Author Topic: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread  (Read 550802 times)

Offline HOF

Re: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread
« Reply #6965 on: July 20, 2023, 09:23:21 PM »
I listened to one song off of Randy's new solo album with a vocalist I've never heard before. I didn't like his voice at all and I didn't make it even half way into the song.
I'll give the rest of the album a chance though since I'm a big fan of Randy George.

That’s the only one with vocals, and what bad luck that you landed on that one! I found everything else enjoyable to great.

Offline HOF

« Reply #6966 on: July 20, 2023, 09:36:13 PM »
It’s an interesting marketing strategy to price the CD and the download at the same price. Was thinking about downloading this only as I doubt it’s something I’ll go to a ton and I’m reaching the saturation point on CD storage, but I guess I’ll get the CD? Or maybe not.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #6967 on: July 20, 2023, 09:40:09 PM »
It’s an interesting marketing strategy to price the CD and the download at the same price. Was thinking about downloading this only as I doubt it’s something I’ll go to a ton and I’m reaching the saturation point on CD storage, but I guess I’ll get the CD? Or maybe not.

I ordered the CD on bandcamp and it included a digital download, so like, unless you really dislike physical media or have no need/space for it, go for the digital. Otherwise, the CD comes with the download for the same price.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #6968 on: July 24, 2023, 09:09:25 AM »
From Neal's Facebook:

The Dreamer - Joseph: Part One is here! It’s always a buzz to finally see the finished product, particularly with a big vinyl release where you get to see all the detail of the artwork!

Radiant pre-orders start dispatching from TODAY onwards, and I can’t wait for you to hear this!

We have about 40 copies of the exclusive Like A Wall Brick Orange vinyl left… and once they’re gone, they’re gone! https://nealmorse.com/product/neal-morse-the-dreamer-joseph-part-one/

Looks like anyone who ordered should be getting their shipping notifications soon.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline obro

« Reply #6969 on: August 05, 2023, 11:58:15 AM »
MF23 next week!!

Any hopes/wishes in the setlists??  :tup :heart

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #6970 on: August 05, 2023, 02:34:37 PM »
MF23 next week!!

Assuming they won't play any non-Testimony music during the main sets, there's probably about an hour of unique music for the encores between both nights. I'm hoping on Night 2, after Testimony 2, they bring back "Seeds Of Gold" and maybe finally play "Absolute Beginner" since they missed it last time. They'll probably do a medley for one of the encore nights, but I'd like to be surprised and see them do some complete classic Neal Morse songs that they haven't played in a while.

-Marc.

Offline HolidaysAnoraks

« Reply #6971 on: August 05, 2023, 03:53:22 PM »
I’m thinking we may get Time Has Come this year - Portnoy has said in the past that he has pushed for the song to be played at previous Morsefests and the song was originally on the table for the Danger / Saturday night show in ‘21 but they did Flow instead.
Time Has Come would also fit in thematically with the T2 night since the first disc has several references to older SB songs (ie, Time Has Come Today). There is already a ton of music for them to learn though, so who knows.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2023, 04:01:59 PM by HolidaysAnoraks »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6972 on: August 06, 2023, 01:10:09 PM »
MF23 next week!!

Supernatural.    It's one of my top three NMB songs, so... I know it's been played at a MF before, but a man can hope. 

Who else is going?   

Online Kram

« Reply #6973 on: August 06, 2023, 03:01:56 PM »
MF23 next week!!

Assuming they won't play any non-Testimony music during the main sets, there's probably about an hour of unique music for the encores between both nights. I'm hoping on Night 2, after Testimony 2, they bring back "Seeds Of Gold" and maybe finally play "Absolute Beginner" since they missed it last time. They'll probably do a medley for one of the encore nights, but I'd like to be surprised and see them do some complete classic Neal Morse songs that they haven't played in a while.

-Marc.
I think Seeds of Gold would be the perfect encore for T2 night.  Actually, they should do the entire second disc of T2 for the encore, as it's shorter than T1.  For the other night, maybe they'll do some sort of "Innocence and Danger Medley" like they did with Similitude and TGA.

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6974 on: August 07, 2023, 02:26:27 AM »
Neal mentioned in this IG post that they've rehearsed 6 hours of music and says they'll be playing some really old and some really new songs.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CvFL5wlM0uf/?img_index=1

I was also thinking that maybe Time Has Come would make the cut, or maybe On the Edge or The Healing Colors of Sound? Also maybe some of the Joseph songs?

What are your thoughts? Anyone going to the Europe one?  :D

Offline twanky

« Reply #6975 on: August 08, 2023, 01:23:33 AM »
Neal mentioned in this IG post that they've rehearsed 6 hours of music and says they'll be playing some really old and some really new songs.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CvFL5wlM0uf/?img_index=1

I was also thinking that maybe Time Has Come would make the cut, or maybe On the Edge or The Healing Colors of Sound? Also maybe some of the Joseph songs?

