Author Topic: Re: DT16 Timeline Thread - John finished recording guitar parts  (Read 101718 times)

lightbug, EvantheMotel6Owmer, ReaperKK, gborland, jonny108 and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: DT16 Timeline Thread - Writing continues
« Reply #1680 on: April 01, 2024, 05:58:10 AM »
Yeah, I agree with most of the rest of that post, but I'm not at all salivating for a Metropolis Part 3.  Let it go. I just love what appears to be the energy in the room.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1681 on: April 01, 2024, 06:09:57 AM »
Yeah, I don't think they would do Met3, but who knows. I'm guessing we will get some information mid-to-late May, hopefully with some tour dates along with it.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #1682 on: April 01, 2024, 06:19:09 AM »
I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again. No sequels please. To anything. Bringing back MP and just trying to recreate the past would be the ultimate sign that DT is creatively spent and has nothing left to say.

Offline emtee

« Reply #1683 on: April 01, 2024, 06:20:16 AM »
It's interesting how differently bands approach the creative/writing process. Music before lyrics, lyrics before music, lots of riff ideas gathered throughout months, no riff ideas when entering the studio. Neil Young gave an interview one time and said that when an idea comes into his consciousness,  no matter when, even if it's during a holiday gathering meal or the middle of the night, he has to act on it immediately.

I'm excited for whatever they create.

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #1684 on: April 01, 2024, 06:30:32 AM »
A Metropolis pt3 is the wet dream of most of DT fans.

Please no.

I love SFAM. DT can do another concept album but no Metropolis story. DT has a great sense of creating concept album musically but IMO they've failed to create good story so far. Both SFAM and Astonishing stories are cringe to me. That doesn't mean they can't write a good story but if they want another concept album do it with a new story at least, not Metropolis...
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1685 on: April 01, 2024, 07:41:44 AM »
The “something special” is that it’s the “classic” DT lineup recording again for the first time in over a decade. I don’t think it needs to be any more than that.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1686 on: April 01, 2024, 08:07:58 AM »
Yeah, I don't think they would do Met3, but who knows. I'm guessing we will get some information mid-to-late May, hopefully with some tour dates along with it.

Maybe it'll be octavarium part 2? 8x2 =dt16 nuggz

Offline Trav86

« Reply #1687 on: April 01, 2024, 08:46:37 AM »
The “something special” is that it’s the “classic” DT lineup recording again for the first time in over a decade. I don’t think it needs to be any more than that.

Works for me.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1688 on: April 01, 2024, 09:10:40 AM »
Metropolis pt3 is the wet dream of most of DT fans
That's just crazy talk.

There is certainly a subset of fans that would like such a thing, but I doubt very seriously that is something that any majority of fans is hoping for.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1689 on: April 01, 2024, 09:11:42 AM »
My dream album would be something like Disc 1 from Six Degrees. I can listen to it over and over without getting burned out.

Online gborland

« Reply #1690 on: April 01, 2024, 09:17:07 AM »
I do not want Metropolis part 3.

I do think it would be really cool, though, if they dropped in the tiniest nugget - literally just a couple of seconds - of the Metropolis melody ("there must be the third and last dance...") just to completely screw with us.  ;D
Graham Borland

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #1691 on: April 01, 2024, 09:44:51 AM »

Hexakaidecarium

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1692 on: April 01, 2024, 09:56:41 AM »
A Metropolis pt3 is the wet dream of most some unknown number of DT fans

FTFY

Putting aside things like "most DT fans think John Myung is a great bass player," there are probably VERY few intelligent generalizations that one can make about DT fans.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
« Reply #1693 on: April 01, 2024, 10:25:35 AM »
Let me share my thoughts here.
Even though i wasn't happy with MP back in the band, now i am excited for the album.

Same. And the way I've chosen to look at is that this is (the fact that it's the classic lineup aside) a new incarnation of the band. It's an entirely new era with new life experiences and influences.

That said, I am choosing to hear the new album with fresh ears and an open mind, with no preconceived notions. This isn't the past returned. It isn't even really a continuation of any of the previous eras. It's a new beginning.

If I look at it from any other angle, I am almost certain to be disappointed. I'm not expecting anything. Just welcoming whatever is to come with cautious optimism, and with the reserved hope that this new era will blow us away.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1694 on: April 01, 2024, 11:00:02 AM »
FTFY

Putting aside things like "most DT fans think John Myung is a great bass player," there are probably VERY few intelligent generalizations that one can make about DT fans.

We're all pretty good looking.  I think that's fair.  :)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1695 on: April 01, 2024, 11:00:43 AM »
I'm not expecting anything. Just welcoming whatever is to come with cautious optimism, and with the reserved hope that this new era will blow us away.

