Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 917498 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I'm at about the 2 hour mark in the show. Great show again Brent! These are truly gifts, and I really appreciate them. BUT.....

Sherbet Machine??  Yeah, I was like WTF?? Don't tell me the B Side is about his Jimmie Machine!

Thanks for the feedback - even the suckage :lol
Good, Because Tuff Luck = suckage! :lol

The Panther tune was OK. Did you say that was 1986? I have always considered JSS's work on Marching Out as  TAC Top 10 All Time Vocal. I have never come across anything else decent that he has done. Does anyone have recommendations? I sample everything I come across, like Bravewords just linked his new song, but it blows.

Oh, and speaking of blowing, what's the deal with George Lynch? The guy can obviously play, but that Lynch Mob tune was so freaking generic. Not a commentary on the show Brent, just a discussion point on Lynch. I have never understood the hero worship of this guy.

In the still of the night......  :metal 

That Rata Blanca tune was fantastic. I am going to look into that.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 06:18:09 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I knew when I heard Welcome To The Jungle that Ben was in the house.

And don't worry about the echo.
I'd rather have that than thinking you're trying to talk sexy to us!  ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah........Tuff Luck ain't great - the only reason I have them is because of the guitarist.  Great guitar solos can draw me in to a point.

Re Skrapp Mettle - that's why it was there , to elicit that reaction :lol

Re Soto I have almost everything he has done , so will slot in plenty of the older stuff for you.  To be honest I thought you might have labelled the Rata  Blanca as generic Rainbow style and , as evidenced by your roulette, I never quite got a complete handle on your tastes .  So I am not 100% sure what Soto stuff would appeal , but I will continue to play rare Soto related stuff. there's not a lot he did in the Malmsteen style though.  And yeah - Panther was 1986.   

Re Lynch ..........I can understand the style feeling a bit generic but he is a player you can recognise after hearing 10 seconds , so from that angle he is almost the antithesis of "generic."   To be honest that's the pinnacle of originality compared to what is coming out in hard rock circles today :lol   Lynch has done a lot more varied stuff in recent years (KXM etc.....)but I suppose if you're not a Dokken fan then there's not a great deal he has done that would appeal.  The Lynch Mob album Smoke and Mirrors is a bit more gritty , perhaps try something off that?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 11:00:22 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Oh, and speaking of blowing, what's the deal with George Lynch? The guy can obviously play, but that Lynch Mob tune was so freaking generic. Not a commentary on the show Brent, just a discussion point on Lynch. I have never understood the hero worship of this guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgzjtAo60ug

There you go.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Lowdz

Lynch was a great player with his own sound. Very influential at the time too. Haven't got yo the Lynch Mob tune so don't know what you heard, but there was some more commercial stuff on the 2nd LM album.

I can at least listen to this podcast. The last one I never got to hear. Playing it through the Mega app on the iPad is a pain as it cuts out every time the screen goes to sleep. PITA.

What was the name of the band after DT and SX? And the one after Alien? Struggling to translate from the Aussie  :biggrin:

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm not sure I understand the problem that you seem to be having with the prior podcast Paul?  I don't believe it was an issue for anyone else.....should be a simple mp3.  Or was that the one I did in .rar , trying to reduce file size?   if that's the case then all you need is a zip file extractor to convert to mp3 - a free program like Winrar or 7zip.  Let me know and maybe I can do something.   FWIW I never intended it to be played via the MEGA app (didn't even know you could).

The Lynch track was the bonus Love In Your Eyes..............my fave on that album is probably When Darkness Calls but when I have a bonus I will often use it in case fans of the band haven't heard it.

The band after SX was Divided Multitude.   The band after Alien was Arion.

In the past I have considered posting a track listing in the thread but that sorta ruins the surprise of a radio show I think.   If you were happy for me to zip the files then I could incorporate a doc file that has the tracks.  Or I could PM the regulars a tracklist in the days after release.  If anyone wants that then just let me know.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 07:18:02 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
OK, let me approach Lynch from another angle. Obviously the guy can play. Obviously. I saw Dokken a number of times, the best being the 95 Reunion club tour and Lynch ripped it up.

Now I'm a huge Michael Schenker fan, and if I'm being totally honest, a lot of his catalog is extremely underwhelming. I can certainly see someone saying to me why the hell would I like this guy so much. But Schenker does so many subtle things, even in his shitty tunes, and there are many, he manages to impress.

I guess in a way, it's similar to Lynch's career. I like Dokken pretty much for what they were, but I thought there was way more potential there. But everything I've heard from Lynch has done nothing for me. I cannot listen to a crap tune just to hear him. But somehow I can for Schenker, so go figure. Same goes for Extreme, and with the song that Brent played, The Decadent Dance. Yeah you can hear Nuno playing great, but the song, and the band just does nothing for me.

Re Soto I have almost everything he has done , so will slot in plenty of the older stuff for you.  To be honest I thought you might have labelled the Rata  Blanca as generic Rainbow style and , as evidenced by your roulette, I never quite got a complete handle on your tastes .  So I am not 100% sure what Soto stuff would appeal , but I will continue to play rare Soto related stuff. there's not a lot he did in the Malmsteen style though. 

I'd love to hear more from Soto. The Rata Blanca was awesome though. I love classic Rainbow.

In the past I have considered posting a track listing in the thread but that sorta ruins the surprise of a radio show I think.   If you were happy for me to zip the files then I could incorporate a doc file that has the tracks.  Or I could PM the regulars a tracklist in the days after release.  If anyone wants that then just let me know.

