Author Topic: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread  (Read 550771 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread
« Reply #5425 on: June 18, 2021, 06:53:29 PM »
THE NEAL MORSE BAND - Do It All Again (OFFICIAL VIDEO)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiNt_kQvoag

Just watched the video.  That was not good.  Stupid overlay effects ruined it just like they have tainted too many of Neal's recent concert films (which is why I stopped buying them).  They really need either someone new to edit their videos and concert films.  Yowza.

Really like the song, though!  :tup :tup

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5426 on: June 18, 2021, 07:07:57 PM »
No STL date. Bummer.  :censored

Yeah. I was hopeful there’d be one being they’ve come through the last two tours. Maybe there will be a second US leg?

I suspect venues are booking fast with so many acts looking to get back out on the road, so it was probably tough to lock down the dates that they did.  It's a bummer, but I totally get it.

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #5427 on: June 18, 2021, 07:13:38 PM »
So I just kind of preordered the new album on Radiant's website (I know, I know, I should have learned by now).  My email that I got after placing the orders says that I ordered Morsefest 2015 when I clearly ordered the new album.   :facepalm:  I don't have a warm and fuzzy feeling about this. 
« Last Edit: June 18, 2021, 07:19:23 PM by ronnibran »

Offline 425

« Reply #5428 on: June 18, 2021, 07:16:38 PM »
THE NEAL MORSE BAND - Do It All Again (OFFICIAL VIDEO)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiNt_kQvoag

Just watched the video.  That was not good.  Stupid overlay effects ruined it just like they have tainted too many of Neal's recent concert films (which is why I stopped buying them).  They really need either someone new to edit their videos and concert films.  Yowza.

Really like the song, though!  :tup :tup

I didn't mind it because it showed the band playing and you could really see a lot of what they were doing with their instruments. The visual effects weren't that great, but I'm always good with a video where you can see the band playing.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5429 on: June 19, 2021, 07:53:22 AM »

I didn't mind it because it showed the band playing and you could really see a lot of what they were doing with their instruments. The visual effects weren't that great, but I'm always good with a video where you can see the band playing.

I suppose. Music videos of just a band playing the music are usually kinda boring if you ask me (although there are exceptions), and adding those stupid effects again just kind of ruined this one for me.  But it's okay, I won't watch it again, and it won't affect my enjoyment of the music by any means.  :tup :tup

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #5430 on: June 19, 2021, 07:57:06 AM »
So I just kind of preordered the new album on Radiant's website (I know, I know, I should have learned by now).  My email that I got after placing the orders says that I ordered Morsefest 2015 when I clearly ordered the new album.   :facepalm:  I don't have a warm and fuzzy feeling about this.

This happened to everyone, according to the comments on Facebook. I wouldn't worry about it until MF15 shows up at your door :lol
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline 425

« Reply #5431 on: June 19, 2021, 09:02:11 AM »
I suppose. Music videos of just a band playing the music are usually kinda boring if you ask me (although there are exceptions), and adding those stupid effects again just kind of ruined this one for me.  But it's okay, I won't watch it again, and it won't affect my enjoyment of the music by any means.  :tup :tup

I get you. I think I look for different things in music videos than most people. I'm usually not interested in ones that try to have a story concept or anything like that. I really just want to see the band playing, preferably in an interesting location. This one succeeded on the first count and not on the second.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #5432 on: June 19, 2021, 09:20:33 AM »

This happened to everyone, according to the comments on Facebook. I wouldn't worry about it until MF15 shows up at your door :lol

At least you got an email from Radiant to confirm your order! Thankfully my order is listed in my order history in my account, so it definitely went through. But yeah, on the whole, the ordeal almost felt like more trouble than it was worth, but I do appreciate Neal signing double the number of bundle pre-orders. Honestly, since the Morsefest 2019 set is only getting 1000 sets made, and they're only being sold through Radiant, I don't see why he couldn't make the time to sign all 1000, just to make them extra special, especially since they're not being sold anywhere else.

Ah well, at least that's one less album order I have to worry about this year, and now we wait 10 weeks for the new album. Looking at the single release schedule from Transatlantic's The Absolute Universe, I suspect the next single to drop on July 9th, and the third single on August 6th. I still think "The Way It Has To Be" will be one of these two, and maybe "Your Place In The Sun" as the other single.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline darkshade

« Reply #5433 on: June 19, 2021, 11:11:54 AM »
I still stick to picking up the album at my local shop most of the time, as they generally have all the big prog, rock, and metal releases on release day.