I love this. 

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1696 on: April 01, 2024, 11:12:50 AM »
I love this.
Same, but if I am being honest, while I am excited to hear new music I think I am more excited for a tour.

Would be interesting to be at the opening night for the tour

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1697 on: April 01, 2024, 11:33:54 AM »
Same, but if I am being honest, while I am excited to hear new music I think I am more excited for a tour.

Would be interesting to be at the opening night for the tour

I'm with you; and I'm sorry to our friends across the globe, but I'm hoping where we live puts that within shouting distance. I don't recall where all the previous tours started (though I can look that up) but I know John's solo tour was rooted in the tri-state area at first.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1698 on: April 01, 2024, 11:44:35 AM »
I'm with you; and I'm sorry to our friends across the globe, but I'm hoping where we live puts that within shouting distance. I don't recall where all the previous tours started (though I can look that up) but I know John's solo tour was rooted in the tri-state area at first.

I'd imagine the first show would be a "home town" concert, somewhere in NY, if not near or in Long Island directly. Gotta bring it all back to where it started, right?

Then I imagine whatever tour they have next year for the band's 40th Anniversary will END with a home town show in NY, which would be a great place to record a live concert. Imagine the crowd at a show like that? Celebrating forty years of DT, a year+ after the "classic line-up" has reunited and already toured the world* between 2024-2025. It'll be one for the ages I'm sure.

*I'd like to imagine DT will have an extensive tour following the completion of DT16, doing some shows this year as a Reunion/Warm-Up tour, then a proper album tour across as many markets as possible. I'm sure venues and promoters would be willing to fit in a "reunited DT" show on their schedules, and I'm also sure Inside Out is eager to get them back on the road with MP back in the band. It'll probably be their most publicized tour to date.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1699 on: April 01, 2024, 11:45:06 AM »
That's the thing, I think DT tends to start their US tours in the SW, so California, Arizona area. I think DreamSonic Opened in Texas.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1700 on: April 01, 2024, 12:00:04 PM »
As far as I can tell, the oldest, still operating venue where DT played is Toad's Place in New Haven, CT.  Maybe a "secret" warm-up show there.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Kram

« Reply #1701 on: April 01, 2024, 12:09:03 PM »
That's the thing, I think DT tends to start their US tours in the SW, so California, Arizona area. I think DreamSonic Opened in Texas.
I know they started the DOT/SFAM tour here in San Diego.  I believe they also started a leg of the ADTOE tour here as well.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1702 on: April 01, 2024, 12:48:45 PM »
As far as I can tell, the oldest, still operating venue where DT played is Toad's Place in New Haven, CT.  Maybe a "secret" warm-up show there.

Don't even tease me. I can be there in 45 minutes, and have seen some great bands there (alas, not DT).  Marillion, Cheap Trick, Night Ranger, Ace Frehley, Wolfgang Van Halen...  I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly after the Marillion show. I followed proper urinal etiquette and kept my eyes down and didn't say a word.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1703 on: April 01, 2024, 01:09:22 PM »
Don't even tease me. I can be there in 45 minutes, and have seen some great bands there (alas, not DT).  Marillion, Cheap Trick, Night Ranger, Ace Frehley, Wolfgang Van Halen...  I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly after the Marillion show. I followed proper urinal etiquette and kept my eyes down and didn't say a word.

Uh, I believe proper etiquette is eyes forward.  :-\

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1704 on: April 01, 2024, 03:07:46 PM »
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
As long as you didn't pee on them.

Hexakaidecarium
I've seen crazier album names. I'm all for it.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #1705 on: April 01, 2024, 03:14:50 PM »
Hell no.

Metropolis is my favorite DT song. SFAM is my favorite DT album and possibly my favorite album of all time. Having said that, there is no overarching Metropolis story that needs to continue. Lyrics to part 1 were poetic random lines and the band admitted they tagged it "part 1" for the lulz. SFAM's plot is, ehm, "heavily inspired" by the movie Dead Again, and I mean Stockholm Syndrome-Never Enough level. It took all the awesomeness of the music to distract people from how feeble and forced the lyrical references were.

There is no story and there never was and there is zero need for "Metropolis part 3". What would be even about? how would a song with some musical references to Metropolis sound fresh and not another Shattered Fortess-like mashup?

Agree with most of this!

I wouldn't want them to force a Metropolis 3 or another concept album, just for the hell of it.

Just a bunch of great tunes will be enough for me.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1706 on: April 01, 2024, 06:53:30 PM »
Marlene seems pretty confident even without lyrics or vocals.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1707 on: April 02, 2024, 01:53:43 AM »
Marlene seems pretty confident even without lyrics or vocals.

