Author Topic: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)  (Read 317740 times)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)
« Reply #1715 on: April 15, 2020, 10:54:14 AM »
I know about half those songs just by name alone (though I am sure I know all of them). Songs I've heard plenty of times on classic rock radio, and that I don't really have a desire to hear again, by the original artist or a cover band.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1716 on: April 15, 2020, 11:06:03 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvoqtNeQ5uQ&feature=emb_logo

wow. That was pretty bad.

Hope others dig it, but this is a hard pass for me.

Agreed. Music was great, vocals were awful.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1717 on: April 15, 2020, 11:17:50 AM »

I'm with you.  I made it to 0:41 seconds and I'm out.   If I want a cover, I'll go listen to the REM version. 

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1718 on: April 15, 2020, 11:25:14 AM »
Side Note. My oldest son turns 14 on May 2nd. He's a HUGE MP fan.....has seen him play with SOA and met him when TNMB came to town. I did the 'cameo' request with MP for him to record a video for my sons Birthday. Turned out pretty cool. I can't wait to see my sons reaction in a couple weeks.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1719 on: April 15, 2020, 12:01:27 PM »

Agreed. Music was great, vocals were awful.

uh wtf is this?  :lol yea these vocals are not for me at all... I do think it's a bit more interesting that they are doing their own take on the songs so it's not an exact cover but at the same time, this just seems.... bad.

Online HOF

« Reply #1720 on: April 15, 2020, 12:19:08 PM »
I found that song somewhat entertaining. I wouldn’t listen to it regularly or anything though. The video was kind of fun. Is that Butthead on vocals?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1721 on: April 15, 2020, 12:21:08 PM »
I know why Overkill has never really hooked me.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Nachtmerrie

« Reply #1722 on: April 15, 2020, 12:22:31 PM »
What a waste of MP's talent.
I hope he's enjoying his projects but as a fan I feel pretty sad knowing that this is the same guy that brought us all those fantastic albums.

Online faizoff

« Reply #1723 on: April 15, 2020, 12:23:25 PM »
lol at the vocal comments, Bobby Blitz is a bit of an acquired taste I guess. He's been singing thrash metal for eons in one of the oldest and one of my favorite thrash bands 'Overkill'
The vocal processing is kinda weird on that song. Not a bad cover though, I kinda like it.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1724 on: April 15, 2020, 01:12:26 PM »
lol at the vocal comments, Bobby Blitz is a bit of an acquired taste I guess. He's been singing thrash metal for eons in one of the oldest and one of my favorite thrash bands 'Overkill'
The vocal processing is kinda weird on that song. Not a bad cover though, I kinda like it.

I like Blitz in Overkill. Here it sounds weird. Its not that bad though.

Overall, it's an ok cover, it's got energy. I can see why they wanted to record those covers together.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline MarkFitDT

« Reply #1725 on: April 15, 2020, 02:11:37 PM »
my god, the vocals are dreadful.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1726 on: April 15, 2020, 02:29:51 PM »

Same here.  I only know about half the songs by name, and Toys is the only one that I could truly say that I like.  If someone on the Enterprise went onto the holodeck and told it to create a generic 2010s cover of Toys in the Attic, this is exactly what it would spit out.  The vocals were not good, but I've heard worse.  I turned if off about 5 seconds into the gratuitous, generic shredder solo.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1727 on: April 15, 2020, 02:44:54 PM »
The only song on that list I like is Saturday Night Special (I'm a Skynyrd fan) but after that, I think I'll stick to the original.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1728 on: April 15, 2020, 02:47:14 PM »
Lol I actually thought that was kinda fun to listen too.  :laugh:
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1729 on: April 15, 2020, 02:51:23 PM »
The only song on that list I like is Saturday Night Special (I'm a Skynyrd fan) but after that, I think I'll stick to the original.

That is a great song, and also the only song I like as well.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1730 on: April 15, 2020, 03:01:34 PM »

That was the one song on this that stood out to me as well, however, after that single, I don't know.  I do like the metal/punkish vibe I'm getting and I understand Bobby is not some new voice, but it's a reason why thrash is so hit or miss for me and it's because those types of vocals often just don't sound good to my ears.  I'm not hopeful I'd enjoy anything on this album.

Offline DTA

« Reply #1731 on: April 15, 2020, 03:09:29 PM »
This might be the worst thing I've ever heard. Psychosane sounds like Bohemian Rhapsody compared to this abortion. Quality control is officially dead and cremated in MP-land

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1732 on: April 15, 2020, 03:40:19 PM »
This might be the worst thing I've ever heard. Psychosane sounds like Bohemian Rhapsody compared to this abortion. Quality control is officially dead and cremated in MP-land

I LOL'ed reading your comment because it's truly funny.

Having said that, I like the song, it's not something I will listen regularly, but I like it.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1733 on: April 15, 2020, 03:44:16 PM »
And to think that Portnoy once had a problem with JLB's vocals...and is now doing an album with a guy who sounds like a caricature of a South Park character. :lol :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1734 on: April 15, 2020, 03:45:24 PM »
No exaggeration, I think that is the worst song I've ever heard MP play on.

Or this. Yeah.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online HOF

« Reply #1735 on: April 15, 2020, 03:46:24 PM »
As pure metal stuff goes, I’d rather listen to something intentionally silly like this than something unintentionally silly (like about 95% of metal music is, including a lot of DT’s music ;) ).

Online goo-goo

« Reply #1736 on: April 15, 2020, 03:51:33 PM »

:rollin :rollin :rollin

Couldn't watch, just couldn't. Borderline embarrassing in my opinion. Not sure what to think. I like thrash metal but this is just a big WTF. The talent in this new band is there for new and original material. Still don't understand this lineup.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1737 on: April 16, 2020, 07:08:51 AM »

:rollin :rollin :rollin

Couldn't watch, just couldn't. Borderline embarrassing in my opinion. Not sure what to think. I like thrash metal but this is just a big WTF. The talent in this new band is there for new and original material. Still don't understand this lineup.

