Author Topic: Star Trek: Thread Space 9  (Read 279435 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: Star Trek: Thread Space 9
« Reply #4795 on: January 13, 2024, 08:40:56 PM »
So the latest thing I’ve heard about a new ST movie is that it takes place decades before the 2009 movie.

Why?

"Why?" is the first question I would ask, too.  A prequel to the remake/reboot which is semi-canon I guess, since Leonard Nimoy's Spock is in it?  I don't even know.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #4796 on: January 14, 2024, 03:02:33 AM »
Doesn't fill me with any excitement yet but impossible to glean much from the announcement. I'm doubtful we'll actually see any movies at this point, tbh. They've put off a 4th Pine-Kirk movie so many times.

https://trekmovie.com/2024/01/10/breaking-paramount-reportedly-developing-second-star-trek-movie-in-parallel-with-star-trek-4/
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4797 on: January 14, 2024, 03:34:33 AM »
So the latest thing I’ve heard about a new ST movie is that it takes place decades before the 2009 movie.

Why?

Is it genuinely set in that time period, or another 'current crew' time travel adventure in the past?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4798 on: January 14, 2024, 10:38:42 AM »
I find it honestly kind of hard to care at this point. Partly because DocAct is probably right. Partly because these people genuinely don't seem capable of making good Star Trek, no matter where or when they set it.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4799 on: January 14, 2024, 10:43:32 AM »

Why?

Is it genuinely set in that time period, or another 'current crew' time travel adventure in the past?

No clue. They just said decades before the JJ film. I'm sure it'll be....something. If it exists.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #4800 on: January 16, 2024, 12:03:27 PM »
Just finished Patrick Stewart's autobiography. Good read. A little bummed about some of the things he shared about his family life, and his cheating on his spouse. And apparently, that still doesn't sit well with his children. But aside from that, an entertaining read about his life. I knew him from Next Gen before anything, so while I knew about his on-stage pedigree, I didn't know much about it, so it was nice to see how much time he spent on his theater career.

I was a little bummed he didn't spend more time discussing his Star Trek and X-Men experiences. Those felt rushed, like they were blips on the radar, when in fact, that is where he really has the most notoriety from. Still, a nice read.

Regarding Picard...I came away after the book, feeling like Picard was very much at the peak when he and Gene, and the studio execs were a bit at odds with each other on how the character should be portrayed. I mean, that push and pull between Stewart and Roddenberry really made the character. Roddenberry (and those taking over for him to an extent) was way one extreme, which didn't work, and then Stewart was the other extreme. The result was a balanced character.

If left to his own devices, after reading how Stewart would have handled things, and how he is handling things with Picard, I have to say I am not sure I would have enjoyed the character as much. Again, just my initial thoughts after reading the book. I'd have to go back and really review some episodes to show concrete examples.

Glad I read it. Not really looking forward to more Picard. I won't watch any new Picard stuff. Season 3 was indeed fan service. But it was fan service that this particular fan needed, after the movies failed to engage me. I'm content with leaving it there, but apparently 80-year-old Patrick Stewart plans to continue...

Oh, and I started reading the Autobiography of Benjamin Sisko. I had to put it down. It was my most anticipated book last year after hearing the author talk about it, and after reading several pages, I really felt like the author was slamming us over the head about the injustices done to people of color. I need to go back to it, and pick back up, but I put it down for that reason. One of the big things I loved about Sisko's character was the emphasis on his culture. I really appreciated the way Avery Brooks and the team behind Sisko made sure the character showcased his love of African art, and Cajun cooking and didn't shy away from things like that. But at least on first read, I felt every time I started to get in a groove with the book, I got hit upside the head with some sort of direct or subtle comment involving race. It was off-putting. Not because it was wrong, because it wasn't, but it took me out of the story each time it was brought back up.

