little in common with the other one, but I mostly dig it.

To be fair sadly there wasn't a huge amount of characterisation to Nichelle Nichols Uhura. 

On the show in general.  I feel like I'm ready for some really good, great episodes now.  We have the characters nailed, they've proved they can write fun, lightweight episodes - now let's take it to the next level please.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2023, 02:44:31 AM by soupytwist »

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #4715 on: July 27, 2023, 07:58:28 AM »
Sorry if this has been discussed, but I'm 1000% sure that Scotty being on Pike's Enterprise is canon - I wonder if they'll introduce his character later this season or maybe next season? It makes a hell of a lot more sense for him to be there than Kirk. Having Kirk reeks of desperation as if they're not convinced they'll retain their viewership without having good old James T featured.

If I'm Anson Mount, I'm actually a little pissed about this Kirk stuff. He's nailing this role and shouldn't have to worry about sharing screen time with everyone's favorite future Captain.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2023, 08:09:18 AM by Dream Team »

Online DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #4716 on: July 27, 2023, 08:19:36 AM »
I feel a bit that way about Kirk. I don't mind this iteration of him (much prefer Chris Pine) but I think I'd be happier if he hadn't (yet) been featured.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4717 on: July 27, 2023, 09:38:00 PM »
Watched all of about a minute of the crossover episode.....don't know any of those characters so just skipped it. I liked this weeks episode....got a little more backstory for some characters.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4718 on: July 28, 2023, 01:16:27 PM »
Watched all of about a minute of the crossover episode.....don't know any of those characters so just skipped it. I liked this weeks episode....got a little more backstory for some characters.

The first couple minutes of the crossover episode was just to give you background on Boimler and Mariner, the two characters who cross over into the SNW timeline.  Once they do cross over, they become live action and it's all SNW from there, except a finishing tag back in Lower Decks timeline and a little surprise thingy that I won't spoil.  But it's not necessary to know anything about them beforehand.  I'd say go ahead and watch it.  Like any good crossover episode, background info on the characters only helps, but you're given enough to work with for the episode at hand.  I only watched half a dozen episodes of Lower Decks before deciding that it wasn't really for me, but I thought both Boimler and Mariner were well done overall, and the episode itself was well done and a lot of fun.

The latest episode ("Under the Cloak of War") was also pretty good.  I liked the M*A*S*H unit on the Moon of J'Gal and everything felt pretty real.  Nice twist toward the end there, too, and we're starting to see some answers to the questions people are having about continuity with TOS.

SNW in my opinion is doing an good job both respecting TOS continuity and fleshing out the characters, which is a fine line to walk.  I predict that something will happen between Spock and Chapel which will lead them to decide to just totally forget their relationship, and act like there's no history between them and never was.  And M'Benga will obviously face disciplinary action, which will explain his demotion and assignment by time Kirk takes over the Enterprise in TOS.  Last week's episode dropped some hints about what happens to Una, and I expect there will be more there, too.  Overall, I like how they're handling it.

Online DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #4719 on: July 31, 2023, 12:22:14 AM »
Loved the crossover episode. LD and SNW are where it's at for me and mine so we were essentially delighted throughout.  ;D

The war one was also really good. I like M'Benga so was good to see more about him and he plays serious with Chapel really well. I wonder what his long term arc will be.

Can't believe we've done 8 out of 10 eps already. Don't want this season to end!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4720 on: July 31, 2023, 12:34:09 AM »
I kept waiting for the head of the MASH unit to offer them Tranya.  ;)
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4721 on: July 31, 2023, 07:22:05 AM »
Clint Howard is one of those guys who shows up in different things (especially different Trek things) and I always recognize him, but never remember who he is.  He's that guy I recognize.  Then the credits roll, and it was Clint Howard!

Online DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #4722 on: July 31, 2023, 09:31:03 AM »
I remember him from Tango & Cash, weirdly!

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4723 on: August 01, 2023, 06:46:28 AM »
Good episode - but I'm starting to get a little off put by Pike’s consistent passiveness with… everything. He seems to exist in nearly every episode this season as a captain on the sidelines letting the crew just act however impulsively and unprofessionally as they want.  He's just starting to come across as a weak Captain.

Offline Adami

« Reply #4724 on: August 01, 2023, 06:49:44 AM »
Good episode - but I'm starting to get a little off put by Pike’s consistent passiveness with… everything. He seems to exist in nearly every episode this season as a captain on the sidelines letting the crew just act however impulsively and unprofessionally as they want.  He's just starting to come across as a weak Captain.

This is actually a good point. Other than the memory loss episode, Pike hasn’t really done much but be technically present.
fanticide.bandcamp.com