What are your thoughts? Anyone going to the Europe one?  :D

Yeah i will be in Zoetermeer. Always wanted to do a Morsefest, and thankfully i can this year, albeit not in Nashville
Remember, when you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It is only painful for others.
The same applies when you are stupid.

Offline Cocopjojo

• Astral Traveler
« Reply #6976 on: August 08, 2023, 07:51:46 AM »
Has anyone in the IC gotten their QR codes for the IC show yet? I "purchased" mine on the website a few days ago, but it still says processing.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #6977 on: August 08, 2023, 02:09:02 PM »
I listened to Children of the Chosen today. For some reason I just love that song so much.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #6978 on: August 08, 2023, 02:22:09 PM »
I listened to Children of the Chosen today. For some reason I just love that song so much.

Of the shorter songs off Lifeline, it's the best one IMO, tied with "Leviathan". Of course, the title track and "So Many Roads" are the best (at least to me). Heck, I prefer the bonus tracks ("Set The Kingdom", "Sometimes He Waits" and even "I'm A Heavy Metal Long-Haired Blue-Bearded Tattooed Jew") more than the other main album's shorter songs ("God's Love", "The Way Home" and "Fly High").

Lifeline will always be the odd duck for me as far as Neal's solo prog albums go. It's got great moments but also some duds, which felt unusual for me after a string of near-perfect releases. I wonder if the slightly-more-secular tone and lyrics of Momentum was a response to fans who didn't like the overtly religious aspect of Lifeline? Perhaps the over-all autobiographical nature of Testimony 2 between them helped him re-center his musical creativity and decided to focus his religious lyrics into his singer-songwriter music rather than putting it heavily into his prog out put (outside of the more narrative-based concept albums like he would do with NMB later on).

-Marc.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #6979 on: August 08, 2023, 03:08:55 PM »
I also adore Children of the chosen. It's my second favorite song on the album right behind So many roads. The entire album is growing on me as years go by. It's such a pleasant listen with a fine balance of prog, pop, rockers and ballads.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #6980 on: August 08, 2023, 03:22:10 PM »
I remember someone (I think in the band) calling So Many Roads "Too Many Roads" and it was hard to disagree.

Lifeline is an odd album. The title track is great except it just goes on and on. I agree Marc, it's very unusual after the albums that preceded it.

Online Kram

« Reply #6981 on: August 08, 2023, 05:05:07 PM »
I also adore Children of the chosen. It's my second favorite song on the album right behind So many roads. The entire album is growing on me as years go by. It's such a pleasant listen with a fine balance of prog, pop, rockers and ballads.
It's really grown on me over the years too and I find it a pleasant listen now as well.  But I'll agree with Letter M, it's still his weakest Prog album, highlighted by So Many Roads and the title track.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #6982 on: August 08, 2023, 07:02:25 PM »
Looking forward to Morsefest this weekend. I'm not really sure what to expect in terms of the additional music beyond Testimony/T2 each night. Pretty much all of I&D was played at Morsefest 2021, and Similitude/TGA have gotten a lot of live exposure between their respective tours and the medley. I'd love for them to do Alive Again because I haven't gotten to see it live, but I doubt that given it's already been featured twice at Morsefest.

Has anyone in the IC gotten their QR codes for the IC show yet? I "purchased" mine on the website a few days ago, but it still says processing.

My understanding is we won't get a separate email with tickets for the Inner Circle show, we just need to bring a printout of our order confirmation email from Radiant.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #6983 on: August 09, 2023, 04:35:03 AM »

I remember thinking that the opening and ending of that song seemed a bit odd and that the repeat of the chorus at the end was a bit awkward phrasing-wise until I read that it was simply excerpted from the original demo for So Many Roads. That also helped explain while at one point the lyrics "So Many Roads" came up twice in a row when in every other instance, that section functioned as a segue to the next part of the song. There was simply a section missing in-between them. Rather than re-write the transition, Neal opted to just have one segue lead into the next segue. Something that oddly didn't feel right to me from the very start, even without knowing the reason.

A couple of years ago I put the song in its original form back together and have been enjoying this long version ever since. Never understood why a mere "it's too long" was deemed a good enough reason to excerpt a full section from it. Oh well.
"Freedom in the 21st Century means being incommunicado."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6984 on: August 09, 2023, 08:43:09 AM »
Looking forward to Morsefest this weekend. I'm not really sure what to expect in terms of the additional music beyond Testimony/T2 each night. Pretty much all of I&D was played at Morsefest 2021, and Similitude/TGA have gotten a lot of live exposure between their respective tours and the medley. I'd love for them to do Alive Again because I haven't gotten to see it live, but I doubt that given it's already been featured twice at Morsefest.

I am too; this is my first time and I'm psyched.   I have VIP for Saturday (but I'm not doing the IC show; though I may rethink that today). 

I hope I get to see you. 

