Author Topic: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread  (Read 550707 times)

Offline The Letter M

Re: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread
« Reply #6195 on: October 16, 2021, 12:02:22 AM »
So I just realized after performing "Revelation" at Morsefest 2021, Neal has played every song from V at a Morsefest!

"At The End Of The Day" at Morsefest 2015 w/NDV
"Revelation" at Morsefest 2021 w/NMB
"Thoughts Part 2" at Morsefest 2020 w/NMB
"All On A Sunday" at Morsefest 2019 IC Concert
"Goodbye To Yesterday" at Morsefest 2018 w/Voices Of The Beard
"The Great Nothing" at Morsefest 2018 w/NDV (before JCTE)

So I guess technically, he's played all of Snow and V at Morsefest!

As for other SB songs, "Flow" joins "Strange World" and "June" from The Kindness Of Strangers material performed at Morsefest. "The Distance To The Sun" returns (previously performed at Morsefest 2014 and 2018), along with "Day For Night", "Lay It Down" and "The Healing Colors Of Sound Pt. 2" having all been previously performed at Morsefest as well.

As for songs from Beware Of Darkness, only "Thoughts", "The Doorway" and "Waste Away" have been played at Morsefest, and from SB's debut, just "The Light" and "Go The Way You Go" (and I'm sure he'll never play all of "The Water" ever again for many reasons).

Looking back at all of that, I'm honestly surprised at how much Spock's Beard music he has revisited at Morsefest over the last 8 years. I don't expect him to pull any SB out for Morsefest 2022, and who knows if there will be a Morsefest 2023. If there is, it would be great to see him pull out "Time Has Come" or the entirety of "The Healing Colors Of Sound", and maybe something shorter like "Gibberish" or "On The Edge".

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline DTA

« Reply #6196 on: October 16, 2021, 06:23:16 AM »
I think the Spock's catalog is probably where Neal will look to for future Morsefests. His whole solo catalog aside from some of Lifeline/Momentum has been represented and there's always going to be a need for rarities to make it feel like a unique event. I also think Morsefest is the main reason why he's been so productive, so he has something new to present there to justify having the event. And I wouldn't be surprised to see The Water make an appearance, either with some alterations or maybe even MP taking over vocals for the FU section.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6197 on: October 16, 2021, 06:40:17 AM »
I honestly think that next year's Morsefest will be the last one.  With him having covered most of his essential material and the church up for sale, ending the Morsefest journey with Transatlantic next year seems like a safe bet.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #6198 on: October 16, 2021, 09:14:44 AM »
I'm not so sure (at least on the musical front). If he goes back to the normal late summer/early fall timeframe for Morsefest 2023, that would be almost two years from now and almost 18 months from Morsefest 2022. That's *a lot* of time for someone as prolific as him to release new music that he might want to play at a future Morsefest. If he had a new solo album for MF 2023, there'd hopefully be another NMB album for 2024. He only really needs one night's worth of new original material to carry a Morsefest, he can always flesh it out with covers/old rarities, etc...
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • sloth.jpg
« Reply #6199 on: October 16, 2021, 10:09:34 AM »
I think they would have announced by now if 22 will be the last Morsefest. In his original statement about selling the church, Neal said:

It remains to be seen how many more years we will be able to do Morsefest at New Life Fellowship

Doesn't sound to me like they intend to stop Morsefest just because the church might get sold. Maybe part of the reason MF22 is happening only half a year after 21 is to get it out of the way early in case a sale does happen later in the year.

If MF23 does happen, they have plenty of time to figure out another place to host it. Might not happen until late 2023 but I think it could still happen. As for what Neal could play then, who knows? As much as he writes and records he could easily have another solo album or even an NMB album out by then.

In a Q&A on one of the Blu-Rays(Maybe 2019, I forget), MP mentioned doing Similitude and TGA together at a future Morsefest. He could have been joking, but I don't think repeating albums they've already done is out of the question. They could even do Testimony 1 and 2 together.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #6200 on: October 16, 2021, 10:32:59 AM »
In a Q&A on one of the Blu-Rays(Maybe 2019, I forget), MP mentioned doing Similitude and TGA together at a future Morsefest. He could have been joking, but I don't think repeating albums they've already done is out of the question. They could even do Testimony 1 and 2 together.

