Author Topic: What Shows are you currently watching?  (Read 222718 times)

Offline MirrorMask

Re: What Shows are you currently watching?
« Reply #3115 on: September 12, 2023, 01:17:33 AM »
Started with the third and final season of The Leftovers, I'm two episodes in.

Season 2 was fantastic. Let's see how season 3 holds up!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3116 on: September 12, 2023, 07:08:57 AM »
Just started to watch, "A Discovery of Witches" on MAX. 2 episodes in.  It's very well acted and written.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3117 on: September 12, 2023, 09:16:52 AM »
Started with the third and final season of The Leftovers, I'm two episodes in.

Season 2 was fantastic. Let's see how season 3 holds up!

Oh….it holds up. Fantastic series from start to finish.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3118 on: September 21, 2023, 02:32:26 AM »
Indeed it was, I finished it!

Wow. Amazing piece of art. I must confess I didn't enjoy the first couple of episodes - "it's the final season, why weird and unconsequential stuff keeps happening? wrap up the story, come on". That was my line of thinking. But eventually the season came together and just like with season 2 I got used to each episode focusing on one of the major characters.

The ending was beautiful. The off-screen explanation of what happened was done masterfully, not every writer would be able to resolve the entire mysterious premise of a series with just dialogue, but here it just worked.

Season 1 was good, season 2 was amazing, season 3 was amazing. Brilliant series, better to have it this short than stretch it out over more seasons and make it boring. I almost applauded when the screen went black after the final scene, an honor I reserved only for Breaking Bad  :hefdaddy
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3119 on: September 21, 2023, 09:05:40 AM »
Indeed it was, I finished it!

Wow. Amazing piece of art. I must confess I didn't enjoy the first couple of episodes - "it's the final season, why weird and unconsequential stuff keeps happening? wrap up the story, come on". That was my line of thinking. But eventually the season came together and just like with season 2 I got used to each episode focusing on one of the major characters.

The ending was beautiful. The off-screen explanation of what happened was done masterfully, not every writer would be able to resolve the entire mysterious premise of a series with just dialogue, but here it just worked.

Season 1 was good, season 2 was amazing, season 3 was amazing. Brilliant series, better to have it this short than stretch it out over more seasons and make it boring. I almost applauded when the screen went black after the final scene, an honor I reserved only for Breaking Bad  :hefdaddy

Yeah....it joins a small group of shows that actually had a really good, fitting ending. For me those shows would be: Mr. Robot, Battlestar Gallactica, 12 Monkeys, Continuum, The Expanse, Breaking Bad AND Better Call Saul.....all of which the endings didn't leave you with a bad taste in your mouth. They were all handled well.

And, I'll go controversial here and say the ending of Soprano's was perfect and fitting as well.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3120 on: September 21, 2023, 09:08:07 AM »
For the record I LOVED the Soprano's ending.  I thought it was (and is) top three of all time (and that has nothing to do with the song, though I think it was a fitting and appropriate song to play). 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3121 on: September 21, 2023, 09:22:39 AM »
Agreed with Sopranos.  Haters can suck it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3122 on: September 21, 2023, 09:43:09 AM »
I was not a fan of the Sopranos ending, but it wasn't the worst.  People keep telling me that they die at the end, but I never really got that impression. I always just felt like "the Sopranos life as we know it, continues on" and with that I can accept and find closure in it.  In the moment of watching that live, I was livid though  :lol

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3123 on: September 21, 2023, 09:45:16 AM »
I'll admit I didn't watch the Soprano's until years after it had aired.....I'm talking like I think it was 2 or 3 years ago so I 'knew' about the controversial ending. BUT....that being said.....when it happened I thought it was perfect. AND it had been set up from when Tony and Bobby were fishing and Bobby talks about what the experience of dying is like, and says to Tony “At the end, you probably don’t hear anything, everything just goes black."

I guess I don't know what folks were expecting. Tony getting 'whacked' was pretty much the only ending that show could have had? There's no happily ever after going on there.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3124 on: September 21, 2023, 09:46:08 AM »
I was not a fan of the Sopranos ending, but it wasn't the worst.  People keep telling me that they die at the end, but I never really got that impression. I always just felt like "the Sopranos life as we know it, continues on" and with that I can accept and find closure in it.  In the moment of watching that live, I was livid though  :lol

I'm pretty sure everyone involved in the show has admitted and said that Tony was killed in that moment.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3125 on: September 21, 2023, 09:56:32 AM »

I'm pretty sure everyone involved in the show has admitted and said that Tony was killed in that moment.

Yeah I understand that, but not showing it, to me, leaves it open to interpretation.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3126 on: September 21, 2023, 09:58:35 AM »

Yeah I understand that, but not showing it, to me, leaves it open to interpretation.

Yeah....I guess you can decide on your own if Tony's brains splattered on Carmela or AJ....or did they both get big chunks all over them   :lol ;)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3127 on: September 21, 2023, 09:58:52 AM »

HAHA (at the livid part). 

I don't know if they die or not, but I think you're right, Marc.  I think the point was... they lived an existence that was moment to moment. Their life wasn't the American dream in the sense that most of us know it - get a job, get benefits, get a retirement - it was something more transient.  Cash business, only as good as the last transaction.   I think that entire scene was a metaphor for their life, and whether they lived or died - well we ALL die at some point - it wasn't about the outcome it was about what they did to get there.   Whether it was that diner or the next diner or the hardware store or the Bada Bing, the next person through the door could be a friend, a foe, or a neutral party.  We were made to feel both the stress of that uncertainly (I'm pretty sure none of us have to worry about the next person through the door being strapped and looking for us) and the blank unknowing that we all have for our final outcomes (more or less).

