Author Topic: What Shows are you currently watching?  (Read 222730 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: What Shows are you currently watching?
« Reply #2975 on: July 31, 2023, 07:48:02 AM »
So I finished Manifest.   Really good, and they wrapped it up nicely, but I'm sort of of two minds on that show. 

SPOILER ALERT! SPOILER ALERT!

First, I hate Josh Dallas/Ben Stone.   Man is he annoying.  He touches EVERYBODY.   Every hug is a manly hug to the death.  Every greet is a manly hand on the shoulder.   Every time he touches his kids it's both hands on the head...

I'm not the hugest fan of Michaela; Jared is a saint among men; he should've been piloting the plane at the end!!! (Though, in my view, he ended up in the right place with Drea).  I'm not the biggest fan of Zeke; he seems wishy-washy.    Love the kids, love Saanvi, like Vance.

I think the writing is such that it's open enough to draw some of your own conclusions, but in this age of divisiveness and acrimony, it's sort of simultaneously heavy-handed and ironic that the message is selfishness (looking at you beeeyonaires!) and ultimately forgiveness (ironic, because there is almost ZERO forgiveness in our society these days).  The comparison between Angelina as self-professed Archangel (Trump!) and Ben/Michaela as reluctant "Co-captains" (Biden!) was about as subtle as a kick in the satchel.

All in all, I'm glad I watched it.   Might go on to Lost now, not sure.   

Offline Glasser

« Reply #2976 on: July 31, 2023, 03:35:18 PM »
So I finished Manifest.   Really good, and they wrapped it up nicely, but I'm sort of of two minds on that show. 

SPOILER ALERT! SPOILER ALERT!

First, I hate Josh Dallas/Ben Stone.   Man is he annoying.  He touches EVERYBODY.   Every hug is a manly hug to the death.  Every greet is a manly hand on the shoulder.   Every time he touches his kids it's both hands on the head...

I'm not the hugest fan of Michaela; Jared is a saint among men; he should've been piloting the plane at the end!!! (Though, in my view, he ended up in the right place with Drea).  I'm not the biggest fan of Zeke; he seems wishy-washy.    Love the kids, love Saanvi, like Vance.

I think the writing is such that it's open enough to draw some of your own conclusions, but in this age of divisiveness and acrimony, it's sort of simultaneously heavy-handed and ironic that the message is selfishness (looking at you beeeyonaires!) and ultimately forgiveness (ironic, because there is almost ZERO forgiveness in our society these days).  The comparison between Angelina as self-professed Archangel (Trump!) and Ben/Michaela as reluctant "Co-captains" (Biden!) was about as subtle as a kick in the satchel.

All in all, I'm glad I watched it.   Might go on to Lost now, not sure.

Great show! But damn, I thought I was the only one who felt that way about Ben Stone... Very Annoying and over dramatic.  :lol
« Last Edit: July 31, 2023, 10:36:31 PM by Glasser »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2977 on: July 31, 2023, 05:27:59 PM »
Finished the new season of the Witcher, all caught up to the latest in Foundation, almost done with Severence, and going to watch the season finale of Righteous Gemstones shortly.  Also finished season 1 of Rock of Love.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2978 on: August 01, 2023, 09:36:51 AM »
Finished the new season of the Witcher, all caught up to the latest in Foundation, almost done with Severence, and going to watch the season finale of Righteous Gemstones shortly.  Also finished season 1 of Rock of Love.

As usual, The Righteous Gemstones' latest season ended phenomenally. That show is, without question, one of the best shows currently on TV.   

Rock of Love... man, that's a throw back. My best buddy and I shamelessly watched every one of those shows when we were in college. Rock of Love, Charmed School, Flavor of Love, I Love New York, Megan Wants a Millionaire, Daisy of Love, For the Love of Ray Jay, etc... We watched every one  :lol 

How are you liking Severance?

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2979 on: August 01, 2023, 09:39:01 AM »
As usual, The Righteous Gemstones' latest season ended phenomenally. That show is, without question, one of the best shows currently on TV.   

