Author Topic: Star Trek: Thread Space 9  (Read 280470 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Star Trek: Thread Space 9
« Reply #3710 on: March 31, 2022, 04:43:26 AM »
Yeah, I may forego the rest of Picard.  I don't have enough time to watch bad TV.

I hadn't been keeping current on Picard, and just watched Ep2 last night.  After Ep1, I had some thoughts that there might be something decent going on (the Guinan scene notwithstanding, Ep1 was pretty decent).  Alas,  we're going to do the whole time travel to fix something bad that happened in the past *AND* it was Q doing that bad thing to create the bad future?  FFS, can no one come up with something original? Having read thru everyone's posts I've come to this same conclusion as Hef.

My disposable time is too limited and precious to invest it this way.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3711 on: March 31, 2022, 05:08:56 AM »
Yeah, I may forego the rest of Picard.  I don't have enough time to watch bad TV.

I hadn't been keeping current on Picard, and just watched Ep2 last night.  After Ep1, I had some thoughts that there might be something decent going on (the Guinan scene notwithstanding, Ep1 was pretty decent).  Alas,  we're going to do the whole time travel to fix something bad that happened in the past *AND* it was Q doing that bad thing to create the bad future?  FFS, can no one come up with something original? Having read thru everyone's posts I've come to this same conclusion as Hef.

My disposable time is too limited and precious to invest it this way.

Each of the 4 episodes so far have gotten worse - however episode 4 was a massive dropoff.......and the early reviews for episode 5 don't sound promising.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3712 on: March 31, 2022, 12:00:42 PM »
Against my better judgement, I watched Episode 5, and the fuckery (IMO) continues.

I think that's it for me.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3713 on: March 31, 2022, 12:03:59 PM »
Against my better judgement, I watched Episode 5, and the fuckery (IMO) continues.

I'm not watching it, but I looked up some IMBD reviews out of curiosity. There were only a few at the time but they focused on how, besides the slow pacing, it was absolutely brilliant. I am just not sure who is watching this and reviewing it on IMDB to consistently give it high marks. I guess Picard really does have an audience that loves it.

Edit: Guess I checked too early. Rating on IMDB has dropped from 9 to 7.4 or something over the last few hours.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2022, 01:13:26 PM by Adami »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3714 on: March 31, 2022, 03:37:34 PM »
Interesting, about the ratings.  Maybe because the folks who really like the show anyway watch it as soon as it drops, and it gets high ratings initially.  Then as more people check it out, the "real" ratings start to average in.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3715 on: April 01, 2022, 01:34:21 AM »

I'm not watching it, but I looked up some IMBD reviews out of curiosity. There were only a few at the time but they focused on how, besides the slow pacing, it was absolutely brilliant. I am just not sure who is watching this and reviewing it on IMDB to consistently give it high marks. I guess Picard really does have an audience that loves it.

Edit: Guess I checked too early. Rating on IMDB has dropped from 9 to 7.4 or something over the last few hours.

I'd review this episode as some stuff happened.  It was poor again, not to the levels of the awful previous episode, but poor. 
If you just want to read reviews and comments then I'd point you in the direction of this site...

https://www.jammersreviews.com/

Reviews everything Star Trek in a sensible way (not like some snarky youtuber) and then there is a good comments section for each episode.

Just looked at the writing credits for the latest writer - Macgiver (the recent one) and Desperate Housewifes and a bunch of sitcoms I've not really heard off....meh
« Last Edit: April 01, 2022, 02:33:43 AM by soupytwist »

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3716 on: April 02, 2022, 09:37:40 PM »
I'm three episodes into the amazing 10-episode season/series finale arc of Deep Space 9, and it's fucking great.  Pulling in strings and threads from previous seasons, all the way back to the very beginning, and everything they've built up in the meantime.  I'd heard bits and pieces about what happens with the various bad guys, Dukat, Kai Winn, Weyoun, even Damar, but how it comes together and unfolds is pretty great, building on so much groundwork that they've been steadily laying for seven years.  Damn.  Very nice work (so far).

Biggest shocker for me: Kai Winn's first name!  :omg:  I just went "Now wait just a damned minute..."  I had no idea.

Online Adami

« Reply #3717 on: April 03, 2022, 06:26:22 AM »
Biggest shocker for me: Kai Winn's first name!  :omg:  I just went "Now wait just a damned minute..."  I had no idea.

Yea. A bit unsettling for me.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3718 on: April 03, 2022, 06:59:13 AM »
So... coincidence?

Online Adami

« Reply #3719 on: April 03, 2022, 07:06:02 AM »
So... coincidence?