That could be interesting, doing his two pairs of concept albums over two nights. It would definitely be a retread, even at Morsefest, but I think if there's enough fans who want to see those albums performed live again (one last time), he may do it. He could even poll fans as to which pair of albums they'd like to see performed live!

If he does a third Sola album, he could play all three over the course of two nights, and fill in the gaps with other solo stuff. Or MF23 could just very well be a brand new solo/NMB/FC album. I wouldn't mind seeing one more purely Spock's Beard Morsefest, playing a ton of songs he hasn't played yet at Morsefest.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Kram

« Reply #6201 on: October 16, 2021, 11:56:49 AM »
I don't think Morsefest 22 will be the last either.  I'm sure they're already looking for a possible alternative venue.  And I fully expect to have a new NMB album out by 2023 (these guys are on a roll and I think they know it)!  I would love to see some early Spocks though, like The Light and Beware of Darkness. And yes, MP singing the FU part of The Water would be perfect.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6202 on: October 17, 2021, 07:32:38 AM »
I think they would have announced by now if 22 will be the last Morsefest. 

I doubt he knows for sure already that '22 will be the last, but I think he has to know that using the same venue may not be possible going forward, and doing it just about anywhere else will take away from it feeling like Morsefest.  Doing a couple of shows at a normal concert venue and calling it Morsefest just isn't the same, and finding another church near his home (one he is comfortable with) or whatever that is willing to let him do his thing may not be so easy.  We had talked it before, how Alive Again and World Without End were the two long epics from his solo/NMB career that had yet to be played at a Morsefest, and it wouldn't surprise me if they decided to play both knowing that this could be the last year NMB does a Morsefest (since TA is doing next year's), meaning they didn't want to risk saving either for a future Morsefest that they know now may never happen.  They wanted to check the boxes on getting both played at a Morsefest instead of saving one and then having that "dang, there won't be another Morsefest and we never played Alive Again at one!" moment.  That is my theory based on nothing. :P  :biggrin:

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #6203 on: October 17, 2021, 12:22:06 PM »
I think they would have announced by now if 22 will be the last Morsefest. 

I doubt he knows for sure already that '22 will be the last, but I think he has to know that using the same venue may not be possible going forward, and doing it just about anywhere else will take away from it feeling like Morsefest.  Doing a couple of shows at a normal concert venue and calling it Morsefest just isn't the same, and finding another church near his home (one he is comfortable with) or whatever that is willing to let him do his thing may not be so easy.  We had talked it before, how Alive Again and World Without End were the two long epics from his solo/NMB career that had yet to be played at a Morsefest, and it wouldn't surprise me if they decided to play both knowing that this could be the last year NMB does a Morsefest (since TA is doing next year's), meaning they didn't want to risk saving either for a future Morsefest that they know now may never happen.  They wanted to check the boxes on getting both played at a Morsefest instead of saving one and then having that "dang, there won't be another Morsefest and we never played Alive Again at one!" moment.  That is my theory based on nothing. :P  :biggrin:

Huh, I didn't even realize they didn't play "Alive Again" at Morsefest 2015, but double checking setlist.fm, you're right. I know we have official live tour albums from Momentum and TGE, but those songs hadn't been done at Morsefest and I guess I thought they had been. No wonder they pulled them out for this year's Morsefest. Now I guess every song from TGE has been played live except "Doomsday Destiny".

I guess the middle 3 songs from Momentum haven't been played live at Morsefest yet, right?

-Marc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6204 on: October 17, 2021, 12:30:29 PM »
I think so, and technically the song Momentum has not been played in full; only a snippet of it was played in the encore medley in 2019.

I know it was played in some of the encores on the Similitude tour, but it was not played at Morsefest in 2017.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6205 on: October 29, 2021, 11:11:09 AM »
I really find myself struggling to find enjoyment in Innocence and Danger.  I mean, normally, I don't make myself try to find enjoyment with music.  I either like it or a don't, and if the latter, I typically just move on to something else since there is so much that I do enjoy.  But Neal has been one of my top artists for years now, so I find it somewhat confusing when his work doesn't grab me.  This album falls into that category.  Maybe I just need to give it a few really focused listens.  Just not really connecting with it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6206 on: October 29, 2021, 11:16:42 AM »
I really find myself struggling to find enjoyment in Innocence and Danger.  I mean, normally, I don't make myself try to find enjoyment with music.  I either like it or a don't, and if the latter, I typically just move on to something else since there is so much that I do enjoy.  But Neal has been one of my top artists for years now, so I find it somewhat confusing when his work doesn't grab me.  This album falls into that category.  Maybe I just need to give it a few really focused listens.  Just not really connecting with it.
I've certainly felt that with some of Neal's stuff, but not with that album.

