Author Topic: In Defense of James LaBrie: A Manifesto  (Read 8373 times)

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
Re: In Defense of James LaBrie: A Manifesto
« Reply #70 on: April 08, 2024, 06:09:48 PM »
It's also futile for anyone to argue that he must've done a million takes just because he could. Maybe he did two or three, maybe one, maybe fifteen. But assuming off the bat that he did more rather than fewer is just assuming the worst.

The point is, he has the notes. Consistent delivery is going to depend now upon whether he fixes his technique.

And I have no reason to believe that, with the 40th anniversary tour upon us, that he won't understand that they need to be at their best and give it his all.

thank you as always for your comforting words. James is going to deliver and it's going to be amazing!
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #71 on: April 08, 2024, 06:56:48 PM »
Do you work in sales by any chance?

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #72 on: April 08, 2024, 09:07:24 PM »
thank you as always for your comforting words. James is going to deliver and it's going to be amazing!
The naivete is strong here.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline crystalstars17

« Reply #73 on: April 09, 2024, 06:04:00 AM »
Yeah, this is why I'm cautiously optimistic.

I agree with "cautious optimism". The rest is really up to him.

Offline gborland

« Reply #74 on: April 09, 2024, 06:10:23 AM »
And I have no reason to believe that, with the 40th anniversary tour upon us, that he won't understand that they need to be at their best and give it his all.

Do you think he didn't realise this on the previous tour? Do you think he was getting lazy or complacent, and just not trying hard enough? (Genuine question.)

Graham Borland

Offline efx

« Reply #75 on: April 09, 2024, 06:32:11 AM »
I feel like that quote from him that he can not sing like he used to is the first admission I've really ever heard from him that there might be an issue. At this point, all I want from him is to at least make an attempt beforehand to change what can change, be that alternate lines or whatever. But for me, him just kind of going for it on stage obviously didn't work and I would hate to see that again. If he comes across as being prepared with changes I can more easily live with the fact that he is not perhaps what he was.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #76 on: April 09, 2024, 07:04:09 AM »
It's also futile for anyone to argue that he must've done a million takes just because he could. Maybe he did two or three, maybe one, maybe fifteen. But assuming off the bat that he did more rather than fewer is just assuming the worst.
I am in no way assuming that he took multiple takes.  I'm just saying that the existence of this clip (which was from 2021, amirite?) doesn't necessarily mean anything because of the possibility of multiple takes.

Then I wonder why he didn't feel that he needed to be at his best and give it his all on the last several tours already.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline crystalstars17

« Reply #77 on: April 09, 2024, 11:06:34 AM »
Do you think he didn't realise this on the previous tour? Do you think he was getting lazy or complacent, and just not trying hard enough? (Genuine question.)

Not really. More like he may have been concentrating on the wrong things.

« Reply #78 on: April 09, 2024, 11:21:54 AM »
I feel like that quote from him that he can not sing like he used to is the first admission I've really ever heard from him that there might be an issue. At this point, all I want from him is to at least make an attempt beforehand to change what can change, be that alternate lines or whatever. But for me, him just kind of going for it on stage obviously didn't work and I would hate to see that again. If he comes across as being prepared with changes I can more easily live with the fact that he is not perhaps what he was.

Where is this quote? I don't think I've seen it before
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #80 on: April 09, 2024, 12:42:52 PM »
More like he may have been concentrating on the wrong things.

I'm not sure what to make of this comment. I'm not sure I buy it, honestly. James has been a singer/performer for decades and he should be well aware of what to "concentrate" on.

Personally, I just feel that he was cooked. Not as in permanently, but I think he went out on Dreamsonic with nothing in the tank. He was mightily struggling on the previous leg in Europe. Not sure what the business behind Dreamsonic was, but maybe he just took one for the team. In a way, I'd kind of respect that.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #81 on: April 09, 2024, 01:33:35 PM »
For what it's worth, I've actually felt like maybe that is in fact the case.

But as far as DreamSonic, yeah, I've seen some videos where he clearly struggled, but the show I was at was REALLY good all around.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #82 on: April 09, 2024, 02:07:35 PM »
I have found that James goes through lulls as a vocalist and then will beat expectations when it really matters. Score is the classic example where he really brought the goods after a few years that were ifffy live. Another great example is when Mangini joined the band and he put in what I felt were some of his best live and studio performances between 2011 and 2014. I wouldn’t be surprised if we get something similar this year especially with getting a pretty substantial break from gigs between Dreamsonic and the London show in October. And as MP said, people are going to be dissecting that first show all over the Internet so I’m sure JLB is feeling the pressure in a way he hasn’t the last couple years.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #83 on: April 09, 2024, 02:16:37 PM »
I have found that James goes through lulls as a vocalist and then will beat expectations when it really matters. Score is the classic example where he really brought the goods after a few years that were ifffy live.

I don't know. James was outstanding on both the Train Of Thought tour and the 8V tour.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #84 on: April 09, 2024, 02:47:48 PM »
I don't know. James was outstanding on both the Train Of Thought tour and the 8V tour.

ToT tour was surprisingly awesome and he was so consistent. I don't agree about 8V tour. Yes, there were several dates he was awesome but overall it was mediocre. I find him outstanding during SC tour, especially 15th anniversary of I&W during that time.

