Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 916215 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
I haven't heard any but #1, but if Hardwired was the best of the bunch, it must have been a really weak year. :P
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
If this were the 80s that Metallica thing would be better  :biggrin:

Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
The Metallica might be the weakest of the bunch.
(not totally serious)

« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 12:37:07 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Everyone is now realizing what era of metal rules!!!

Offline Lowdz

The Metallica might be the weakest of the bunch.
(not totally serious)

The Testament would be great with john Bush singing on it

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
The Testament would be great with john Bush singing on it

No argument here!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
The weather report would be great with John Bush singing on it

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Cloudy with a chance of rrrrrrrrraaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnn! :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Of course Metallica were going to be number one.

I'm surprised the Testament and Metal Church are so high.  Saying that, both were pretty good.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
From what I have seen around the traps the Metallica is getting ratings mostly in the 6.5-8 range which I would think is fair (upper end for me).  And yeah - I would rate most of those top ranked albums as good or better than the Metallica.

It's great that these guys are all still going and it's a sign of the endurance and loyalty of fans in this genre.   
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm still really impressed with Hardwired.

It's great that these guys are all still going and it's a sign of the endurance and loyalty of fans in this genre.   

Yep.  Shows the amazing longevity of the style of music we all enjoy, fucking tr00!!!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
So, don't ask me why, but I decided to give Metal Health and Conditional Critical a spin tonight. I actually think Metal Health is excellent.

But what a pant load of crap Condition Critical is. Metal Health just seems to have a certain soul about it, whereas Condition Critical is as cold as you can get. Music wise, there are a couple bright spots. Scream And Shout and Bad Boy rock, but the lyrics absolutely blow. But it is a really weak album, and it feels like it's a parody of that era's heavy metal.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I can't remember much about Condition Critical but I think the consensus is that they were so over the moon about the success of Metal Health that they tried to rush out Metal Health Pt II with fairly predictable results.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Yeah, the first track, Sign Of the Times, is a direct rip on Metal Health (the song). And covering another Slade song was just dumb. And I like Slade.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Quiet Riot were another 80's band I never bothered to check out.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I think Metal Health is a very good album, Don't Wanna Let You Go and Loves a Bitch are the standouts for me.

I actually never bothered with CC, just never heard many good things about it.

I remember watching VH1'S Behind the Music on Quiet Riot and it was very interesting.  Kevin just seemed to rub everyone and anyone the wrong way and they were the cause of their own downfall.  The fall was very fast and steep for Quiet Riot.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
Quiet Riot has an interesting story, but the band itself has never been my thing.

On a completely different note, but staying within the classic hard rock and metal vein, did you guys see this book being released:

https://www.amazon.com/LAmour-Capital-Brooklyn-Alex-Kayne/dp/194020769X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1483542424&sr=1-1&keywords=l%27amour+rock+capital+of+brooklyn

Apparently Santa has it on pre-order for me, and it was supposed to be released already, but it isn't ready yet. But it looks pretty sweet for those of you familiar or unfamiliar with the famed Brooklyn rock club. Should be some good stuff in there from Twisted Sister, Queensryche, White Lion, and other bands that were able to cut their teeth there and build a rabid NYC following.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Lowdz

I never bothered with them at the time but Metal Health is ok. Not great, but ok. Never bothered with anything else.

I love Slade too.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I heard of Slade via Quiet Riot  ;D

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

I heard of Slade via Quiet Riot  ;D

Lots of hits in the uk. And a big influence on KISS.
One of the worst images in rock though  :biggrin:

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
there's a name that's a blast from the past - Joey Tafolla.................has joined Leatherwolf.   Hopefully they get a new album done with this lineup.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
His Out of the Sun album is very good.

I know Leatherwolf has released newer material in the last few years, but I haven't heard anything. Street Lethal is one of my favorites; Brent, what do you rate that one?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

I know Leatherwolf has released newer material in the last few years, but I haven't heard anything. Street Lethal is one of my favorites; Brent, what do you rate that one?

I had to go back and check my spreadsheet as it's been a while - I have it at 85% which seems about right.  A very solid album with a couple of genuine anthems of the time like Thunder.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Solid score. I meant to say Street Ready, but I figured you knew what I meant.

Offline Lowdz

I had to go back and check my spreadsheet as it's been a while - I have it at 85% which seems about right.  A very solid album with a couple of genuine anthems of the time like Thunder.