Offline DTA

« Reply #6985 on: August 09, 2023, 04:12:37 PM »
I know they're not his most popular, but is there any other reason why Neal never did Momentum or Lifeline in full at a Morsefest?

Online Kram

« Reply #6986 on: August 09, 2023, 05:01:54 PM »
I know they're not his most popular, but is there any other reason why Neal never did Momentum or Lifeline in full at a Morsefest?
Not that I'm aware of. I assume, that he assumes, those two albums wouldn't be a strong enough draw for a Moresefest.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #6987 on: August 09, 2023, 05:14:49 PM »

My best guess with regards to Momentum is that he already covered most of that album live with the proto-NMB (back when Adson was with them), so he probably didn't feel the need to play it all with them again. Doing the older prog solo albums at Morsefest was a way for the NMB to play those albums live.

As far as Lifeline, maybe he just didn't think the material as a whole would land well with the Morsefest  crowd given its mixed reception over the years, especially compared to how well-liked and loved the run of Testimony-One-?-Sola Scriptura is.

-Marc.

Offline 425

« Reply #6988 on: August 09, 2023, 05:44:20 PM »

I’ve assumed that it’s because they’re not concept albums. The other two non-concept albums from the widely accepted NM/NMB prog canon are Grand Experiment and Innocence & Danger. Most or all of both of those have been played, but (1) they were not played in album order and (2) they had the advantage of having come out after MF started.

Several songs from those albums have made MF appearances: Lifeline, The Way Home, So Many Roads, Momentum, Thoughts Part V, World Without End. And Leviathan has been played as part of a medley. I hope and expect we’ll see the remaining tracks continue to come out bit by bit, unless there’s one that NM and MP really don’t like. I’d really like to see Smoke and Mirrors, Weathering Sky or Freak, my favorite unplayed-at-Morsefest ones from those two.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Mladen

« Reply #6989 on: August 10, 2023, 02:19:09 AM »
Not that I'm aware of. I assume, that he assumes, those two albums wouldn't be a strong enough draw for a Moresefest.
As much as I like those albums, especially Momentum, I think this is correct.

Offline Cocopjojo

• Astral Traveler
« Reply #6990 on: August 10, 2023, 09:06:10 AM »

My understanding is we won't get a separate email with tickets for the Inner Circle show, we just need to bring a printout of our order confirmation email from Radiant.
Thanks.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #6991 on: August 10, 2023, 09:11:42 PM »

I am too; this is my first time and I'm psyched.   I have VIP for Saturday (but I'm not doing the IC show; though I may rethink that today). 

I hope I get to see you. 

Yeah, let's touch base closer to the show tomorrow.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Willthescout7

« Reply #6992 on: August 11, 2023, 05:45:59 AM »
Excited for Morsefest tonight. By a quirk of fate I was able to secure a ticket on Wednesday for both Nights and the Inner Circle show. Finally can cross this off my bucketlist

Offline DTA

« Reply #6993 on: August 11, 2023, 08:58:47 AM »

Gotcha. I figured at this point, Neal could get away with anything at MF and his fans will go, so I'm just surprised those have been overlooked. Hopefully, they do the unplayed songs at some point so there's at least live versions of each song available somewhere. I love Children of the Chosen and think it's one of his best shorter songs, along with Freak.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #6994 on: August 11, 2023, 02:29:02 PM »
No comments on the new album yet? I'm currently on vacation with my wife, but hopefully I'll be able to listen later today. Also, happy Morsefest day for those attending :tup
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #6995 on: August 11, 2023, 02:46:16 PM »
No comments on the new album yet? I'm currently on vacation with my wife, but hopefully I'll be able to listen later today. Also, happy Morsefest day for those attending :tup

I've had it in my possession for well over a week but haven't had the time or energy to open it and give it a spin.

-Marc.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • sloth.jpg
« Reply #6996 on: August 11, 2023, 03:18:18 PM »
Completely forgot there was a new album, and my interest is pretty much nonexistent.

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #6997 on: August 11, 2023, 04:57:32 PM »
New album was pretty good, although I'm not really "raving" about it either.  Probably about on par with Sola Gratia.  Definitely need more listens.  Didn't sound as "musical-ly" as I thought it would, which is good.  Comparing it to Sola Gratia, I thought that one had higher highs "The Glory Of the Lord" but lower lows (most of the rest of the album).  This one definitely better than the "meh" stuff on Gratia, but didn't really have any standout tracks (at least upon first listen).  But like I said I need more listens.  Overall enjoyable still as "bad" Neal Morse is still good music.  Every NMB album miles better than the new one.

Offline Willthescout7

« Reply #6998 on: August 12, 2023, 07:27:16 AM »
The new album is good, but it takes awhile for it to really get going. By the time I felt it was really hitting, I was halfway through. Needs more listens though.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6999 on: August 12, 2023, 07:42:12 AM »
Has anyone done the streaming ticket? I saw that it's offered and you have a week to watch it.