Author Topic: Steven Wilson  (Read 317489 times)

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
Re: Steven Wilson
« Reply #2765 on: November 07, 2013, 06:39:27 PM »
Just came by to say that "Deform to form a star" is one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard. I'm addicted to the joy it makes me feel.

Amen Nekov, Amen.

Just now listening to it...gorgeous!   :heart
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #2766 on: November 11, 2013, 10:29:42 PM »
Limited edition Lasse Hoile shirts and prints- https://www.bricksite.com/mailorderbabies/page1

Of course I ordered myself a Bird-man one to go with my tattoo :D
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #2767 on: November 12, 2013, 02:32:52 AM »
I saw those shirts, I like very much but they only seem available in the US so far, unless I'm just not seeing the UK option.

I got a cool grey t-shirt at one of his shows a few weeks back, based on Drive Home. The sizing is crazy though, I got a medium and it's tight even though I'm a UK size 8-10 (US 4-6?)!
Every story needs to have an ending, we might as well give up all this pretending and clear the air...

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #2768 on: November 12, 2013, 08:38:01 AM »
Ugh, I hate that shit! No consistency with sizing. The site for these says they are "true to size" so I ordered a women's large (sometimes I get an XL if I want comfier), but we'll see.

You'd think they'd have a UK option, but I of course didn't look for one. Lame!
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2769 on: November 12, 2013, 09:26:32 AM »
I always hate buying clothing online.

Offline Rob801

« Reply #2770 on: November 23, 2013, 01:40:27 AM »
Going to see SW tonight... Can't wait!!!!  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2771 on: November 23, 2013, 03:43:17 AM »
Going to see SW tonight... Can't wait!!!!  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

You all are lucky... :tup
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Rob801

« Reply #2772 on: November 23, 2013, 09:52:02 AM »
Thanks... I feel very lucky that they are playing so close to where I live especially when I feel slightly removed from everything otherwise. I live in the sticks in a small country, but I'm still 45 min from the second largest city so I get lucky once in a while... gotta go all the way to Copenhagen for DT unfortunately.

The strange thing is I didn't even know who SW was six months ago (a friend asked if I wanted to go see Marco Minneman before we found out Wackerman was drumming instead) and got completely hooked when I heard The Raven and his other releases followed in short order... Just haven't gotten into PT yet (even though I've of them for years... strange).   

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #2773 on: November 23, 2013, 11:10:41 AM »
Dude, I'd say enjoy the show, but that's not really something you need to be told when it's SW.

It'll be amazing.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2774 on: November 23, 2013, 02:42:48 PM »
So tomorrow is the big day. Steven Wilson is playing here, but he is also doing a signing at the record store here during the day. While I am really excited for it, I'm also really nervous. I will probably bring my limited deluxe/collectors edition of Raven (because it's the latest one, and quite expensive), and hopefully get it signed. I'll also ask for a picture, and hopefully all of this won't be a problem.

But boy oh boy am I nervous. For some reason the worst case scenarios are spinning through my head, like intense sweating, stuttering or blacking out on normal words, shit like that. Oh well, I'm sure it will be fine.  :lol

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #2775 on: November 23, 2013, 02:53:19 PM »
I met him two years ago at a signing in New York. I had a couple of questions in mind but kind of blacked out and was only able to mumble something cheesy along the lines of "thank you for the great music" and asked for an autograph and photo. He was extremely pleasant and spent quite a bit of time answering fan's questions, taking pictures, and signing stuff (and some people had a ton of limited editions/vinyls for him!). Sometimes he comes across as a bit cold in interviews, but he was really pleasant, humble, and genuine in person.

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #2776 on: November 24, 2013, 10:53:50 AM »
I met him around eight years ago in a bar next to the venue they were playing at, he was a really nice guy. Took the time to hang out and chat for about 20-30 minutes even though he'd come in with friends after the gig, had a drink with us and was really pleasant and friendly. So cool to meet him!

John Wesley was VERY friendly.
Every story needs to have an ending, we might as well give up all this pretending and clear the air...

