Author Topic: The Queensr˙che Discography Thread  (Read 107433 times)

Offline jammindude

Re: The Queensr˙che Discography Thread: Hear in the Now Frontier (1997)
« Reply #630 on: August 06, 2017, 10:19:49 PM »
I'm saying you are in the minority,  1% is exactly what I said.

I think you're being extreme.  There is as least one other person on this forum who proclaimed it as "awesome" (or another such word) and a handful more who ran to its defense as at least being much better than most people give it credit for.  And that is *JUST* on this forum.  That's hardly 1%.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #631 on: August 06, 2017, 11:02:50 PM »
OK enough arguing over T4E - save that for another thread.

Never got to post about HitNF - am on vacation right now, but got the time now. For me, PL was definitely a disappointment when I got it, although over time I came to appreciate it more (tho it still ranked behind RfO, O:M and Empire). But when HitNF came out (which I was excited for), I was absolutely disgusted by the album. I mean I hated it - couldn't stand it. Right off the bat, the mix was all wrong and nothing like the QR I had come to know and love. And then the quality of the songs was a huge nosedive too. One thing that I noticed that I don't like but seems to litter the album quite a bit is the use of slide guitar, starting with Sign of the Times. To this day, I don't see how many people name this as one of the better songs on the album. It's not the worst, but it's close to the bottom, IMO. Then you got the one-two punch of Cuckoo's Nest and Get a Life. Awful. The next 3 are kinda meh - OK but fairly forgettable. First bright spot for me really was You and the next was Reach. Hit the Black is pretty good, and of course spOOL is the only really quality track on the album. After giving the album maybe a second listen, I couldn't stand it any further and didn't even bother trying to listen to it again. Even the album art was a real turn off for me - seeing severed ears in mason jars with an embossed tri-ryche was not what I expected from them and was just plain weird (altho I find Bosk's commentary on All I Want and the potential connection to the artwork interesting).

Surprisingly, I ended up catching 2 shows for that tour (odd considering how much I loathed the album). I'm still not sure what possessed me to do it. In any case, I'm glad I did, because it was only after hearing those songs mixed in with the older catalog that my opinion of them started to improve to varying degrees. The stage was also very weird to me tho, with that inflatable ear and I think there was something else that was also inflated that served as a second video screen. Didn't like the non-symmetrical nature of the stage design at all. The one song disappointment for me from the first show (at Alpine Valley in Wisconsin) was the lack of RfO songs, my favorite album.

I was already a part of the fanclub and was getting copies of the Tri-ryche Times (or whatever the fanzine was called then) and managed to get meet 'n' greet passes for the next day (Tinley Park, outside of Chicago), so I was psyched to meet them despite the disappointing album. We were taken to a patio in the back of the venue where the semi-trucks loaded in the equipment and told to stand at the outer perimeter of the patio, and each of the guys would make their way around to greet us and sign something. Each one came out and the experience really was pretty non-descript, especially in retrospect - just the guys going through the motions from my perspective. Each would sign something (I think we were limited to one autograph, as there was probably 50 people there) and we could ask a question or chat with them for a few seconds before they moved on to the next person. CDG came out last, and he seemed to lag a little behind the other guys but not by much. However, when he got to me (there was probably less than 10 people after me), I started chatting with him about something, probably about the lack of RfO songs in the setlist (and the CD which I brought to have autographed) and writing longer songs in the future. The man then took the time to chat with me and I swear he must have talked with me at least a few minutes - a real conversation with direct eye contact and genuine interest in my viewpoint! It's funny, I remember thinking to myself "what do I talk to him about" because it seemed like our conversation lasted forever, and I was also worried about him not having time to speak with the rest of the fans waiting for him. Nonetheless, it really impressed me on the way he treated me and I will forever be grateful for that memory, even if I don't remember ever detail of what we talked about. It just echoes what Brian had said about his experience and shows what a great person he is.

Interestingly, that night, the band finally busted out Walk in the Shadows - I highly doubt my talking about the lack of RfO in the setlist had any impact on the setlist, but a little part of me can't help but think maybe it did.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #632 on: August 06, 2017, 11:56:49 PM »
Great story.  :tup

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #633 on: August 07, 2017, 03:00:07 AM »
Of course the played Walk In The Shadows because of you.
They don't call you Setlist Scotty for nuthin'.  ;)

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #634 on: August 07, 2017, 04:22:45 AM »