It was once again pretty hilarious. I'm wondering with the way they ended it if the series is done as well? Seemed like they buttoned it up pretty good but the thing about that show is they could easily create a storyline for another season.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2980 on: August 01, 2023, 09:45:34 AM »

It was once again pretty hilarious. I'm wondering with the way they ended it if the series is done as well? Seemed like they buttoned it up pretty good but the thing about that show is they could easily create a storyline for another season.

Season 4 was announced last week, so they have at least one more in them. I agree though, that episode would have made a fine series finale.   

What are we going into season 4 with? Seasons 1 and 2 had minor cliff hangers in the story (building Zion's Landing for example). What was left unresolved in this most recent season? I can't really think of anything besides Gideon maybe getting more involved. Are there any lose ends? I suppose the militia could come back wanting revenge on Peter Montgomery for calling the fuzz on them, but that's all I can think of at the moment.   

Eli seems to be in good health. The kids are all getting along and their relationships seem to be stronger than ever. The church and resort don't seem to be under any kind of threat. Bible Bonkers has probably hit a dead end.  What's left?   

I have full confidence that the fourth season will be every bit as good as the first three, but it just seems a bit odd that there's no nugget for potential storylines going forward. I wonder if season three was written to be a good wrap up in the off chance it didn't get renewed.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2981 on: August 01, 2023, 10:19:08 AM »
My gf turned to me and said the exact thing last night after we finished the season, "that could have been a perfect ending to the show"

My guess is maybe the next season is something similar to the final season of Eastbound & Down where it's a bit in the future and more of like an "encore" for the show.  Also, yeah that was a good season.  It started a bit slow, but built up and ended strongly.

As for Severence, we are both enjoying it.  I got my gf to watch it again and I think the show's story has just progressed enough that it's not as boring and "quiet" as that first episode was.  My concern though is that there is so much mystery to what's going on that how will they tie all the pieces together to make sense?  Should finish the season soon.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2982 on: August 01, 2023, 11:19:42 AM »

Season 4 was announced last week, so they have at least one more in them. I agree though, that episode would have made a fine series finale.   

What are we going into season 4 with? Seasons 1 and 2 had minor cliff hangers in the story (building Zion's Landing for example). What was left unresolved in this most recent season? I can't really think of anything besides Gideon maybe getting more involved. Are there any lose ends? I suppose the militia could come back wanting revenge on Peter Montgomery for calling the fuzz on them, but that's all I can think of at the moment.   

Eli seems to be in good health. The kids are all getting along and their relationships seem to be stronger than ever. The church and resort don't seem to be under any kind of threat. Bible Bonkers has probably hit a dead end.  What's left?   

I have full confidence that the fourth season will be every bit as good as the first three, but it just seems a bit odd that there's no nugget for potential storylines going forward. I wonder if season three was written to be a good wrap up in the off chance it didn't get renewed.

There really isn't anything left unanswered. I 'guess'  you could do the militia out for revenge but that's even a stretch because the main draw to that storyline was it was ran by their Uncle. Maybe an openly gay relationship between Kelvin and Keefe could be a storyline but that wouldn't sustain a full season.

I would suspect you're on to something with that season being written as somewhat of a final season were it not to have been picked up again. But, with how that show is....they really could just come up with anything and make it work.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2983 on: August 01, 2023, 01:16:08 PM »
Just started the final season of Jack Ryan on Prime.  Currently on episode 3.

Gary, I know you didn't care for it, but for me, this is so far easily the best season.  THIS is the Jack Ryan from the novels.  The first 3 seasons of this show were the aberration.  Ryan was never an action star, never a Jason Bourne, that the first 3 seasons wanted him to be.  This is the stuff, more cerebral.

It could all go to hell from here, of course, but so far I love it.

Also started Quarterback on Netflix.  I don't get the Mahomes hate.  He didn't get any more coverage in the first episode than the other two QBs did, neither of whom could carry his jock strap.  He's the best in the league at the moment, and it's not close.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2984 on: August 01, 2023, 04:49:57 PM »
Oh man…..I thought the first three seasons were pretty good. My problem with this last season is it’s SO predictable. Very rudimentary story. I was really bored with it which sucks because I liked all the characters that series developed. Again….my issue was the paint by numbers story.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2985 on: August 02, 2023, 08:39:53 AM »
Just started the final season of Jack Ryan on Prime.  Currently on episode 3.

Gary, I know you didn't care for it, but for me, this is so far easily the best season.  THIS is the Jack Ryan from the novels.  The first 3 seasons of this show were the aberration.  Ryan was never an action star, never a Jason Bourne, that the first 3 seasons wanted him to be.  This is the stuff, more cerebral.

It could all go to hell from here, of course, but so far I love it.

Also started Quarterback on Netflix.  I don't get the Mahomes hate.  He didn't get any more coverage in the first episode than the other two QBs did, neither of whom could carry his jock strap.  He's the best in the league at the moment, and it's not close.

First, there's no hate of Mahomes. There's no hate at all, really, just a sort of bewilderment of those fellating him so profusely.  And second, it IS close, but that's another discussion (Jalen Hurts, Lamar Jackson if he's not pouting, Josh Allen).  Third, isn't the show about the life of a "quarterback"?  There's 31 other QBs (and the backups on all 32 teams) that haven't been enshrined in the Universe Hall Of Fame that arguably are more interesting to watch as they navigate the trials and tribulations of being mere mortals while having to play against a God on Wheels.   ;)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2986 on: August 02, 2023, 08:55:33 AM »
Wow, what an ending to Severence. I guess it'll be awhile before we find out more about that show and how it left us on such a huge cliff hanger

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2987 on: August 02, 2023, 09:09:21 AM »
Wow, what an ending to Severence. I guess it'll be awhile before we find out more about that show and how it left us on such a huge cliff hanger

:tup 

I've read that this show is getting hit particular hard by the current strike. It might be a while :/

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2988 on: August 02, 2023, 09:13:36 AM »

:tup 

I've read that this show is getting hit particular hard by the current strike. It might be a while :/

Not only that....but there is/was a pretty big behind the scenes issue going on:

"co-showrunners Dan Erickson and Mark Friedman had a falling out during season 1 and Friedman had to be convinced to return to season 2 by executive producer Ben Stiller. As their conflict continues, there have also been issues getting scripts together and keeping them on budget, so Apple has reportedly brought on House of Cards creator Beau Willimon to help smooth things over for this season and any potential additional ones."

All that happened then the writers strike so....I'm guessing we don't see S2 until 2025.

Online faizoff

« Reply #2989 on: August 02, 2023, 10:09:23 AM »
Yeah I read about the infighting regarding the direction they want to go for season 2. Hopefully they come out with a solid plan after all is said and done.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2990 on: August 02, 2023, 11:05:48 AM »
Damn, almost makes me think the season 2 may never happen.

My gf told me that the Witcher Season 4 may not happen at all now due to the actor change and now the strike.  Basically just too much negativity and no ability to move forward, might as well just drop it.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2991 on: August 02, 2023, 11:34:09 AM »
Damn, almost makes me think the season 2 may never happen.

My gf told me that the Witcher Season 4 may not happen at all now due to the actor change and now the strike.  Basically just too much negativity and no ability to move forward, might as well just drop it.

Wouldn't surprise me if both of these never get new episodes ... which is a damn shame for both.  Up to the final 2 episodes, Witcher was very good (S1 and most of S2 being great).
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2992 on: August 03, 2023, 11:35:14 PM »
Never heard of the old British TV show UFO from 1970.

But someone mentioned it on Facebook, and searched on a whim, and found it free on Amazon.  It’s like Space: 1999 meets The Prisoner. I’m kinda digging it.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Glasser

« Reply #2993 on: August 03, 2023, 11:59:04 PM »
Finally getting around to Cobra Kai, season 5.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #2994 on: August 05, 2023, 01:44:43 PM »
My wife and I semi-binged on Silo and finished it yesterday. That was a pretty fantastic first season!

