Author Topic: Star Trek: Thread Space 9  (Read 279435 times)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: Star Trek: Thread Space 9
« Reply #4620 on: June 13, 2023, 10:30:40 AM »
I’m completely in the minority, but Insurrection is absolutely my favorite TNG movie.

Most people hate it for the same reason I love it. It feels like a really fantastic two-part TV episode that was made into a film.
It might be my favourite, too, but only because it's the one that least annoys me. FC is certainly the better movie, but it's the one that most made a mockery out of Picard. Generations might be the most down to earth of them, but I just found it mostly boring, and occasionally dumb. I didn't care for the bad guys in Insurrection, and the premise wasn't great, but they dialed back the Ramboism quite a bit, so at least it felt like TNG.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #4621 on: June 13, 2023, 03:54:43 PM »
I like Insurrection too.

Generations is probably my favourite, tho.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #4622 on: June 14, 2023, 04:07:17 PM »
Rewatched the SNW S1 finale just now to remind me of it before S2 starts tomorrow. Apart from that rather baffling Jim Kirk casting (him not being the focus of the show makes it easy for me to see past), really good stuff. V much looking forward to season 2.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2023, 04:30:21 PM by DoctorAction »

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4623 on: June 15, 2023, 02:09:31 AM »
Rewatched the SNW S1 finale just now to remind me of it before S2 starts tomorrow. Apart from that rather baffling Jim Kirk casting (him not being the focus of the show makes it easy for me to see past), really good stuff. V much looking forward to season 2.

Starts tonight?  cool!

Yeah his Kirk felt off, maybe he'll grow on us.  Also felt really odd and bad to kill of Hemmer, who had the potential to be a good character....and I don't like the Doctor, a combination of the character and the low energy acting.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #4624 on: June 15, 2023, 09:29:41 AM »
I'd forgotten about Hemmer. That was a shame.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #4625 on: June 15, 2023, 06:43:30 PM »
Cool enough first episode of S2 for SNW. Not sure why Pike took a backseat in the first episode but I’m assuming next episode will be centered around him.

And a side beef is that I sure hope they’re not going to insist on making the mistake that Discovery did with the over the top agenda. Multiple instances in this episode of those little choices……maybe not as in the face as Discovery (yet). I’m not wholly against it but when that becomes the main point of your show like it did on Discovery it ruins the show. Not every set of parents has to be same sex…….not every side character has to be an effeminate man……and so on.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4626 on: June 15, 2023, 09:13:41 PM »
Carol Kane is STILL smoking hot and I will not ever apologize for thinking so.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #4627 on: June 15, 2023, 09:27:27 PM »
Her character was excellent.  I guess she's gonna be the new engineer?

Good enough first episode.  I hope the whole season isn't a continual storyline, and we actually get some individual episodes, the way Star Trek is best told.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4628 on: June 16, 2023, 10:13:59 AM »
Meh first episode.

Liked parts of it, but tuned out once it became a dark gritty conspiracy show.

Does Star Trek realize it can be other things these days?

I guess they were bound to rip off another ST movie after ripping off Khan for so many years, and UC was a logical step, but it was a bit too blunt.

Hopefully the rest of the episode is better.

Also Gary, not sure if I just missed what you're talking about. What agenda? The main love interest (which is dumb as hell) is still a straight guy and a girl.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4629 on: June 16, 2023, 12:44:08 PM »
Also Gary, not sure if I just missed what you're talking about.

That little girls parents were both women......the one scene shot of the Enterprise transport tech. was a very effeminate looking and sounding man. Like I said, I don't really care all that much and should probably do some work on my end to just get used to it. But after watching Discovery go of the deep end I'd prefer to see SNW stick to the story and not wind up focused on pimping an agenda.

Offline Adami

« Reply #4630 on: June 16, 2023, 12:45:16 PM »

That little girls parents were both women......the one scene shot of the Enterprise transport tech. was a very effeminate looking and sounding man. Like I said, I don't really care all that much and should probably do some work on my end to just get used to it. But after watching Discovery go of the deep end I'd prefer to see SNW stick to the story and not wind up focused on pimping an agenda.

I mean. Sure. I agree that Discovery went off the rails a bit. But your examples were barely on screen and not brought any attention to.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4631 on: June 16, 2023, 01:09:36 PM »

I mean. Sure. I agree that Discovery went off the rails a bit. But your examples were barely on screen and not brought any attention to.

I know they were discrete which is why I said:

Multiple instances in this episode of those little choices……maybe not as in the face as Discovery (yet).

Discovery didn't start off that way either. My comment was stating I hope that SNW isn't now going to sacrifice story to make a political and social point. Paramount ruined one new Star Trek show in doing that. SNW is promising and I was just throwing my two cents towards hoping that they stick to telling ST stories.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4632 on: June 16, 2023, 02:17:15 PM »
In the 60's the movement was women's rights, and sexual liberation and anti war.  So that was some of the naritive in the original show.

