Author Topic: Amy Winehouse dead at 27  (Read 8758 times)

Offline Lowdz

Re: Amy Winehouse dead at 27
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2011, 11:56:45 AM »
Had to happen eventually, she'd been trying long enoough. Now for Pete Doherty... another drug addled moron who won't be missed by anyone other than his supplier.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2011, 12:16:26 PM »
Can't say that I've ever heard much of her music, but as a celebrity death watcher I've followed her for quite some time.  My research at the end of last year suggested that she had gotten her act together.  Traditionally she was a top 10 pick, and this year she was more of an afterthought.  So while people have seen this coming for years,  it is surprising that it happened now. 

She had a pretty serious medical condition with her lungs.  Definitely possible that got her rather than drugs,  but I'd probably still put my money on overdose. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline John94

« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2011, 12:18:27 PM »
Absolutely zero sympathy.

I agree. Can't say it I am suprised.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2011, 12:28:18 PM »
Can't say that I've ever heard much of her music, but as a celebrity death watcher I've followed her for quite some time.  My research at the end of last year suggested that she had gotten her act together.  Traditionally she was a top 10 pick, and this year she was more of an afterthought.
I think that's more 'cause people kind of stopped caring. If someone looks like they're going to die explosively, it's an issue. If someone's gone a while without dying explosively, they don't look like such easy money. There was a semi-viral video lately wherein she absolutely ruined a gig in Serbia or somewhere. Absolutely as self-destructive as she's always been, but now she's not a celebrity going off the rails - she's just being Amy.

She'd had a good innings, in truth, considering her lifestyle. More resilient than anyone really thought.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2011, 12:34:33 PM »
Can't say that I've ever heard much of her music, but as a celebrity death watcher I've followed her for quite some time.  My research at the end of last year suggested that she had gotten her act together.  Traditionally she was a top 10 pick, and this year she was more of an afterthought.
I think that's more 'cause people kind of stopped caring. If someone looks like they're going to die explosively, it's an issue. If someone's gone a while without dying explosively, they don't look like such easy money. There was a semi-viral video lately wherein she absolutely ruined a gig in Serbia or somewhere. Absolutely as self-destructive as she's always been, but now she's not a celebrity going off the rails - she's just being Amy.

I was referring to a couple of celebrity death pools that I participate in,  where it's all business; people don't just stop caring about a potential jackpot.  I don't care about her one way or the other, but she was worth an insane number of points to those who picked her and plenty of people take this sort of thing very seriously.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2011, 12:36:43 PM »
Who else is high up on the list?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2011, 12:47:58 PM »
Who else is high up on the list?

Mostly just old people.  The young ones are a lot harder to predict.  I'm sure Dogherty is still pretty high up there, and probably higher after today,  and Lindsay Lohan as well.  Lohan is a longshot since alcohol and cocaine seem to be her vices, and those aren't prone to suddenly killing people.  Winehouse was quite fond of crack and H,  and that's a whole different element of risk.  Same with Dogherty. 
E.F. Benson

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2011, 12:55:02 PM »
After the horribleness of yesterday, I could really care less about her death.  She brought it on herself more than likely.

Also, I hope the rest of Club 27 deny her entrance.  Two albums and a shitload of nasty tattoos does not an artist make.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2011, 12:56:52 PM »
Very sad news. R.I.P.

Offline ACID_FOX

• DTF's Offical Arctic Monkeys Fanboy.
  • But You're Just Fiction, And I'm A Twisted Boy.
« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2011, 12:57:12 PM »
Doherty can't die quick enough. What a parasite.
I only like ablums that I can xanascholithoun.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2011, 01:28:22 PM »
Sad when someone who could have had so much couldn't overcome her demons.

Offline jsem

« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2011, 01:38:15 PM »

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2011, 01:41:52 PM »
Considering that she was much more well known for her behavior and her fucked up personal life than the actual music she put out, I'd say that dying will probably turn out to be the best move of her career.  She's going to get a good deal of attention and sympathy out of her particular case of celebrity death.  Everyone loves a good train wreck.

Offline WildeSilas

« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2011, 01:42:41 PM »
Saw this coming from further away than Layne Staley's and Mike Starr's deaths...
No light at the end of the tunnel due to budget contraints

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2011, 01:58:31 PM »
Considering that she was much more well known for her behavior and her fucked up personal life than the actual music she put out, I'd say that dying will probably turn out to be the best move of her career.  She's going to get a good deal of attention and sympathy out of her particular case of celebrity death.  Everyone loves a good train wreck.

Speaking of which, if her death is more canonized than Michael Jackson's...I just can't even think of what I'd do.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2011, 02:00:01 PM »
Never even heard of her or knew who she was; now I just see her name all over news headlines and facebook statuses.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2011, 02:00:30 PM »

Speaking of which, if her death is more canonized than Michael Jackson's...I just can't even think of what I'd do.

It won't be.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2011, 02:01:13 PM »
Wow, it sucks she had to go this way, but theirs nothing you can do now. Most likely it was and OD, but if its something else then thats a shocker.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #53 on: July 23, 2011, 02:01:22 PM »

It won't be.  It will probably be talked about a lot on television today and maybe on a lot of talk shows on Monday (like The View and crap like that), but that is about it.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #54 on: July 23, 2011, 02:38:25 PM »
Her death was so expected that I sorta talked myself out of its inevitability because it seemed too obvious so now I'm semi-surprised it happened.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #55 on: July 23, 2011, 03:04:43 PM »
To be honest I'm actually surprised she made it this long...Based on what has been written in the papers the last few years about her I expected her to die soon.