Lots of questions, though  :)

Offline nick_z

« Reply #2995 on: August 06, 2023, 06:22:37 PM »
Finally started watching The Bear, Season 1...very promising so far...

Offline The Realm

« Reply #2996 on: August 06, 2023, 07:12:40 PM »
The Bear is awesome. Highly recommended. A rollercoaster of emotions and just fantastic characters. I really love the way it is made, it doesn't dump information on the viewer and you need to piece together who everyone is and their relationships and backgrounds from their interactions. A brilliant show and season 2 is amazing.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2997 on: August 07, 2023, 08:36:59 AM »
The Bear is awesome. Highly recommended. A rollercoaster of emotions and just fantastic characters. I really love the way it is made, it doesn't dump information on the viewer and you need to piece together who everyone is and their relationships and backgrounds from their interactions. A brilliant show and season 2 is amazing.

S1 is great.  Episode 7 of S1 was just fucking dynamite.

S2 says "hold my beer". I'm already antsy for S3.  Also (spoiler-y) ... will he be able to (or want to) rectify things with Claire?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #2998 on: August 07, 2023, 09:01:12 AM »
Aside from the hourlong backstory episode I though season 2 of the Bear wasn't as anywhere near as strong as the first season, it seemed to be forcing the comedy a lot more.  Still enjoyable though.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2999 on: August 07, 2023, 09:08:52 AM »
The new season of Big Brother started last week so we will be watching that for the next few months.  Cast this year seems kind of tame, hoping that's not the case once the show gets rolling.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3000 on: August 07, 2023, 09:09:56 AM »
We got through the first season of Ted Lasso last night.   

I knew absolutely nothing about that show going in. I'm liking it a lot.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #3001 on: August 07, 2023, 09:28:08 AM »
The Mrs. and I started Peaky Blinders this weekend. Three episodes in. Great stuff.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3002 on: August 07, 2023, 09:44:42 AM »
The Mrs. and I started Peaky Blinders this weekend. Three episodes in. Great stuff.

Great series!

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #3003 on: August 07, 2023, 11:41:57 AM »
Love Peaky Blinders! Been getting the itch to re-watch it since I saw Oppenheimer.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3004 on: August 07, 2023, 01:01:28 PM »
1 episode left of Cobra Kai Season 5 for tonight.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3005 on: August 07, 2023, 02:05:17 PM »
Finished up Jack Ryan.  I hear they are going to do a show based on Domingo Chavez next.  Could be good.

Currently watching Quarterback on Netflix.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #3006 on: August 07, 2023, 05:27:34 PM »

S1 is great.  Episode 7 of S1 was just fucking dynamite.

S2 says "hold my beer". I'm already antsy for S3.  Also (spoiler-y) ... will he be able to (or want to) rectify things with Claire?

I think Carmy will want to but perhaps not know any way to go about making things right with her.  SHE will be the reason it won't ultimately work out
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3007 on: August 08, 2023, 02:17:46 AM »
Started season 2 of The Great. A somehow revisited version of the story of Catherine the Great of Russia, essentially a drama but with a lot of (dark) humour and modern language thrown in. Season 1 was surprisingly good, season 2 looked to have started the same way.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3008 on: August 08, 2023, 05:49:36 AM »
Started season 2 of The Great. A somehow revisited version of the story of Catherine the Great of Russia, essentially a drama but with a lot of (dark) humour and modern language thrown in. Season 1 was surprisingly good, season 2 looked to have started the same way.

This was surprisingly excellent. I loved it.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #3009 on: August 08, 2023, 08:19:08 AM »
Season 4 of The Sinner.  I thought the third season sucked and never watched season 4 when it aired.  It's been in my Netflix list for a while and decided to give it a try.  So far, so good, but Bill Pullman is getting so old!