Offline HOF

« Reply #5434 on: June 19, 2021, 01:25:41 PM »
I still stick to picking up the album at my local shop most of the time, as they generally have all the big prog, rock, and metal releases on release day.

That must be nice! Been a long time since I’ve bought a new release in a shop. I think it was the last The Winery Dogs album probably.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #5435 on: June 19, 2021, 01:53:37 PM »

That must be nice! Been a long time since I’ve bought a new release in a shop. I think it was the last The Winery Dogs album probably.

Granted, it's not close to where I live, but it's worth the hike.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #5436 on: June 19, 2021, 06:25:53 PM »
2nd Row in front of Eric.

Anyone know if there is more Flying Colors Morsefest footage than the bonus that ended up on Flying Colors Live In London?

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #5437 on: June 19, 2021, 07:15:48 PM »
2nd Row in front of Eric.

Anyone know if there is more Flying Colors Morsefest footage than the bonus that ended up on Flying Colors Live In London?

The entire Flying Colors show from Morsefest 2019 is being released by Radiant Records. Preordera went up yesterday for the 4CD/2BD complete Morsefest 2019 set, but only 1000 are being produced.
https://www.nealmorse.com/product/nmb-innocence-morsefest-2019-4cd-2-blu-ray-set/

Looks like it's still available for order.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline tuto

« Reply #5438 on: June 19, 2021, 08:33:53 PM »
This is what I've got so far from the lyrics. Some lines I'm not sure about. If anyone feels up to filling the blanks, have at it!

(?) yesterday like climbing over shades of gray
Longing for some black and red
Getting to know the other side the years of strain are true and tried
Still IŽd do it all again
I Žve lived through time in the dust at the mire
Nearing the end of our lives
Death awaits

And when my heart is broken
IŽd do it all again
Through all the pain and suffering
IŽd do it all….IŽd do it all again

Never  again I used to say and I canŽt look the other way
Catching a glimpse of eternal days
I get up I get down I change around but still right in his grip I'm found
Waiting for those later days later days later days

I've lived through time
No one knows all my troubles
Still when the day comes comes at dawn we will still be one (?)

IŽd do it all again

Celebrate ...turn away ...find the oceans daughter (?)
Feel the flame
heed the rain
bow to what comes forward

IŽd do it all again

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #5439 on: June 19, 2021, 10:50:54 PM »

(Three syllables??) of yesterday, like climbing over shades of gray
Longing for some black and red
Getting to know the other side, the years of strain, the true and tried
Still I'd do it all again

I've lived through time
In the dust and the mire
Nearing the end of my life, death awaits

I'd do it all again
I'd do it all, I'd do it all again

Never again I used to say and I can't look the other way
Catching a glimpse of eternal days
I get up I get down I change around but still right in his grip I'm found
Waiting for those later days, later days, later days

I've lived through time
No one knows all my troubles
Still when the day comes at dawn, we will still be one

I'd do it all again

Celebrate
Turn away
Find the ocean's daughter
Fan the flame
Heed the rain
Bow to what comes forward

I'd do it all again
Through all my pain and suffering

I'd do it all again
Through all my pain and suffering
I'd do it all again
Let's do it all again
Do it all again
Do it all again

Fixed it up in a few spots, but I still can't get the first words that Neal sings. It sounds like "Eden dust" or "Even dust", but everything else I typed/fixed seems to be close, even the change of "Through all my pain and suffering" in the last two chorus repeats. Guess we'll have to wait til the album drops to get the official lyrics!

-Marc.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #5440 on: June 20, 2021, 04:27:23 AM »
Those lyrics remind me of "Headlong Flight" by Rush. :coolio
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5441 on: June 20, 2021, 08:37:40 AM »

I get you. I think I look for different things in music videos than most people. I'm usually not interested in ones that try to have a story concept or anything like that. I really just want to see the band playing, preferably in an interesting location. This one succeeded on the first count and not on the second.

