Author Topic: Suits  (Read 1600 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Suits
« on: May 07, 2012, 08:38:42 AM »
I just started a new job and after two weeks the company decides to change its dress code to suits. Since I had previously only owned one suit and a couple ties, I was wondering if anyone else out there has to wear this attire regularly and what tips you could possibly give. My previous job I wore jeans and polo shirts. When I started here I was able to wear slacks and button down shirts. Now I was told I need a tie and I can just throw on a sports jacket and since I'm in IT and not a banker, that would be fine for the new dress code.

I never saw myself as a suit and I don't like how I have to spend al this money on clothes, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Offline Azyiu

Re: Suits
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 08:55:42 AM »
^ it sucks, dude. So you said you are in IT? Do you mean you are a programmer of some kind, or someone has to be doing hardware installing type? I honestly don't see why an IT guy (except for sales reps) has to wear suit to work if they don't need to meet clients on a regular basis. Is this something you can raise it to management? Or, would home office be an option at your company?
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 08:56:24 AM »
I have 5 suits in my closet. I wear each one maybe once a year. I got them all at Good Will for under $200  :lol I think they look just fine and are very comfortable.

This one cost me a whopping $28.00 for jacket and pants.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 08:59:56 AM »
I own a few suits , but are not required to wear them, we do have to wear dress slacks and button down dress shirts . Suits are only required when meeting with vendors/clients .

I see your in NJ   Burlington Coat factory if you have one near you is very reasonable with blazers , ties and suits as well, but the majority of the suit pants to need to be altered/tailored

Menswear house runs sales quite often, they have one going on right now, buy a jacket or suit get the second for $100 but expect to pay $$$$$ for the first one

Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 09:05:32 AM »
I also recommend Burlington Coat Factory. I buy shirt/tie combos there all the time.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 09:13:17 AM »
I haven't worn a suit since Eighth Grade graduation, and that was four years ago. I use Men's Warehouse for all of my corporate needs though. Although Chino is spot on with suggesting to check out the thrift stores. The deals there can be great. I would do it if they had my size.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 09:38:29 AM »
^ it sucks, dude. So you said you are in IT? Do you mean you are a programmer of some kind, or someone has to be doing hardware installing type? I honestly don't see why an IT guy (except for sales reps) has to wear suit to work if they don't need to meet clients on a regular basis. Is this something you can raise it to management? Or, would home office be an option at your company?

I am a project manager. Its a small company so i also get my hands dirty in the data center.I agree that the it department should be exempt but only the help desk is. I'm new so in no position to propose a change.
I own a few suits , but are not required to wear them, we do have to wear dress slacks and button down dress shirts . Suits are only required when meeting with vendors/clients .

I see your in NJ   Burlington Coat factory if you have one near you is very reasonable with blazers , ties and suits as well, but the majority of the suit pants to need to be altered/tailored

Menswear house runs sales quite often, they have one going on right now, buy a jacket or suit get the second for $100 but expect to pay $$$$$ for the first one

Ill have to check them out. There's a Burlington coat factory close to me. I went to the jersey shore outlets yesterday and picked up a black and a gray blazer as well as five ties for 280$ at Jos A Bank. The outlets have been great to me lately for clothes.

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 09:46:49 AM »
Chino is a beautiful man.... /nohomo

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2012, 09:48:20 AM »
I actually need a new suit. Lately I've been buying some really top dollar bits of clothing, so I'm debating whether to shell out for something like BOSS, Varvatos or Zegna or to do what I've done in the past and grab a sale at Men's Wearhouse. I've had no problems with any suit I've gotten from MW but I think the tailoring, at least at my store, leaves a lot to be desired. My last suit, a Jones New York, had issues with the way they tailored the pants and the stitching around the pockets was weak.

I need the suit by August, so I have time to look around. I just have to determine if the cost of a high end suit is worth it to me at this point.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2012, 09:55:03 AM »
What about ties? I'm new to doing a tie everyday. I only know how to do a half Windsor. I'm sure I can learn others. I don't know what they mean or what a power tie is or means. Im such a noob to professional clothing.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2012, 09:58:52 AM »
If you go to a good clothing store, JoS Bank or something like, even Nordstrom, the salesmen there will be able to help you pick out something nice. A half Windsor is a perfectly acceptable knot. I tend to go for the full Windsor because I like the symmetry of the knot but whatever works is better. Half Windsors tend to result in a slightly smaller knot so that helps.

Worry about the suit itself first, then go for a shirt and tie that compliment it.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2012, 10:51:07 AM »
What about ties? I'm new to doing a tie everyday. I only know how to do a half Windsor. I'm sure I can learn others. I don't know what they mean or what a power tie is or means. Im such a noob to professional clothing.

There are how-to videos on YouTube for tying every kind of tie you can imagine.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2012, 10:52:34 AM »
Chino is a beautiful man.... /nohomo

Hahaha. Thanks. That pic was from the day we got Osama. I was trying everything on and figured I'd wear that tie so I'd get bonus points for patriotism.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2012, 10:54:54 AM »
Whatever you do, make sure you get that shit tailored. And don't buy it if it doesn't fit in the shoulders.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2012, 10:57:37 AM »
If you go to a good clothing store, JoS Bank or something like, even Nordstrom, the salesmen there will be able to help you pick out something nice. A half Windsor is a perfectly acceptable knot. I tend to go for the full Windsor because I like the symmetry of the knot but whatever works is better. Half Windsors tend to result in a slightly smaller knot so that helps.

Worry about the suit itself first, then go for a shirt and tie that compliment it.

The salesman at jos a bank was awesome. He pretty much matched up my clothing for me. Even got into a nice rangers vs devils discussion.
Whatever you do, make sure you get that shit tailored. And don't buy it if it doesn't fit in the shoulders.
The salesman told me the jacket fit perfectly and didn't need any tailoring. I was very happy to hear that.

Online Xanthul

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2012, 04:09:24 PM »
A couple of tips to look sharp and avoid growing tired of your suits (this is my personal preference so you might think otherwise):

- Don't get suits with stripes - you grow tired of them quickly and they are easily recognizable so you might not feel comfortable wearing them two days in a row and they are somewhat harder to combine. Get two to four (depending on how much you want to spend) plain suits of these colors: gray, brown, dark blue or black.
- Get light colored shirts - easier to combine and look great with the darker suits. White, light blue, light pink, light yellow, whatever.
- Get a few ties - same colors as the shirts but not as pale (darker or more vivid, either is fine).

Now you can combine practically any of your suits with any shirt, put on the matching tie (or a contrasting one if you feel adventurous) and you're set.

I wish someone had given me all this advice a few years ago, I would have saved a ton of money in awful suits and shirts.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2012, 04:37:38 PM »
I honestly can't remember the last time I wore a suit.  I think it was my wedding, which was 16 years ago.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2012, 04:45:12 PM »
The fact that this thread even has to exist is further proof to what we've known forever: assholes run the world.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2012, 04:47:43 PM »
I just spent all day in a suit at a job interview.  I can't imagine having to wear one every day, I'd probably just quit if I had to.  Wool suits and South Carolina summers are not a match.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2012, 05:35:39 PM »
'cuz every girl's crazy bout a sharp dressed man...
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"