I thought it was a brilliant take on life, as opposed to many finales that feel this need to wrap everything up in a nice neat bow. 

Online TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #3128 on: September 21, 2023, 12:25:00 PM »
i've never seen the sopranos. would y'all recommend it is i enjoyed the wire, x files, twin peaks, and twin peaks: the return?
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Your sloth is in another castle
« Reply #3129 on: September 21, 2023, 12:41:51 PM »
Joe Pera Talks With You

Just a good, wholesome show.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3130 on: September 21, 2023, 12:45:10 PM »
i've never seen the sopranos. would y'all recommend it is i enjoyed the wire, x files, twin peaks, and twin peaks: the return?

I haven't watched those shows to compare, but I would 100% recommend the sopranos.  My gf and I did a watch through a few months ago.  She had never seen it and I hadn't watched since it aired.  It was an incredible experience to watch it again, we both loved it so much.  Soo good.  One of the best TV shows I've watched.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3131 on: September 21, 2023, 01:06:13 PM »

I haven't watched those shows to compare, but I would 100% recommend the sopranos.  My gf and I did a watch through a few months ago.  She had never seen it and I hadn't watched since it aired.  It was an incredible experience to watch it again, we both loved it so much.  Soo good.  One of the best TV shows I've watched.

Yeah....Marc is correct. It lives up to the lore and hype.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3132 on: September 21, 2023, 01:24:17 PM »

It's arguably my favorite show of all time.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3133 on: September 21, 2023, 01:33:57 PM »
Watch it with all speed.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

« Reply #3134 on: September 21, 2023, 02:00:20 PM »
Watch it with all speed.

i'll add it to my list. the length of it has kept me away previously

also i have played sopranos pinball (the stern machine from like 2005 or something) a lot and it rules. that is all
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3135 on: September 21, 2023, 03:09:56 PM »

My favorite show, Six Feet Under.

« Reply #3136 on: September 21, 2023, 03:21:12 PM »

that show has my favorite finale ever. it's the finale which i judge all other finales lol
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3137 on: September 21, 2023, 03:24:12 PM »

that show has my favorite finale ever. it's the finale which i judge all other finales lol

100% with you! The Finale was epic! Spolier: there's no way they could have had another season after it!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3138 on: September 22, 2023, 02:23:11 AM »
I like how mentioning the ending of The Leftovers sparked a 40 replies discussion about The Sopranos  ;D

(One day I'll eventually come around to watch it btw)

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #3139 on: September 22, 2023, 06:30:38 AM »
I don't think I can be biased about the Sopranos ending, but I did love it. It did make for a lot of pissed off people at the time though, and a crazy summer working at Holsten's. We had probably 20 people at our house to watch the finale, split between two different rooms and TVs, and everyone's phone started ringing at the end asking if our cable had just gone out too :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3140 on: September 22, 2023, 08:18:03 AM »
I don't think I can be biased about the Sopranos ending
You sure about that?

Also, the Six Feet Under is for sure the greatest series finale episode of all time.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #3141 on: September 22, 2023, 08:19:59 AM »
I don't think I can be biased about the Sopranos ending
You sure about that?

:facepalm: unbiased would be the word I was reaching for :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3142 on: September 22, 2023, 08:23:12 AM »
Well, I guess you can clear it up then, was there a big clean up of blood and guts?  :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3143 on: September 22, 2023, 08:33:14 AM »
Well, I guess you can clear it up then, was there a big clean up of blood and guts?  :lol
:lol

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #3144 on: September 22, 2023, 12:18:25 PM »
:lol not quite, but I did hear more than a few people who were in that summer say that they heard David Chase had originally filmed Tony getting shot in the head but that it got cut because the owners of Holsten's didn't want that kind of violence associated with their family friendly establishment. Which it's just mind-numbingly dumb to think that my dad could have dictated how David Chase ended his show, but I think that was mostly people just not wanting to accept that that was how Chase *chose* to end it.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3145 on: September 22, 2023, 12:21:28 PM »
:lol not quite, but I did hear more than a few people who were in that summer say that they heard David Chase had originally filmed Tony getting shot in the head but that it got cut because the owners of Holsten's didn't want that kind of violence associated with their family friendly establishment. Which it's just mind-numbingly dumb to think that my dad could have dictated how David Chase ended his show, but I think that was mostly people just not wanting to accept that that was how Chase *chose* to end it.

:lol thats actually awesome

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3146 on: September 22, 2023, 03:33:24 PM »

:lol thats actually awesome

That is; that's one of the coolest things I've heard recently, even if it isn't accurate (if that makes sense).

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3147 on: September 22, 2023, 04:31:48 PM »
Just watched the first episode of The Continental (set in the John Wick universe).  To be honest a little underwhelmed by it, actually found it somewhat boring - but it's only 3 episodes and it did end on a point where I expect it to take off now.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3148 on: September 22, 2023, 05:33:35 PM »
Just watched the first episode of The Continental (set in the John Wick universe).  To be honest a little underwhelmed by it, actually found it somewhat boring - but it's only 3 episodes and it did end on a point where I expect it to take off now.

Totally forgot about this one. Will probably Lu just let the three come out and binge it all at once.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #3149 on: September 23, 2023, 06:08:00 PM »
Band of Brothers.  I've never seen this, despite it coming out in the late 90's/early 2000's.  Only two episodes in and it's amazing.