I think videos of just a band playing can be good if the stage personalities of a member or two really come out and shine (like in Van Halen's Jump, for example), but NMB is not really a band that likes being demonstrative in videos and whatnot.  Just a matter of style and preference.  Given their target audience, prog fans who want to sit at shows and stare at the fingers of the performers to see if they hit every note just right :P,  videos like this are perfect. :)

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #5442 on: June 22, 2021, 10:36:38 AM »
So, since I don't order from Radiant (9000 bucks shipping), I now saw that one of my "online shops of trust" has a limited vinyl of the new NMB album. But for a whopping 60 Euros (71-72 dollars). That's quite a price for a 3 LP album. I expect it to be similar to Islands by The Flower Kings in terms of packaging etc., for which I paid 42 Euros. Unusual move for InsideOut.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #5443 on: June 23, 2021, 06:17:53 AM »
So, since I don't order from Radiant (9000 bucks shipping), I now saw that one of my "online shops of trust" has a limited vinyl of the new NMB album. But for a whopping 60 Euros (71-72 dollars). That's quite a price for a 3 LP album. I expect it to be similar to Islands by The Flower Kings in terms of packaging etc., for which I paid 42 Euros. Unusual move for InsideOut.

The vinyl version is 46 euro's in The Netherlands at one prominent store (the only one listing it so far). The last two TNB albums were also of this price (Similtude and Adventure). So here it seems normal. Somehow it is listed as a boxset, but I doubt it as the picture is of a regular vinyl coversleeve.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #5444 on: June 23, 2021, 08:53:06 AM »

The vinyl version is 46 euro's in The Netherlands at one prominent store (the only one listing it so far). The last two TNB albums were also of this price (Similtude and Adventure). So here it seems normal. Somehow it is listed as a boxset, but I doubt it as the picture is of a regular vinyl coversleeve.

I should have mentioned, I am a sucker for all things limited and colored vinyl (it's almost pathological lol). The one colored vinyl edition I could find (apart from RR) is 60 bucks. The regular 3LP set is 48-55 in Germany too, depending on which online store. The usual 3LP set of TFK's Islands was 36 Euros.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5445 on: June 24, 2021, 09:18:35 AM »
Check out this clip of NMB performing "I’ve Got To Run" at Morsefest 2019: https://youtu.be/C_2gZGLfeU0
You can get the 4 CD/ 2 Blu-ray set exclusively at www.nealmorse.com/shop/ – why not pick up the bundle with NMB’s "Innocence & Danger" on colored vinyl for a $10 discount!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5446 on: June 24, 2021, 09:49:44 AM »
Why not?  Because it is only being offered through a website that for years now refuses to deal with technical and customer service issues to the point that many, myself included, angrily boycott anything to do with Radiant's website until Neal steps in and fixes it.  Honestly, the fact that the problems are so bad (and have been for years) coupled with the fact that he is trying to force people to use that broken medium to purchase it by making it exclusive to the website has me so angry at Neal that I am considering not buying anything from him in the future from any source despite him being one of my favorite artists.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline 425

« Reply #5447 on: June 24, 2021, 10:48:28 AM »
I fully understand being angry about Radiant and boycotting the website, but I don't think MF2019 is exclusive because Neal is trying to promote Radiant or something—it sounded to me like he tried to arrange for wider distribution but the label didn't want to do it.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5448 on: June 24, 2021, 10:53:11 AM »
I can't go that far, bosk1, but I hear ya.  It is frustrating, and Neal definitely seems to have his head buried in the sand as to how poorly that site is run, and I put that on him at this point more than the lady who runs it as they clearly need more help to make it run well and he seems unwilling to give her any.  I get that he probably has to run it this way to make money, but the site stinks and the CS is poor.  And better not say that on the FB page, as the legion of fans who wait to defend any and everything related to Neal will pounce and tell you to be patient and blah, blah, blah.  :\ :\

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #5449 on: June 24, 2021, 11:03:53 AM »
I can't go that far, bosk1, but I hear ya.  It is frustrating, and Neal definitely seems to have his head buried in the sand as to how poorly that site is run, and I put that on him at this point more than the lady who runs it as they clearly need more help to make it run well and he seems unwilling to give her any.  I get that he probably has to run it this way to make money, but the site stinks and the CS is poor.  And better not say that on the FB page, as the legion of fans who wait to defend any and everything related to Neal will pounce and tell you to be patient and blah, blah, blah.  :\ :\