Yeah, this. It was really a question of when, not if.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline John94

« Reply #56 on: July 23, 2011, 03:13:01 PM »
My Mum stood behind Pete Doherty in a queue in a shop once. Had the urge to tell him to get a wash. Nevertheless, the local kids told him when he left.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #57 on: July 23, 2011, 03:39:08 PM »
I can't say I have no sympathy. It's easy to condemn this kind of behaviour from our position of (relative) comfort and mental stability. For these people, alcohol or drugs are the only form of escape from a never ending cycle of pain and suffering. People don't choose to be addicts.

Eggggzactly.  Well put.
I didn't.  It starts with the pain and suffering, but eventually it is all about the substance itself.  Once I sobered up, the pain and suffering were still there.  That is where good therapy comes in.  It's too bad she couldn't fight her way through.doesn't mean I'm a saint who isn't laughing at the jokes

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #58 on: July 23, 2011, 06:22:05 PM »
I was never a fan of her music, and not much of a fan of her whole persona, image, demeanor, etc. but it's still sad to see somebody fall victim to addiction, no matter who they are.
Thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis exactly.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: July 23, 2011, 06:31:07 PM »
Quite sad, but as everyone says, it's not surprising, and you can't really empathise with someone who just doesn't want to help themsleves.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ghostnotes

• Groove machine.
« Reply #60 on: July 23, 2011, 08:19:04 PM »
Say what you will about her lifestyle choices and how she handled her fame (or her fame handled her), but the following can't be denied:

1.  Her voice was incredibly unique, and harkened back to 60s Motown, which is an amazing genre of music.
2.  Her influence on the industry as a whole was extremely far-reaching.  She almost single-handedly revived the world's love for the style (has there ever been another example of a "dead" genre being revived to such popularity?  She also paved the way for other popular singers (Lily Allen and Adele off the top of my head).

R.I.P. indeed, shame her demons got her first.

Quite sad, but as everyone says, it's not surprising, and you can't really empathise with someone who just doesn't want to help themsleves.

Uh, she'd been in and out of rehab several times.

For those interested: great version of "Someone to Watch Over Me" by Amy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLqsIIrk5wQ

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #61 on: July 23, 2011, 08:47:16 PM »
I feel another ham bone rumor coming on.......perhaps she choked on something else.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #62 on: July 23, 2011, 08:59:26 PM »
Say what you will about her lifestyle choices and how she handled her fame (or her fame handled her), but the following can't be denied:

1.  Her voice was incredibly unique, and harkened back to 60s Motown, which is an amazing genre of music.
2.  Her influence on the industry as a whole was extremely far-reaching.  She almost single-handedly revived the world's love for the style (has there ever been another example of a "dead" genre being revived to such popularity?  She also paved the way for other popular singers (Lily Allen and Adele off the top of my head).

For those interested: great version of "Someone to Watch Over Me" by Amy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLqsIIrk5wQ
Great post, new guy.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #63 on: July 23, 2011, 10:34:29 PM »
Disclaimer - to Janis fans - no offense.

Speaking of Club 27, I'd like to find the person who put a mic in front of Janis Joplin and encouraged her to sing into it.  Then I'd like to bitch slap that person.  Nails on a chalkboard are less grating on my nerves than listening to Janis sing.  I think I would actually prefer to listen to paint dry.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #64 on: July 23, 2011, 11:49:36 PM »
Disclaimer - to Janis fans - no offense.

Speaking of Club 27, I'd like to find the person who put a mic in front of Janis Joplin and encouraged her to sing into it.  Then I'd like to bitch slap that person.  Nails on a chalkboard are less grating on my nerves than listening to Janis sing.  I think I would actually prefer to listen to paint dry.
No offense taken, but I always loved Janis' voice.  To each his own.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #65 on: July 24, 2011, 04:57:46 AM »

1.  Her voice was incredibly unique, and harkened back to 60s Motown, which is an amazing genre of music.
2.  Her influence on the industry as a whole was extremely far-reaching.  She almost single-handedly revived the world's love for the style (has there ever been another example of a "dead" genre being revived to such popularity?  She also paved the way for other popular singers (Lily Allen and Adele off the top of my head).

Listening to the song now, and as someone who comes from Detroit and therefore is directly familiar with Motown, this sounds like a style rather older than the 60s.  Hell I'd even go back to the 30s with this one, back before the regional style existed.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: July 24, 2011, 07:49:46 AM »
I feel another ham bone rumor coming on.......perhaps she choked on something else.

:facepalm:

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: July 24, 2011, 09:25:16 AM »
Amy Winehouse at 20, before all the dope, tat's, and downward spiral. Seemed like a pretty together gal.  It's obvious that some folks can't handle the pressure of fame...does that make them a bad person?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1iu52L9mUk&feature=player_embedded

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #68 on: July 24, 2011, 07:02:44 PM »

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: July 24, 2011, 07:04:35 PM »
Amy Winehouse at 20, before all the dope, tat's, and downward spiral. Seemed like a pretty together gal.  It's obvious that some folks can't handle the pressure of fame...does that make them a bad person?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1iu52L9mUk&feature=player_embedded

Wow, she was really pretty. Shame.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.