I'd agree with that.
Out of the Sun was very good but not a patch on TMac, Vinnie Moore etc. His albums after OOTS weren't up tp much.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I have Joey filed away in my memory banks as a good technical player without much soul/feeling in there.   Would have to go back and check out the albums to confirm.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I only have Out of the Sun, which is pretty good, but as Paul said, not up to Moore or TMac standards.

Offline Lowdz

Infra Blue was the follow up and I thng it went fusion-y. Can't remember much about it other than that I was disappointed. Might like it now - Greg Howe has grown on me.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Infra Blue was the follow up and I thng it went fusion-y. Can't remember much about it other than that I was disappointed. Might like it now - Greg Howe has grown on me.
The only reason I bought that was becasue Kee Marcello guested on a track - I remember that well.  Not a bad album but nothing great from memory.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I have no idea what we are talking about. I'll check back tomorrow! :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
One more "proof listen" and I will have the first podcast of the year ready for you.   I can't believe we have made it to 2017 after starting in late 2015 with what was really just a bit of fun for me and Ben.  I didn't really expect your interest (or mine to be honest) to be maintained for over a year but here we are!

As I have mentioned the next 2 shows will cover the best of 2016 .  They will be quite different and you can choose one or both or none :lol - the first is much more laid back and I am racing through the songs without a great deal of discussion.  It's intended to be the "best of the rest" and has a huge amount of music to listen to with minimal chat.  I know from roulettes and general discussion that my favourites aren't always yours and that many tracks on the shows are loved by some of you and not others.   So I don't think I would be achieving my goal (to find every one of you , with your varied tastes, some new faves) if I just did my Top 40 for 2016.

What I do think I can do is to act as some sort of "quality filter" and distill my thousand of hours of checking out albums in 2016 down to a couple of shows of the albums that I thought were at least pretty good and let you guys make up your own minds.

So the first show is made up of songs from albums that I felt were good without being great , but certainly contained some of the best songs of the year.   I have said prior that I think that a majority of the albums in my Top 40 or so will not be known to most of you guys.  So by default I expect most of your favourite albums to be featured in the first show and hopeufully also some new discoveries too.   This is a massive show of just under 9 hrs and contains a bit of everything - hard rock, metal , melodic rock/AOR, symphonic , power metal and even the odd growl :lol .   

The second show (still being prepared) is my Top 40 (or 41 I think it'll end up) albums of the year based on my rating system and we will chat about these in a bit more detail - the show will be much shorter though in the range of 3-4 hours.  The vast majority of this show is metal in one form or another.  As you guys know I rate albums based mostly on song ratings and so , although I may prefer to listen to a lower rated album due to a couple of killer songs , in the end my rating system will often give a higher rating to an album without that killer song but which is a more consistent effort with no duds.

So the bottom 15 or so of the Top 40 (rated in the mid-high 80's) may be consistent good albums missing that killer track. The top 25 or so (rated 90%+) are albums that I thought were consistently top notch throughout.   I still can't split my Top 2 , so I need to give those another listen and compare my neck soreness after each.  :metal

« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 12:13:16 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
9 hours? Wowzers

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
9 hours? Wowzers

Yep.........a lot of work in that for me (maybe nine-ty hours) , but in terms of songs..........maybe 100 or so which really isn't all that much to summarise a whole year in which I have checked thousands of albums.  Back in the day the metal show that was on weekly here was 4 hrs , so mine is 2 and a bit of those shows and I am averaging one every 8 weeks.

Anyway - no obligation to listen to it all (or listen in one sitting)  and that's why I split the shows.  :)  If it's too much.....those who just want a quick Top 40 can just take that show.

I've already listened to the 9 hr show four times   :metal
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 06:46:13 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)

Guys, think about  TAC's poor little heart when you post anything!  ;D

@Lowdz : I thought Infra Blue was better than Out of the Sun precisely because it differs from neo-classical playing (and as said before Taffola didn't stand a chance against the greats as TMac or Vinnie Moore).

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Lowdz

Guys, think about  TAC's poor little heart when you post anything!  ;D

@Lowdz : I thought Infra Blue was better than Out of the Sun precisely because it differs from neo-classical playing (and as said before Taffola didn't stand a chance against the greats as TMac or Vinnie Moore).

B.Lee

Yeah, but at the time I was hugely into the neoclassical thing and I couldn't get enough. Towards the end of the 80s, following Satriani's chart success they all quickly went for that sort of sound.