Again, it has been a bit (since last fall) since I read any of it. So I need to go back and pick back up. But I was bummed at the time, because of how much I love DS9.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4801 on: January 20, 2024, 07:53:37 AM »
Skip the Ben Sisko book, I finished it last year and it was the most disappointing thing I've read the past year. I won't get into spoilers or anything like that but it jammed back full of fan service and a large chunk of the book is a DS9 character recap.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4802 on: January 22, 2024, 08:32:15 AM »
Skip the Ben Sisko book, I finished it last year and it was the most disappointing thing I've read the past year. I won't get into spoilers or anything like that but it jammed back full of fan service and a large chunk of the book is a DS9 character recap.

That's not cool. Ugh. Thanks. If you get a moment, DM me the spoilers. Interested to know what the fan service is.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4803 on: January 22, 2024, 08:46:25 AM »

Why?
A remake of City on the Edge of Forever. These people seem hellbent to shit all over people's favourites, so why not this one?

I watched it again the other night, and holly shit, what a great episode. As good as the franchise got. It occurs to me that it is something that could be redone, for one simple reason. When Kirk and Spock go through the portal he tells Scott that if they fail they'll each need to take a stab at it (happiness, at least, Captain). Since ST always takes the 6 main characters anywhere important, there's no reason why they couldn't have 3 teams going back in time to try and salvage the situation.

It could also create the situation Roddenberry originally envisioned for a new movie where Spock the sometimes pacifist would have to assassinate somebody for the sake of history.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4804 on: January 24, 2024, 06:57:32 AM »

That's not cool. Ugh. Thanks. If you get a moment, DM me the spoilers. Interested to know what the fan service is.

Sent!

Offline Adami

« Reply #4805 on: January 24, 2024, 07:07:48 AM »

Why?
A remake of City on the Edge of Forever. These people seem hellbent to shit all over people's favourites, so why not this one?

I watched it again the other night, and holly shit, what a great episode. As good as the franchise got. It occurs to me that it is something that could be redone, for one simple reason. When Kirk and Spock go through the portal he tells Scott that if they fail they'll each need to take a stab at it (happiness, at least, Captain). Since ST always takes the 6 main characters anywhere important, there's no reason why they couldn't have 3 teams going back in time to try and salvage the situation.

It could also create the situation Roddenberry originally envisioned for a new movie where Spock the sometimes pacifist would have to assassinate somebody for the sake of history.

Hm? You kind of lost me here. Did I miss a new story?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4806 on: January 24, 2024, 08:12:47 AM »

Why?

You asked why the new movie would take place decades before the first. I suggested that maybe they have to go back in time to kill Edith Keeler.
E.F. Benson

Offline Adami

« Reply #4807 on: January 24, 2024, 08:17:22 AM »

Why?

You asked why the new movie would take place decades before the first. I suggested that maybe they have to go back in time to kill Edith Keeler.

Ohhh. Gotcha. I guess that would technically be decades.

I think a movie about Zefram Cochrane before he invents warp would be fun. Just a middle aged dude drinking a lot and dreaming about banging girls in bikinis.

But I guess there wouldn't be enough explosions, running, fighting and such to qualify as Trek these days.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2024, 08:35:31 AM by Adami »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4808 on: January 24, 2024, 08:42:41 AM »
Please God no more prequels.

Also, please God no more Kelvin-verse, but that's a separate request.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Adami

« Reply #4809 on: January 24, 2024, 08:44:15 AM »
Wouldn't decades before ST 2009 just be prime timeline? And would it just be Star Trek Enterprise?

I'd be fine with an Enterprise movie. They can fight zombie Trip or something.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4810 on: January 24, 2024, 11:07:27 AM »
Please God no more Enterprise
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4811 on: January 24, 2024, 04:36:40 PM »
There is actual evidence that in fact all of Enterprise was a holosuit program created by Riker (rather than just the finale).

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4812 on: January 24, 2024, 05:57:03 PM »
There is actual evidence that in fact all of Enterprise was a holosuit program created by Riker (rather than just the finale).
Is it better than all of DS9 being a part of Bennie's hallucination?
E.F. Benson

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4813 on: January 25, 2024, 02:26:54 AM »

Yeah.  90% of holosuit episodes are trash and 90% of Enterprise episodes are trash.   Math don't lie  ;D

Offline Adami

« Reply #4814 on: January 25, 2024, 07:00:49 AM »

Yeah.  90% of holosuit episodes are trash and 90% of Enterprise episodes are trash.   Math don't lie  ;D

Don't make me come back there!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4815 on: January 25, 2024, 07:55:54 AM »

Which part is inaccurate?