Today's movements are about equality for race & sexual orientation/gender. So today's Star Trek is leaning that way today. It's not so shocking when you think about it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Adami

« Reply #4633 on: June 16, 2023, 02:43:11 PM »
In the 60's the movement was women's rights, and sexual liberation and anti war.  So that was some of the naritive in the original show.

Today's movements are about equality for race & sexual orientation/gender. So today's Star Trek is leaning that way today. It's not so shocking when you think about it.

Completely right. Star Trek was always about further social union and causes. But they never said “HEY LOOK WE HAVE A BLACK LADY ON THE BRIDGE” she was just there and people didn’t have an issue in the show. Discovery announces their stuff way too loudly but Strange New Worlds, for the most part, did it the Star Trek way. Just have the stuff there and no one thinks it’s odd or out of the ordinary. Two same sex parents? Just another day. Etc.

But having same sex couples, or trans or gay characters, is no different than Sulu or Checkov or Uhura being on the bridge.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #4634 on: June 16, 2023, 02:58:29 PM »

Yeah, I mean ... I didn't even notice either example.  And I read Gary's message all wtf is he talking about.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4635 on: June 16, 2023, 09:14:11 PM »
I just watched it, and I knew what he was talking about, and agree that it wasn't too much... yet?  As others have said, just present it, put it out there, it's normal.  Discovery called attention to it, and that's not the way.  If Strange New Worlds continues to do it the way they did this episode, no fanfare, we'll be fine.  We shall see.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #4636 on: June 17, 2023, 03:44:27 PM »
Pretty good. Enjoyable performances all round.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4637 on: June 19, 2023, 02:47:39 AM »
Meh first episode.

I guess they were bound to rip off another ST movie after ripping off Khan for so many years, and UC was a logical step, but it was a bit too blunt.

Yeah I agree with this.  I liked the build up enough but once the medical team started beating up Klingon warriors with their bare hands I kind off checked out.  Also the new engineer....ouch (Lwaxana vibes) that's going to be a hard sell, her voice alone bugged the hell out of me.

the one scene shot of the Enterprise transport tech. was a very effeminate looking and sounding man.

He looked like he was a kid, I thought was he was probably on work experience  ;D
« Last Edit: June 19, 2023, 03:52:23 AM by soupytwist »

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4638 on: June 19, 2023, 09:51:12 AM »
Meh first episode.

Yeah I agree with this.  I liked the build up enough but once the medical team started beating up Klingon warriors with their bare hands I kind off checked out.  Also the new engineer....ouch (Lwaxana vibes) that's going to be a hard sell, her voice alone bugged the hell out of me.

That part bugged me too, but not for the same reasons. 

It does seem reasonable to me that during the Klingon War, everyone was trained to fight.  And from the beginning, our new doctor has given off the vibe of a dark past.  But what bugged me was the performance enhancement drug angle. Which is literally a 100% rip off from season 2 of Jessica Jones. That irritated the crap out of me and took me out of that moment.

I also really hope that season two doesn’t continue down this dark and gritty angle. One of the reasons that myself and so many people I know found season one so refreshing was that it was a little bit more lighthearted and episodic. It felt more like an updated version of TOS. If they just turn it into another new, dark and gritty Star Trek, then no one‘s gonna care anymore.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4639 on: June 19, 2023, 09:58:02 AM »
I just watched it, and I knew what he was talking about, and agree that it wasn't too much... yet?  As others have said, just present it, put it out there, it's normal.  Discovery called attention to it, and that's not the way.  If Strange New Worlds continues to do it the way they did this episode, no fanfare, we'll be fine.  We shall see.
Quoting Orbert, but I'd like to hear from others.

Since I never watched any of it, I'm curious. Were they just doing plots that centered around queer folk, or were they being preachy about it? I'm thinking about Orville, and while the whole Bortus angle was a little unsettling, I never felt like they were trying to convert me. They might have spent too much time on it, but that was really just not aligning with my interests. I wouldn't have called it an agenda. And if they're just doing episodes centered around these people, like Bortus, I might not have been interested, but I can't really complain that they're trying to appeal to others who might like that sort of thing.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Adami

« Reply #4640 on: June 19, 2023, 10:01:24 AM »
Quoting Orbert, but I'd like to hear from others.

Since I never watched any of it, I'm curious. Were they just doing plots that centered around queer folk, or were they being preachy about it? I'm thinking about Orville, and while the whole Bortus angle was a little unsettling, I never felt like they were trying to convert me. They might have spent too much time on it, but that was really just not aligning with my interests. I wouldn't have called it an agenda. And if they're just doing episodes centered around these people, like Bortus, I might not have been interested, but I can't really complain that they're trying to appeal to others who might like that sort of thing.

I am as big of an ally as I can think of, but yes. Discovery was over the top about it. So much so that it even stopped making sense. When, in the year 3000 something, you're having episodes about a non-binary person being too scared to come out and having whole scenes of the gay doctor telling them that they are beautiful and everyone should accept everyone, it takes you out of it. Star Trek really assumes we will not have evolved at all regarding this in a thousand years?!