I was thinking about this while finishing the show last night. First of all, these podcasts deserve their own discussion thread with podcast links and setlists posted. Brent, definitely give it a week, and then post the setlist. I'd be all for that. Like if I wanted to target a track from a previous podcast, it would make it easier to find. The cast downloads as one track so you're trying to fast forward to try and find a particular track. The setlist would at least provide a guide.

Again, these podcasts are a gift and your work is much appreciated.

Offline Lowdz

I'm not sure I understand the problem that you seem to be having with the prior podcast Paul?  I don't believe it was an issue for anyone else.....should be a simple mp3.  Or was that the one I did in .rar , trying to reduce file size?   if that's the case then all you need is a zip file extractor to convert to mp3 - a free program like Winrar or 7zip.  Let me know and maybe I can do something.   FWIW I never intended it to be played via the MEGA app (didn't even know you could).

The Lynch track was the bonus Love In Your Eyes..............my fave on that album is probably When Darkness Calls but when I have a bonus I will often use it in case fans of the band haven't heard it.

The band after SX was Divided Multitude.   The band after Alien was Arion.

It may have been the rar. I have a program on the iPad but it just wouldn't show up. Don't worry. It's because I use the iPad I guess. Fucking Apple.

Those two bonus tracks on the Lynch Mob are decent.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgzjtAo60ug

There you go.

That's Kade level shredding right there!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
haha, thanks Jason, I don't know though, Lynch is the fucking man here.

I can understand what Tim is saying though.  I'd find some of his work a little dull too.  his songwriting doesn't match the greatness of his playing a lot of the time.  As Brent said, check Smoke and Mirrors, that one was pretty decent.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
I think Lynch is good, as so many others are and he has a distinctive playing style/tone that sets him apart from most of the others. But I never considered him a guitar god.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Lowdz

I think Lynch is good, as so many others are and he has a distinctive playing style/tone that sets him apart from most of the others. But I never considered him a guitar god.

At the time he was up there. There's nothing that special about it compared to today's players (other than you could tell it was him straight away), but in the early 80s he had something different from other "EVH clones", note choice, phrasing, that tone.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
You guys ready to have your minds blown? Guess what old TAC is finally getting on CD!

WASP- s/t
         -The Last Command
         -The Electric Circus
         -The Headless Children

Twisted Sister- Under The Blade
              -You Can't Kill Rock And Roll
              -Stay Hungry

Obviously, I had these back in the day on cassette, and have downloaded files around here, but I have never gotten the CDs proper. I thank Brent for this because when I heard Ride To Live and The Heretic, I realized it was time!

Oh..and the new Flotsam & Jetsam is AMAZING!!!!!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 03:21:56 PM by TAC »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Deleted

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
It's so hard to go back and buy everything I owned on album and cassette.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
The Headless Children is so fucking good.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
It's so hard to go back and buy everything I owned on album and cassette.

That's just it. I even bought a CD recorder and put these albums on CD. Even cut my cassette covers to make new "CD covers".

WASP has always been an extremely periphery band for me, even back then. Not like I didn't like them, or even love many of their tunes, but I just never kept up with them.

And with Twisted Sister, I have basically been content with the amazing Live At Hammersmith. But it is time!! :metal

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
I used to drive through a predominantly Spanish city, (where I was born)cranking with all 4 windows down, "I Fuck Like a Beast". :lol

What a young dick I was.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I used to drive through a predominantly Spanish city, (where I was born)cranking with all 4 windows down, "I Fuck Like a Beast". :lol

What a young dick I was.

Where the hell is a predominantly Spanish city in New Hampshire?? :lol
Where were you born?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
And some good news in the music world finally, TMAC back on stage.  Just saw this post from him about a month ago;

Hello my Friends,

I would like to say hello to all of you and wish you the best for the spring and summer.

In August and September I will be returning to the studio to work on my newest instrumental release that has long been in the making, but regrettably had to be delayed due to uncontrollable circumstances.

It has been a year since "Concrete Gardens" was been released, and in that time I have had much time to reflect on the very long journey that I have been on since my first album "Edge of Insanity." It is with love and respect that I thank you all for traveling with me on this adventure since the beginning!

I am thrilled to announce that I have been given the green light to return to performing live, and will do that starting on April 30th on tour in Europe with Michel Polnareff Officiel.

Thank you all very much for the positive thoughts, love and support.

The best and only the best to you all. Have a great musical summer! See you out there soon!!

Tony

This made my day.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Yup. That is definitely Day Making material.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni

What a young dick I was.

Where were you born?

Lawrence Massachusetts.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

What a young dick I was.

Where were you born?

Lawrence Massachusetts.

Oh OK. Me; Kansas City (Missouri)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
I moved to N.H.when I was 9.

Thankfully. Lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
"Hey ladies ...........it fucks like a beast"    :metal

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Maybe the dude taking the picture does! ;D

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
"Hey ladies ...........it fucks like a beast"    :metal

Man that hunk sure did.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I can't even believe that is you. :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Come on man. 19 year old king was the king of tail.

Awe yeah.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I'll have to find some pics.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
That pic is fucking classic.  :rollin

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
I was drinking Haffenreffer Private Stock back in those days.  Hardcore baby. :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Is that the one with the puzzles in the bottle caps?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Yup.  You get to the 3rd beer and forget about reading those, aps.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Inspired by Kingshmegland posting some old pics, I'll do the same. I will try and scan a few in tomorrow.

I've posted this before but here I am, backstage with Ken Mary at the Boston Garden 11/17/87.
I was 19.