Author Topic: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread  (Read 550806 times)

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
Re: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread
« Reply #3465 on: January 27, 2019, 09:23:46 PM »
Looks like I am in the minority here. While I enjoyed the first 2 albums, neither blew me away or really grabbed me. So I expected this to be the same. So much so, that for the first time ever when buying something from Neal, I settled for the plain 2 disc version and didn't bother with the deluxe with the DVD.

Well, after one listen I absolutely love this album. Easily my favorite from them. It's actually tempting me to buy tickets to the show in February now. I would have no problem seeing this thing performed in its entirety.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #3466 on: January 28, 2019, 01:14:38 AM »
Got my copy over the weekend and didn't really have the time to listen to it, so can't comment on that. But the little that I heard sounded good.

But what I found strange, the CD has a little sticker on it:

The Neal Morse Band
featuring
Mike Portnoy (Sons Of Apollo, Winery Dogs)
and
Neal Morse (Flying Colors, Transatlantic)

Nice to know that the Neal Morse Band features Neal Morse  :lol, but why is Portnoy mentioned first and where are the others? Wonder if Eric's wife has seen this?  :biggrin:
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #3467 on: January 28, 2019, 01:58:17 AM »
Probably because the others aren’t really known for anything else, at least as far as I’m aware. The sticker is just to make you aware that, if you like these other bands, this is the same guy who was in them.

Online Mladen

« Reply #3468 on: January 28, 2019, 03:29:29 AM »

I need a few long drives to give this record the car treatment. :hat
See, I listen to this album during my long drives to work. First disc on my way to work, the second on my way back.  :lol

I was only on a second listen, but I already feel that the Dark Melody theme will be THE theme of the album for me. It hit me like a ton of bricks the first time it kicked in in Overture.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #3469 on: January 28, 2019, 06:58:00 AM »
Listening to disc one this morning in the car and it’s pretty much flawless to me. Ok the finale is not a huge epic but it’s still a good song so it doesn’t bother me too much. I even love Hey Ho, Let’s Go, really nice catchy little pop tune.

Parts of disc 2 will take longer to sink in but it’s incredible how Neal manages to produce new material this imaginative and inspired time after time.  Still remember my horror when I heard he’d quit SB and thought he was quitting music full stop and my joy when Testimony was released. A true musical genius.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #3470 on: January 28, 2019, 07:27:34 AM »
Almost through my third listen and I'm liking it more and more with each listen. After the first listen I had some of the same criticisms as others have listed (too much bill/not enough eric, not as many themes, too proggy, etc.). However, after my second listen those went away. I think Eric and Bill actually have a pretty equal share of the vocals. If anyone is less noticeable it's Neal. In regards to the themes, obviously the Love Never Dies theme is the big one and it's such a beautiful and catchy melody that I have no problems if they sing it a million times. This is just a dense album and is going to take a ton of listens to absorb it all. I don't know if it will pass TSOMAD but it may equal it. So glad I got tickets to see them March 1st!

Does anyone have an idea about what is going on plot/story wise? I know it's about Joseph going on a similar journey as his father but a song by song story break down would be awesome.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3471 on: January 28, 2019, 07:28:26 AM »
Got my copy over the weekend and didn't really have the time to listen to it, so can't comment on that. But the little that I heard sounded good.

But what I found strange, the CD has a little sticker on it:

The Neal Morse Band
featuring
Mike Portnoy (Sons Of Apollo, Winery Dogs)
and
Neal Morse (Flying Colors, Transatlantic)

Nice to know that the Neal Morse Band features Neal Morse  :lol, but why is Portnoy mentioned first and where are the others? Wonder if Eric's wife has seen this?  :biggrin:

:rollin

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3472 on: January 28, 2019, 07:52:47 AM »
I'm glad people are liking this album.  I am not surprised that many rank it slightly behind TSOAD.  But here are two general reasons why I do not:

1.  The endings of both disks on TSOAD were underwhelming to me, especially Breath of Angels.  I always felt like that song was trying to be huge and emotional rather than simply being huge and emotional, if that makes sense.  I don't dislike it at all.  But as far as what it is trying to be, I felt like it fell short in terms of impact.

2.  Other than having it on in the background at work, I rarely have time to just sit and listen to a double disk.  That sort of thing just doesn't really fit into my life right now.  When I would get around to listening to TSOAD, I would always enjoy it.  In contrast, when I don't listen to TGA, I miss it and find myself wanting to listen.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3473 on: January 28, 2019, 08:04:06 AM »
Probably because the others aren’t really known for anything else, at least as far as I’m aware. The sticker is just to make you aware that, if you like these other bands, this is the same guy who was in them.

Yep, that is SOP. The biggest "names" from a band will always be mentioned on the sticker, just like the sticker might mention a prior hit and/or well known song.  A DT sticker might still refer to them as the band that once did Pull Me Under, for example.

Still remember my horror when I heard he’d quit SB and thought he was quitting music full stop and my joy when Testimony was released. A true musical genius.

Oh man, I remember that.  It was like someone died when we found out that Neal was leaving Spock's.  The future was so unknown.  And to think about what he has done since musically...my goodness. :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Almost through my third listen and I'm liking it more and more with each listen. After the first listen I had some of the same criticisms as others have listed (too much bill/not enough eric, not as many themes, too proggy, etc.). However, after my second listen those went away. I think Eric and Bill actually have a pretty equal share of the vocals. If anyone is less noticeable it's Neal. In regards to the themes, obviously the Love Never Dies theme is the big one and it's such a beautiful and catchy melody that I have no problems if they sing it a million times. This is just a dense album and is going to take a ton of listens to absorb it all. I don't know if it will pass TSOMAD but it may equal it. So glad I got tickets to see them March 1st!

Does anyone have an idea about what is going on plot/story wise? I know it's about Joseph going on a similar journey as his father but a song by song story break down would be awesome.

That is a good way to put it.  More of it is slowly growing on me and I definitely like it more each time I listen to parts of it (I never have time to digest it all in one sitting, so I might listen to 3-5 songs here, 2-3 there, etc.).

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3474 on: January 28, 2019, 08:14:25 AM »
Other than having it on in the background at work, I rarely have time to just sit and listen to a double disk. 

This is always the tough thing about double disks. I felt the same way with The Astonishing. But, I like TGA and I had the chance over this past weekend to get a solid (4) listens beginning to end (was putting together some shelving/desks/ etc. for one of my sons room) so I feel like I've got a grasp on it. And, I've heard extended sections here and there also. Any of my criticisms thus far are really just nit picking and not meant to suggest I don't dig the album because I do. It's a really well done album with great storytelling going on.

I recall feeling the same way about TSOAD after a handful of listens....i really liked it but wasn't in love with it. But then, I saw it live and just fell in love with the album!! It was incredible to see performed live. I have a hunch this may happen with TGA for me as well. I'll let you know on 2/28 cuz me and my two older sons are seeing them on 2/27. Full night of fun....meet and greet and then the concert  :metal
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #3475 on: January 28, 2019, 08:49:17 AM »

Yep, that is SOP. The biggest "names" from a band will always be mentioned on the sticker, just like the sticker might mention a prior hit and/or well known song.  A DT sticker might still refer to them as the band that once did Pull Me Under, for example.

Guys, I surely know that. That's not what I found strange/funny about the sticker.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3476 on: January 28, 2019, 09:06:15 AM »
1.  The endings of both disks on TSOAD were underwhelming to me, especially Breath of Angels.  I always felt like that song was trying to be huge and emotional rather than simply being huge and emotional, if that makes sense.  I don't dislike it at all.  But as far as what it is trying to be, I felt like it fell short in terms of impact.

I’m with you on this one. My first thought when I heard Breath of Angels for the first time was that they tried SO HARD to copy what Peaceful Harbor did on FC’s Second Nature.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #3477 on: January 28, 2019, 10:03:18 AM »
So, my interview with Neal FINALLY got published today. Check it out:

https://www.sonicperspectives.com/interviews/interview-with-neal-morse/

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #3478 on: January 28, 2019, 10:05:34 AM »
I am loving this album.  All of the specific critiques I have read I don’t feel the same way with. As someone else wrote, I also feel this is the best album so far with this lineup. The only song I wasn’t digging at first was hey ho, but the song redeemed itself at the end. Boogie woogie.

A couple parts made me think of the Astonishing a bit.

Can’t wait to see this in Chicago next month!

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #3479 on: January 28, 2019, 01:07:44 PM »
I'm glad people are liking this album.  I am not surprised that many rank it slightly behind TSOAD.  But here are two general reasons why I do not:

2.  Other than having it on in the background at work, I rarely have time to just sit and listen to a double disk.  That sort of thing just doesn't really fit into my life right now.  When I would get around to listening to TSOAD, I would always enjoy it.  In contrast, when I don't listen to TGA, I miss it and find myself wanting to listen.

I can’t believe that anyone could find Broken Sky/Long Day Reprise underwhelming. I’m not someone who puts TSOAD at the top of Neal’s releases but even I am consistently brought to tears or close to it whenever I hear that song.  Crazy how tastes vary so much even within a fan base.

Breath Of Angels I get as it did take me a long time to fully appreciate that song and, if I’m being honest, I only really love the final epic moments of the song.

Still really loving the new one and I have to say I was very sceptical after hearing the first 2 or 3 songs released. I actually didn’t bother listening to the later ones and was not all that excited about the album. Happy to be proved wrong!

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #3480 on: January 28, 2019, 01:12:15 PM »

I can’t believe that anyone could find Broken Sky/Long Day Reprise underwhelming. I’m not someone who puts TSOAD at the top of Neal’s releases but even I am consistently brought to tears or close to it whenever I hear that song.  Crazy how tastes vary so much even within a fan base.

Breath Of Angels I get as it did take me a long time to fully appreciate that song and, if I’m being honest, I only really love the final epic moments of the song.

Still really loving the new one and I have to say I was very sceptical after hearing the first 2 or 3 songs released. I actually didn’t bother listening to the later ones and was not all that excited about the album. Happy to be proved wrong!

Yea Broken sky/Long Day is my fav Neal/NMB finale.  i played Similitude the other day.  i was STILL a mess, lol

so i don't get that either but it's all good,

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3481 on: January 28, 2019, 01:41:22 PM »
So, my interview with Neal FINALLY got published today. Check it out:

https://www.sonicperspectives.com/interviews/interview-with-neal-morse/

Nice interview, well done!  :tup :tup

Agreed.  Broken Sky/Long Day Reprise is one of the best endings to any album ever. 

I always liked Breath of Angels a lot, but over time it became one of my favorites. The Morsefest performance, with the way Eric's solo concludes and then leads back in the chorus with the choir, was just unbelievable.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #3482 on: January 28, 2019, 06:38:15 PM »
MP liked my interview with Neal so much that he reposted it. Boooyah!!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3483 on: January 28, 2019, 07:28:02 PM »
Yeah, but just wait till he finds out that you post at the depths of internet hell, otherwise known as the Dream Theater Forums. :P

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #3484 on: January 28, 2019, 07:59:24 PM »
Yeah, but just wait till he finds out that you post at the depths of internet hell, otherwise known as the Dream Theater Forums. :P

Hahah...I think he's past that now, man. One of my biggest dreams as an interviewer is to get to talk to him. But hey...one dream at a time!

Offline Thoughtspart3

« Reply #3485 on: January 29, 2019, 10:04:36 AM »
I really liked it on my first listen.  Too much to digest.  Didn't have a problem with love never dies them.  The finale will be awesome live.  My only real disappointment is that Neal does not sing the love never dies finale!  Bill and then Eric finishes.  I kept waiting thinking "ok now it is Neal's turn" but it never came.  Eric is great but I think it is sad to see them live and not have Neal belting out those emotional closing lines.  I am sure he will probably join in though.  He won't be able to help himself.  Overall I just think Neal and the band are getting better and better.

This is probably my only criticism of the Neal Morse band era.  The choice of when to utilize whose vocals seems off sometimes.  In stories where you have characters it is confusing when different vocalists sing the same character.  It makes it harder to follow the story and also makes it harder to emotionally connect with the character when he has three different voices.  I wish they had made Neal the main character and the other guys sing leads only on the other characters or possibly the narrator. (providing harmonies is fine)  It would feel more like your following one persons journey as he encounters all these other characters.   

Does anyone else find it jarring at times when they switching of vocalist mid-song? 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3486 on: January 29, 2019, 10:47:29 AM »
Nah, I think the way they do it is perfect.  Neal has said in several different interviews recently that often all three will sing everything and then decide who sounds best for each part and then go with that.  I think it's great to hear it bounce around from singer to singer, instead of "here, you sing this song," and "now, I sing this song."

As for the finale, Neal isn't as young as he used to be (his voice still sounds great, but I definitely sense that he can't belt it out live on a nightly basis like he used to), and it is much better having Eric sing that finale, since he will be able to do it justice live every night on the tour.  Now to mention that Eric sounds so damn great singing it that I wouldn't have wanted it any other way. :coolio

Offline utopiarun

« Reply #3487 on: January 29, 2019, 11:31:53 AM »
Does anyone else find it jarring at times when they switching of vocalist mid-song?

Honestly, I do. Eric is a fantastic singer and Bill has a distinct sounding voice but I love Neal as a singer and wish he would sing everything! I think I would rather have either Eric or Bill sing full songs instead of swtching back and forth, which I find to be unusual. Not too many bands have "dueling" lead vocalists on the same song.

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #3488 on: January 29, 2019, 12:23:12 PM »
It IS suppose to be a band not just Neal.  so i like they switch lead vocals. because honestly the 2 things  don't sound much different otherwise

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3489 on: January 29, 2019, 12:37:57 PM »
Neal and Eric both have nice sounding vocals that sound natural and unique. Bills vocals are on key but sound a bit forced at times. It almost sounds like he has a bubble in his throat tonewise especially on the high notes.  His musicianship is excellent though, and his voice sounds much better during the harmonies.  Neal and Eric are easier on the ears for the lead vocal spot.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #3490 on: January 29, 2019, 01:11:53 PM »
Has anyone seen or signed up for the new Neal Morse streaming app, "waterfall?" Looks really cool, and is only $2.99 for IC members ($6.99 for everyone else). I haven't signed up yet since I haven't updated my iPhone to iOS 12 yet. Plus I'm looking for feedback before I sign up.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3491 on: January 29, 2019, 01:13:57 PM »
Neal and Eric both have nice sounding vocals that sound natural and unique. Bills vocals are on key but sound a bit forced at times. It almost sounds like he has a bubble in his throat tonewise especially on the high notes.  His musicianship is excellent though, and his voice sounds much better during the harmonies.  Neal and Eric are easier on the ears for the lead vocal spot.

That’s the soft way of saying it. Bill sounds just BAD when singing the high notes, as if he’s at the max of his range and he keeps pushing it, sounds forced and harsh :tdwn
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #3492 on: January 29, 2019, 01:26:05 PM »
Hmmmm Bill's my fav member.....not counting Neal, lol

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3493 on: January 29, 2019, 01:33:15 PM »
I like that the vocals are divided between them BUT I would definiteley want each character be handled by one vocalist.
This is my main complaint on both TSOAD and TGA.

I actually think it's easier to follow which character sings what in The Astonishing than in either The Similitude of a Dream or The Great Adventure even though TA is just one vocalist.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3494 on: January 29, 2019, 01:34:24 PM »

As a musician, definitely. As a vocalist...  :eek

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #3495 on: January 29, 2019, 01:35:40 PM »

As a musician, definitely. As a vocalist...  :eek

i like his vocals, lol.  then again my fav artist is Tom Waits so...yea, lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3496 on: January 29, 2019, 01:41:40 PM »
Are we talking about the same "Bill"?  The guy who plays keyboards and fancies newsboy caps ala Brian Johnson of AC/DC?

Because when I saw them live - Ridgefield Playhouse, Ridgefield CT - there didn't seem to be that kind of strain and he sounded eerily like Peter Gabriel, thus providing a (pretty cool) contrast to Neal and Eric. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3497 on: January 29, 2019, 01:42:54 PM »
No he didn't.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3498 on: January 29, 2019, 01:45:21 PM »
There is nothing "pretty cool" about sounding like Peter Gabriel. ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3499 on: January 29, 2019, 01:46:03 PM »
Love Bill Hubhauers vocals.... and Erics.... and Neals, I think they complement each other niceley.