And then of course they made Stacey Abrams president of Earth.

Keep in mind they once made the literal Prince (and now King) of Jordan into an ensign with no lines.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4641 on: June 19, 2023, 10:25:51 AM »
All of that, so I really have nothing to add except that I agree.

It does seem reasonable to me that during the Klingon War, everyone was trained to fight.  And from the beginning, our new doctor has given off the vibe of a dark past.  But what bugged me was the performance enhancement drug angle. Which is literally a 100% rip off from season 2 of Jessica Jones. That irritated the crap out of me and took me out of that moment.

Jessica Jones was like 6 or 7 years ago, so I'd say the "super-drug" thing has been done a few times and maybe cite JJ as an example.  I saw it as relying on a cliché, which is also irritating, but not on the same level as a rip off.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #4642 on: June 19, 2023, 01:53:40 PM »
I didn't dig the fight scene.

I too hope they get back to the lighter vibe and am pretty optimistic that they will.

Offline Adami

« Reply #4643 on: June 21, 2023, 05:39:29 PM »
Nearing the end of the 2nd season of Lower Decks.

Not sure if the writing is getting a little better, or if I'm just becoming numb to the assault. I'm leaning toward the latter.

I really should have watched this before Picard. I'd have become completely numb to the nostalgia. This show is basically Star Trek: References.

It's not even nostalgia in this show. It's just an endless stream of references that serve no purpose.

The worst part isn't the meh writing, the annoying characters, the terrible energy, or the fact that 95% of any episode is them referencing other Star Trek shows.

It's the fact that story wise, and structure wise, this is the closest thing to what I consider real Trek out there. It annoys me.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4644 on: June 21, 2023, 08:16:53 PM »
Wow, that makes me both want to give it another try, and avoid it completely.  But I'll never be able to do the latter, so...

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4645 on: June 22, 2023, 03:00:41 AM »

If you think the member berries are to much in Picard you'll really struggle with LD.

I really should have watched this before Picard. I'd have become completely numb to the nostalgia. This show is basically Star Trek: References.

It's not even nostalgia in this show. It's just an endless stream of references that serve no purpose.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4646 on: June 22, 2023, 10:19:59 AM »
Nearing the end of the 2nd season of Lower Decks.

Not sure if the writing is getting a little better, or if I'm just becoming numb to the assault. I'm leaning toward the latter.

The worst part isn't the meh writing, the annoying characters, the terrible energy, or the fact that 95% of any episode is them referencing other Star Trek shows.

It's the fact that story wise, and structure wise, this is the closest thing to what I consider real Trek out there. It annoys me.
OK, I will continue to avoid it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Adami

« Reply #4647 on: June 22, 2023, 10:31:23 AM »

If you think the member berries are to much in Picard you'll really struggle with LD.

Good lord, were you right.

I'm on the first episode of season 3 and it's just so damn many references.

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4648 on: June 22, 2023, 04:05:46 PM »

Good lord, were you right.

I'm on the first episode of season 3 and it's just so damn many references.

Hey I'm as surprised as you we agree on something Trek!

It's weird because often the references are placed as punchlines, but a reference isn't really a joke so a lot of the comedy just fall flat.   I've still got season 3 to watch, let me know if it gets any better!

Second episode of SNW was much better than the first, probably to early for spoilers?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2023, 04:19:18 PM by soupytwist »

Offline Adami

« Reply #4649 on: June 23, 2023, 07:48:26 AM »
It does get better. Not a ton. But it becomes a bit more bearable.

But again, maybe I’m just numb from the beating at this point.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4650 on: June 23, 2023, 08:41:38 AM »
Second episode was alright.....I don't mind a little courtroom drama every now and then and they did a good enough job tying all the rules and what not together to allow Una to return to duty.

Anson Mount has to be happy though......hasn't had to really do jack sh%t to earn a paycheck yet through two episodes.  :lol

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4651 on: June 23, 2023, 10:12:09 AM »
Second episode was alright.....I don't mind a little courtroom drama every now and then and they did a good enough job tying all the rules and what not together to allow Una to return to duty.

Anson Mount has to be happy though......hasn't had to really do jack sh%t to earn a paycheck yet through two episodes.  :lol

Anson Mount's wife had a baby shortly before filming, so they wrote around his availability.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #4652 on: June 23, 2023, 03:46:26 PM »
Enjoyed ep 2 a lot. Mount as Pike is so good. The whole crew feels present and fitting. Optimistic for the rest of the season right now.

Offline Adami

« Reply #4653 on: June 23, 2023, 03:56:51 PM »
Yea I dug episode 2 a lot more than 1.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4654 on: June 23, 2023, 10:38:58 PM »
Ditto.  Episode 2 was pretty good, especially after Episode 1 (which I kinda liked, apparently more than most), and now we can get on with things.