That's why I'm not on Neal's, Eric's or Mike's FB groups :lol

I get that somethimes these things happen and we have to be patient and all that, but that's not Radiant's case. They seem to ALWAYS have issues with whatever new big product they seem to be promoting at the time. Thankfully, the only time I've bought something from them it was a digital download (the Proggy Christmas album), and had no issues there.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #5450 on: June 24, 2021, 12:13:30 PM »

I get that somethimes these things happen and we have to be patient and all that, but that's not Radiant's case. They seem to ALWAYS have issues with whatever new big product they seem to be promoting at the time. Thankfully, the only time I've bought something from them it was a digital download (the Proggy Christmas album), and had no issues there.

I tried to download the Hope & A Future album when it came out and it didn't work either  :lol

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #5451 on: June 24, 2021, 02:42:12 PM »

I tried to download the Hope & A Future album when it came out and it didn't work either  :lol

I knew I couldn't give Radiant too much credit :lol :facepalm:
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5452 on: June 24, 2021, 03:28:39 PM »
The sad thing is that making sure things run smoothly does not seem to be a priority of Neal's.  Not sure anyone else saw this, but when logged in under his wife's account last week when the sale was a shit show due to technical issues, Neal admitted that he forgot to tell his tech guys about the big sale.  I was like... :eek :eek :eek :eek   I have no doubt that if Neal made big bucks from his career, he would turn a site like that over to people who could run it right and have the time to do so, but as it stands, he is stuck with a site that gives poor customer service and is seen by far too many as a clown show.  What a pity.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5453 on: June 25, 2021, 08:37:38 AM »
The sad thing is that making sure things run smoothly does not seem to be a priority of Neal's.  Not sure anyone else saw this, but when logged in under his wife's account last week when the sale was a shit show due to technical issues, Neal admitted that he forgot to tell his tech guys about the big sale.  I was like... :eek :eek :eek :eek   I have no doubt that if Neal made big bucks from his career, he would turn a site like that over to people who could run it right and have the time to do so, but as it stands, he is stuck with a site that gives poor customer service and is seen by far too many as a clown show.  What a pity.

I contacted NM the presale day and offered my service to create a new website, and or at least help fix the current one. He got interested I sent him a quote but havenŽt heard back from him. I guess he is no interested, or maybe he wants a cheaper option, although I think my quote was a reasonable one.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5454 on: June 26, 2021, 07:54:25 AM »

I contacted NM the presale day and offered my service to create a new website, and or at least help fix the current one. He got interested I sent him a quote but havenŽt heard back from him. I guess he is no interested, or maybe he wants a cheaper option, although I think my quote was a reasonable one.

It could be that he is pondering the offer by running the numbers and whatnot.  Wouldn't surprise me if he figured it is not worth it to spend more money on the site, as his fanbase it is what it is at this point, and if enough fans are still giving Radiant their money, it might not make sense to him to spend more money on it (as it could become a net loss for him since an upgraded site may not result in higher traffic/more sales).  Besides, is the website even the issue?  I always thought bad customer service was the biggest issue.  Seems like it's every other day where you see someone online saying they had an issue and emailed Radiant and never got a reply.  That is simply unacceptable, and that goes back to Radiant being understaffed. 

Offline darkshade

« Reply #5455 on: June 26, 2021, 08:05:10 AM »
While I agree, 'in this day and age' all websites should run smoothly, it's totally understandable to be ticked off about ordering online from big acts like Metallica, Foo Fighters, or even Dream Theater. Neal Morse, however, is not a mega star like Peter Gabriel or Phil Collins, is 61 (any age under 70 at this point is kind of no excuse, technologically speaking) and his music and his fan base is very much underground, but definitely more popular than your average musician, but not enough to staff more people or to finance a website overhaul (I assume). Even with, arguably, his biggest paycheck, Transatlantic, but that band only records and performs sporadically. I wonder how much more money Neal would make if Transatlantic was a full time band releasing albums as often as Neal does on his own or with his own band.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5456 on: June 26, 2021, 08:06:10 AM »

It could be that he is pondering the offer by running the numbers and whatnot.  Wouldn't surprise me if he figured it is not worth it to spend more money on the site, as his fanbase it is what it is at this point, and if enough fans are still giving Radiant their money, it might not make sense to him to spend more money on it (as it could become a net loss for him since an upgraded site may not result in higher traffic/more sales).  Besides, is the website even the issue?  I always thought bad customer service was the biggest issue.  Seems like it's every other day where you see someone online saying they had an issue and emailed Radiant and never got a reply.  That is simply unacceptable, and that goes back to Radiant being understaffed.