Haha, that's true  :tup
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #635 on: August 07, 2017, 05:34:15 AM »
I haven't listened to this album in a long long time and since I didn't discover Queensryche back in the day, when I eventually was getting all their albums I was pretty opened minded with this one.  I find it quite enjoyable.  There's some definite WTF is this? type moments, but some strong songs on there also.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #636 on: August 07, 2017, 01:53:51 PM »
At least HITNF sucked on purpose. PL.....
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #637 on: August 07, 2017, 02:44:27 PM »
Though, it is interesting that his Tinley Park show was the first appearance of a RfO song on that tour.   :metal

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #638 on: August 08, 2017, 08:54:32 AM »
CDG came out last, and he seemed to lag a little behind the other guys but not by much. However, when he got to me (there was probably less than 10 people after me), I started chatting with him about something, probably about the lack of RfO songs in the setlist (and the CD which I brought to have autographed) and writing longer songs in the future. The man then took the time to chat with me and I swear he must have talked with me at least a few minutes - a real conversation with direct eye contact and genuine interest in my viewpoint! It's funny, I remember thinking to myself "what do I talk to him about" because it seemed like our conversation lasted forever, and I was also worried about him not having time to speak with the rest of the fans waiting for him. Nonetheless, it really impressed me on the way he treated me and I will forever be grateful for that memory, even if I don't remember ever detail of what we talked about. It just echoes what Brian had said about his experience and shows what a great person he is.

Interestingly, that night, the band finally busted out Walk in the Shadows - I highly doubt my talking about the lack of RfO in the setlist had any impact on the setlist, but a little part of me can't help but think maybe it did.

Ah HA! So you're the reason! :lol Thank the Lord for Setlist Scotty!   :tup

Cool story man. Yeah, there is something about Chris where he goes the extra mile for the little details. I miss it in the music, I miss the thoughtful nature of the band in general. The older we get, the more thankful I am that I was able to see Queensryche with him 3x (and had the good fortunate of seeing him perform with Alice in Chains at the Tsunami Benefit show in 2005 -- Chris played lead acoustic guitar on one set, which I thought was odd), and then Jerry Cantrell did lead guitar on the electric set (Chris played both). But that's a story for another time.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Setzer

• Queensr˙che Aficionado
« Reply #639 on: August 08, 2017, 09:07:30 AM »
Though, it is interesting that his Tinley Park show was the first appearance of a RfO song on that tour.   :metal
Geoff killed "Walk in the Shadows" on this tour. In fact, he killed every single song! The best he sounded during the 90s if you ask me. His tone had gone back to sounding like a more mature Empire-Geoff (after the raspy Promised Land era), but his high range was the same as it was back in 1988 :metal

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #640 on: August 08, 2017, 10:00:51 AM »
Geoff killed "Walk in the Shadows" on this tour. In fact, he killed every single song! The best he sounded during the 90s if you ask me. His tone had gone back to sounding like a more mature Empire-Geoff (after the raspy Promised Land era), but his high range was the same as it was back in 1988 :metal

Maybe from the rest it got singing the ploddy HitNF era stuff...

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #641 on: August 08, 2017, 10:27:01 AM »
The Geek USA podcast just started a series on Queensryche
https://soundcloud.com/geek-usa/episode38queensrychept1

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #642 on: August 09, 2017, 07:03:04 AM »
^
Listened to various snippets of this.  Quite late in, one of them mentions marital problems, and that he 'thinks' DeGarmo was the only one not having problems at the time. Oy.  They should have read this thread first. 

For good (and bad), I've enjoyed the research and shared memories and song analysis of this LP more than most other LP discussions on DTF.  The change in producer/engineer was something I was unaware of.  Also gave me a reason to wear my tour tee shirt again (always loved wearing it occasionally at Queen conventions just to eff with people).

I quite like my edited version.  A shame that a band so groundbreaking has so much unenjoyable filler though.  Bands need to make subtle, and not drastic, changes to remain fresh and not sound stagnant (I guess).  Just don't mess with the winning formula too much.  At least in the seven year period from 'Empire' to HiTNF, it wasn't the shameful misstep of going from 'Bohemian Rhapsody' and 'A Night at the Opera' to 'Hot Space' with 'Body Language'.

...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline DougMasters

« Reply #643 on: August 10, 2017, 04:35:24 PM »
we actually just posted part 2 of our queensryche cast. thanks for the mention.
https://soundcloud.com/geek-usa/episode39queensrychept2

HITNF is one of those albums that i still dont like very much but dont hate it as much as i did when it came out. i was in my teens and man i HATED it. like i took how bad it was personally.

but i kinda dig how dry it is. sure the tunes are a little hoaky at times but they arent that bad.

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #644 on: August 11, 2017, 08:01:20 AM »
^
(will check it out over the weekend....thanks for the link)

Late '98 / early '99 might have been the best time to release a greatest hits package (certainly would have helped them financially), as it marked the end of an era.