I hope it clicks for you.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kram

« Reply #6207 on: October 29, 2021, 11:43:12 AM »
I'm finding that I'm now just listening to the "Danger" part of this.  I like all of the shorter concise songs - but they've seemed to run their course.  Whereas the two epics, they're still captivating my attention.  Anyone else in this boat?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6208 on: October 29, 2021, 01:02:54 PM »

I think you and I are at polar opposites.  What you write about the new DT is how I feel about the new NMB, and what you write about the new NMB is what I feel about the new DT.   Sorta, more or less.   The DT is good, it's not like they all of a sudden suck, but I'm just not connecting.  NMB is still my album of the year.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #6209 on: October 29, 2021, 01:14:58 PM »

I think you and I are at polar opposites.  What you write about the new DT is how I feel about the new NMB, and what you write about the new NMB is what I feel about the new DT.   Sorta, more or less.   The DT is good, it's not like they all of a sudden suck, but I'm just not connecting.  NMB is still my album of the year.

Same here Bill. I really dig the new DT album.....BUT.....I like Innocence and Danger much more. I like the variety in it and IMO Eric utterly shines in I&D whereas JP is just doing JP. That's not a bad thing per say but JP is (just) throwing a bunch of notes out there that go well together where I feel that what Eric has given us is just beautiful all around.

Anyway....two great albums but I'm leaning TNMB as far as which one is my favorite.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #6210 on: October 29, 2021, 02:06:44 PM »
It's been a week and AVFTTOTW already sounds old to me. But Innocence & Danger, while sounding like a lot of what Morse has done, still sounds fresh to me 2 months since release.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6211 on: October 29, 2021, 06:02:18 PM »
As I have said before, I think Innocence & Danger would have benefited by a much different running order. The one they used just doesn't seem to flow well for some reason, although the transition from Another Story to Tell into The Way It Had to Be is still killer.  Still a damn good album, but I don't see this coming close to the top of my list of favorite Neal(-related) albums.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #6212 on: October 29, 2021, 08:17:49 PM »

I found it mostly enjoyable when I listened to it, but after a few weeks I realized how forgettable the record is.

I listened to the album and nothing was retained in my memory. It would have been the same if I hadn't listened.

But I'm not saying it's a bad record. It just didn't mark me. It was just another record.

Offline DTA

« Reply #6213 on: October 30, 2021, 05:46:44 AM »
As I have said before, I think Innocence & Danger would have benefited by a much different running order. The one they used just doesn't seem to flow well for some reason, although the transition from Another Story to Tell into The Way It Had to Be is still killer.  Still a damn good album, but I don't see this coming close to the top of my list of favorite Neal(-related) albums.

Agreed. Putting the two epics on the second disc was a baffling move. I think they wanted to stick to the Innocence Disc 1/Danger Disc 2 concept too hard and it made a really disjointed finished product.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6214 on: October 30, 2021, 07:54:15 AM »
Even though I have come around on liking the cover a lot, had they saved that for a bonus disc, ditched both Do It All Again and Emergence, and reworked the running order so the two epics aren't back to back, it could have been a killer 79-minute album. 

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #6215 on: October 30, 2021, 12:01:35 PM »
Wonder why they keep doing all these experiments only for the general consensus to be that it should be like every other album...

I'm thinking of both I&D and TAU. Both haven't exactly become the future of album releasing, sequencing and structure.

Offline 425

« Reply #6216 on: October 30, 2021, 12:27:15 PM »
I think the track sequence is perfect.