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2777 on: November 24, 2013, 12:24:03 PM »
I met him around eight years ago in a bar next to the venue they were playing at, he was a really nice guy. Took the time to hang out and chat for about 20-30 minutes even though he'd come in with friends after the gig, had a drink with us and was really pleasant and friendly. So cool to meet him!

Um, like borderline sexual harassment? Or just, he was a really nice guy?

Just curious   ;)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2778 on: November 24, 2013, 03:11:43 PM »
So I got to meet SW earlier during the signing. Got my limited/deluxe copy of Raven signed, and he was pretty excited since I was the only one up until that point (not sure about people behind me) who brought the "expensive" version. We did take a picture, but sadly it didn't come out very well, and he was also in a bit of a hurry since the line was pretty long, and I assume he wanted to get through the whole line, and probably had a limited time. But still, cool to see him, and got my Raven signed.

Just got home from the concert, and it was incredible. I don't know if it was better than the last time, when I saw him on the Grace-tour, but it was at least equally as fantastic. It was odd getting to hear Trains live, even though it wasn't the full song. The setlist for those who are interested was:

-Intro Video (Bass Communion Song)-
1. Trains
2. Luminol
3. Postcard
4. The Holy Drinker
5. Drive Home
6. New Song (tonight's title: The Hate Beach)
-Watchmaker Intro-
7. The Watchmaker
8. Index
9. Sectarian
10. Harmony Korine
11. Abandoner
12. Raider II (15 minute version)
13. The Raven That Refused to Sing
---Encore---
14. Remainder the Black Dog
15. Happy Returns

Hard to point out specific highlights, but there were a few. I can understand why they cut Raider II, but I also think I prefer the full version which they played the last time. The Raven That Refused to Sing was goosebumps. That song is just so powerful, emotional and beautiful, and the lyrics (and the meaning behind them), the music and the video was just such a powerful combination. Easily one of his best songs in my opinion, and mindblowingly amazing. Watchmaker was also really good, heck, the whole set was good. Only minor complaint would be not getting to hear Radioactive Toy. Just because it would be fun to hear it. I heard Remainder the Black Dog on the Grace-tour, so Radioactive Toy would have been nice. With that said, I really can't complain since it was so good.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2779 on: November 24, 2013, 03:22:15 PM »
So how was the new song, for people who have heard it? What does it sound like?
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2780 on: November 24, 2013, 03:32:22 PM »
The 15 minute new song with different titles was really cool. It had maybe 3-4 different sections, and the first part had a very electronic-influenced keyboard-sound, and reminded me a lot of songs like Sleep Together and The Incident. The middle-section was a bit more classic prog, and the guitars reminded me a lot of Signify, and the vibe the guitars have both in that song, but also the whole album. The last section or so of the song was pretty heavy, everything sort of reaching a climax. All in all I really liked it. It had all those elements that are familiar in many songs on Grace and Raven, but also didn't sound like a rehash of the same ideas.

As for Happy Returns, that song was similar to Deform to Form a Star and Trains. Acoustic-guitar, piano, SW doing his trademark singing harmonies, and a pretty catchy and melodic song. 5-6 minutes or so, also pretty nice.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2781 on: November 24, 2013, 10:44:05 PM »
Wow, he is playing Abandoner now?  Sweet!!

I still wish he'd play Salvaging live. 

Offline Rob801

« Reply #2782 on: November 24, 2013, 10:49:51 PM »
It was also an unbelievable show saturday night as well!

Here's the set list:

Trains
Luminol
Postcard
The Holy Drinker
Drive Home
Untitled New Song
(this time introduced as Regret Nr. 5)
The Watchmaker Video
The Watchmaker
Index
Sectarian
Harmony Korine
Raider II  (15 min)
The Raven That Refused to Sing
Encore:
Happy Returns
(New Song)
Radioactive Toy

Again just a fantastic experience!

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2783 on: November 25, 2013, 03:47:31 AM »
Wow, he is playing Abandoner now?  Sweet!!

I still wish he'd play Salvaging live.

I hope he brings out Salvaging as well, that song is killer.

Offline Rob801

« Reply #2784 on: November 25, 2013, 08:21:48 AM »
When he built up to Drive Home (I think that was it anyway) he told how he wasn't really a musician like the other members of his band and how he had to use kind of a story to get his ideas across...

So anyway, he ended up telling a story (little by little with guitar examples from Guthrie along the way) of the lonely Swede lost in the forest being chased by a troll....

So I was wondering if it was the lonely Dane he talked about at the show in Sweden (or something completely different)... Maybe he felt kind of bad and that's why you guys got Abandoner (doesn't look like anything was substituted from Friday night, just an extra song and different encore... You lucky bastards  ;D)

I was also pleasantly surprised to see that the show wasn't exactly the same as earlier legs of the tour and I really liked the opening video sequence and the way he opened the show not to mention the surround (or quad or whatever it was) sound.... And the list goes on.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #2785 on: November 25, 2013, 08:38:33 AM »
SW on the Raven tour was easily one of my favorite concert experiences ever. Guthrie Govan improvising a different solo to Drive Home and almost improving on the gorgeous original solo was just too good to be true. People were screaming out of disbelief when that happened.

WAY better than when I saw him on the Grace for Drowning tour, which was amazing still. The man just keeps delivering and destroying any expectations you might have. His creative genius seems to know no boundaries.  :metal
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2786 on: November 25, 2013, 08:47:07 AM »
When he built up to Drive Home (I think that was it anyway) he told how he wasn't really a musician like the other members of his band and how he had to use kind of a story to get his ideas across...

So anyway, he ended up telling a story (little by little with guitar examples from Guthrie along the way) of the lonely Swede lost in the forest being chased by a troll....

So I was wondering if it was the lonely Dane he talked about at the show in Sweden (or something completely different)... Maybe he felt kind of bad and that's why you guys got Abandoner (doesn't look like anything was substituted from Friday night, just an extra song and different encore... You lucky bastards  ;D)

I was also pleasantly surprised to see that the show wasn't exactly the same as earlier legs of the tour and I really liked the opening video sequence and the way he opened the show not to mention the surround (or quad or whatever it was) sound.... And the list goes on.

He called it the lonely Swede here in Sweden too.   :D

Offline Rob801

« Reply #2787 on: November 25, 2013, 11:08:38 AM »
I guess that would be our fault... He started that whole part by asking the audience who the Danes biggest rivals were and there was a resounding "The Swedes" from the audience and then he took it from there... I'm not a Dane (although after 17 years I'm mostly integrated) so please don't hold it against me ;).

One of the musical highlights for me (again one of many) was the "shaker/bass/flute" section of Holy Drinker (from 5:11 on the album... I love that section with Beggs on the shaker/tambourine and Wilson on the bass...

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #2788 on: November 26, 2013, 07:31:31 AM »

Just curious   ;)

Lol he was just drunk and really huggy, slightly wet cheek kisses when we left, my boyfriend at the time and I were like um... he was lovely though! Nothing inappropriate.

The new song was called 'Soundtrack to Decline' at the gig I attended, I thought it was incredible, and not in a fangirl omg I love Wilson kinda way. It normally takes me a while to get into new songs, I remember hearing Anaesthetize for the first time live before it was released and being underwhelmed. But this song, yeah, it was beautiful. It was almost like a mellow mix between Massive Attack and chilled drum and bass for a while, with gorgeous vocals and some kick ass riffs from about halfway through until the end, it's difficult to recall all of it now, but it was very atmospheric, and emotive. A friend who saw it at a different gig said he agreed with Wilson that the song might sound as though it dragged a bit but I honestly enjoyed every second and could have listened to it for hours, even if it was more of the same!

Seriously excited to hear it on the album whenever it comes out... it was just beautiful. Totally cannot wait.

I wished Govan hadn't have improvised quite as much with the Drive Home solo though, the album version is one of the greatest solos I've ever heard but live it was altered to such an extent that a lot of the details and frills and stuff I love were either changed or omitted. I know some people prefer bands to mix it up a bit live, though, I often do but on this occasion I think I would have liked it a little more like the CD.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2789 on: November 26, 2013, 08:12:48 AM »
I guess I was lucky I experienced TRTRTS in reverse. I wasn't even aware he had a new album when I went to the concert. So, I was blown away by the live version of it (including Guthrie's improvisations), but I didn't know the "proper version", so I didn't mind.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2790 on: November 26, 2013, 08:35:25 AM »
It's hard for me to get blown away by stuff I haven't heard before, in a live setting. Like I said, I did like the two new songs he played, but I really need to get familiar with the stuff before I can fully enjoy it. If I hadn't heard Raven and went to this show, I would probably stand around a lot of the time just being unable to take anything in. For me at least, being familiar with the material beforehand is really important.

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #2791 on: November 26, 2013, 08:51:59 AM »
Agreed, if I'm going to a concert where I'm unfamiliar with the artist I usually make sure I've listened to all the songs they're going to play.
"We can walk our road together, if our goals are all the same
We can run alone and free, if we pursue a different aim"

Offline Fisi

« Reply #2792 on: November 26, 2013, 10:31:50 AM »
Waiting... In the front row. :metal

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2793 on: November 26, 2013, 11:25:49 AM »

Just curious   ;)
It was almost like a mellow mix between Massive Attack and chilled drum and bass for a while.

I am so excited to hear this now!

I wished Govan hadn't have improvised quite as much with the Drive Home solo though, the album version is one of the greatest solos I've ever heard but live it was altered to such an extent that a lot of the details and frills and stuff I love were either changed or omitted. I know some people prefer bands to mix it up a bit live, though, I often do but on this occasion I think I would have liked it a little more like the CD.

When I saw SW Guthrie did a solo that was fairly similar to what he did on the album. It's the way Guthrie is, he improvs whenever he can.

Offline Fisi

« Reply #2794 on: November 29, 2013, 09:07:38 AM »
Waiting... In the front row. :metal
And oh my God how awesome it was! The intro video was really cool and weird in a good way and built the tension until Steven finally walked on stage and performed the acoustic version of Trains. It actually worked very well as an opening song and didn't feel out of place at all. When the whole band arrived on stage and started Luminol, it was just pure perfection that lasted until the last note of the show.

The new songs were really cool, especially the long untitled one. It had an interesting mixture of atmosphere and heaviness and overall I thought it was quite different to the Raven stuff. Happy Returns was a great ballad, not much to say about it after only one listen. Based on these two songs it's pretty justified to have really high expectations for the upcoming album.  :tup

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2795 on: November 29, 2013, 10:47:06 AM »
He is playing an acoustic version of Trains? I thought it was just the regular live version of the song.

Offline Fisi

« Reply #2796 on: November 29, 2013, 11:01:18 AM »
Yeah, it's only Steven with his voice and an acoustic guitar.  :)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2797 on: November 29, 2013, 11:28:34 AM »
It's hard for me to get blown away by stuff I haven't heard before, in a live setting. Like I said, I did like the two new songs he played, but I really need to get familiar with the stuff before I can fully enjoy it. If I hadn't heard Raven and went to this show, I would probably stand around a lot of the time just being unable to take anything in. For me at least, being familiar with the material beforehand is really important.

It all depends on the band and the music. If I had never heard DT before and saw them live, it would be too much to take in. But, SW's don't lose sight of the song; there's an awesome  instrumental section, but it's perfectly embedded in the song.
Spock's Beard is another band who I had never heard of before seeing them live, and my jaw dropped to the floor when seeing them.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #2798 on: November 29, 2013, 11:41:02 AM »
Yeah, it's only Steven with his voice and an acoustic guitar.  :)

And a video of Hertford.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2799 on: December 16, 2013, 11:26:02 PM »
Deform to Form A Star <3