It was really really bad. I listened to it again because I couldn't believe how bad it was.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1738 on: April 16, 2020, 07:29:59 AM »
at the end of the 'Toys' video (yes, I somehow managed to watch and listen to it all), it says 'to be continued.....'

And I ask myself, 'Why?'

...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1739 on: April 16, 2020, 08:29:52 AM »
at the end of the 'Toys' video (yes, I somehow managed to watch and listen to it all), it says 'to be continued.....'

And I ask myself, 'Why?'

I asked myself the same question.

Although, good job on the video guys at Jib-Jab.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Your sloth is in another castle
« Reply #1740 on: April 16, 2020, 01:02:10 PM »
I’ve come to the conclusion that MP is the Adam Sandler of Metal. His best work is behind him, and all he wants to do nowadays is just projects for fun with his friends with maybe an occasional uncut gem every now and then.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1741 on: April 16, 2020, 01:11:22 PM »
I’ve come to the conclusion that MP is the Adam Sandler of Metal. His best work is behind him, and all he wants to do nowadays is just projects for fun with his friends with maybe an occasional uncut gem every now and then.

I've come to the conclusion that I have a really hard time getting in to any of MP's projects that don't involve Neal Morse. Neal knows how to utilize MP's ability. All the other projects just simply don't. In DT MP had JP to keep him grounded and to capture his ability.......Neal does the same for him. In all the other one's MP is largely unchallenged and I think that's a detriment to him. On top of the fact that IMO the talent in TNMB (& DT for that matter) far outweighs the talent in his other projects.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Your sloth is in another castle
« Reply #1742 on: April 16, 2020, 01:32:05 PM »
I agree 100%.

As for this new cover, I never cared for Aerosmith, and this cover certainly hasn’t changed that. I don’t mind Bobby Blitz in Overkill, but his voice is not suited to sing other people’s songs. I think this album is gonna be a train wreck.

Online HOF

« Reply #1743 on: April 16, 2020, 01:45:31 PM »

I've come to the conclusion that I have a really hard time getting in to any of MP's projects that don't involve Neal Morse. Neal knows how to utilize MP's ability. All the other projects just simply don't. In DT MP had JP to keep him grounded and to capture his ability.......Neal does the same for him. In all the other one's MP is largely unchallenged and I think that's a detriment to him. On top of the fact that IMO the talent in TNMB (& DT for that matter) far outweighs the talent in his other projects.

I don’t think it’s a matter of MP not being utilized in his various projects. He’s just the drummer and he does his thing pretty much no matter what. His projects rise and fall on the strength of the collaborators IMO, and right now for me it’s basically Richie Kotzen and to an extent the guys in FC who are the only collaborators who seem to have anything interesting to offer. Richie is a strong writer. Casey seems to have some songwriting strengths too, though I don’t love everything FC does.

I’ve almost given up on Neal Morse TBH. He hasn’t made a prog album that I’ve enjoyed outside of FC since Testimony. I just can’t get into NMB or most of his solo stuff. Maybe TA still has some magic up its sleeve though.

One thing that seems to separate TWD and FC from his other projects is those songs seem to have been a little bit more crafted rather than just putting a bunch of guys in a room for a week or two and putting down whatever you come up with on tape and calling it an album. Mike loves going to that well because it worked for LTE and the first two Transatlantic albums, but I don’t think it’s really worked too well outside of those albums.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1744 on: April 16, 2020, 01:57:47 PM »
So, I'm not a noob to the Portnoy train, and I've followed most (almost all) the treks off the beaten paths.  Listened to the interviews on Trunk and Used Bin, stuff like that, followed the "Q&A's" he used to do pretty regularly, etc. etc.   

But I've found a question that I'm sure had to have been asked at some point, but I can't recall (nor find) the answer.   

The Cheers theme song, "Where Everybody Knows Your Name" was co-written by Gary Portnoy, from Long Island, born 1956 (he also performed on and sang the song).   He was already an established writer, having written songs in the '80's for Dolly Parton, Glen Campbell, and Air Supply. He's also since put out several solo albums.

Any relation?   

Online HOF

« Reply #1745 on: April 16, 2020, 02:06:23 PM »
I came across that guy recently, and feel like I looked into it and saw somewhere they are not related. Might have found this thread.

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=29649.0

Edit: actually, I bet it was this MP tweet that brought Gary Portnoy to my attention.

https://twitter.com/mikeportnoy/status/571714073202724864?s=21

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1746 on: April 16, 2020, 02:09:18 PM »
From that Answers.com link:

Is Mike Portnoy a satanist?
No, Mike Portnoy is Jewish.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1747 on: April 17, 2020, 05:48:14 PM »

Better than I expected. I like the cover better than the song (vocals too), but I'm no fan of Aerosmith and not a fan of the other songs either.

Would I buy it? No. It does seem like they are having some fun with it, but if it wasn't for Mike being involved with this I wouldn't have bothered with this in the first place.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1748 on: April 17, 2020, 05:49:48 PM »
Did anyone else see his post yesterday about him recording drums for *something* on his old John Bonham-style kit from the Octavarium/Hammer Of The Gods days?

He says it's not for the new Neal Morse solo prog album, and he's already tracked the drums for Transatlantic (unless they're doing a bonus disc last minute). I wonder what it could be...

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1749 on: April 17, 2020, 05:52:58 PM »

I'm with you.  I made it to 0:41 seconds and I'm out.   If I want a cover, I'll go listen to the REM version.

REM version? Yikes.