The last time I think he was great is D/T tour back in 2014.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline efx

« Reply #85 on: April 09, 2024, 02:58:20 PM »
ToT tour was surprisingly awesome and he was so consistent. I don't agree about 8V tour. Yes, there were several dates he was awesome but overall it was mediocre. I find him outstanding during SC tour, especially 15th anniversary of I&W during that time.

The last time I think he was great is D/T tour back in 2014.

2014 was such a great tour. He sounded great there. My favorite tour of their since the 90's.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #86 on: April 09, 2024, 05:54:09 PM »

From what I remember (take that into consideration lol) it was like SDOIT to 8V was a steady improvement. Then SC forward has been a steady decline. Although there have been sweet spots. Like when I saw him on DOT he seemed better than on TA and the IWandB.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #87 on: April 10, 2024, 08:17:37 AM »
2014 was such a great tour. He sounded great there. My favorite tour of their since the 90's.

True, most of the performances I've seen he was pretty great throughout the tour.
From the Astonishing tour and onwards, it seemed that he is in a steady decline.

Offline EvantheMotel6Owmer

• The Dream Theater obsessive of Southern Michigan.
« Reply #88 on: April 10, 2024, 08:23:35 AM »
From what I remember, he sounded really good in 2014 and parts of 2019. 2016 and 2017 were pretty bad, as was 2022.
"The powers that be made you a martyr, conspiracy lead you to slaughter."

Offline crystalstars17

« Reply #89 on: April 10, 2024, 08:47:04 AM »
I'm not sure what to make of this comment. I'm not sure I buy it, honestly. James has been a singer/performer for decades and he should be well aware of what to "concentrate" on.

Well by this I meant, speaking of the last year or two specifically, doing things like making sure he sang louder (pushing his lower register in the process) during BITS to prove he was not lip syncing, or adding too much ornamentation that was stylistically overdone in some songs, or trying to change melodies on the fly... Instead of working on his technical issues from the ground up. Every, literally every singer needs to do that for themselves once on a while.

But I agree with your assessment of "nothing in the tank" for Dreamsonic. Hopefully he's had a good rest and is doing all the right things for his voice ahead of what's coming.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #90 on: April 10, 2024, 09:08:44 AM »
Not sure what the business behind Dreamsonic was, but maybe he just took one for the team.
I've thought of this too because it's in character for him. He went out to tour after his food poisoning and sang very demanding shows ever since no matter the condition of his voice, so of course he would go out now too. It's probably just another day on the job for him. I don't really like that he's like that, but he's not gonna change at almost 60 I guess!

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline crystalstars17

« Reply #91 on: April 10, 2024, 09:29:28 AM »
I've thought of this too because it's in character for him. He went out to tour after his food poisoning and sang very demanding shows ever since no matter the condition of his voice, so of course he would go out now too. It's probably just another day on the job for him. I don't really like that he's like that, but he's not gonna change at almost 60 I guess!

I think if anything his "taking one for the team" was when he kept on singing and touring on that injury when he should've been under the care of a good ENT and on vocal rest! He may be in a much better place now had he given himself that rehabilitative time then, but also the other side to it is that history could've looked very different for his career and for DT.

I think it was a no win situation and they did the best they could with it all. Now the Gandalf quote fits perfectly here: "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us". He only has today, and here's hoping he makes the healthiest decisions going forward.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #92 on: April 10, 2024, 09:31:49 AM »
Gandalf sounds like a black metal band guy. I don't know who he is.

Offline crystalstars17

« Reply #93 on: April 10, 2024, 09:37:25 AM »

Haha, lol not quite but I love it 😂 He's a character in the Lord of the Rings.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Your sloth is in another castle
« Reply #94 on: April 10, 2024, 09:38:13 AM »

The Wizard from Lord of the Rings.
Old guy, big gray hat.
Ian McKellan
“You shall not pass”

Hopefully one of those rings a bell  :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #95 on: April 10, 2024, 09:40:40 AM »

:facepalm:

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: April 10, 2024, 09:42:22 AM »
HOW MANY TIMES

I am Astounded :lol never change TAC!!!

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline efx

« Reply #97 on: April 10, 2024, 09:45:03 AM »
Sorry, had to :)

Offline crystalstars17

« Reply #98 on: April 10, 2024, 09:51:51 AM »
 :rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #99 on: April 10, 2024, 09:53:27 AM »
FFS TAC
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline crystalstars17

« Reply #100 on: April 10, 2024, 09:55:00 AM »
Where's my Fun Committee president?! He's missing ALL the fun!  :lol

« Reply #101 on: April 10, 2024, 10:20:21 AM »

One Ring To Rule Them All
One Ring To Findom Them
One Ring To Bring Them All,
And In The Darknest BIND Them

Welcome to the Forums!

Offline crystalstars17

« Reply #102 on: April 10, 2024, 10:27:54 AM »
James...as a Dwarf?!? 😲 No no no, ELF! Elf prince, no less. When I see footage of the I&W days with that mane of red hair, all I can think is "Maedros"..

ETA We really need a "Tolkien fans" OT thread..!

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #103 on: April 10, 2024, 10:31:32 AM »
HOW MANY TIMES

I am Astonished :lol never change TAC!!!
FTFY  ;)
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: April 10, 2024, 12:02:30 PM »