Offline Adami

« Reply #4816 on: January 25, 2024, 07:57:39 AM »
Enterprise was fine. Sometimes great, sometimes not. But it was hardly trash and definitely not 90% of it.

And while I don't have the energy to go back and look at what actually happened in most of the holodeck episodes, I can't imagine they were all that bad. But my tastes may be different.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4817 on: January 25, 2024, 08:06:50 AM »
I'll take your word for it.  I never liked the concept for Enterprise, so I never watched it.

Offline Adami

« Reply #4818 on: January 25, 2024, 08:08:51 AM »
I'll take your word for it.  I never liked the concept for Enterprise, so I never watched it.

That's cool. Definitely not for everyone and definitely the least good of the five main Treks. But I still enjoyed it even if few others did.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4819 on: January 25, 2024, 08:09:30 AM »

That's cool. Definitely not for everyone and definitely the least good of the five main Treks. But I still enjoyed it even if few others did.
I rejoice for you in your enjoyment.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4820 on: January 25, 2024, 08:29:42 AM »

Which part is inaccurate?

90% of Enterprise episodes being trash is too low ?

However I don't think Enterprise was all a holosuit program as Holosuit characters are programmed/designed to be interesting and be able to act in a realistic manner  ;D

Offline Adami

« Reply #4821 on: January 25, 2024, 08:43:39 AM »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4822 on: January 25, 2024, 09:06:33 AM »
To be completely fair to Enterprise it did follow the formula of the other 80's/90's Treks of being generally a bit weak in the first two seasons, then finding their footing a bit after that, only difference is there wasn't as much 'after that' with Enterprise as the other shows.  I do think Enterprise did suffer from having the most forgettable crew though.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4823 on: January 25, 2024, 09:58:50 AM »
Having watched all of TNG, DS9, and even Voyager, I figured I'd give Enterprise a try.  I don't remember now if it was the very first episode, or if I'd missed it and caught another early episode, but I remember it having a horrible theme song, and that they'd decided to go with a "hot Vulcan babe".  The first scene I saw was some kind of excuse to have them strip to their underwear and take a cosmic shower, co-ed.  I mean, yeah she was cute, but if "new Trek" had stooped to this level of fanboyservice, then I was out.

Offline Adami

« Reply #4824 on: January 25, 2024, 10:02:12 AM »
Having watched all of TNG, DS9, and even Voyager, I figured I'd give Enterprise a try.  I don't remember now if it was the very first episode, or if I'd missed it and caught another early episode, but I remember it having a horrible theme song, and that they'd decided to go with a "hot Vulcan babe".  The first scene I saw was some kind of excuse to have them strip to their underwear and take a cosmic shower, co-ed.  I mean, yeah she was cute, but if "new Trek" had stooped to this level of fanboyservice, then I was out.

A fair point.

I'm trying to be less sarcastic these days, so I'll just directly state that ToS, TNG, DS9, and Voyager (though less as it went on) had PLENTY of excused for hot ladies to wear as little as the networks will allow them to.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4825 on: January 25, 2024, 10:16:33 AM »
I think the theme song is one of the reasons the show failed so hard. That was just a bad idea. As for having T'pol (and occasionally Hoshi  :tup) running around with little on, there's no reason that can't be part of an otherwise good episode. The problem is only if you rely on that at the expense of everything else, and I don't think they ever did that. Vulcan titties were a side, not an entree, and ENT was hardly the first ST series to offer that up.
E.F. Benson

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4826 on: January 25, 2024, 10:22:14 AM »
TOS famously had alien babe-of-the-week guest stars in space bikinis and togas and stuff, and the TNG-era shows did as well, but it was generally the guest stars.  Here we had two main cast members gooping each other up in their underwear.  I'm pretty sure Troi and Riker didn't have a scene like that.  Although now that I think of it, we did have that horrible scene with Beverly and Deanna doing aerobics in the hallway in leotards.