Yup! I was born almost a decade before DS9 even started. Only time I’ve heard my name on TV was for Winn. And hearing Dukat be like “I love you Adami” was just odd. Since I don’t have a normal name at all, it’s never a name I hear outside of referring directly to me.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3720 on: April 03, 2022, 07:58:56 AM »

"Now wait a minute, man... that's now how it is"
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3721 on: April 03, 2022, 10:34:40 AM »
One letter away from sharing a name with Commander Adama, but ends up sharing with Kai Winn.
Parenting fail!

Online Adami

« Reply #3722 on: April 03, 2022, 12:38:44 PM »
One letter away from sharing a name with Commander Adama, but ends up sharing with Kai Winn.
Parenting fail!

Oh god that’d be so annoying to have the name Adama. Some guy talking to me from Christian Science stuff thought Adama was Adami when I told him my name. He was not happy when I corrected him.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3723 on: April 03, 2022, 03:40:31 PM »
I don't keep up on DTFer's real names the way a lot of you do.  I seemed to recall that Adami was a real name and not just a screen name, but I wasn't sure.  And it still may or may not have had anything to do with a TV series that was on 20+ years ago.

But it was definitely weird hearing Dukat say it over and over like that.

Online Adami

« Reply #3724 on: April 03, 2022, 03:43:03 PM »
Yup. Definitely my real name and definitely not connected at all to Star Trek.

I’m near the end of season 2 of my rewatch of DS9 so I got some time still until I hear someone proclaim their love for me over and over.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Adami

« Reply #3725 on: April 05, 2022, 02:18:04 PM »
And apparently the entire TNG cast is returning to season 3 of Picard.

God dammit!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3726 on: April 05, 2022, 03:02:32 PM »

I am Worf! Son of Mogh!
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3727 on: April 05, 2022, 03:03:25 PM »
Now that's funny. Can't wait to see all you purists in pain watching next season. Lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3728 on: April 05, 2022, 03:11:45 PM »
Now that's funny. Can't wait to see all you purists in pain watching next season. Lol
Won't have to worry about me. I gave up on it ages ago.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Adami

« Reply #3729 on: April 05, 2022, 03:41:20 PM »
I'm not sure I'm a purist, other than wanting Star Trek to carry on the ideals/principles that it was known for. Simply having the same names of people and being (sometimes) in space doesn't make it Star Trek or else the only difference between Star Trek and Star Wars or Star Trek and BSG or Star Trek and (inset any modern dystopian sci fi here) is the names of things and people.

But I'm conflicted on this. Yes, I'm obviously a sucker who wants to see the original gang back together, but I also know the writers are going to be the same. It's not going to be a different show, it's going to be terrible writing but with people I like(d). It'd be like getting The Beatles or whatever band you loved that broke up, back together to perform a show written by Machine Gun Kelly. So I dunno. Just annoyed oddly.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3730 on: April 05, 2022, 04:13:25 PM »
Unfortunately,  those in power do not stick to Roddenberry's principles of the future.

There slogan is, "Make War, not Love."
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3731 on: April 05, 2022, 09:37:04 PM »
Is Discovery confirmed for another season?  Egads.  Well, since I stuck through the first four seasons, I might as well keep going.

In other news, I finished my run through Star Trek: Deep Space Nine today.  Wow!  I'm still impressed with all the details and bits of continuity they brought together at the end and leading up to it, and how so many of them had actual meaning and played a part in the final arc (which was freakin' huge!)  Quite amazing.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3732 on: April 06, 2022, 02:13:25 AM »
Unfortunately,  those in power do not stick to Roddenberry's principles of the future.

Sadly Roddenberry had lost the plot with TNG.  The first two seasons are him in power, it's no surprise it got better on season 3 when Berman, Pillar, Moore, Ira Stevens etc...took over.   Roddenberry even wanted Patrick Stewart to wear a wig (there is a picture online..).

As for the TNG cast returning - it's going to be difficult as the episodic reset nature of TNG episodes meant that the characters didn't really change for 7 seasons, they had the their traits and personalities that fitted the structures of that show.   New Trek being continuous stories events on episodes carry forward, so the characters have to change/evolve (not that they are doing a good job of this to be honest...).  I think a guest appearance for an episode or two is that best they can do - like Troi and Ryker in season one, that actually worked well allowed them to be as we remembered without the burden of them needed to be affected by the drama (and to be fair Troi had rarely been better).

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #3733 on: April 06, 2022, 05:22:03 AM »
@TNG crew returning..

On one hand, I'm glad that we getting to see the crew back together again and McFadden, Dorn and Burton getting one final paycheck from Star Trek.