I&D started neck-and-neck with Senjutsu, and hasn't quite had the staying power of the latter for me, but I still have a very positive view of it.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6217 on: November 01, 2021, 02:41:34 PM »

I like both albums quite a bit.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Cocopjojo

• Astral Traveler
« Reply #6218 on: November 03, 2021, 02:50:14 PM »
Did they end up releasing the latest Morsefest audio on Waterfall or anywhere else outside of emailing folks? I'd like to get a hold of it.

Offline Willthescout7

« Reply #6219 on: November 15, 2021, 10:56:34 AM »
Radiant has started their Christmas sales. A lot of the live cds/dvds are on sale for $1.99. If you have holes in your collection, you should definitely check it out.

Offline HOF

« Reply #6220 on: November 15, 2021, 11:09:12 AM »
Paul Gilbert is the guest on Neal’s podcast this week, which should be a lot of fun from the preview Neal posted today (it’s available now for Waterfall subscribers, Wednesday for everyone else).

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #6221 on: November 15, 2021, 11:11:36 AM »
Radiant has started their Christmas sales. A lot of the live cds/dvds are on sale for $1.99. If you have holes in your collection, you should definitely check it out.

You get the physical product for a dollar and the download costs ten times as much? Where's the logic in that?

Sadly, as always, shipping is far too expensive to make the sale interesting if you live outside the US.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Kram

« Reply #6222 on: November 15, 2021, 11:12:35 AM »
Paul Gilbert is the guest on Neal’s podcast this week, which should be a lot of fun from the preview Neal posted today (it’s available now for Waterfall subscribers, Wednesday for everyone else).
Cool, I'll have to check that out.  His guitar solo on The Door is one of my favorite guitar solos ever!!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #6223 on: November 15, 2021, 11:18:31 AM »
Sadly, as always, shipping is far too expensive to make the sale interesting if you live outside the US.

The story of my life.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6224 on: November 15, 2021, 11:33:05 AM »
Is there a page that actually says what is on sale without just having to randomly click on items to see what the price is?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline HOF

« Reply #6225 on: November 15, 2021, 11:36:25 AM »
Is there a page that actually says what is on sale without just having to randomly click on items to see what the price is?

I think the sale doesn’t start until tomorrow (according to what Neal posted on FB), so maybe the sale page isn’t up yet?

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #6226 on: November 15, 2021, 12:01:57 PM »
It's interesting, I have both Sola Gratia and I&D and have not listened to either yet. Could not tell you why. Well, I have been leaning into really heavier music lately, I guess. That might be it, I really don't know. It seems as I get older, the heavier my tastes have been getting. I am getting into stuff that I never thought I ever would and it has opened a door to so much. Prog has sort of slipped by the wayside for now.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline 425

« Reply #6227 on: November 15, 2021, 12:07:39 PM »
I go through ebbs and flows with NM, and I'm definitely in an ebb right now. I did listen to I&D a lot when it came out, but I still haven't listened much to SG or JCTE. But at some point I imagine I'll go into a heavy Neal phase, and then I'll come back to those albums.

I did grab a couple of albums on the Radiant sale, although I have most of the live albums now via previous sales. I got ? Live and I finally got V, which is not on sale, but has been out of stock on Radiant and Amazon for, like, years, but is in stock now.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6228 on: November 15, 2021, 12:59:30 PM »
It's interesting, I have both Sola Gratia and I&D and have not listened to either yet. Could not tell you why. Well, I have been leaning into really heavier music lately, I guess. That might be it, I really don't know. It seems as I get older, the heavier my tastes have been getting. I am getting into stuff that I never thought I ever would and it has opened a door to so much. Prog has sort of slipped by the wayside for now.

I am curious what you think of I&D.  I know for me it has legs like no album in a LONG time. It's probably my favorite NM/NMB album now, and yesterday I listened to it back to back with Senjutsu and it held it's own.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #6229 on: November 15, 2021, 01:08:03 PM »

I am curious what you think of I&D.  I know for me it has legs like no album in a LONG time. It's probably my favorite NM/NMB album now, and yesterday I listened to it back to back with Senjutsu and it held it's own.

I know this wasn't directed to me, but I'll offer my thoughts.  Both of them are great - I&D is contending for Album of the Year for me - Top 3 atm for sure.  SG was just outside my Top 20 for 2020.. though Seemingly Sincere was in my Top3 for songs for 2020, and there are a TON of great guitar solo's in SG.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion