Author Topic: The Password is One Two Three Four Five...  (Read 4150 times)

Offline Rina

• DTF.org Member
  • ~
Re: The Password is One Two Three Four Five...
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2012, 08:08:06 PM »
That would be 7.2988 x 10^9 years or 7,298,800,000 years. Incidentally that's the same as the time it'd take to crack my DTF password with the dictionary.

Brute Force: 1.52 Days
Dictionary: 7,298,800,000 years
:metal

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2012, 10:36:22 AM »
I have a very hard time believing that website can give even such an approximate time frame in such a quick response.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2012, 10:49:34 AM »
I have a very hard time believing that website can give even such an approximate time frame in such a quick response.

rumborak

This.  And I'm also a bit wary of typing some of my more commonly used passwords into a website that I know nothing about, which is why I haven't done it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2012, 10:55:47 AM »
I don't think any of us needed that website to guess "b0rl@g!s@d00dyhe@d11" as your password.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2012, 11:00:42 AM »
Wow.  The fact that you are only one character off is pretty scary.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2012, 11:01:23 AM »
:lol

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2012, 11:11:38 AM »

rumborak

This.  And I'm also a bit wary of typing some of my more commonly used passwords into a website that I know nothing about, which is why I haven't done it.

The time frame is all simple calculation, especially since, as stated, the dictionary checked is really small.  It's just based on what character sets you use.  Are you using multiple cases; using both letters numbers, using symbols, etc.  The calculation is not unique to your specific password, "AfG6" should be the same as "55yT".  ...which is also why you don't have to type your own password.  Just keep the case, character classes, and length the same, you should get the same result.

Also, when it says 20 years, it means it would take 20 years using a the appropriate character set to try all combinations.  Even the most complicated password can be broken on the first try by brute force if they start randomly.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2012, 11:58:48 AM »
Yeah, I used close approximations of my passwords.  All that matters for accuracy is the size of the keyset and the number of characters. 

And like Yorost said, it's nothing but simple mathematics.  It's as simple as computing 64^96 in my case, then dividing by the number of attempts per year.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2012, 12:10:04 PM »
The calculation uses javascript, so none of your information is transferred outside of your computer.  That's also how it can calculate new values as you add them, because your computer is calculating them.  However, since we're talking about extreme security measures, I understand taking extra precautions.   :tup