Disc ONE (influenced by the '97 tour, my version to this day)

The Voice Inside / Empire / Anarchy-X / Revolution Calling / Operation: Mindcrime / Jet City Woman / Another Rainy Night / Silent Lucidity 9:28 A.M. (final 15 seconds) / I Am I / Damaged / Out Of Mind / Real World / Sign Of The Times / You / Eyes Of A Stranger / Anybody Listening?   

Disc TWO (for the headbangers and those who like extra/'new' tracks included)

Warning / The Lady Wore Black / Take Hold Of The Flame / Walk In The Shadows / I Dream In Infrared / London / Road To Madness /
The Mission / I Don't Believe In Love / Best I Can / The Killing Words (MTV) / Chasing Blue Sky / Someone Else (extended version) /
My Empty Room (live) / Eyes Of A Stranger (live) 
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #645 on: August 11, 2017, 08:39:22 AM »
Late '98 / early '99 might have been the best time to release a greatest hits package (certainly would have helped them financially), as it marked the end of an era.

Actually, you aren't too far off.  They did release a greatest hits album in mid-2000.  And I think, for a hits package, the track list is pretty solid:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greatest_Hits_(Queensr%C3%BFche_album)

1. Queen of the Reich 
2. The Lady Wore Black
3. Warning
4. Take Hold of the Flame
5. Walk in the Shadows
6. I Dream in Infrared
7. I Don't Believe in Love
8. Eyes of a Stranger
9. Jet City Woman
10. Empire
11. Silent Lucidity
12. I Am I
13. Bridge
14. Sign of the Times
15. Chasing Blue Sky (bonus track)
16. Someone Else? (full band version, bonus track)

The hits are all there (minus maybe Another Rainy Night), plus a pretty good sampling of their older material for those who may have jumped on the train late.  And they acknowledged that two latter albums of that era (PL and HITNF), while not harping on them.  And the two bonus tracks are a really nice addition for those who may not have been able to have obtained them previously. 

Subjective tastes about what a particular fan might like to include if the track list was up to that person individually, it's really a pretty solid collection.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #646 on: August 11, 2017, 09:07:19 AM »
^
Agreed. 

Hits packages for most bands are hit or miss, especially when they don't include many of the 'best' songs (which, of course, is all subjective).  Timing is another.  Releasing their Greatest Hits after the HiTNF follow up didn't help matters for many reasons.   #149 as the high mark on Billboard attests to that.

A Christmas present I recorded for myself but gave to the ex......the cassettes I made for us both removed a couple of the more metal tracks (once again, personal preference), and certainly included 'Another Rainy Night' and 'Real World'  ......two HUGE omissions.  Also, the Pavlovian in me needs that song that follows 'I Am I', otherwise my brain is a tad damaged. ;)

Sadly, unlike the previous four studio albums, I made a GH after 'Front Ear' because, even in a version that at the time, I only used nine tracks, was about five tracks too many to listen to on a regular basis.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #647 on: August 11, 2017, 09:34:18 AM »
I don't want to get too deep into this, since we technically aren't there yet in the timeline, and this is a timeline-oriented thread.  But as to this point:

... 'Another Rainy Night' and 'Real World'  ......two HUGE omissions.  Also, the Pavlovian in me needs that song that follows 'I Am I', otherwise my brain is a tad damaged. ;)

Yeah, I just chalk it up to, you can't include EVERYTHING.  2-disk hits packages are pretty rare, even nowadays (QR's own 2-disk set a bit down the road notwithstanding).  With the state of their label issues at the time and where music was headed in the late '90s, I think doing a 2-disk set isn't realistic.  So you have to pick and choose what to include when you have a discography as deep as this band did back then.  I mean, they weren't a band that decided to do a hits package after only 3 albums.  I mean, they had 7 studio albums at the time counting the EP (and not counting Q2K, since it probably wasn't out at the time the label was compiling the tracks for this collection, and the label probably didn't have the rights to the Q2K material anyway).  If you try to do a fair representation of the entire discography, it gets difficult.  Up to Empire, they did 2 tracks per album.  That's pretty good representation.  They went with 3 of the 5 singles from Empire, and chose the 3 biggest.  I can't fault them for that.  I get that there is a good argument for having it on there.  But I can't fault the label at all for leaving it off.