I'm glad she's excited but come on.... she's Mike's wife. She's hardly gonna say "so my husband got a way busier schedule and is gonna be away from home more often for this generic crap?"  :D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #1708 on: April 02, 2024, 07:03:57 AM »

One time I was at the Paramount in Denver, which, if you haven't been to, has a fun basement section with another bar and the coat check (it's an old, old theater). Sometimes when I go there I like to hang out pre-show in that area because it tends to be quieter and less people, etc. Easy to meet up with folks.

Anyway, the last time I was there seeing Dream Theater, 2022 Top of the World Tour, I was down there doing my normal thing when I went to the bathroom. When I walked in, I was totally alone, so I walked about 85-90% down the row of Urinals, leaving one, maybe two urinals to my left, and about 8 or so to my right. Anyway, I'm standing there heeding the call of nature when out of the din of laughter from a crowd outside I hear footsteps stride into the bathroom. Looking forward, and trying not to turn my head (I wanted to follow urinal ettiquette), I didn't know who walked into the bathroom until the dude strolled up all the way to the urinal immediately to my right and also started heeding the call of nature. My first thought was, "Damn, this guy doesn't have urinal ettiquette, kind of weird to just slide right up to me when there were so many other ones to pick from," but as I zipped up and began towards the sinks, I realized who it was who had just slid up next to me. None other than Jordan Rudess. Never got a chance to talk to him, but it makes for a funny story.

The only other time I met a member of DT was MP at an Opeth show in New York City circa 2008 or so. No urinal story there, just a normal chance encounter/handshake.
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1709 on: April 02, 2024, 07:25:05 AM »
One time I was at the Paramount in Denver, which, if you haven't been to, has a fun basement section with another bar and the coat check (it's an old, old theater). Sometimes when I go there I like to hang out pre-show in that area because it tends to be quieter and less people, etc. Easy to meet up with folks.

Anyway, the last time I was there seeing Dream Theater, 2022 Top of the World Tour, I was down there doing my normal thing when I went to the bathroom. When I walked in, I was totally alone, so I walked about 85-90% down the row of Urinals, leaving one, maybe two urinals to my left, and about 8 or so to my right. Anyway, I'm standing there heeding the call of nature when out of the din of laughter from a crowd outside I hear footsteps stride into the bathroom. Looking forward, and trying not to turn my head (I wanted to follow urinal ettiquette), I didn't know who walked into the bathroom until the dude strolled up all the way to the urinal immediately to my right and also started heeding the call of nature. My first thought was, "Damn, this guy doesn't have urinal ettiquette, kind of weird to just slide right up to me when there were so many other ones to pick from," but as I zipped up and began towards the sinks, I realized who it was who had just slid up next to me. None other than Jordan Rudess. Never got a chance to talk to him, but it makes for a funny story.

The only other time I met a member of DT was MP at an Opeth show in New York City circa 2008 or so. No urinal story there, just a normal chance encounter/handshake.
While I told the story of meeting JP multiple times, one time before a show in 2019, I went to a bar to grab a beer before a show (Barstool warrior beer was available at the bar). At one point, Jordan came into the bar and started taking pictures with people since most of us were just waiting for the show  :metal

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #1710 on: April 02, 2024, 08:12:57 AM »
I met DT in 2004 after the show by  buying a platinum ticket. I enjoyed it. I've also met MP a couple times at his own signings.

But my favorite encounter was the night Live at Luna Park was in theaters in 2012. I went to the showing in Dedham, MA with a couple friends. There were mayybe 15-20 people in the audience. One of them just so happened to be new DT member Mike Mangini, there to watch with his crew. He was at the front of the audience and no one bothered him, but he did stick around after the showing and took pictures. Insanely nice guy and my crew were the last to meet him, so we all ended up walking out together. The only thing I remember was that he told a funny story about how Christopher MacDonald aka Shooter McGavin called him to congratulate him on the DT gig. Such a surreal experience, seeing one of the guys in the wild like that.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1711 on: April 02, 2024, 08:18:08 AM »

So my takeaway is Jordan doesn't understand common urinal etiquette.  If this doesn't scream "Bring back Kevin Moore!!!" I don't know what does!    :) :) :) :)

(FYI, I am TOTALLY joking here.)

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #1712 on: April 02, 2024, 08:27:14 AM »
So my takeaway is Jordan doesn't understand common urinal etiquette.  If this doesn't scream "Bring back Kevin Moore!!!" I don't know what does!    :) :) :) :)

now that MP is back the chances of them playing SDV are probably 0, lol
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline HOF

« Reply #1713 on: April 02, 2024, 08:30:16 AM »

Kevin Moore probably goes for the stall.

Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1714 on: April 02, 2024, 08:36:20 AM »
Kev would probably smile and learn to pretend.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.