On the other hand, I'm very skeptical with anything coming from the writers of "Picard". I doubt they find a way to incorporate them that is meaningful and makes sense.

And please, no Wesley! Picard is painful enough as it is. :lol

Online Adami

« Reply #3734 on: April 06, 2022, 07:01:45 AM »

Sadly Roddenberry had lost the plot with TNG.  The first two seasons are him in power, it's no surprise it got better on season 3 when Berman, Pillar, Moore, Ira Stevens etc...took over.   Roddenberry even wanted Patrick Stewart to wear a wig (there is a picture online..).

As for the TNG cast returning - it's going to be difficult as the episodic reset nature of TNG episodes meant that the characters didn't really change for 7 seasons, they had the their traits and personalities that fitted the structures of that show.   New Trek being continuous stories events on episodes carry forward, so the characters have to change/evolve (not that they are doing a good job of this to be honest...).  I think a guest appearance for an episode or two is that best they can do - like Troi and Ryker in season one, that actually worked well allowed them to be as we remembered without the burden of them needed to be affected by the drama (and to be fair Troi had rarely been better).

Eh, I doubt the issue is how they will adapt to arc long seasons. I can't say any of the Picard crew grew at all in season 1 except maybe Juan Solo and even that's stretching it. I also don't really think any of the crew of Discovery grew or changed much over 4 years. The writers just don't care a ton about character, they like mystery boxes, explosions, tension, action, drama, cliff hangers, etc. Characters don't matter much. So it wouldn't matter if it's Worf and Crusher or Dorf and Slusher, they'll likely be written equally terribly.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3735 on: April 06, 2022, 08:17:59 AM »
Personally.....I'd have preferred a series based around Riker rather than Picard. Picard is 'played out' and we all know and love that character. I think you'd have had more opportunity for an interesting story if they'd have focused on Riker or even Warf. It'd have been different and not been constrained by the lore of Picard.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online Adami

« Reply #3736 on: April 06, 2022, 08:21:35 AM »
Personally.....I'd have preferred a series based around Riker rather than Picard. Picard is 'played out' and we all know and love that character. I think you'd have had more opportunity for an interesting story if they'd have focused on Riker or even Warf. It'd have been different and not been constrained by the lore of Picard.

:lol

Don’t worry. This show doesn’t seem too concerned about the lore of Picard.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3737 on: April 08, 2022, 02:27:24 AM »
Picard was better this week, certainly the best episode since they arrived in the past. 

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3738 on: April 08, 2022, 07:41:55 AM »
Well, it worked.  I heard (here) about the entire TNG crew coming back.  I watched a YouTube video about it yesterday.  The cynic in me says that Paramount saw the numbers for Picard dropping, so they made the announcement about the TNG crew now, so that people who've stopped watching or were on the fence would have a reason to maybe stick with it, out of love for the show and crew that brought Star Trek back from the abyss.  It worked.  I stopped watching two episodes ago (three now) but I watched Episode 4.  It's still pretty silly.  "New Guinan" is pretty bad.  But there's less Q, which is good.

Fun fact: Episodes 3 and 4 were directed by Lea Thompson, probably best known as Lorraine McFly, Marty's mom.  Going back in time, trying to right past wrongs, etc.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3739 on: April 08, 2022, 08:39:40 AM »
Fun fact: Episodes 3 and 4 were directed by Lea Thompson, probably best known as Lorraine McFly, Marty's mom.  Going back in time, trying to right past wrongs, etc.

She also appears onscreen in Episode 5.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2022, 12:54:27 PM by ZirconBlue »

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3740 on: April 08, 2022, 12:09:51 PM »
Uh, thanks.  That would have been a cool surprise.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3741 on: April 08, 2022, 12:53:07 PM »
Uh, thanks.  That would have been a cool surprise.

Sorry about that.  I misread your post to mean you had caught back up with the series, and just assumed you hadn't noticed her appearance.  My apologies.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3742 on: April 08, 2022, 01:22:42 PM »
Don't worry about it.  I watched Episode 5 today while I ate lunch, had already forgotten about it, and didn't even recognize her.  Mrs. Orbert said "Hey, that's..." and then I remembered.  I probably would have eventually recognized her and remembered, but maybe not.  It was a pretty brief scene.

She's still a babe, though.  That's the important thing.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #3743 on: April 09, 2022, 08:08:29 AM »
I thought Spiner did some really good acting in that last episode.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3744 on: April 12, 2022, 06:58:39 AM »
I caved and watched the new Picard episode.

Sorry guys.

I think that when the team eventually jumps back to their correct time, Rios will elect to stay behind.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.