As for leaving off Real World, I never really considered that a misstep either.  2 "bonus" tracks is pretty good.  And they went with relative rarities, so I'm fine with them leaving off the more recent and more-readily available song.  That Last Action Hero soundtrack was a bit of an oddity anyway with regard to availability.  Most soundtracks are pretty rare and released in very limited numbers.  The Last Action Hero soundtrack seems to have been out there in much bigger quantity, and thus much easier to obtain.  That and the soundtrack for Singles stick out in my mind as soundtracks that really had their own legs and sold well as albums in their own right.  So I guess what I am trying to say is, for non-album tracks, Real World was much easier to obtain than the much rarer B-side and import bonus track they gave us, so I think those were great inclusions over Real World.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #648 on: August 11, 2017, 09:34:36 AM »
Anyway - what the weird and quirky title was supposed to mean?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #649 on: August 11, 2017, 10:05:21 AM »
I was going to edit my reply, but Bosk already replied to it, so.....'Two Miles High' would have been another good addition.

Hits packages would be good for an entire separate thread (my three Queen versions follow the basic formula, but are so 'different' and expanded from the official releases....which also had different track listings for the first Hits in different countries......but, I digress)

I was on the 'more personal' preferences regarding ARN and Real World.  It would have been nice to have a 'Real World' version that was the same volume and somewhat close mix as all the rest of Qryche's hits.  But, those were huge hits.  'Real World' reached #3, 'Another Rainy Night' reached #7.  There were tons of 'metalheads' that are fans, as well as some of us older farts, and women (my ex and current of 15 years), who liked the more melodic (yet heavy) side of the band.  As well as the image.

An option of buying Hits 1, Hits 2, or both as a package 'could' have worked well for the band (Queen did it the right way with a Hollywood Records version(s) in the 90s).  Fanatics would buy them all (my wife and I included).  The general public would look at the cost, the deal, and the product.  It's all hindsight now as to Qryche.  The band's record company problems obviously had a huge impact on them (understated). 

Totally agree on what you said.  Would be easier to sit at a bar and discuss all the variances and problems and possibilities, as well as how to do time travel to assist in some needed changes....................

Addendum:  wish they'd have released a full concert CD/video after this tour (or for PL).  I bought a few somewhat crappy bootleg DVDs of this (and prior) tour(s) back in the day.  ytube over the years has certainly helped, but it would have been nice to have a good sounding (and visual) version of this tour available. 

Oh, and as to the Hits 1, 2, or package of both of tracks I listed.......back in the day, I would have bought them all.  Some for bonuses, as well as to have tracks such as 'Warning', 'The Lady Wore Black', 'London', 'Road To Madness',.....that I had to borrow my friend's CDs at various times for various reasons.

...and....this is a discussion forum.  What would everyone suggest as to 'hits' packages at this time?  I thought my listings were pretty inclusive and all encompassing for the most part.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 03:14:02 PM by DragonAttack »

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #650 on: August 11, 2017, 04:39:27 PM »
Just a quick update:

I'm going to cover the period of 1998-2001 in two separate entries, as opposed to one. The first will be Jan. 1998 through Q2k (and its support tour, which finished approximately June 2000). The next period will be Aug. 2000-Nov. 2001, which encapsulates the band's first Greatest Hits album and the Live Evolution release.

The Jan. 1998-June. 2000 period works because we'll talk about the recruitment of Kelly Gray, the band members' pursuit of other projects, and then finally the creation and promotion of Q2k. The Aug. 2000-Nov. 2001 period will be notable for the band's tours to support both The Greatest Hits album and then Live Evolution, before another key point in the band's history.

More next week. Have a nice weekend.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #651 on: August 11, 2017, 06:26:46 PM »
 :tup

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #652 on: August 11, 2017, 06:51:11 PM »
Just a quick update:

I'm going to cover the period of 1998-2001 in two separate entries, as opposed to one. The first will be Jan. 1998 through Q2k (and its support tour, which finished approximately June 2000). The next period will be Aug. 2000-Nov. 2001, which encapsulates the band's first Greatest Hits album and the Live Evolution release.

The Jan. 1998-June. 2000 period works because we'll talk about the recruitment of Kelly Gray, the band members' pursuit of other projects, and then finally the creation and promotion of Q2k. The Aug. 2000-Nov. 2001 period will be notable for the band's tours to support both The Greatest Hits album and then Live Evolution, before another key point in the band's history.

Didn't think the band had any more key points!  ;D

Offline njfirefighter

« Reply #653 on: August 11, 2017, 09:29:43 PM »
Just a quick update:

Didn't think the band had any more key points!  ;D

:rollin  There are a few more. Q2k had just as many good moments as HITNF, then there's still Tribe, after that yeah, ya could pretty much jump to 2013, I'm sure that will pretty much be the sentiment regarding everything else in between.   