You are right, but as I see things it all starts with the orders that happen on the website, then it goes to customer service, etc. But yeah, maybe he is not interested, but that alone is an issue too, why offer a good product through a bad channel, he is shooting himself on his foot.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5457 on: June 26, 2021, 08:32:43 AM »

You are right, but as I see things it all starts with the orders that happen on the website, then it goes to customer service, etc. But yeah, maybe he is not interested, but that alone is an issue too, why offer a good product through a bad channel, he is shooting himself on his foot.

Oh, I agree.  I was just thinking out loud as to what Neal's thought process might be (total speculation on my part, of course).  I think it would take a lot of fans moving away from Radiant to get Neal to make a big move, and I don't see that, and offering many things through the website only makes it easy to keep the traffic flow largely consistent since most fans will grin and bear it with the suckitude of Radiant and still buy from there since they want any and everything he releases.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #5458 on: June 27, 2021, 10:08:42 AM »
I just think Neal doesn't have the income to have a staff that most websites hire to run as smooth as most websites do.

He doesn't have any of his albums on Spotify and utilizes his own Waterfall service as a way to make more profit from the albums. Without having to hand it over to spotify and the label.

It's why he created his own Radiant Records label in the first place. So he can get more profit from the sales. Without that income going to other areas.

These are all ways for him to make income to be able to  continue putting on MorseFest.

Oh, I agree.  I was just thinking out loud as to what Neal's thought process might be (total speculation on my part, of course).  I think it would take a lot of fans moving away from Radiant to get Neal to make a big move, and I don't see that, and offering many things through the website only makes it easy to keep the traffic flow largely consistent since most fans will grin and bear it with the suckitude of Radiant and still buy from there since they want any and everything he releases.

People still buy from them, so there you go. Consumerism at its finest, when even though people complain they'll still shell out money for it.

It's why boycotting by not buying their product is dumb because consumerism makes people still buy the product, regardless if they've been wronged.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Willthescout7

« Reply #5459 on: June 27, 2021, 10:22:21 AM »
So...in the last few days I finished collecting Neal Morse albums. From this time in Spock's Beard, to Transatlantic, to Flying Colors, I have at least a digital download. I planned to listen to one a day until I got through it, but since life just took a nasty turn I'm changing the plan. I'm listening to all of it. In one sitting. Or, more likely, until I pass out from exhaustion forgetting that reality exists. Either option is preferable at the moment. I will be making a post for each album with my thoughts, or delirious ramblings more like. I don't expect anyone to particularly care, but just skip over these musings then. I will be going roughly in chronological order starting with Spock's Beard. The whole album list is as follows:
Spock's Beard: The Light, Beware of Darkness, The Kindness of Strangers, Day for Night, V, Snow
Neal Morse: Neal Morse, It's Not Too Late, Testimony, One, Lead Me Lord, God Won't Give Up, ?, Hitman, Whispers in the Wind, Send the Fire, Songs from the Highway, Sola Scriptura, Homeland, Acoustic Sunrise, Secret Place, Lifeline, The River, Mighty to Save, Time and Seasons, Testimony 2, A Proggy Christmas, Momentum, Get in the Boat, Songs from November, More Songs from November, To God be the Glory, Life & Times, Jesus Christ: The Exorcist, Sola Gratia, Last Minute Christmas Album
Transatlantic: SMPT:e, Bridge Across Forever, The Whirlwind, Kaleidoscope, The Absolute Universe
Flying Colors: Flying Colors, Second Nature, Third Degree
Neal Morse Band: The Grand Experiment, The Similitude of a Dream, The Great Adventure

There is absolutely no way I'm going to make it, but I'm going to try. According to Windows Media Player it is 594 tracks totaling 56 hours. Join me as I marathon it all or pass out and fall out of my chair and potentially give myself a concussion.