I don't know if it makes me a prude or something else, but I guess I prefer my cheap thrills to be more organic.  Someone who cuts a great profile in a regulation uniform, a lingering shot as she walks away from the camera, that kind of thing.  Putting main cast members in skimpy clothes and having them rub goop all over each other is taking it a step or two further than that.

Voyager got some flack about Kes and Seven in the skin-tight outfits, but Jeri Ryan said that she honestly didn't get it.  She showed no skin other than her face and hands, and she can't help it if she's in good physical shape.

Anyway, I'm just saying that it seemed to go a bit further than I would've thought.  Maybe not.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4827 on: January 25, 2024, 10:38:49 AM »
Part of this opinion has to be simply me getting older, and being way more nitpicky, but I just feel the quality of all Star Trek stuff has plummeted since DS9. I know Voyager has its fans, and Voyager was okay, but I always felt like it was (forgive me, those of you who are hardcore Voyager fanatics) just done to give more of a reboot to the whole "five-year mission" of the TOS. I felt Next Generation made sense, particularly as it got into its middle seasons, and DS9 was a unique perspective. But after that, it just flopped for me, including the feature films. I watched Voyager, Enterprise, and tried watching most of the rest (I did watch Picard Season 3 in-full and enjoyed the fan service), but it just doesn't feel as legit. Didn't connect.

It just feels forced. Even the stuff with good conceptual ideas (Lower Decks) isn't really at the quality level or connects as impactful as TOS, TNG and DS9.

I know it's just one simple opinion, and I don't mean to offend. I just wish it was different (for me) so I could really love Star Trek again. I thought Picard Season 3 was great closure for TNG. But seriously, I'm not at all interested in Seven and Raffi and continuing adventures of them. Nor do I care to see what old man Picard does.

I wish someone on their team was able to come up with something in the Star Trek universe that truly felt (to me) to be very novel and interesting.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4828 on: January 25, 2024, 11:41:48 AM »
Part of this opinion has to be simply me getting older, and being way more nitpicky, but I just feel the quality of all Star Trek stuff has plummeted since DS9. I know Voyager has its fans, and Voyager was okay, but I always felt like it was (forgive me, those of you who are hardcore Voyager fanatics) just done to give more of a reboot to the whole "five-year mission" of the TOS. I felt Next Generation made sense, particularly as it got into its middle seasons, and DS9 was a unique perspective. But after that, it just flopped for me, including the feature films. I watched Voyager, Enterprise, and tried watching most of the rest (I did watch Picard Season 3 in-full and enjoyed the fan service), but it just doesn't feel as legit. Didn't connect.

It just feels forced. Even the stuff with good conceptual ideas (Lower Decks) isn't really at the quality level or connects as impactful as TOS, TNG and DS9.

I know it's just one simple opinion, and I don't mean to offend. I just wish it was different (for me) so I could really love Star Trek again. I thought Picard Season 3 was great closure for TNG. But seriously, I'm not at all interested in Seven and Raffi and continuing adventures of them. Nor do I care to see what old man Picard does.

I wish someone on their team was able to come up with something in the Star Trek universe that truly felt (to me) to be very novel and interesting.

I felt this way until we got to Strange New Worlds.  (I like LD a bit, but I consider it an outlier, and understand that it’s not going to be everyone’s thing) Sorry if others feel differently, but I think that show is starting out fantastic. Seasons 1&2 are actually better than seasons 1&2 of TNG. Possibly almost on the level of TNG 3.  Just a top to bottom fantastic ST show.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4829 on: January 25, 2024, 12:17:49 PM »
I really like Strange New Worlds as well.  The balance it strikes between adventure, fun, "soft" sci-fi, and some decent acting and writing is to me very similar to TOS, and that's a good thing.  Plus, it's all these things and updated to modern Trek.  There are a few less-than-stellar things IMO, such as the new Gorn, but I just pretend it's a new species, or some subspecies we didn't encounter before in "Arena".

I was also pretty bummed about how Hemmer was killed off, but apparently the actor (Bruce Horak) only wanted to commit to one season, and that's what he did.