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #654 on: August 12, 2017, 03:54:47 AM »
I've been listening to the next two in preparation - well, I tried. Had to turn off Tribe after three songs because it was so awful, but we'll get to that.  :lol

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #655 on: August 12, 2017, 04:11:22 AM »
I've been listening to the next two in preparation - well, I tried. Had to turn off Tribe after three songs because it was so awful, but we'll get to that.  :lol

Won't get ahead of things either but very brielfy, I remember back in the day thinking that Tribe was quite okay-ish, a very minor return to form, I'll have to see how the consensus on that album will be  :D

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #656 on: August 12, 2017, 10:09:19 AM »
There are plenty of noteworthy points throughout the rest of the discography (including D2C). Lets not be so negative. The point of this is to cover the history, but also re-expose (or expose for those who skipped it) people to good music that may have been overlooked.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #657 on: August 12, 2017, 10:48:58 AM »
There are plenty of noteworthy points throughout the rest of the discography (including D2C). Lets not be so negative. The point of this is to cover the history, but also re-expose (or expose for those who skipped it) people to good music that may have been overlooked.

I'm just joshing.  :)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #658 on: August 12, 2017, 12:44:58 PM »
One last note on HITNF for me:  I think I mentioned that this album came out my senior year of college.  It was really a great time in a lot of ways.  I had gotten free of a really bad relationship that would have ruined me if it continued, and felt truly liberated.  I had reunited with the girl who would become my wife.  I was getting ready to graduate.  Lots of positives.  ...and some real hardships as well, dealing with my dad's cancer.  Bottom line, it was a time of emotion, both positive and negative.  And because of that, it is a time that I look back on with great nostalgia.  The music of Queensryche, and this album specifically, was background at the time, and I have a deep emotional connection with the album because of that.

Also, during this time, I was not really connected with many Queensryche "fans" at all, so I didn't really know what the general response to the album was.  As far as I knew, people generally liked it just fine, for the most part.  I know I did.  And me playing that album turned a friend of mine onto the band as well.  She wasn't really into metal at all, but she connected with this album. 

The music scene had also REALLY begun to shift by this point.  Grunge was beginning to fade, other than the bands that had made it big, and alternative rock and nu metal were where rock was at.  This meant that most of the '80s hard rock bands I had grown up with had broken up or were on indefinite hiatus at this point.  I had found some other music I liked, and the '90s were the time I started finally exploring thrash, so it was fine.  But music was changing.  And because of what was available to listen to, my tastes were starting to change a bit as well as I adapted to what was out there.  This will be key when we get to Q2K for me.  It wasn't really until just before Q2K came out that I started connecting with folks in law school who had known the band and jumped ship because they didn't like HITNF at all.  But more on that in a bit...

Offline Mladen

« Reply #659 on: August 12, 2017, 01:14:26 PM »
I'm very open minded to the next few albums - I'm sure there will be some good tracks to rock out to.  :metal

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #660 on: August 12, 2017, 02:00:46 PM »
Unfortunately, I'm not... though it's not all awful.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #661 on: August 12, 2017, 05:06:51 PM »
I'm very open minded to the next few albums - I'm sure there will be some good tracks to rock out to.  :metal
This. I don't go into music wanting to hate it and hope for some gems in the coming albums.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
1998 Transition and Q2k (1999)

The departure of Queensr˙che guitarist and chief songwriter Chris DeGarmo was a significant blow to the band in late 1997. Having relied on DeGarmo to guide the creative aspect of Queensr˙che since the band's inception, it came as a surprise to many fans when Queensr˙che announced its decision to carry on without him. For months, two questions reverberated throughout the band's fanbase – "how and with whom?" Initially, rumor spread that the band had discussed adding a keyboard player to its ranks, leaving Michael Wilton as the sole guitarist. Another hot stove discussion had Queensr˙che becoming a four-piece band, re-arranging songs when needed to accommodate the lineup change.

All the while, Tate was testing the waters outside of Queensryche, most notably with Journey. Tate auditioned for the band and wrote demos with Neal Schon and Jonathan Cain. The sessions spurred three songs, one of which had a title: “Walking Away from the Edge.” The songs would ultimately be completely re-written and appear on Journey's Red 13 EP with singer Steve Augeri. But Augeri was extremely complimentary of Tate. Check out some of the fan chatter from 10 years ago when the topic surfaced at MelodicRock.com:

https://forums.melodicrock.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=29644

Note: There are a couple different articles on the Internet that speak briefly of Tate's audition, including one with Ross Valory, who confirmed the audition, and complimented Tate on his voice, but he simply wasn't the right fit for the band.

Tate obviously did not get the gig, and returned to focusing primarily on Queensryche. Throughout the year, Queensryche.com started posting pictures of an unnamed guitarist, blocking out his face. Tons of names were thrown out there. In the end, however, Queensr˙che reached into the past, emerging with fellow Seattle native Kelly Gray. Gray, the former guitarist of MYTH (a band that vocalist Geoff Tate fronted prior to joining Queensr˙che) was now a successful record producer and ironically, had been slated to produce the next Queensr˙che album (according to Gray) prior to DeGarmo's departure.

At Tate's urging, Kelly sat down for a jam session with Michael Wilton, and the duo wrote the music to "Right Side of My Mind" on the spot – a clear sign to the band that they had found the right man to follow DeGarmo. To gauge fan opinion, Queensr˙che staged two fan events – "Seattle '98" and "Seattle '99" – the latter of which included a live performance that was well received by fan club members who were able to attend. It was held on Jan. 16, 1999, at NAF Studios in Seattle.

Check out the setlist and some of my personal photos of the gig here: https://anybodylistening.net/1-16-99.html

Of note are a couple of new songs that were played: "One," "Breakdown Room," "Right Side," "Sacred Ground," and "Burning Man." All of those would appear on Queensryche's forthcoming record, Q2k. As you probably noted, the first three on that list were re-titled prior to the record being released eight months later. A few days prior to the show, Seattle's rock station, KISW, hosted the band and debuted three new demo versions of songs: "Breakdown Room," "Liquid Sky" and "Sacred Ground."

Of all the new songs named above, only "Breakdown Room" was significantly altered from demo to finished track. The demo featured Tate screaming "Breakdown" much more harshly throughout the tune, and had a slightly different arrangement.

Gray's combination of guitar playing and songwriting, knowledge of record production, and connections at major record labels (Queensr˙che had finished up a seven-album deal with EMI before the label folded in 1997) was exactly what the band needed at the time. Essentially, Kelly's involvement resurrected Queensr˙che at a time when the remaining members of the band could have moved on to other things (like Tate's aforementioned audition with Journey).

Seattlites and northwest metal fans who remembered Gray as a guitar player in the early 1980s recalled how he was very influenced by Richie Blackmore of Deep Purple, and was able to shred with the best. However, over time, Kelly's guitar playing and songwriting styles shifted. Taking a much different approach to music than DeGarmo, Kelly focused more on rhythm and groove than the intricate guitar solos and time changes Queensr˙che was known for. The change was a drastic departure for the band, but one that ultimately got them signed to Atlantic Records. For the first time in years, the entire band sat in the studio together and wrote as a unit with Gray taking over DeGarmo's role, reviving the band members' confidence and revitalizing their desire to play music.

Q2k

Lead vocals: Geoff Tate
Rhythm & lead guitar, background vocals: Kelly Gray
Rhythm & lead guitar: Michael Wilton
Bass & background vocals: Eddie Jackson
Drums & percussion: Scott Rockenfield

Produced by Queensryche (Kelly Gray)
Engineered by Kelly Gray
Mixed by Jon Plum at London Bridge Studios (Redmond, Wash.)

With a new record deal, renewed chemistry and an album the band members believed in, Queensr˙che was reborn. The band released Q2k on Sept. 14, 1999, with "Breakdown" as the lead single sent to radio. Initially pushed hard by reps from Atlantic Records, the song appeared on modern rock stations nationwide, but was quickly dropped from rotation.

Fans, even hardcore ones, were equally as brutal in their regard for Q2k. Many deadpanned it the moment it was released, and were unrelenting in the criticism online of Kelly Gray, often referring to him as a “Klingon” in reference to both his hair and his more brutish style of playing. That angst was no doubt partially an outburst from those upset with DeGarmo leaving, but it had a much bigger impact on Q2k's sales and reception than the band probably thought it would.

Despite the criticism, Q2k has its finer moments. The opening cut, “Falling Down,”  features a trade-off guitar solo between Wilton and Gray. The song is mid-tempo, but has a solid groove (the entire album does). What's striking is the increased reliance more on the rhythm section than the guitar. (Think the verses of “Best I Can.”) The song ended up being one of Q2k's singles.

“Sacred Ground” was never a single, but musically, one of the record's more striking tracks. Unfortunately, Tate's lyrics mar this a bit. There's no getting around it – the song is quite clearly about him and his wife, Susan. The line “when I'm inside you, it brings me to sacred ground” is pretty clear. Yes, you could make an argument that the lyrics are meant to be interpreted differently, but the fact is, at least in most fans' opinions, they weren't. They were taken just as you probably imagine taking them. It made the song more of a joke than something to be respected, which, on a personal note, sucked, because the music was good.

“Right Side of My Mind” is probably the most respected and liked track on the album. Like “Falling Down,” it also features a trade-off guitar solo, but has a much more epic vibe than Q2k's opener. It was a single and had an animated video that was debuted on VH-1 Classic in 2000. That video was done by Rory Berger, who also ran lighting for Queensryche on the road at times.

“Liquid Sky” is another high point for Q2k. With a great drum groove and killer guitar riff, it quickly became a fan favorite live. “When the Rain Comes...,” a bluesier/epic ballad,  the tune struck an emotional chord with fans as well. It features a classic Wilton guitar solo, and was one of Tate's favorites from the record (he posted on the band's website once he finished laying the vocals down for it).

The rest of Q2k is more or less a story of “what if” moments. “Burning Man” starts off with an aggressive beat and guitar lick, but quickly becomes lyrically repetitive and goes nowhere, despite its promise. The band was high on the tune, using it to close out shows throughout the Q2k tour, encouraging fans to sing along with the simple chorus. Songs such as "Wot Kinda Man" and “One Life” really don't go anywhere either, and overall, the album was a bit too mid-tempo and flat/uninteresting for most fans' tastes.

There were a number of leftover tracks that didn't make Q2k's initial pressing. According to Kelly Gray, those songs were “Discipline,” “Monologue,” “I Howl,” and “'Til There Was You.” Gray told me in an interview in 2001 that “Discipline” “could probably be resurrected,” and was a more typical “Queensryche-like” track. He called “Monologue” a “punk-ish tune” that Eddie Jackson wrote. Two of those four tracks were included on an expanded edition of Q2k through Rhino Records in 2006. “I Howl” became “Howl,” and “Til There Was You” was re-titled “Until There Was You.” The re-issue also contained a radio edit of “Breakdown” and a live version of “Sacred Ground.”

"Until There Was You" was a sappy ballad (which he's said was devoted to his wife) that Tate played at various solo shows in 2001. We'll get to the solo tour he took later. "Howl," however, was a bit more aggressive, featuring some higher pitched Tate vocals, a nice guitar riff, and as with many Q2k cuts, a great groove. “Howl” is worth seeking out, if you haven't heard it. In fact, personally, it is my favorite tune from the Q2k era. It was never played live.

In terms of songwriting, the songs on Q2k were credited to the entire band, although Gray clearly shouldered a heavy load and stepped right into DeGarmo's shoes. In the aforementioned interview I did with Kelly Gray in June 2001, he also went a little more detailed on the co-writes. The following are from memory, but from what I recall, are accurate (credits in alphabetical order):

1. Falling Down (Gray/Tate/Wilton)
2. Sacred Ground (Gray/Rockenfield/Tate)
3. One Life (Gray/Tate)
4. When the Rain Comes... (Tate/Wilton)
5. How Could I? (Gray/Tate)
6. Beside You (Gray/Tate)
7. Liquid Sky (Gray/Rockenfield/Tate)
8. Breakdown (Gray/Jackson/Tate/Wilton)*
9. Burning Man (Gray/Rockenfield/Tate)*
10. Wot Kinda Man (Gray/Tate)
11. Right Side of My Mind (Gray/Tate/Wilton)

* - these are the two I am unsure about. Gray and Tate are correct, but Jackson WAS a co-writer on one of them, I just forget which. I'm pretty sure I have it correct, and it is "Breakdown."

12. Until There Was You (Gray/Tate)
13. Howl (unknown – although it's a sure bet it's Gray/Tate, although Eddie's bass playing is prominently featured, so I assume he also had a hand in writing it. The solo is clearly Kelly Gray).

Lyrics/Melodies

One of the key elements of Queensryche's music had always been the challenging vocal melodies and engaging lyrics the band presented. DeGarmo, as most hardcores know, but many fans probably have no idea, helped shape Tate's vocal melodies over the years. Even on the songs where Tate was credited with writing the lyrics, he worked with DeGarmo on the vocal melodies extensively.

So, Q2k was Tate's first record without DeGarmo's influence in that department and it showed. The vocal melodies weren't bad, but they weren't all that memorable either. They were safer, simpler, and less interesting. In fairness, vocal melody complexity had started to shift as far back as Promised Land, where Tate opted for a simpler delivery. However, when DeGarmo left, the vocal melodies took a big nose dive in terms of quality.

The same was true with the lyrics. Quite simply, the lyrics to Q2k were...a far cry from the social commentary and thought-provoking records of Queensryche's past. Even the heavily-criticized Hear in the Now Frontier, while spotty, had a number of great lyrical moments on it. Q2k, however, spent a lot of time on relationships. TOO much time in this writer's opinion. From the cringe-worthy "Sacred Ground" to "How Could I?" there was nothing very thought-provoking. Even the songs not about personal relationships, such as "Falling Down" and "Liquid Sky," really didn't jump out and engage the listener lyrically.

Lyrics are often overlooked, but like the vocal melodies, they were integral to Queensryche's unique sound. And Q2k, with Tate assuming responsibility for both areas, unfortunately, fell flat in that regard. It exposed a significant weakness in the band's songwriting capabilities that suffered on subsequent records, except in certain situations such as Tribe (we'll get to that later).

Note on production: Behind the glass, there isn't much to say regarding Q2k's production. It was muddy, plain and simple. However, it was less dry than Hear in the Now Frontier. The sound is typical of a Kelly Gray-produced album, and frankly, generally what bands were doing in the mid-late 1990s. Some people liked it, some didn't. It certainly fit Kelly Gray's rawer style, but didn't do Wilton any favors. Jon Plum mixed the album, who handled many mixes of records done at London Bridge Studios in Redmond, Wash., where Kelly does a lot of work. While the record says produced by Queensryche, Kelly Gray spearheaded the engineering and production duties.

CD Singles

Touring

The Electric Shockwaves Tour (the name taken from a line in “Liquid Sky”) in support of Q2k began in October 1999 in Boise, Idaho, and ran through June 2000. Queensryche played all over the United States and Europe, with a variety of bands in support, including doubleDrive, Caroline's Spine, Project 86, Jesse James Dupree, and The Tea Party.

The tour relied heavily on tracks from Q2k and Operation: Mindcrime, along with a smattering of songs from Empire, Hear in the Now Frontier, and other albums. Queensryche also featured a couple of covers in the setlist, including “Bullet the Blue Sky” from U2, and “Join Together” by The Who (European shows). While Gray had sounded very good in the fan club show of 2001, it didn't dawn on people (at least on me) that they were playing songs then that relied heavily on Wilton's lead work. Once on tour for Q2k, Gray's renditions of DeGarmo's parts were...different, to say the least. Most notable was "Jet City Woman" which was slightly re-arranged, with the lead guitar parts altered significantly. The drastic shift in style from DeGarmo's clean, crisp, melodic playing, to Gray's more wah-reliant sound was, frankly, shocking, and a major turn-off to many fans.

Queensryche played indoor theaters and a few small amphitheaters in the U.S. on the Q2k tour, with a minimalist stage set up of two large tri-ryches hanging behind the band. The eight-month trek had a couple of breaks worked in, but for the most part, they heavily toured the record.

Touring heavily usually wasn't difficult for Queensryche. But things changed a bit with Kelly Gray. Fan reaction to Gray's playing style turned sour, and unknown at the time to fans, according to Geoff Tate in the liner notes of the 2006 re-release of Q2k, Kelly led a much different life on the road than the rest of the band. Said Tate:

"We were in a brand-new world, Kelly's world … Kelly lived hard and fast, and the people around him were the same. I have personally never seen as many drugs and as much alcohol consumed as when Kelly was in the band …The toll of indulgence was heavy. The band wasn't speaking, the new manager was fired, we were looking for a new record company, and three of our friends were dead. Road life is tough. It's not for everyone, and some people can't pace themselves, and then they get into trouble."

For reference, here was Queensryche full set of tunes for the first leg of the Q2k tour. (Wot Kinda Man would only be played sporadically, and the band would add cuts such as Walk in the Shadows, and the abridged version of NM 156 that had the shortened solo on later legs.) www.anybodylistening.net/10-30-99.html

Revolution Calling
Speak
Falling Down
Damaged
Empire
Liquid Sky
Spreading The Disease/ Electric Requiem
The Right Side Of My Mind
When The Rain Comes
Breaking The Silence
I Don't Believe In Love
Jet City Woman
Reach
Hit The Black
Wot Kinda Man
Sacred Ground
One Life
Breakdown
Bullet The Blue Sky (U2)
The Needle Lies
Eyes Of A Stranger
Silent Lucidity

I forgot to note -- the intro to "Revolution Calling" was NOT "Anarchy-X." The band worked up a basic instrumental intro that built up to the song.

Queensryche was off the road for a couple of months after concluding dates in support of Q2k, but would hit the road again in August 2000 as direct support to one of heavy metal's iconic acts.

Samsara's top-3 from Q2k: Howl, When the Rain Comes..., Liquid Sky

Next up: 2000-2001 (Greatest Hits & Live Evolution)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 05:29:26 PM by Samsara »

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I really enjoy Right Side of My Mind and Liquid Sky. Breakdown is alright as well, but the rest of Q2K is a chore to sit through and very little of any interest to me. The songs seem to come alive a bit more on Live Evolution.

Offline T-ski

I really enjoy Right Side of My Mind and Liquid Sky. Breakdown is alright as well, but the rest of Q2K is a chore to sit through and very little of any interest to me. The songs seem to come alive a bit more on Live Evolution.

pretty much my thoughts as well. 

Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?